Photo

If You Could Remove Anything From Canon...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Dillkid

Dillkid

Dillon

• 1,015 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

So I thought of this little idea earlier on, if you where given the Gene Roddenberry/Rick Berman head role of the Star Trek franchise, what would you have officially removed from Star Trek canon? I myself really am not fond of Romulus going up in flames in the 2009 film, so It'd be hard not for me to pick that. It's probably because I love them so much, and I feel that there was much more to see from the empire in the future. But what would you have removed?
Posted Image

#2 Scotty

Scotty

Trekcore site content & audio capper

• TrekCore Staff
  • 4,283 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

It would be a few things.

1. I would make it a rules that all writers, actors watch all the series and films that came before.

2. Point out o fans that the 2009 is actually in an alternate reality. example; a relaity like we seen in the TNG episode parrells.

3. I would then make plans to make a series based on the real Enterprise and build sets to match the TOS ones from the Original.

4. Make Enterprise, a alternate reality.

5. All fans site, like Trekcore a right to show videos, write about the show. Making sure they are not profiting from it.

6. I would have Paramount Pictures/CBS hold a vote on waht era that everyone wants to see.

7. Have a TNG animated series done, which could be an hour long. It would make those actors be ok with not worrying about getting too old to play Data.

TrekCoreSig_NX74205_v2.jpg
Riker
: "Someone once said 'Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make it's own judgements'."
Zefram Cochrane: "Rhetorical nonsense. Who said that?"
Riker: "You did, ten years from now..."

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams RIP 1951-2014

#3 Captain Rachel Garrett

Captain Rachel Garrett

Omega Sector Moderator, Captain of the Enterprise-C

• Moderators
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

NEMESIS. Make it go away.

Formerly known as "Varekai"

My List of Fanfictions * My Artwork and LJ Icons

Posted Image

#4 Tone720

Tone720

Church Drunk/Sarcasmo

• 8,693 posts
  • Location:Jadzia Dax's quarters, Level 6, Corridor 1, Deep Space 9

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:14 AM

Just One Thing?

Seven. Of. Nine.

Posted Image
thanks to Voyager for the userbar :)

Don't pander to me, kid. One tiny crack in the hull, and our blood boils in thirteen seconds. Solar flare might crop up, cook us in our seats. And wait till you're sitting pretty with a case of Andorian shingles. See if you're still so relaxed when your eyeballs are bleeding! Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence.

The P***-artist formerly known as DaxFanDS9 ;)

#5 Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin

Omega Sector Moderator, Wise & Mighty Old One

• Moderators
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:41 AM

I would eliminate canon from canon. The whole notion of lines written by paid professional writers and delivered by paid professional actors carrying nearly Biblical weight is patently ludicrous. There are more internal contradictions in Trek than in the Bible and the cinceit of "canon" in both universes should be ignored.
"Into the sands of blood comes the Sho-Rin, master of the Mutai." Babylon 5 - TKO

#6 Happy Russia

Happy Russia

Omega Sector Moderator, Resident Freak of Nature

• Moderators
  • 9,518 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:09 AM

Well, I'd get rid of about 70% of Voyager, especially all that crap about easily beating the Borg as they did week after week.... :thumbdown:

As much as I enjoyed the episode, I'd scratch out that meeting between Archer's crew and those Ferengi pirates.

I'd only probably remove the destruction of Romulus from the 2009 movie. As previously stated, it's an alternate universe, separate from original canon.

KIRK DOESN'T DIE. KIRK DOESN'T DIE. KIRK DOESN'T DIE. KIRK... DOESN'T... DIE! If anything, have him survive the fight with Soran. Afterward, he re-enters or exits the Nexus (depending on where they actually are, whether that's actually a back-in-time Veridian III or another part of the Nexus) and re-emerges on the Enterprise-B bridge. Then he decides to come out of retirement and commandeer the new Enterprise. :biggrin:

My Facebook My deviantART

TrekCoreSig_Genesis.jpg

TrekCoreSig_Zappa.jpg

"So I bless you with my curse, there are ties that you must sever. You'll be better when you're worse. You must die to live forever...."

#7 JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie

TNG & VOY Fan

• 13,202 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

Here's what I would remove and change:

Movies:

1. Get rid of Star Trek: The Motions Picture and make a different one....I didn't like the first trek movie, it was so boring lol

2. Star Trek: Nemesis - Not have Data die...get rid of the prototype one instead which would have Picard think it was actually Data

3. Star Trek XI: Not have Vulcan destroyed in the alternate timeline

TV Series:

TNG: Not have Tasha died...keep her around longer and have her depart but not die

DS9: Get rid of Ezri Dax by not having Jadzia Dax die

VOY: Less Janeway/Chakotay focus. Have more Seven of Nine/Torres focus :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Dillkid

Dillkid

Dillon

• 1,015 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

2. Star Trek: Nemesis - Not have Data die...get rid of the prototype one instead which would have Picard think it was actually Data

I'm gonna have to agree with this as well, 8 year old me was crushed when I saw the ending to that movie. You can't kill of Data and expect people to be happy with it! :thumbdown:

Edited by Dillkid, 07 March 2012 - 02:43 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Dirk Benedict

Dirk Benedict

Real Starbuck

• 5,078 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

Generations.

Pulaski.

Chocolate sundaes.

"Those who dare to fail miserably, [can] achieve greatly" John F. Kennedy

Posted Image

Posted Image

"When you are down and out something always turns up - and it is usually the noses of your friends."
Orson Welles

#10 mr Pointy Ears

mr Pointy Ears

Klingon Vor'Cha

• 2,384 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

Man, i wouldnt know where to start,think i wouldnt touch the orginal series(perfect the way it is),i would make slight changes to the next generation like keeping beverly in all 7 season,get rid of wesley a lot sooner,same with DS9,i would have the regular recurring characters on more instead of being in the new dax.

