Time between ST IV and V

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Maltz

Maltz

Vulcan D'Kyr-Class

• 133 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

How soon after the end of TVH does TFF begin? They'd certainly had plenty of time in which to redesign the Enterprise-A bridge.

#2 Dirk Benedict

Dirk Benedict

Real Starbuck

• 5,078 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

I'd hazard a guess anytime between a month to three months. Can't be more than a year, I'd imagine the Yorktown/Enterprise-A conversion wasn't that great. Time for the crew to go on Shore Leave. Scotty's "aye and we saw what she's got" log reference.

"Those who dare to fail miserably, [can] achieve greatly" John F. Kennedy

Posted Image

Posted Image

"When you are down and out something always turns up - and it is usually the noses of your friends."
Orson Welles

#3 Ishimura

Ishimura

Daedalus-Class Starship

• 168 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

Yeah, "'Let's see what's she got', said the captain. And then we found out didn't we?" So, yeah it couldn't have been that long a period of time. I guess they took her out for a spin then headed back to Spacedock with a lot of problems. So, it was probably within a few months.

Remember the stardate in IV is 8390 and the stardate in V is 8454.1. So, that should explain it right there as to how much of a gap it is between films. And of course we all know the date of VI 9521.6.

Edited by Ishimura, 26 March 2012 - 02:19 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Captain Willard Decker

Captain Willard Decker

Starfleet Captain

• 1,048 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:33 PM

Agree with the above comments. It's likely that several weeks elapsed, at most, between the films. Most of the literature providing details about dating in the Star Trek universe suggests that The Final Frontier takes place in early-2286, with only a short time having passed following the events of The Voyage Home.

--Captain Sisko

TrekCoreSig_KirkTMP.jpg

#5 Maltz

Maltz

Vulcan D'Kyr-Class

• 133 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

The Okuda Chronology has ST II and III in 2285, ST IV in 2286, and ST V in 2287. Personally, I don't agree with this; I think II, III, IV and V all occur within the same year, 2285.

#6 Zef'No

Zef'No

Klingon Bird-of-Prey

• 567 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

The only time reference in ST:V is Kirk's line to Scotty: "You told me you could have the ship operational in two weeks. I gave you three. What happened?"
So, three weeks seems to be the answer.

As for ST:IV, Kirk said: " We are in the third month of our Vulcan exile."
Suggesting 3 months passed between ST:IV and ST:III.

There was also reference to the mutineers of the HMS Bounty "500 years ago" - the mutiny took place in 1789 putting ST:IV around 2289.
And Dr. Taylor said she had "300 years of catch-up learning to do", she is generally beleived to be from 1986, so this puts the bulk of the film around 2286.

There was a line spoken by President Jaresh-Inyo in Homefront (2372) that a state of emergency hadn't been declared on Earth in "a century". That would seem to refer to ST:IV, putting the date as early as 2272. - He was presumably exaggerating though because we know from Generations that Kirk had retired from Starfleet from at least 2282 to 2284. ST:II (and the subsequent films) would therefore have to be after 2284.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Sehlat Vie

Sehlat Vie

Omega Sector Moderator, Loveable Vulcan House-Pet

• Moderators
  • 14,360 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

The Okuda Chronology has ST II and III in 2285, ST IV in 2286, and ST V in 2287. Personally, I don't agree with this; I think II, III, IV and V all occur within the same year, 2285.

I don't; the entire cast got considerably older (7 years!) between STII and V. Kirk's waistline expanded. Uhura went gray. And poor Scotty got a bit thick in the midsection as well... all in a year?? I don't think so. Not to mention the ship replaced its bridge module between IV and V. I assume that took a bit of time as well.

The Okuda Chronology works for me.
As they say in "A Piece of the Action"; "Don't make any cracks about the book!" ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Maltz

Maltz

Vulcan D'Kyr-Class

• 133 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

Well TWOK begins on Kirk's birthday, which the majority of sources state is March 22nd. He boards the Enterprise on its training cruise the following day. At a guess, I'd say TSFS starts about a week after the end of TWOK, so late March - early April. The film only seems to cover a couple of days, a week at the most. TVH starts three months after the end of TSFS, making it July. Now I reckon it's possible that about a month passes between the Bounty crashing in San Franciso Bay and the trial of the Enterprise crew (Earth would have needed some time to fully recover from the devastation caused by the Cetacean Probe). Assuming TVH ends in late July - early August, and there's three weeks between then and the beginning of TFF, then TFF takes place around towards the end of August, 2285. :) (Incidentally, the Kirk sections of the novel To Reign in Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh would occur within the three week period between TVH and TFF).

P.S: Of course, if we were to take the first DC Comics series into account, then we might be able to stretch the time period further, as the comics posited additional adventures between II, III and IV (e.g. Kirk and co taking command of Excelsior for a while before having to abandon it and return to Vulcan in a captured Klingon BoP - again), but there's so much stuff in that series that contradicts later canon, I'm a bit reluctant to include it.

