First appearance of the BORG

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Autocad

Autocad

Daedalus-Class Starship

• 165 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:27 PM

Just curious, as far at the TV episodes we aired, when did the Borg first appear. I think it was in TNG.

And second, in the Star Trek Canon, when did the Borg first appear, was it Enterprise series?
thanks...

John

#2 Voyager

Voyager

Lost in the Delta Quadrant

• 15,421 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:40 PM

The Borg first appear in the Next Generation episode 'Q Who', which aired the 8th of April 1989. In Terms on cannon, their first appearance was in the movie 'First Contact' hen they went back in time to April 2063.

Posted Image

#3 Autocad

Autocad

Daedalus-Class Starship

• 165 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:44 PM

The Borg first appear in the Next Generation episode 'Q Who', which aired the 8th of April 1989. In Terms on cannon, their first appearance was in the movie 'First Contact' hen they went back in time to April 2063.

Thanks, I did see 'First Contact' but don't remember the Borg connection, I guese I was thinking TV series.

I suppose a follow up trivia question would be, (not including 7 of 9), which series had the most BORG stories. At one time, there was a DVD collection, od that, I suppose I should borrow and watch it.

NETFIX had put up the entire Voyager and TOS for viewing, so I have been watching them.

Again, thanks for the answer,

John

#4 Dillkid

Dillkid

Dillon

• 1,015 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:15 PM

Thanks, I did see 'First Contact' but don't remember the Borg connection, I guese I was thinking TV series.

I suppose a follow up trivia question would be, (not including 7 of 9), which series had the most BORG stories. At one time, there was a DVD collection, od that, I suppose I should borrow and watch it.

NETFIX had put up the entire Voyager and TOS for viewing, so I have been watching them.

John

Voyager has 22 episodes that had some sort of Borg involvement, though some of them were things like holograms. I'm not sure if you count that or not, but take them away and that series is still in the lead for appearances made by the collective.

Edited by Dillkid, 05 August 2011 - 05:16 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Ishimura

Ishimura

Daedalus-Class Starship

• 156 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

I thought the Borg first appeared in the late 23rd century at El Auria. But, I guess this was before the whole Enterprise show :thumbdown:...

Edited by Ishimura, 05 August 2011 - 05:28 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Hellfighter

Hellfighter

Theme Galleries Moderator Assimilatin' the Web

• TrekCore Staff
  • 11,655 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:25 PM

I thought the Borg first appeared in the late 23rd century at El Auria. But, I guess this was before the whole Enterprise show :thumbdown:...

You got that right, along with some other races...

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image
Team Interrobang

Wait just a minute... I thought you were Mrs.P with the Picard avatar. I should really look closer at who is posting what.

#7 Autocad

Autocad

Daedalus-Class Starship

• 165 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

[quote name='Hellfighter' date='05 August 2011 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1312575907' post='298681']
[quote name='Ishimura' date='05 August 2011 - 01:28 PM' timestamp='1312565302' post='298671']
[/quote]

ok, you got me, what's "23rd century at El Auria"

thanks.....

John

#8 Dillkid

Dillkid

Dillon

• 1,015 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:09 AM

[quote name='Autocad' date='05 August 2011 - 09:58 PM' timestamp='1312577936' post='298688']
[quote name='Hellfighter' date='05 August 2011 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1312575907' post='298681']
[quote name='Ishimura' date='05 August 2011 - 01:28 PM' timestamp='1312565302' post='298671']
[/quote]

thanks.....

John
[/quote]
The events that were explained mainly in the TNG episode "Q Who" and the film "Generations". The El Aurian's world was assimilated by The Borg in the 23rd Century, and only a few survived (Guinan and Dr. Soran were among them). What I'm puzzled with, is that I didn't think they were mentioned by name or explained until the Enterprise met the first cube though. But some humans seemed to know abit about them (The Hansen's) and even had an idea of what their ships looked like. Would it have been from the NX-01's meeting with them? Because them Drones never mentioned who they were, and they weren't even in a Cube.
Posted Image

#9 Voyager

Voyager

• 15,421 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:07 PM

[quote name='Dillkid' date='05 August 2011 - 06:15 PM' timestamp='1312564543' post='298668']
[quote name='Autocad' date='05 August 2011 - 05:44 PM' timestamp='1312562680' post='298665']
[quote name='Voyager' date='05 August 2011 - 11:40 AM' timestamp='1312558851' post='298659']
[/quote]

John
[/quote]
Voyager has 22 episodes that had some sort of Borg involvement, though some of them were things like holograms. I'm not sure if you count that or not, but take them away and that series is still in the lead for appearances made by the collective.
[/quote]

Even when you don't include episodes that specifically focus on Seven (rather than the Borg themselves) there are far more Borg episodes than in any other series.

[quote name='Dillkid' date='06 August 2011 - 10:09 AM' timestamp='1312621775' post='298700']
[quote name='Autocad' date='05 August 2011 - 09:58 PM' timestamp='1312577936' post='298688']
[/quote]

thanks.....

