Sign in to follow this  
Hellfighter

The Turkish version of TOS

Haha, nice. Thanks for sharing this. Does anyone know about any other "local versions" of Star Trek?

I must say I'm kind of glad my polish folks didn't decide to make their own version, though. :D

Ela,

I work with a native of Warsaw named Ela so you are my second encounter with that name. She is in our main office in Montreal, Quebec. When I was in Warsaw years ago, I watched an episode of TNG narrated by one guy in Russian. He didn't try to recite the spoken lines, more like told what the story was about as it went along. You could still hear the original voices in the background. It was really strange.

Well... Ela is not my real name, just the first that came to my mind ;) But it's popular here indeed.

I know what you mean, you were watching it with a reader. In Poland all movies on the TV are broadcasted like that and we're used to it. I myself don't find it a problem. While watching something on my own, on a laptop, however, I prefer no reader and no subs at all, since it's the only way I don't feel like totally wasting my time instead of studying ;)

I'm a Czech philology student, btw, and one many things we, Poles, find weird in our neighbours is that they dubb EVERY.SINGLE.MOVIE, which we find equally annoying as you probably found the reader :biggrin:

Here's a nice sample for anyone interested :)

Edited by Ela_Araphel

Ela, That reminds me of my visit to Istanbul many years ago. I watched a segment ot the movie "Driving Miss Daisy" that had been dubbed into Turkish. Interestingly, the voices were a perfect match for the original actors and the emotional content was perfect.

BTW, your English is Excellent! You must have been studying since early childhood or you lived for a time in an English speaking (writing) country.

Well... yeah, if you have a group of very talented dubbing actors it's possible to make them sound almost exactly like in the original. I've noticed this while having a kind of nostalgic youtube yourney through my favourite Disney movies in many languages. But... really, I can't stand dubbing in non-animated movies and there's nothing I can do about this :)

Wow, thanks! Actually I've never moved out of Cracow. Maybe, unlike I thought, "ready to beam down", "sickbay" and "vessel" are not the only "frequently used in life" words I've learnt from TOS ;)