Edited by Maltz, 01 March 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#9 Sehlat Vie

Sehlat Vie

• Moderators
  • 14,360 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

Well TWOK begins on Kirk's birthday, which the majority of sources state is March 22nd. He boards the Enterprise on its training cruise the following day. At a guess, I'd say TSFS starts about a week after the end of TWOK, so late March - early April. The film only seems to cover a couple of days, a week at the most. TVH starts three months after the end of TSFS, making it July. Now I reckon it's possible that about a month passes between the Bounty crashing in San Franciso Bay and the trial of the Enterprise crew (Earth would have needed some time to fully recover from the devastation caused by the Cetacean Probe). Assuming TVH ends in late July - early August, and there's three weeks between then and the beginning of TFF, then TFF takes place around towards the end of August, 2285. :) (Incidentally, the Kirk sections of the novel To Reign in Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh would occur within the three week period between TVH and TFF).

P.S: Of course, if we were to take the first DC Comics series into account, then we might be able to stretch the time period further, as the comics posited additional adventures between II, III and IV (e.g. Kirk and co taking command of Excelsior for a while before having to abandon it and return to Vulcan in a captured Klingon BoP - again), but there's so much stuff in that series that contradicts later canon, I'm a bit reluctant to include it.

Take Einstein's special relativity as they cruise at high impulse (sublight speeds) and it all works out... :laugh: :P
Besides; I thought the comics aren't 'canon'? Another reason I always say canon is only as 'permanent' as the writers need it to be.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 Maltz

Maltz

Vulcan D'Kyr-Class

• 133 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

I'm sure I read somewhere that Harve Bennett stated there was a six-month shakedown cruise for the Enterprise-A between TVH and TFF. If so, then TFF begins some time in January 2286, but the Yosemite scenes suggest a time in early Fall.

#11 Sehlat Vie

Sehlat Vie

• Moderators
  • 14,360 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

I'm sure I read somewhere that Harve Bennett stated there was a six-month shakedown cruise for the Enterprise-A between TVH and TFF. If so, then TFF begins some time in January 2286, but the Yosemite scenes suggest a time in early Fall.

Not to undermine Bennett's considerable contributions to ST, but as they say, "It don't mean a thing if it ain't on the screen..." ;)

If it's not mentioned in dialogue? Then as far as I'm concerned Bennett's timeline doesn't really matter. It's not helped by the fact that some of the actors look more than a bit older than they did in TVH (particularly Nimoy and DeForest Kelly)

It must've been a hell of a six months.... :dontgetit:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 Maltz

Maltz

Vulcan D'Kyr-Class

• 133 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

Regardless, I don't think there's any way it can be more than six months after TWOK. The only way to make it be a year or two is if there were several months worth of additional adventures between TWOK and TSFS, and between TSFS and TVH (in addition to the three months Kirk says they've been in exile on Vulcan at the beginning of TVH).

Edited by Maltz, 14 July 2013 - 04:49 PM.

#13 Sehlat Vie

Sehlat Vie

• Moderators
  • 14,360 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

Regardless, I don't think there's any way it can be more than six months after TWOK. The only way to make it be a year or two is if there were several months worth of additional adventures between TWOK and TSFS, and between TSFS and TVH (in addition to the three months Kirk says they've been in exile on Vulcan at the beginning of TVH).

Who's to say there weren't some adventures during their six-month shakedown? Point is, we can never know. The time interval is as long as the writers need it to be.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 Maltz

Maltz

Vulcan D'Kyr-Class

• 133 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

But if there was a six month shakedown cruise between TVH and TFF, then TFF would open in January/February. But the Yosemite scenes strongly indicate a time later in the year.

#15 Sehlat Vie

Sehlat Vie

• Moderators
  • 14,360 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

But if there was a six month shakedown cruise between TVH and TFF, then TFF would open in January/February. But the Yosemite scenes strongly indicate a time later in the year.

Did anyone in STV mention that it's autumn, or do we really know for certain that its supposed to be summer? Again, all the 'dates' are conjectural. They're never mentioned on screen. I don't recall any character in STIV mentioning that it was winter, or any character in STV mentioning it was summer or fall. It's just conjecture and not important to the story. Usually, if you ask one of the actors or writers involved, they'll just answer with 'artistic license'... ;)

My bigger question about STV is how the HELL did the Enterprise get from Nimbus III the center of the galaxy in only a couple of hours..... now THAT'S really screwing with time. :dontgetit:

Edited by Sehlat Vie, 15 July 2013 - 01:27 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Anvil Grey

Anvil Grey

NX-Class Starship

• 39 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

The novels aren't canon, but Provenance of Shadows depicts the events of the The Voyage Home from McCoy's POV. About a week passes between the crew's trial and their bording Enterprise. But we don't know how much time passed between the crew being rescued from San Francisco Bay and their court martial. I would imagine it took several days if not weeks to fully debrief each crew member about the events of both TSFS and TVH. The Federation Council had already finished their deliberations according to the Federation President, but I'd think they'd have met at least once after the Cetacean Probe Incident to discuss lesser charges for the crew, as all the charges except Kirk's insubordination beef were dropped.

--Commander Grey
Posted Image

Nebula image in header courtesy Ali Ries.