Sign in to follow this  
Hellfighter

Leonard Nimoy makes his last convention apperance

Damn, I never got to meet him.

Leonard Nimoy bid goodbye to the world of conventions on October 2, 2011, at Creation Entertainment’s Official 45th Anniversary Star Trek Convention in Rosemont, Illinois. His final con appearance began with a surprise video assembled by Creation Entertainment featuring all seven of the main stars of Star Trek (2009) and director JJ Abrams sharing memories and good wishes to their costar. Perhaps the best moment was Karl Urban doing his best Dr. McCoy during his tribute. When Leonard Nimoy took to the stage, the audience cheered its own good wishes for the actor who was very much the heart of Star Trek.

nimoy-1002-1.jpg

Leonard Nimoy bids farewell to conventions at Star Trek Chicago Con 2011

A wonderful presentation followed where Leonard Nimoy shared his life story through words, poetry, and pictures. Especially moving were photos of his days as a young man growing up in Boston. He shared many great experiences, discussing how various people, including Senator John F. Kennedy who was a passenger in his cab, had inspired him with their words and deeds.

When the time arrived for Nimoy to take his leave, he did so with grace and quietly, while the sold out room was filled with fans holding up signs expressing their appreciation for all that Nimoy has done. In a kind gesture, Nimoy asked that a cake be shared with the audience of fans as he signed autographs.

nimoy-1002-2.jpg

Leonard Nimoy began attending conventions during their earliest days. He has been Spock for almost 47 years considering the first, unsold pilot. And he has been a consistent and generous convention guest for close to four decades, sharing with fans laughs and tears, jokes and worthy ideas.

He has been, and ever shall be, our friend.

nimoy-1002-3.jpg

Voyager   

This was in the paper today. Hasn't he been saying this is his 'last' appearance for ages now?

If this really is his last, I'm glad I got the chance to see him a few years ago.

maneth   

I wish Mr Nimoy a happy retirement. I never got to meet him either but I've only read positive comments from people who have.

Tone720   

This was in the paper today. Hasn't he been saying this is his 'last' appearance for ages now?

If this really is his last, I'm glad I got the chance to see him a few years ago.

I also thought he had actually said conventions he did a couple of years back were his last. Of course that could have changed due to XI as it was before that I kept hearing this.

I do wish him a happy retirement, peace and long life though. Utter legend.

Edited by DaxFanDS9

I met him at 2009 Comic Con. He was a real class act, too. Signed two autographs (one for my wife and I, one for my sister). Here's the pic (my hands may have been shaking; hence a slight blurriness). Meeting Nimoy was one of about five times I can remember at a convention where I've ever been genuinely star struck. :biggrin:

gallery_4836_42_157349.jpg

That ranked right up there with Ray Bradbury, Buzz Aldrin and Edward James Olmos .... :worthy:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Great picture, Sehlat Vie. Thank you for sharing that with us. Leonard Nimoy is an incredible actor and without him, Star Trek would not be the same. Sad to see he won't be at any more conventions, though.

Corylea   

Thanks for sharing that picture, Sehlat Vie!

Mr. Nimoy took a role that could have been silly and filled it with grace and dignity; every Star Trek fan owes him a debt.

Thanks for sharing that picture, Sehlat Vie!

Mr. Nimoy took a role that could have been silly and filled it with grace and dignity; every Star Trek fan owes him a debt.

You're welcome.

And yes, I agree 100%. Nimoy made that role one of the most memorable and iconic roles in the history of the television medium. And he was a very nice guy, too. :thumbup:

I was there and the second to last autograph he ever signed. It was a lovely time. I was just behind a guy who was showing Nimoy his antique camera and Nimoy made a little joke about stealing it.

Heard some people complaining afterwards that he didn't take questions. To be honest, the complaining annoyed me. After 45 years involved with Trek, including producing some of the best of it and after almost as long on the con circuit he's earned the right to have his last hurrah any way he wanted it.

I wasn't even going to go until he announced it was his last.

There were some in Vegas last year who were sure he'll show up at least there if he makes it to Trek's 50th.

Even if he continues to live long and prosper I wouldn't bet on it.

I was there and the second to last autograph he ever signed. It was a lovely time. I was just behind a guy who was showing Nimoy his antique camera and Nimoy made a little joke about stealing it.

Heard some people complaining afterwards that he didn't take questions. To be honest, the complaining annoyed me. After 45 years involved with Trek, including producing some of the best of it and after almost as long on the con circuit he's earned the right to have his last hurrah any way he wanted it.

I wasn't even going to go until he announced it was his last.

There were some in Vegas last year who were sure he'll show up at least there if he makes it to Trek's 50th.

Even if he continues to live long and prosper I wouldn't bet on it.

He shook my hand and signed two autographs for me (and my sister; who had a terrific crush on him as a kid). He even thanked me. He was awesome-ness... :thumbup: