Sign in to follow this  
mr Pointy Ears

Did the enterprise have a 2nd officer,and who would it be?.

Dillkid   

I guess it would be Scotty, but it's quite difficult to say for sure as he's main post is in engineering. He usually took command when Kirk and Spock were away though.

Frontier   

Yes, Scotty was the 2nd Officer. Just as Trip was on Enterprise, though we rarely saw this.

Nichelle Nichols has often said that Uhura was next in line (4th in total command after Kirk Spock and Scotty), but considering we never saw her take command (due to the politics of the 1960s) and that we instead saw Sulu take such a post when Scotty was on-planet with Kirk and Spock, I'd discount such.

Scotty   

I think it would be Scotty. He would be the next in line. McCoy would be a Doctor, like Doctor Crusher has a rank but we don't really see her in command. We only ever saw her have a shot in command in season 7. So to speak, yes Scotty would be in command.

Memory Alpha has Scotty listed as the Enterprise's second officer.

Correct. He was second officer during The Original Series.

*Potential Spoiler*

Christopher L. Bennett's novel Ex Machina explicitly states that he remained second officer through the events of The Motion Picture, before Kirk decided that the Enterprise would be better served by having Sulu as second officer, as the latter had impressed Kirk with his quick thinking during the novel's events.

--Captain Sisko