12 replies to this topic

#1 Tone720

Tone720

Church Drunk/Sarcasmo

• 8,693 posts
  • Location:Jadzia Dax's quarters, Level 6, Corridor 1, Deep Space 9

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

http://nakedsecurity....ou-want-a-job/

Utterly disgusting practice, asking for PRIVATE login details that even Facebook themselves advise you don't give to anyone. I can't see any justification for this to be honest (I mean technically it'd mean they could post in your name and censor you, screw that!) and it'd certainly make me think twice about wanting to work for a company that asked for such things. To me it just makes this song more relevant and prophetic.

Posted Image
thanks to Voyager for the userbar :)

Don't pander to me, kid. One tiny crack in the hull, and our blood boils in thirteen seconds. Solar flare might crop up, cook us in our seats. And wait till you're sitting pretty with a case of Andorian shingles. See if you're still so relaxed when your eyeballs are bleeding! Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence.

The P***-artist formerly known as DaxFanDS9 ;)

#2 Scotty

Scotty

Trekcore site content & audio capper

• TrekCore Staff
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

Thats the stupidist thing I've heard this year. I would tell them I don't have a facebook.

TrekCoreSig_NX74205_v2.jpg
Riker
: "Someone once said 'Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make it's own judgements'."
Zefram Cochrane: "Rhetorical nonsense. Who said that?"
Riker: "You did, ten years from now..."

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams RIP 1951-2014

#3 Dillkid

Dillkid

Dillon

• 1,015 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

That is absolutely ridiculous, who are they to think they can scratch and claw their way into people's personal privacy?
Posted Image

#4 Olivia

Olivia

NX-Class Starship

• 38 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

Absolutely shocking!! Why would they even need your facebook details??? Ridiculous i wld not b working ther if it was my employer!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Virogen

Virogen

TrekCore Webmaster

• Omega Sector Admin
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

Yeah there is no reason for this. If you don't trust your employee, why hire him/her?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Tone720

Tone720

Church Drunk/Sarcasmo

• 8,693 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

New development: Even Facebook themselves, known for dodgy privacy issues in the past (but to be fair have never advised anyone to tell someone else their password), have waded in on this one. http://www.mashable....yers-passwords/

Posted Image

Don't pander to me, kid. One tiny crack in the hull, and our blood boils in thirteen seconds. Solar flare might crop up, cook us in our seats. And wait till you're sitting pretty with a case of Andorian shingles. See if you're still so relaxed when your eyeballs are bleeding! Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence.

#7 Cheile

Cheile

Bajoran at heart

• 5,614 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

this likely isn't going to last much longer...

http://news.yahoo.co...-215733992.html

SEATTLE (AP) — A Democratic senator from Connecticut is writing a bill that would stop the practice of employers asking job applicants for their Facebook or other social media passwords, he told The Associated Press on Thursday.

U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal said that such a practice is an "unreasonable invasion of privacy for people seeking work."

fanfic.net/AO3
latest updates ~ The Hand of Wrath (seaQuest, Bridger/Westphalen), newest chapter posted 10/18

~ Rhiohr's #1 fangirl ~

"To all nominating the Enterprise NX-01 [in the ugliest ships and stations topic], I know where you live."
-- Glenn, 1/19/10

me: so in a discussion over at Omega that Glenn started, i've now gotten a mental image of a border patrol vessel pulling over another ship for going warp five in a warp two zone. LMAO! (thanks, Miranda Fave, lol)
Starfire: *Consults a book on intergalactic traffic laws* So that's three points on the captain's licence and a twelve bar latinum fine then ...
DaxFan: ... unless you're in a cloaked ship and the cameras don't catch you. This is the REAL reason Sisko had a cloak on the Defiant ;)
-- from my facebook, 9/6/10

Posted Image

[icon by Bel! &&thx to Voyager for my Odo/Kira fanbar!!]
Posted Image

#8 Olivia

Olivia

NX-Class Starship

• 38 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:33 AM

this likely isn't going to last much longer...

http://news.yahoo.co...-215733992.html

SEATTLE (AP) — A Democratic senator from Connecticut is writing a bill that would stop the practice of employers asking job applicants for their Facebook or other social media passwords, he told The Associated Press on Thursday.

U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal said that such a practice is an "unreasonable invasion of privacy for people seeking work."

yeah good stuff!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Dillkid

Dillkid

Dillon

• 1,015 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:08 AM

That's great to hear
Posted Image

#10 Starblind

Starblind

Trekkie Goth.

• 10,268 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

Nice to see some common sense and decency prevailing for once.

"Ah, you seek meaning. Then listen to the music, not the song." - Ambassador Kosh Naranek

Posted Image

#11 maneth

maneth

Intrepid Explorer

• 3,687 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

Indeed. I'm utterly shocked. But then I come from a country where it's technically illegal for employers to do an internet search on their potential employees without requesting permission first.

Besides, smart employers know that what someone said online when they were 13 says nothing about their potential value as an employee at 23.

IDIC

Posted Image

#12 captain spock

captain spock

Sovereign-Class Starship

• 7,823 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:14 AM

i would never hand over my pass word to my boss,no 1 its invasion of of privacy, none of their bees wax, if it measn losing my job , it called a attorney.

#13 Tone720

Tone720

Church Drunk/Sarcasmo

• 8,693 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

So Facebook, the US Goverment (well, some senators), and also the UK Government are ALL against such practices with the governments investigation breaches of local laws by this practice...
http://www.guardian....ails?CMP=twt_gu

Posted Image

Nebula image in header courtesy Ali Ries.