Sign in to follow this  
Ishimura

The Animated Series

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Now, I know this has been an ongoing debate for quite some time now and things haven't really been finalized or set in stone as to if this series is canon to the Star Trek story or not, but ever since it was recognized to have it's own DVD set, I'm sure opinions have changed. For me, I would personally have to say that I think TAS is canon. I mean, there is no reason for it not to be, and it also technically does continue the 5-year mission of James Kirk. D.C. Fontana herself said that she felt that TAS covered year 4 of the mission. I on the other hand, would just conclude that the Animated adventures finish up the mission for Kirk before we see them together again 5 years later...Ironic. :P But yeah, back to the topic at hand, I would say that it's canon.

I went for "On Certain Levels..." because it introduced Kirk's middle name, and it also introduced the Caitian species in the form of M'Ress. It was sort of "canon-ised" when there was a real life member of the species on The Voyager Home.

MRess.jpg

Caitian-brown.jpg

But Gene Roddenberry officially had it removed from canon back in 1988, so I'm not entirely sure.

I voted for it being canon. The only thing I'm a little shaky on is the invention of the holodeck, which is shown in TAS, but the movies/TNG suggest it hadn't been developed at that stage.

I voted for it being canon. The only thing I'm a little shaky on is the invention of the holodeck, which is shown in TAS, but the movies/TNG suggest it hadn't been developed at that stage.

But then again, I'm sure I remember either Harry or Tom telling the other in one of the early seasons of Voyager that they spent time in holodecks when they were children.

But then again, I'm sure I remember either Harry or Tom telling the other in one of the early seasons of Voyager that they spent time in holodecks when they were children.

That would only make it around the 2340s, long after TAS. I think Holodecks had been around for a while before TNG, but they were only becoming more sophisiticated/popular around that time.

That would only make it around the 2340s, long after TAS. I think Holodecks had been around for a while before TNG, but they were only becoming more sophisiticated/popular around that time.

Like the difference between the Internet in say, 1995 and about 8 years ago you mean? The popularity spreads as the technology advances.

I went for "On Certain Levels..." because it introduced Kirk's middle name, and it also introduced the Caitian species in the form of M'Ress. It was sort of "canon-ised" when there was a real life member of the species on The Voyager Home.

MRess.jpg

Caitian-brown.jpg

But Gene Roddenberry officially had it removed from canon back in 1988, so I'm not entirely sure.

I wonder why he did that? I guess he didn't feel he was in complete control of the show. But if that's the case, why didn't he attempt to have the following Star Trek films removed from canon after TMP? He was an executive consultant for TAS in addition to all of the subsequent movies after the controversy of TMP. Interesting. I mean, what did he have to lose by removing canon from TAS? In a way, TAS was a way for the crew behind Trek to really explore new worlds and not have to worry about budget costs since it was animation. I guess since it was on Saturday mornings and it was geared more towards the kids, he figured the main stream audience wouldn't see those episodes and thus probably would have not known any changes if they occurred without them watching it. That's all I can think of. I mean, adults wouldn't really be the ones watching the show unless it was at night, like TOS. And even so, they probably wouldn't care to watch it since it was a cartoon. But who knows.

The Animated Series can be canon if you want it to be, and I want it to be. I think it tells interesting Star Trek stories, with the original cast involved, and while the animation is cheap and the soundtrack gets a tad repetitive, and maybe some of the voice acting is a little to stiff (mostly because of the real difference between voice actors and screen actors)...there is still a lot of creativity here. I like that there are so many weird aliens seen in this show, the kind of stuff that just isn't easy to pull off in the limitations of all the other live action Trek. These aliens seem truly alien, much moreso than the color of the week from the Original show and the forehead of the week from the subsequent series. This show had creativity, and was created with the mindset that it was a true continuation of the series...I say it is most definitely worthy of being canon if you so choose.