Voyager,hire writers have known what they are writing about and rule the star trek bible,(like seven one week they says thi and this about her,then they write something completely different the next time around)i wouldnt have kes, i would have more interaction between the starfleet personal of voyager(like they planned to in the beginning).

Enterprise-rewind back to the begining and start from stratch.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#11 Dillkid

Dillkid

Dillon

• 1,015 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:27 AM

All I would really change about Enterprise is the annoyances of things like meeting The Borg and The Ferengi 200 years earlier than they were supposed to, and have them create more interesting main characters from the start. I would have much preferred it if they had a 5 year break in between Voyager and Enterprise. The writers were burned out.
Posted Image

#12 maneth

maneth

Serving under Lt. Reed

• 3,664 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

Khan, I can't stand that arrogant piece of...

IDIC

Posted Image

#13 Cheile

Cheile

Bajoran at heart

• 5,614 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:05 AM

one thing? just one.

in that case: BRAGA. :P

oh wait, you mean in the shows themselves...hmm.

DS9: Jadzia does not die, thank you very much

Voyager: Chakotay/Seven is OUT. J/C slowly built over season seven and hints of Kim/Seven instead of the one tease we got and never again. grrr.

Enterprise: no killing off of Trip.

Trek XI: Abrams would have been banned. there will be no destruction of any major known worlds, thank you. Trek XI would have been a DS9 movie, possibly the plot of the DS9 novel Unity adapted to the big screen (much as i would have hated to see Shakaar's death become canon, it would have made a great movie) :P

Edited by Cheile, 10 March 2012 - 05:09 AM.

fanfic.net/AO3
latest updates ~ The Hand of Wrath (seaQuest, Bridger/Westphalen), newest chapter posted 10/18

~ Rhiohr's #1 fangirl ~

"To all nominating the Enterprise NX-01 [in the ugliest ships and stations topic], I know where you live."
-- Glenn, 1/19/10

me: so in a discussion over at Omega that Glenn started, i've now gotten a mental image of a border patrol vessel pulling over another ship for going warp five in a warp two zone. LMAO! (thanks, Miranda Fave, lol)
Starfire: *Consults a book on intergalactic traffic laws* So that's three points on the captain's licence and a twelve bar latinum fine then ...
DaxFan: ... unless you're in a cloaked ship and the cameras don't catch you. This is the REAL reason Sisko had a cloak on the Defiant ;)
-- from my facebook, 9/6/10

Posted Image

[icon by Bel! &&thx to Voyager for my Odo/Kira fanbar!!]
Posted Image

#14 Tone720

Tone720

Church Drunk/Sarcasmo

• 8,693 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

That tease we got of Kim/Seven was one-sided really though.

Posted Image

Don't pander to me, kid. One tiny crack in the hull, and our blood boils in thirteen seconds. Solar flare might crop up, cook us in our seats. And wait till you're sitting pretty with a case of Andorian shingles. See if you're still so relaxed when your eyeballs are bleeding! Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence.

#15 Dillkid

Dillkid

Dillon

• 1,015 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

Do you mean that early Season 4 episode where Seven had only been separated from the collective for a few weeks?
Posted Image

#16 Tone720

Tone720

Church Drunk/Sarcasmo

• 8,693 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:15 AM

Yes. The one episode where she was trying to learn to read social signals and misread them a bit... -,-

Posted Image

#17 Abena

Abena

Klingon Bird-of-Prey

• 589 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:19 AM

Ezri. She pretty much gutted Dax for me. I would have either shipped Jadzia off to Trill or anywhere or killed her without replacing her with someone so incompetent.

For Voyager, I would have avoided adding a Borg as a member of the crew. She was basically a Vulcan/Android rip off that made everyone else's position obsolete. Instead of giving her an area of expertise, the writers made her omniscient, causing her to overshadow everyone else. Data was knowledgeable, but he didn't take over everyone's jobs like Seven did either. Also, I would avoid creating a character to prance around the ship in a catsuit. It's a cheap, desperate ploy for ratings.
Posted Image

#18 mordex

mordex

The Phoenix

• 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

TOS:
• Chekov. Let's be honest, the series would have been just as good (if not a little better) without him.
• Nomad wiping Uhura's memory, then her having to relearn everything in a week.

TNG:
• Wesley "Ruin Every Scene By Being In It" Crusher
• Dr. Pulaski
• Data being able to activate/deactivate his emotion chip in final movies.
• Worf/Troi relationship

DS9:
• Vic Fontaine
• Erasing Kurn's memory
• Genetically Enhanced Dr. Bashir

VOY:
• I'd be cool with just tossing all of it.

ENT:
• Every Vulcan on that show being so emotional.

XI:
• Spock & Uhura kiss
• Death of Amanda
• Destruction of Vulcan
• The giant red monster on ice planet (because it wasn't built to live in a tundra environment)

Edited by mordex, 16 March 2012 - 06:07 PM.

#19 Abena

Abena

Klingon Bird-of-Prey

• 589 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:21 AM

I must protest your comment about Chekov. He was adorable, and without him, we would have never had learned that anything of signification that happened in the world occurred in Russia.

Data would have been better without an emotion chip altogether
Posted Image

#20 Dillkid

Dillkid

Dillon

• 1,015 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

I must protest your comment about Chekov. He was adorable, and without him, we would have never had learned that anything of signification that happened in the world occurred in Russia.

Data would have been better without an emotion chip altogether

I think the emotion chip was good for the evolution of the character, without that we wouldn't have gotten that legendary ending to First Contact.
Posted Image

Nebula image in header courtesy Ali Ries.