Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frontier

Wanted: European Trek Magazine Readers

9 posts in this topic

So I'm looking for some Euro fans who fit three very key criteria. :)

First up, you need to have a decent quality flat-bed scanner.

Second, you need to have a bunch issues of the official Star Trek Magazine (http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Magazine) that began publishing in 1995.

Last but not least, you've got to have a little bit of time and patience. Not too much, mind you, lol. Just a smidge. :P

Anywhom, why I need such folks is this:

As an American, getting my hands on all those back-issues would be quite time consuming, not to mention expensive. Especially when I may only need 1 or 2 photos from a specific issue scanned. A lot of great material for Rare Photos, Ultimately Human, and by extension, the various photo sections across the site, comes from magazines like these. What I have been able to get my hands on though are the archival CDs for said magazine, which are basically scanned copies of such on CD-Rom sold by the publisher. I expect (and hope!) these continue to be made, as they've only done the first few years thus far.

Only trouble is, sometimes a photo I spot and think "this'll be great" for inclusion is just too small in this CD-Rom archive, or the photo is right on the binding split between two pages. Things like that, that make the photo unusable without getting my hands on the physical original. So it occurred to me... there are plenty of Euro trekkies out there, I'm sure a handful of them have scanners and some old issues...

So, what the "job" entails is actually pretty simple: you tell me what issues you've got (from March 95 through Jan 99) and I'll give you exact page number and what photo I need. You scan it as large as your scanner DPI can go, e-mail, and boom. That's all she wrote. :cool:

So... if anyone can and would be willing to help... lemme know! :thumbup:

I subscribe to Trek magazine, but I'm afraid I don't have any issues as far back as that. I don't think I have anything earlier than 2006 - I'd have to check. If you want any scans from them, I'm happy to accommodate.

I have issues from when it started in '95 to about '02 I think. It's finding them/as for my scanner beats me, it's Kodak, as for time, it's iffy. But there we go.

Bump.

So are you interested in those later magazines?

Oh I'm sure at some point down the line, I will be. :) Problem is, unless you're willing to ship them over to me (and I ship them back) it's a bit of a blind hunt, you know? ;) I can't see the photos in the issues to know which ones to snag, heh.

Although... if you want to go through and scan anything that looks like it could be "behind the scenes" that... couldn't be bad, lol. If you take a look at the various BTS galleries across the site already, you'll spot the tell-tale signs. Actors smiling, costumes amiss, camera equipment, folks in civies.

Oh I'm sure at some point down the line, I will be. :) Problem is, unless you're willing to ship them over to me (and I ship them back) it's a bit of a blind hunt, you know? ;) I can't see the photos in the issues to know which ones to snag, heh.

Although... if you want to go through and scan anything that looks like it could be "behind the scenes" that... couldn't be bad, lol. If you take a look at the various BTS galleries across the site already, you'll spot the tell-tale signs. Actors smiling, costumes amiss, camera equipment, folks in civies.

I'll have a look through my collection and scan some images for you. You can then tell me if they are the kind of thing/quality you're after. :)

I've looked through my collection. I've got one magazine from 2006, one from 2007, and then a steady set from 2008 to the most recent May 2011. There are about 30 or so pictures you might be interested in. I've scanned about half a dozen and will send them to you, then you can tell me whether you want the others or not. :)

I have quite a few from that era, although when I was younger I cut out many of the pictures and put them on my wall :loopy:

Let me know what you need and I'll see if I have it.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0