John
[/quote]
The events that were explained mainly in the TNG episode "Q Who" and the film "Generations". The El Aurian's world was assimilated by The Borg in the 23rd Century, and only a few survived (Guinan and Dr. Soran were among them). What I'm puzzled with, is that I didn't think they were mentioned by name or explained until the Enterprise met the first cube though. But some humans seemed to know abit about them (The Hansen's) and even had an idea of what their ships looked like. Would it have been from the NX-01's meeting with them? Because them Drones never mentioned who they were, and they weren't even in a Cube.
[/quote]

Memory Alpha gives this explanation:

[quote]In 2293 the Federation offered aid to El Aurian refugees fleeing the Borg. (Star Trek Generations) However, each of these incidents contributed almost nothing to the Alpha Quadrant's awareness or understanding of the Borg Collective.
By the 2350s rumors of an alien race called "The Borg" had reached the Alpha Quadrant, inspiring exobiologistsMagnus and Erin Hansen to set out in search of them. Their research took them all the way to the Delta Quadrant before they were assimilated in 2356. (VOY: "The Gift", "The Raven", "Dark Frontier") Borg activity in the Alpha Quadrant went undetected until a series of unexplained attacks along the Romulan Neutral Zone in 2364. (TNG: "The Neutral Zone") The Collective's true nature was finally revealed to the Federation in 2365 when Q took theUSS Enterprise-D to meet a Borg cube near the J-25 system. (TNG: "Q Who")[/quote]

Posted Image

#10 Dillkid

Dillkid

Dillon

• 1,015 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:11 AM

thanks.....

John

In 2293 the Federation offered aid to El Aurian refugees fleeing the Borg. (Star Trek Generations) However, each of these incidents contributed almost nothing to the Alpha Quadrant's awareness or understanding of the Borg Collective.
By the 2350s rumors of an alien race called "The Borg" had reached the Alpha Quadrant, inspiring exobiologistsMagnus and Erin Hansen to set out in search of them. Their research took them all the way to the Delta Quadrant before they were assimilated in 2356. (VOY: "The Gift", "The Raven", "Dark Frontier") Borg activity in the Alpha Quadrant went undetected until a series of unexplained attacks along the Romulan Neutral Zone in 2364. (TNG: "The Neutral Zone") The Collective's true nature was finally revealed to the Federation in 2365 when Q took theUSS Enterprise-D to meet a Borg cube near the J-25 system. (TNG: "Q Who")

If there were rumors, and past experiences (Even 200 years prior ones) with Cybernetic lifeforms that fit the same description as the rumors, I think Starfleet should have prepared the Captains just incase they ever came across them. Sort of like what they tell the Commanding Officers about Q and The Omega Directive.

Edited by Dillkid, 07 August 2011 - 10:12 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Autocad

Autocad

Daedalus-Class Starship

• 165 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:34 AM

Thanks again, for the info. I'm going to watch a few selected episode....

#12 Voyager

Voyager

• 15,421 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:39 PM

thanks.....

John

In 2293 the Federation offered aid to El Aurian refugees fleeing the Borg. (Star Trek Generations) However, each of these incidents contributed almost nothing to the Alpha Quadrant's awareness or understanding of the Borg Collective.
By the 2350s rumors of an alien race called "The Borg" had reached the Alpha Quadrant, inspiring exobiologistsMagnus and Erin Hansen to set out in search of them. Their research took them all the way to the Delta Quadrant before they were assimilated in 2356. (VOY: "The Gift", "The Raven", "Dark Frontier") Borg activity in the Alpha Quadrant went undetected until a series of unexplained attacks along the Romulan Neutral Zone in 2364. (TNG: "The Neutral Zone") The Collective's true nature was finally revealed to the Federation in 2365 when Q took theUSS Enterprise-D to meet a Borg cube near the J-25 system. (TNG: "Q Who")

If there were rumors, and past experiences (Even 200 years prior ones) with Cybernetic lifeforms that fit the same description as the rumors, I think Starfleet should have prepared the Captains just incase they ever came across them. Sort of like what they tell the Commanding Officers about Q and The Omega Directive.

But at the point of 'Q Who', it had not been established that humans helped rescue the El Aurans.

Posted Image

#13 Hellfighter

Hellfighter

Theme Galleries Moderator Assimilatin' the Web

• TrekCore Staff
  • 11,655 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:59 PM

Also, if we were to take the events of "Regeneration" into consideration, I'd think Starfleet would keep these incidents secret, because of the fact they got very little information about the Borg, and the fact that they could be across the galaxy, it's useless to defend against a supposed enemy that may not even show up again for centuries.

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image
Team Interrobang

Wait just a minute... I thought you were Mrs.P with the Picard avatar. I should really look closer at who is posting what.

#14 Dillkid

Dillkid

Dillon

• 1,015 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:12 PM

Also, if we were to take the events of "Regeneration" into consideration, I'd think Starfleet would keep these incidents secret, because of the fact they got very little information about the Borg, and the fact that they could be across the galaxy, it's useless to defend against a supposed enemy that may not even show up again for centuries.

Very true, perhaps they weren't even sure how dangerous they were. They might not have known what Century the "Humans from the future, and the Cybernetic lifeforms that wanted to enslave the human race" that Cochrane mentioned in one of his speeches were from. Due Archer's dealings with Daniels, they could have thought that the humans that stopped The Borg were from or around his century, and would have no problem stopping them when the time came. The evidence was there after all, they stopped them in the past, and the Drone's were frozen on Earth for a Century.
Posted Image

Nebula image in header courtesy Ali Ries.