Do you know anything about cars?!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 MadamHoney

MadamHoney

Resident Garak Nut

• 2,205 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

When I went out to my car this morning the wing mirror had been pushed in, nothing new there, however when I went to move it back into the right position I discovered it was barely hanging on. Anyone know if there's an easy way to fix it? Or am I going to have to go to the garage? It's not an electric mirror so it's not fancy. At the moment I've got some tape wrapped round it which looks just great. :P

My husband is away till Sunday night so I can't get him to look at it, not that he knows anything about cars anyway - lol. I've had a look on the web but it just goes on about getting a new mirror from a scrapyard, the mirror is fine, it's the fixing that's broken. I don't even know which garage to go to as nothing mentions wing mirrors. :confused:

Posted Image

Kiss the girl, get the key! They never taught me that in the Obsidian Order!
Ah, but I got off several cutting remarks which no doubt did serious damage to their egos.
Odo: You'd shoot a man in the back? Garak: It's the safest way, isn't it?

#2 rta-man

rta-man

Omega Sector Moderator, Gaming Developer

• Moderators
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

When my side-view mirror popped out, I used Gorilla Glue to reattach it. It never came off again.
Posted Image

#3 MadamHoney

MadamHoney

Resident Garak Nut

• 2,205 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

I haven't had the chance to properly look at it yet, but from what I can see it's the bit that allows it to swivel inwards that's broken. There's a plastic wing comes off the car and the mirror sits on top of it and swivels on it. So if I glued it I wouldn't be able to move it at all. (But then again neither would the annoying people that keep pushing it in - lol).

Posted Image

Ah, but I got off several cutting remarks which no doubt did serious damage to their egos.

#4 JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie

TNG & VOY Fan

• 13,202 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

The only option is take your car to a garage and get it fixed which would probably be pretty expensive to get fixed.

Or you could ask one of your friends (or neighbors that live on your street) if they know anyone who fixes cars as a hobbie.....you still have to pay though, won't be as expenseive of course.

Edited by JayTheTrekkie, 17 February 2012 - 12:23 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin

Omega Sector Moderator, Wise & Mighty Old One

• Moderators
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

I agree with the use of glue. Cut or break it off completely and get rid of the broken pivot. Use two-part epoxy glue or some other thick adhesive that will stick to plastic and attach the movable piece to the stationary piece in the normal operating position. Do NOT try to use "Super Glue" as you need a lot of very flat contact area for that to work and the mating surfaces of that mirror assembly don't qualify. <ounting a new mirrir probably requires partial disassembly of the door and the labor cost alone will be over 100 Pounds. Can you legally shoot the people who are doing this?
"Into the sands of blood comes the Sho-Rin, master of the Mutai." Babylon 5 - TKO

#6 maneth

maneth

Serving under Lt. Reed

• 3,677 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:56 PM

What are the MOT regulations over there? A temporary fix like that would be legal here for a short time, but not as a permanent fix.

IDIC

Posted Image

#7 MadamHoney

MadamHoney

Resident Garak Nut

• 2,205 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

Can you legally shoot the people who are doing this?

You'd think so wouldn't you?! lol.

Thanks, I've got it securely taped for now but feel sure some idiot will make an attempt to move it. Gluing sounds a good idea thinking about it, it's no skin off my nose if I can't move it but it will annoy them alot!! lol.

To be honest Maneth I don't know, I'll have to have a look on-line, I'm fairly sure my husband won't have a clue!

Posted Image

#8 rta-man

rta-man

• Moderators
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

Or call a local junkyard for the whole side view mirrror assembly. It'll be cheaper than getting one from a dealer. Replacing it only requires a couple of screws; and it should take you, or your husband, no longer than an hour to replace.
Posted Image

#9 MadamHoney

MadamHoney

Resident Garak Nut

• 2,205 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

I've had a look on-line and getting the mirror's no bother it's the bit that attaches to the car I can't find that the mirror swivels on top of. I also had a look at MOT rules. You have to have a drivers side mirror, the opthers are optional. Kind of annoying seeing as I rarely use mine but I use the other 2 all the time, being a town driver. It didn't say anything about what state of repair it needed to be in though - lol.

Posted Image

#10 rta-man

rta-man

• Moderators
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:08 AM

MOT rules? Does this state how a mirror needs to be replaced? How are these rules enforced?

If you can't find replacement instructions online, you still have two other options:

1. Purchase either a Chiltons or Haynes manual for your vehicle from any car parts store chain (Auto Zone, CarQuest, NAPA, Western Auto). These manuals describe, in layman's terms, how to replace just about anything on your car.