I pick and choose my head canon, and I already like TAS anyway so... yeah; for me? It's head canon. For that matter, I consider Star Trek Continues and Phase 2 canon as well. ;)

Its canon in my book. S#@*w Paramount for saying it was not canon. It wa sproduced by DC Fontana with the voices off Shatner, Nimoy and the cast. Canon, canon, canon.

Here is the complete library of music recorded by Filmation for Star Trek The Animated Series. One of the best scores created for a animated series on the 1970s. A few of these tracks were also used in others Filmation's cartoons like Lassie and The Rescue Rangers and Tarzan Lord of the Jungle

Score by Ray Ellis.

Enjoy the TAS music. It brings really nice memories to me.

Gus

TAS was written and cast by almost all of the original folks, so it's canon, animated or not.

Dorothy Fontana, Samuel Peeples, David Gerrold, Margaret Armen, David Harmon and even Walter Koenig (!) all contributed scripts. Yes, the lackluster animation format didn't do the stories full justice, but they were still good stories (not all, of course; even TOS' batting average wasn't by any means perfect). And yes, there are canonical inconsistencies, but that's been a problem with ST throughout its lifetime (in VGR we see Janeway and crew strolling 1990s Venice Beach, California with no mention of the 'devastating' Eugenics Wars...).

And every incarnation of ST has episodes that are sometimes best left forgotten ("Spock's Brain" "Omega Glory" "Threshold" etc) but they still happened. TAS had TOS writers and cast members. The only feature that prevents some from accepting it as 'real' is that it's animated, and that is utter bubkes to me. Clone Wars is canonical to Star Wars; and the IDW Star Trek graphic novels are canon (at least according to Bob Orci).

For me? I grew up watching TOS and TAS roughly about the same time, so I just saw one as 'nighttime' Star Trek and the other as a shorter, 'morning' Star Trek; but it was still every bit Star Trek to me...

I never quite understood why Paramount more or less cut it loose. Disney jettisoning the continuing Star Wars novels, I get, but this is Star Trek in every way except the 35mm film.

As far as I'm concerned, TAS is FAR more canon than Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. :dry:

Both had trips to the center of the galaxy which uncovered powerful aliens who were mistaken for 'gods' or 'demons'; or in this case, witches ("The Magicks of Megas-Tu"). ;)

themagicksofmegastu_014.JPG

themagicksofmegastu_055.JPG

There really is nothing in TAS that is more ridiculous than things that happened in Voyager or Final Frontier.

There really is nothing in TAS that is more ridiculous than things that happened in Voyager or Final Frontier.

Or even TOS; space hippies, Spock's brain, telekinetic brats, "Gorgon" the evil 'angel', etc...

"Megas Tu" is a pretty cool idea. Certainly among the best TAS episodes, IMO.

Oh, and as for the question whether TAS is canon ... I'm undecided. I certainly don't think it should not be considered canon, just because it's animated. But I'm not sure I can get past it that Chekov no longer belongs to the crew, yet this was never mentioned again anywhere else.

I liked that David R. George III considered TAS canon in his huge 40th Anniversary epic retrospect TOS trilogy "Crucible", though. It worked very well there, IMO.

Oh, and as for the question whether TAS is canon ... I'm undecided. I certainly don't think it should not be considered canon, just because it's animated. But I'm not sure I can get past it that Chekov no longer belongs to the crew, yet this was never mentioned again anywhere else.

I liked that David R. George III considered TAS canon in his huge 40th Anniversary epic retrospect TOS trilogy "Crucible", though. It worked very well there, IMO.

"Pick and choose" canon works for me... :laugh:

For me, ST canon is like buying fruit; if it feels ripe and looks good? I buy it. If it's gone bad or smells funny? I discard it.... :P

Or even TOS; space hippies, Spock's brain, telekinetic brats, "Gorgon" the evil 'angel', etc...

True! I think I was thinking that unlike say...some people turn into lizards because they went too fast...TAS seems completely restrained in it's science comparably!

Sign in to follow this