Excelsior's Bridge - ST3 vs ST6

86 replies to this topic

#1 adamclark83

Daedalus-Class Starship

• 156 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

The Excelsior was a very nice looking ship but which bridge do people think matched perfectly with its looks?

Star Trek III
Posted Image

Star Trek VI
Posted Image

I would say ST6's bridge was the perfect match.
Lily Collins - The most stunningly beautiful Snow White

#2 JayTheTrekkie

TNG & VOY Fan

• 13,202 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

You forgot the Excelsior's Bridge from Star Trek: Generations

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Happy Russia

Omega Sector Moderator, Resident Freak of Nature

• Moderators
  • 9,358 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

View PostJayTheTrekkie, on 13 March 2012 - 02:47 PM, said:

You forgot the Excelsior's Bridge from Star Trek: Generations

It was an Excelsior class starship, I dunno if that'll count. I think the question is more or less about which bridge fit the Excelsior specifically. It was supposed to be the next great step in starship design and engineering. While in ST3, it was meant to look advanced, and more so than the Enterprise, it came off as goofy and maybe a little too big. I wouldn't even begin to know where or how certain controls and sub-stations are. It looks like it was built with a TV series budget. In ST6, it was perfect. More uniformed to other starship bridges, like the Enterprise, but also sporting a classier, more advanced look at the same time. Little details, like the Captain's mini-table, as well as the screen on the back wall, make it feel more advanced, while still feeling like a working bridge.

#4 Dillkid

Dillon

• 1,015 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

I think the bridge on Star Trek IV is really nice looking. In some ways (The size and layout I guess) it reminds me of the Enterprise E's bridge.
Posted Image

#5 mr Pointy Ears

Klingon Vor'Cha

• 2,344 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:57 AM

Dont forget that the Excelsior was an experimental ship in 2285, so it would have a few years service by the time sulu took command of the ship.i prefer the the undiscovered country bridge.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 Starblind

Trekkie Goth.

• 10,267 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

ST VI wins for me. The little perch for Sulu's tea set alone puts it about a 1000 miles ahead of ST III's bridge for me :giggle:

"Ah, you seek meaning. Then listen to the music, not the song." - Ambassador Kosh Naranek

Posted Image

#7 Ishimura

Daedalus-Class Starship

• 156 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

The bridge during Sulu's command is my favorite. The original design was just a little to bulky and pretentious for my taste.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 mr Pointy Ears

Klingon Vor'Cha

• 2,344 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:31 AM

The excelsior wasnt in generation,it was the Enterprise B,an excelsior class ship,have to go with sulu's bridge.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 Karen Snow

Starfleet Captain

• 1,047 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:03 PM

The bridge used in The Undiscovered Country gets my vote.

--Captain Sisko

"Quantum singularities give me gas." --Captain Karen Snow

#10 VolcanoLogic

Andorian Kumari-Class

• 61 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

I will also cast my vote for the Star Trek VI version... IMO, it was the best for the Excelsior. I will add that I also think that the Star Trek VI version of the Enterprise's bridge is my favorite of all the original film Enterprise bridges.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Sehlat Vie

Omega Sector Moderator, Loveable Vulcan House-Pet

• Moderators
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

The bridge in STVI looked functional; the bridge in STIII looked like something out of Toys R Us. I think the STIII bridge served it's purpose though, as the Excelsior in that movie was just a comic footnote. When it became a serious ship of the line, it was time to change that bridge with something less laughable. And yes, Sulu's tea cup moment was great; reminded me of the T-Rex footsteps in water in Jurassic Park (and it predated JP by two years....). Nice to see Sulu finally get his own command, too.

According to Michael Okuda, the Excelsior was fitted with a more 'standard' bridge module when it's transwarp experiments were abandoned. And as for the Ent-B having a slightly different bridge look? I'd say that was in keeping with the fact that it was an Excelsior class variant; notice the flared engineering hull (so as not to damage the model during the Nexus damage sequence), and the slightly different blue-glowing capped nacelles with little 'fins' atop of them as well...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 DATA2007

8472 Bio-Ship

• 1,290 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

Star Trek VI version but i do prefer the Enterprise-B Bridge, ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 thestartrekker

The Phoenix

• 23 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

As I understand it, the bridge is supposed to be modular, so you could take one out and replace with another easily. They could also function as an escape pod / life-boat in an evacuation. This is supposed to account for the change in bridge designs between movies and relatively short time frames. That being said I think I'd plug for TSFS bridge, it seems more spacious and sleeker, representative of a whole new class of vessel.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#14 The Green Ranger

The Evil Most Powerful Power Ranger

• 1,554 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

I am all for the VI:TUC Bridge. I didnt like the fact (As i didnt like about the TOS bridge) of the bridge only having one way in or out. EX ASTRIS has some good diagrams of the two.(or 3)

http://www.ex-astris...2000-bridge.jpg ST:III

http://www.ex-astris...sior-bridge.jpg ST:VI

http://www.ex-astris...se-b-bridge.jpg ST:GEN
Formally: Sherlock Holmes

Posted Image

Posted Image

"I truly believe, that Art thrives on restrictions."-NICHOLAS MEYER

"Imagination is more important than knowledge "-ALBERT EINSTIEN

#15 Anvil Grey

NX-Class Starship

• 39 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

The bridge from The Undiscovered Country is one of my favorites. It's much more compact and actually looks like a Starfleet bridge, with clearly marked stations and shades of TNG with the dual consoles for helm and ops/navigation.

--Commander Grey
Posted Image

#16 Sehlat Vie

• Moderators
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

View PostAnvil Grey, on 11 August 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

The bridge from The Undiscovered Country is one of my favorites. It's much more compact and actually looks like a Starfleet bridge, with clearly marked stations and shades of TNG with the dual consoles for helm and ops/navigation.

--Commander Grey

And the areas of red along the back wall (albeit a richer shade) are sort of a nice nod to the original series....

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Sehlat Vie, 11 August 2013 - 09:38 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 Anvil Grey

NX-Class Starship

• 39 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

View PostSehlat Vie, on 11 August 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

And the areas of red along the back wall (albeit a richer shade) are sort of a nice nod to the original series....

Good catch! I'd never thought about that. The other nice thing with the TUC bridges is the seeming standardization of Federaton technology, another nice holdover from TOS and previous films. There were times in TNG when I felt the producers got away from that by using kit-bashes and thrown together bridges that weren't truly Starfleet style.

--Commander Grey
Posted Image

#18 Sehlat Vie

• Moderators
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:35 AM

View PostAnvil Grey, on 11 August 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

View PostSehlat Vie, on 11 August 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

Good catch! I'd never thought about that. The other nice thing with the TUC bridges is the seeming standardization of Federaton technology, another nice holdover from TOS and previous films. There were times in TNG when I felt the producers got away from that by using kit-bashes and thrown together bridges that weren't truly Starfleet style.

--Commander Grey

You could tell they only spent real money on 'permanent' set bridges; the average 'ship-of-the-week' would just be a few walls with fake monitors and schematics arranged around a center seat; the bare bones bridge of the starship "Sutherland" (in "Redemption part 2") comes to mind. Or they use a redress of the ST movie bridge sets (only the sections needed).
Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 Zef'No

Klingon Bird-of-Prey

• 566 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

View PostSehlat Vie, on 12 August 2013 - 02:35 AM, said:

You could tell they only spent real money on 'permanent' set bridges; the average 'ship-of-the-week' would just be a few walls with fake monitors and schematics arranged around a center seat; the bare bones bridge of the starship "Sutherland" (in "Redemption part 2") comes to mind. Or they use a redress of the ST movie bridge sets (only the sections needed).

Yeah. It's fairly obvious that everytime they needed a new (starfleet) bridge on early TNG, they use a redress of the Battle Bridge set. The Stargazer, the Hathaway, the Enterprise-C, it's always the same. Can't really blame them I suppose.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 The Founder

Galaxy-Class Starship

• 2,837 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostZef'No, on 12 August 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

View PostSehlat Vie, on 12 August 2013 - 02:35 AM, said:

Yeah. It's fairly obvious that everytime they needed a new (starfleet) bridge on early TNG, they use a redress of the Battle Bridge set. The Stargazer, the Hathaway, the Enterprise-C, it's always the same. Can't really blame them I suppose.

My favorite - the Nebula-class - I think got it the worst. There are like 10 different bridges for that ship.

THE FOUNDER'S OMEGA SECTOR FLEET

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Star Trek

Spy - Patriot - Soldier - Warrior

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users