2. Find the above manuals at your local library and copy the pages that relate to your repair.
Posted Image

#11 MadamHoney

MadamHoney

Resident Garak Nut

• 2,205 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

I found out on-line how to attach a new mirror, it's just finding the parts. I've looked on-line and the mirror for my make and model doesn't look the same as what I have on my car. I tried to attach a photo of mine so you could see the difference but it didn't like it. Mine has an attachment to the car that the mirror swivels on top of. I've found a photo from a Citreon that is similar only mine's not so bulky looking. But you can see how the mirror sits into the bit that attaches to the car so it can swivel in and out. It's this swivelling joint that's broken.
Below is the suggested Rover mirror I found on-line. Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 rta-man

rta-man

• Moderators
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

Since there's confusion about the part online, you're best bet would be to go to a local junkyard. That way if they give you a different mirror, you can show them what's on your car.

Either that, or enter a different year or model in your online search criteria. They might have your mirror listed under a different year or model.
Posted Image

#13 maneth

maneth

Serving under Lt. Reed

• 3,677 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

MOT rules? Does this state how a mirror needs to be replaced? How are these rules enforced?

In most European countries and certainly in the EU, cars need to get checked out by a certified mechanic every year or every two years. If they fail the test badly enough, you won't be allowed to drive the car out of the garage where it's been tested. For less risky failures, they'll tell you to get it fixed and come back within a month to prove you've fixed the problem. The system works because you won't see completely out of this world mods on cars, and most are in a reasonable state of repair. Or if they aren't, they'll soon be taken off the road. Drivers carry their most recent MOT certificate with the car's registration and if a cop stops you for any reason, you have to show the certificate. If you haven't had your car tested within the time limit, cops can fine you and in severe cases confiscate your driving license.

IDIC

Posted Image

#14 rta-man

rta-man

• Moderators
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:42 AM

^ OK. That's the same as the vehicle safety inspection most states have here. A sticker is applied to the windshield that displays the inspection is current. If a car fails inspection in Massachusetts, a red sticker is applied and the owner needs to fix it and be re-inspected within 30 days. In Alabama, no mandated vehicle inspection exists. When I lived there, I've seen cars drive down the street with no hood covering the engine.
Posted Image

#15 MadamHoney

MadamHoney

Resident Garak Nut

• 2,205 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

LOL You have to wonder about places like that, don't they think safety might be important?!

I've had a look at various years and models and none of them are the same. My husband had a look yesterday when he got back, complimented me on my sticky taping - lol. And said it was solid enough for now. I think we might just have to give in and go to a garage and ask their advice. Or get a mirror that doesn't match the other one - lol. As long as there is a functioning mirror that isn't a danger to anyone ie has sharp parts, it's fine. I'm just wary that someone is going to end up undoing the tape and breaking the mirror when they find it doesn't move - cause some people seem to be petty like that!

Thanks for the advice. :happy:

Posted Image

#16 MadamHoney

MadamHoney

Resident Garak Nut

• 2,205 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

I just discovered my car is in fact a Rover 600 not 200 series as I thought. Seriously, I am such a bad example of women and cars!! lol. You'd never think I watch Top Gear every week. ;) Not that it helps as nowhere does anything for a 600 but least it explains a few things - lol. DOH!!

Posted Image

#17 Tone720

Tone720

Church Drunk/Sarcasmo

• 8,693 posts
  • Location:Jadzia Dax's quarters, Level 6, Corridor 1, Deep Space 9

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

Well that's understandable, Top Gear isn't even half as much about actual cars anymore.

Posted Image
thanks to Voyager for the userbar :)

Don't pander to me, kid. One tiny crack in the hull, and our blood boils in thirteen seconds. Solar flare might crop up, cook us in our seats. And wait till you're sitting pretty with a case of Andorian shingles. See if you're still so relaxed when your eyeballs are bleeding! Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence.

The P***-artist formerly known as DaxFanDS9 ;)

#18 MadamHoney

MadamHoney

Resident Garak Nut

• 2,205 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

Well that's understandable, Top Gear isn't even half as much about actual cars anymore.

And long may it continue!!! :thumbup:

Posted Image

#19 rta-man

rta-man

• Moderators
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

Ahh... a 200-series instead of a 600-series. That should fix the problem.
Posted Image

#20 MadamHoney

MadamHoney

Resident Garak Nut

• 2,205 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

Ahh... a 200-series instead of a 600-series. That should fix the problem.

Actually there is very little in the way of spares out there for the 600 series for some reason, perhaps they're good cars and don't go for scrap often? However, the 400 series looks like it could fit - fingers crossed - lol. What a going on.

Posted Image

Nebula image in header courtesy Ali Ries.