Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Excelsior's Bridge - ST3 vs ST6

100 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

The Excelsior was a very nice looking ship but which bridge do people think matched perfectly with its looks?

Star Trek III

tsfshd0614.jpg

Star Trek VI

tuchd0050.jpg

I would say ST6's bridge was the perfect match.

Posted · Report post

You forgot the Excelsior's Bridge from Star Trek: Generations

Posted · Report post

You forgot the Excelsior's Bridge from Star Trek: Generations

It was an Excelsior class starship, I dunno if that'll count. I think the question is more or less about which bridge fit the Excelsior specifically. It was supposed to be the next great step in starship design and engineering. While in ST3, it was meant to look advanced, and more so than the Enterprise, it came off as goofy and maybe a little too big. I wouldn't even begin to know where or how certain controls and sub-stations are. It looks like it was built with a TV series budget. In ST6, it was perfect. More uniformed to other starship bridges, like the Enterprise, but also sporting a classier, more advanced look at the same time. Little details, like the Captain's mini-table, as well as the screen on the back wall, make it feel more advanced, while still feeling like a working bridge.

Posted · Report post

I think the bridge on Star Trek IV is really nice looking. In some ways (The size and layout I guess) it reminds me of the Enterprise E's bridge.

Posted · Report post

Dont forget that the Excelsior was an experimental ship in 2285, so it would have a few years service by the time sulu took command of the ship.i prefer the the undiscovered country bridge.

Posted · Report post

ST VI wins for me. The little perch for Sulu's tea set alone puts it about a 1000 miles ahead of ST III's bridge for me :giggle:

Posted · Report post

The bridge during Sulu's command is my favorite. The original design was just a little to bulky and pretentious for my taste.

Posted · Report post

The excelsior wasnt in generation,it was the Enterprise B,an excelsior class ship,have to go with sulu's bridge.

Posted · Report post

The bridge used in The Undiscovered Country gets my vote.

--Captain Sisko

Posted · Report post

I will also cast my vote for the Star Trek VI version... IMO, it was the best for the Excelsior. I will add that I also think that the Star Trek VI version of the Enterprise's bridge is my favorite of all the original film Enterprise bridges.

Posted · Report post

The bridge in STVI looked functional; the bridge in STIII looked like something out of Toys R Us. I think the STIII bridge served it's purpose though, as the Excelsior in that movie was just a comic footnote. When it became a serious ship of the line, it was time to change that bridge with something less laughable. And yes, Sulu's tea cup moment was great; reminded me of the T-Rex footsteps in water in Jurassic Park (and it predated JP by two years....). Nice to see Sulu finally get his own command, too.

According to Michael Okuda, the Excelsior was fitted with a more 'standard' bridge module when it's transwarp experiments were abandoned. And as for the Ent-B having a slightly different bridge look? I'd say that was in keeping with the fact that it was an Excelsior class variant; notice the flared engineering hull (so as not to damage the model during the Nexus damage sequence), and the slightly different blue-glowing capped nacelles with little 'fins' atop of them as well...

Posted · Report post

Star Trek VI version but i do prefer the Enterprise-B Bridge, ;)

Posted · Report post

As I understand it, the bridge is supposed to be modular, so you could take one out and replace with another easily. They could also function as an escape pod / life-boat in an evacuation. This is supposed to account for the change in bridge designs between movies and relatively short time frames. That being said I think I'd plug for TSFS bridge, it seems more spacious and sleeker, representative of a whole new class of vessel.

Posted · Report post

I am all for the VI:TUC Bridge. I didnt like the fact (As i didnt like about the TOS bridge) of the bridge only having one way in or out. EX ASTRIS has some good diagrams of the two.(or 3)

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/bridges/excelsior-nx2000-bridge.jpg ST:III

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/bridges/excelsior-bridge.jpg ST:VI

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/bridges/enterprise-b-bridge.jpg ST:GEN

Posted · Report post

The bridge from The Undiscovered Country is one of my favorites. It's much more compact and actually looks like a Starfleet bridge, with clearly marked stations and shades of TNG with the dual consoles for helm and ops/navigation.

