Sign in to follow this  
Ishimura

The Animated Series

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

There really is nothing in TAS that is more ridiculous than things that happened in Voyager or Final Frontier.

Or even TOS; space hippies, Spock's brain, telekinetic brats, "Gorgon" the evil 'angel', etc...

True! I think I was thinking that unlike say...some people turn into lizards because they went too fast...TAS seems completely restrained in it's science comparably!

If you take the stories of TAS (away from the cheap animation or occasional subpar voice-acting), they're really quite interesting. Yes, some are goofy as all hell ("The Infinite Vulcan's 'giant Spock' is just too stupid for words), but others work very nicely (if done properly, some would've made very nice live-action episodes). Again, this is why I 'pick and choose' my personal head-canon. It's all fiction; so I just try to relax and have fun with it.

There really is nothing in TAS that is more ridiculous than things that happened in Voyager or Final Frontier.

Or even TOS; space hippies, Spock's brain, telekinetic brats, "Gorgon" the evil 'angel', etc...

True! I think I was thinking that unlike say...some people turn into lizards because they went too fast...TAS seems completely restrained in it's science comparably!

If you take the stories of TAS (away from the cheap animation or occasional subpar voice-acting), they're really quite interesting. Yes, some are goofy as all hell ("The Infinite Vulcan's 'giant Spock' is just too stupid for words), but others work very nicely (if done properly, some would've made very nice live-action episodes). Again, this is why I 'pick and choose' my personal head-canon. It's all fiction; so I just try to relax and have fun with it.

I feel the same way. I do similar things with Doctor Who...there are stories from Big Finish's audio story I consider more interesting and more worthy of canon than things that happened in the actual show in the 80s. I discount a good chunk of the TV movie, but Paul McGann's audio advenutres are as canon as the come for me. I agree that TAS has some interesting ideas that could've easily worked in live action.

I own the whole series ($15 Walmart 5 years ago), and I love it. But there is too much radical stuff that happened to make it canon. Remember the Baloon decoy enterprise? Or the force field belts that disappeared from existence? SO I voted no, but its a damned good series.

I own the whole series ($15 Walmart 5 years ago), and I love it. But there is too much radical stuff that happened to make it canon. Remember the Baloon decoy enterprise? Or the force field belts that disappeared from existence? SO I voted no, but its a damned good series.

The balloon Enterprise was a bit much, but it was also from an episode called "Practical Joker" (the Enterprise computer gone haywire) so I give it a pass; it was essentially a comedy episode, much like the shenanigans of "I, Mudd."

As for the forcefield belts? Maybe they were experimental prototypes that the Enterprise crew tried, and when asked how they liked them, replied "Not so much" on the comment cards from Starfleet R&D. :P

The balloon Enterprise was a bit much, but it was also from an episode called "Practical Joker" (the Enterprise computer gone haywire) so I give it a pass; it was essentially a comedy episode, much like the shenanigans of "I, Mudd."

As for the forcefield belts? Maybe they were experimental prototypes that the Enterprise crew tried, and when asked how they liked them, replied "Not so much" on the comment cards from Starfleet R&D. :P

My head canon was pretty similar. They were experimental...maybe too many red shirts died using them!

And again, Balloon Enterprises...SALAMANDER CAPTAIN JANEWAY. I'll take a balloon Enterprise over that in terms of what I'll buy any day.

My head canon was pretty similar. They were experimental...maybe too many red shirts died using them!

And again, Balloon Enterprises...SALAMANDER CAPTAIN JANEWAY. I'll take a balloon Enterprise over that in terms of what I'll buy any day.

Actually, the idea of the ship's computer going haywire and constructing a balloon version of itself is nowhere near the level of crazy of Paris & Janeway turning into giant salamanders, mating, and leaving their 'kids' to fend for themselves shortly after birth (!). Giant balloons in space have a long history in spaceflight; from the early US satellite Echo 1 (which was a giant passive satellite which bounced radio signals off its reflective mylar surface) to the various giant parachutes and airbags deployed to safely land the recent Mars rovers. And if an enemies' sensors were confused or somehow inoperative, a balloon decoy of the ship might be a clever (if very temporary) diversionary strategy (maybe if the Enterprise deployed one at the battle of the Mutara Nebula in TWOK, she might not have taken such an ass kicking).

TAS = canon to me. :P

I'm on the side of TAS as canon.

I usually put canon into 3 groups.

Group 1 is canon that should always be followed, It's stuff that been said over and over again. Usually in more than one show. Spock is a Vulcan. You can't suddenly change him to a Klingon for no reason. You can't change the Prime Directive without explanation.

Group 2 are things that probably should be followed but if it messes up a good script, I don't mind them breaking them. They're usually thing that have been said or shown more than a few times but it's not really stressed in the show. Having a species act a little different in different shows is under this category for me, NG Trills vs DS9 Trills.

Group 3 are things that were said once or twice, They're kinda canon but I really don't care about them. If you tried to include all of them, the Star Trek book of canon would be tens of thousands of pages long.

TAS is canon on my book. It appears the Roddenberry and Richard Arnold's memo tto Paramount to make it not-canon does not apply anymore. Thank God.

I just love the original Filmation soundtrack - I wish that this soundtrack was released in a CD box set along other Filmation soundtacks for TARZAN LORD OF JUNGLE, HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE and so forth.

Gus

If you are a huge fan of the Filmation cartoons like me (including STAR TREK) then I recomend this wonderful book by TwoMorrows Publishing on the history of Filmation.

From Aquaman to Star Trek to He-Man, every Filmation shows are covered in detail. Go for it and thank me later.......

61LMEu9zdpL.jpg

Here is an episode of Filmation's Justice League of AMerica cartoon - years before the camp Super-Friends cartoons from Hanna Barbera. Filmation ruled.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

I miss old school animation like this. I know CGI is superior and 3D is hard to leave behind, but I miss my Saturday morning cartoons.

I miss old school animation like this. I know CGI is superior and 3D is hard to leave behind, but I miss my Saturday morning cartoons.

I think CG can do wonderful things, but I don't think it is superior, just different.

I also loved the Filmation's TARZAN. What an excellent cartoon. ANd their FLASH GORDON is a great homage to Alex Raymond's comic strip. Great score, too.

A CGI upgrade of the animated series is a goodf idea. Like a Star Trek version of CLONE WARS, done all in CGI. In the 1990s, they have this very ambitious SECRET OF VULCAN FURY game which looked amazing with a CGI recreation of TOS, but the game was cancelled at the last minute. Here is a trailer.

I'll never understand why they killed it at the last. Still have never really gotten the story on that. It was all but done.

I wish the voice recordings could be used to maybe create new episodes...hell anything. I'd take just the audio so I could get some of the last work done by Deforest Kelley. It's a lost Trek advenutre I'd happily enjoy.

The fact is that Interplay, for reasons I do not know, cancelled a lot of games that year. They produced the excellent Starfleet Academy and they were really hyping Vulcan Fury, only to announce at the last minute that theb game was cancelled.

Interplay opening sequence to Starfleet Academy game, starring William Shatner and George Takei

Gus

Sign in to follow this