Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frontier

Rare Photos: June 2011

31 posts in this topic

Hey folks! First of the month, hope those of you with such have paid your rent!

I've actually got two requests of everybody this month.

First up is, if anyone has an IMDBPro account, and wouldn't mind helping me out as a bit of an info gofer, please PM me about such.

Second is, if any of Euro fans have both a flatbed scanner and access to copies of the Star Trek magazine from it's beginning issue in 1995 through until January of 1999, I could use some assistance as well. So PM on that as well. ;)

Otherwise, lets enjoy this month's crop of goodies!

http://www.trekcore.com/specials/thumbnails.php?album=101

My Favorites:

1st Row, Left: Somebody behind the scenes of TSFS mistook Kruge's targ for his dog, me thinks! Hehe.

2nd Row, Right: On-location publicity photo of Nana Visitor as Kira Nerys for the 3rd season episode "Shakaar"

4th Row, Right: In the make-up trailer with Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelley!

5th Row, Left: Jeri Ryan looking pretty damn bored on the Dauntless bridge during filming of the season 4 finale "Hope and Fear"

Which Ones Are Your Favorites & Why?

I love the first photo with the Targ, and of course the 4 different promos of Janeway. I also really like the reject TNG cast promo.

I love the first photo with the Targ, and of course the 4 different promos of Janeway. I also really like the reject TNG cast promo.

That wasn't rejected. :dontgetit:

They used that.

And that, right there, is the best quality copy of it I've ever seen.

:S

Those are cool pics!

You're always so specific in your comments, Jay. :giggle::laugh::P

Always weird/odd to see Nimoy (or any other Vulcan actor for that matter) in 'civillian' gear. One photo that 'leaps' out is the one of Spiner/Frakes in the turbolift.

I like the kirk pics on the 3rd rowthumbup.gif

burton_directs_ds9.jpg

I can already hear Burton telling off Rom inside my head with this shot! :laugh:

That wasn't rejected. :dontgetit:

They used that.

And that, right there, is the best quality copy of it I've ever seen.

Really, I don't remember seeing it before. It's just since it was in the rare photo collection, I assumed that it was a rejected one - if it was used, I wasn't expecting it to be rare.

I think it's more a matter of "wasn't used that often". It's not one of the TNG pics you see all the time. At least from my experience.

Hollywood is a strange place. There are hundreds of publicity images taken for everything, just in case. We the people don't get to see 98% of them. And sometimes when we do, it's used once or twice and never again really. So it becomes "rare" in that sense. The TNG season 6 and 7 cast photos are both junk, to be blunt. Which is why you so rarely see them. So from that, they're rare. If they're a rejected PB, I always put that in the file name. :) Otherwise, it's an approved-of image... it's just... rarely ever seen, lol. Hehe.

I wonder what they think might happen, that makes them think they need so many publicity shots. Not that I'm complaining; I like seeing them all.

Well, they shoot dozens of the same photo with slight variations so they can be sent to the producers, who select the one(s) they like best, and those are then used. The rest are just... extraneous at that point. But it's why you'll see slight variations of the same photo. A hand moved, a slightly different posture, a smile or no smile. Have you ever seen, in a movie perhaps, a photoshoot where the photographer is just snapping away photos as the model/subject poses differently? Same basic idea. They take dozens of photos to find the one they like later.

Because Janeway with her left hand on her hip is so going to increase ratings than if they used the photo with the right hand on her hip :P

Because Janeway with her left hand on her hip is so going to increase ratings than if they used the photo with the right hand on her hip :P

Hey, they're nuts in Hollywood about lil details.

The differences between shots can be subtle or significant. But they take all the photos so they can find the handful they like. It's weird, but, it works. LOL.

Its why though, if you look in the galleries, you'll often see the same photo set-up with a few differences.

I know, I'm only kidding really. Every show does it, and I get why, but it does seem a bit silly when you think about it too long lol.

I know, I'm only kidding really. Every show does it, and I get why, but it does seem a bit silly when you think about it too long lol.

Weeeeeell, I can only speak for myself - although I have a feeling other obsessed fans will agree with me - but I certainly DON'T mind the fact that there are so many promo pics all the time. Imagine my delight whenever I find a Sir Patrick promo pic I hadn't seen before! (I collect ALL pics, even if he just moved his hand slightly between two shots, lol.) ;)

Janeway with hands on her hips .... hasn't she learned her lesson yet? :P:giggle:

Weeeeeell, I can only speak for myself - although I have a feeling other obsessed fans will agree with me - but I certainly DON'T mind the fact that there are so many promo pics all the time. Imagine my delight whenever I find a Sir Patrick promo pic I hadn't seen before! (I collect ALL pics, even if he just moved his hand slightly between two shots, lol.) ;)

Don't get me wrong, I love discovering 'new' pictures, but I also see the ridiculous side to it too.

Janeway with hands on her hips .... hasn't she learned her lesson yet? :P:giggle:

'I may never put my hands on my hips again.'

macrocosm_019.jpg

Some time later...

yearofhellPT2_174.jpg

tumblr_lkschpMBGL1qevo6z.gif

LMFAO!!! That gif is priceless.

Thank the wonders of google.

It's times like this i wish i had not gotten rid of my countless star trek magazines from when i was a child. Took the entire lot with me to castleton on a school trip once just because i knew it was fields and i'd be bored to tears otherwise.

I've bought soooo many magazines from 1979 - present for the purposes of extracting their goody-goody photos. I'm seriously nutters, I've easily spent a couple hundred of even a thousand dollars on pursuit of material for the site and rare photos. LOL.

I wouldn't call this nuts... I'd do the same for rare pictures of a certain person. lol

The middle column for me pretty much... I especially liked the first season pic of Data and a beardless Riker, the b&w shot of Spock and the studio shot of Uhura. Great composition and I love the way the shot is lit.

I've bought soooo many magazines from 1979 - present for the purposes of extracting their goody-goody photos. I'm seriously nutters, I've easily spent a couple hundred of even a thousand dollars on pursuit of material for the site and rare photos. LOL.

Thank you. :clap: Much love.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0