--Commander Grey

Posted (edited) · Report post

The bridge from The Undiscovered Country is one of my favorites. It's much more compact and actually looks like a Starfleet bridge, with clearly marked stations and shades of TNG with the dual consoles for helm and ops/navigation.

--Commander Grey

And the areas of red along the back wall (albeit a richer shade) are sort of a nice nod to the original series....

Constitution_class_refit_bridge,_2293.jpg

4657999119_1f71449032_z.jpg

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Posted · Report post

And the areas of red along the back wall (albeit a richer shade) are sort of a nice nod to the original series....

Good catch! I'd never thought about that. The other nice thing with the TUC bridges is the seeming standardization of Federaton technology, another nice holdover from TOS and previous films. There were times in TNG when I felt the producers got away from that by using kit-bashes and thrown together bridges that weren't truly Starfleet style.

--Commander Grey

Posted · Report post

Good catch! I'd never thought about that. The other nice thing with the TUC bridges is the seeming standardization of Federaton technology, another nice holdover from TOS and previous films. There were times in TNG when I felt the producers got away from that by using kit-bashes and thrown together bridges that weren't truly Starfleet style.

--Commander Grey

You could tell they only spent real money on 'permanent' set bridges; the average 'ship-of-the-week' would just be a few walls with fake monitors and schematics arranged around a center seat; the bare bones bridge of the starship "Sutherland" (in "Redemption part 2") comes to mind. Or they use a redress of the ST movie bridge sets (only the sections needed).

Posted · Report post

You could tell they only spent real money on 'permanent' set bridges; the average 'ship-of-the-week' would just be a few walls with fake monitors and schematics arranged around a center seat; the bare bones bridge of the starship "Sutherland" (in "Redemption part 2") comes to mind. Or they use a redress of the ST movie bridge sets (only the sections needed).

Yeah. It's fairly obvious that everytime they needed a new (starfleet) bridge on early TNG, they use a redress of the Battle Bridge set. The Stargazer, the Hathaway, the Enterprise-C, it's always the same. Can't really blame them I suppose.

Posted · Report post

Yeah. It's fairly obvious that everytime they needed a new (starfleet) bridge on early TNG, they use a redress of the Battle Bridge set. The Stargazer, the Hathaway, the Enterprise-C, it's always the same. Can't really blame them I suppose.

My favorite - the Nebula-class - I think got it the worst. There are like 10 different bridges for that ship.

Posted · Report post

My favorite - the Nebula-class - I think got it the worst. There are like 10 different bridges for that ship.

Even the Galaxy class had a couple of different bridges (the Odyssey in DS9's "The Jem'Hadar" and the Yamato in TNGs "Contagion").

Posted · Report post

Even the Galaxy class had a couple of different bridges (the Odyssey in DS9's "The Jem'Hadar" and the Yamato in TNGs "Contagion").

Which confuses me. You have a personally good set for those ships from TNG. Why not simply use it to film those other ships?

Posted · Report post

Which confuses me. You have a personally good set for those ships from TNG. Why not simply use it to film those other ships?

Maybe it's because they wanted to show that, despite being the same ship class, each ship is unique in its own way. (Which I think is a lovely idea. I dunno.)

Posted · Report post

I think seeing differences is preferable to what they did in TOS, where every bridge was identical apart from possibly very minor details in the captain's chair or whatever.

Change is interesting, and helps the audience to know that we're not on the Enterprise anymore.

You've also got to bear in mind that even the Enterprise-D bridge changed quite a bit over the years. It annoys me in All Good Things how they didn't get the captain's chair right. (I also love the differences seen in episodes such as Yesterday's Enterprise, Future Imperfect and Parallels.)

The Yamato in Where Silence Has Lease did of course have a bridge identical to the (season two) Enterprise-D, even down to the dedication plaque I think (a goof they didn't think people would notice).

Posted · Report post

The Yamato in Where Silence Has Lease did of course have a bridge identical to the (season two) Enterprise-D, even down to the dedication plaque I think (a goof they didn't think people would notice).

Picture-161-300x227.png

"ONE RIKER! ONE BRIDGE!!"

One of the earlier, 'cave-Worf' moments.... :laugh:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0