Sign in to follow this  
Hellfighter

Could TAS be reanimated?

Sounds interesting....

Star Trek writer/producers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman followed up their work writing two Transformers feature films by producing the new animated series Transformers Prime on Hub (see below for a clip from this weekend’s episode). The computer-generated series has been well received and this week it garnered six daytime Emmy awards. And now the success of this series has led to some talk about doing a similar show for Star Trek.

This week’s promo for "Transformers Prime" (produced by Star Trek’s Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman)

Earlier this morning I sent Roberto Orci a tweet (via @trekmovie) congratulating him and Alex on the six nominations for Transformers Prime. I then followed that up with a suggestion about Star Trek, and Orci replied with an interesting little bit of info:

orcianimtweet.jpg

This exchange has been picked up by a few sites today as news that there is (or possibly is) an animated Star Trek series in development. While it would be great if that were true, at this point it is only something that has been talked about by Orci and Kurtzman. As of now, as far as TrekMovie sources can tell, there is no work being done or planning for a new animated Star Trek series.

However, that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good idea. An animated series is much less expensive than a new live-action series, but can still allow for interesting stories to be developed, including stories that bridge films. An animated show is also a great way to maintain interest in a franchise and especially to help attract new younger fans. Many popular franchises have current animated series in addition to Transformers. The superhero franchises (Batman, Superman, Spider-man) have had animated series for decades, but there are also recent entries from Star Wars and even a Tron animated series in development.

And of course as Orci and Kurtzman have successfully done it with Transformers, they are the natural choice to do it again with Star Trek, assuming Paramount and CBS and Hub (or another network) all want to do it. Hopefully it will happen, but for now it is just a notion.

Until then, we still have the 1970s Star Trek: The Animated Series, which is available on DVD and for free streaming on CBS.com.

Off Topic a bit, but the first voice in the promo is Jeffery Combs <3

But yes, back to the topic, it would be very very interesting to see TAS re-animated.

While I would love another animated series, a few things concern me:

1. If this idea came about because of the animated Tranformers, I sincerely hope that they don't animate it like that. The animation in that video looks absolutely crap, and I don't want some 3D cartoon rubbish.

2. I'm very worried that if they did another animated series that it would be in the NuTrek universe, which would make me scream.

If they set it in the Prime universe, don't make it a prequel, and use 2D animation, I'm all for it it.

i am tired of CGI animation. What ever happened to the X-men, Spider-man, Gargoyals, BAtman the Animated series calibur hand animation? Anyone else besides me miss that? Even today the "Cartoons" are digitally animated. IM sick of it. Its like a dying breed of art.

i am tired of CGI animation. What ever happened to the X-men, Spider-man, Gargoyals, BAtman the Animated series calibur hand animation? Anyone else besides me miss that? Even today the "Cartoons" are digitally animated. IM sick of it. Its like a dying breed of art.

I miss it too. I much prefer the great cartoons between the 30s and 60s, than the stuff we get now.

I'm with you, Sherlock. If they re-animate TAS, it will almost certainly be CGI stuff. I am not interested in CGI animation at all, so, no thanks. No TAS for me, then. (I've actually still not seen TAS in its entirety, lol.)

I loved the X Men animated series when I was a kid, btw. Oh, those were the days.

Praise be The Animated Series. If it comes back, fine. For fun do a version of a Shatner book. Just for giggles.

I'm with you, Sherlock. If they re-animate TAS, it will almost certainly be CGI stuff. I am not interested in CGI animation at all, so, no thanks. No TAS for me, then. (I've actually still not seen TAS in its entirety, lol.)

I loved the X Men animated series when I was a kid, btw. Oh, those were the days.

Well, actually there is some guy who has released a few episodes of new animated ST stuff. I'm forgetting his name off the top of my head, but he's stuck with the animation from the original TAS -- love his rendition of an animated Flint from TOS' Requiem for Methuselah quite good and very much in keeping with TAS standards. Wish he had more voice actors to work with (he's the only one voicing all the characters and he can't afford to do otherwise at this point, would love to see some others join with him for even free to help him with the voices of the characters) that could sound as much as possible to the original cast of both TOS and TAS. I'll try to find the link to his website and post it here, soon. Would love to see his new TAS episodes get some respect and inclusion to have more fandom -- AND no, I'm not him.

Okay, that's Curt Danhauser, who is a personal friend of Michael & Denise Okuda, who has on-line, including on youtube 2 new animated ST episodes (TAS style) - - although I wish Curt would finish Ptolemy Wept the episode with the return of Flint from TOS' Requiem for Methuselah (love that Flint was also big band leader Glenn Miller in one of his past lives that was cool out of Curt to do that -:).) Again, I wish others would help Curt with the voices for the characters, although he does really well with the voices, especially with the really humorous, tongue-firmly-in-cheek short The Element of Surprise, I'd love especially for the women characters of M'Ress, Uhura and Chapel if he had some other voice actors (even fans or unprofessionals),, so that's why I'm plugging his effort here, to help with the voices. Anyway here is his website for the series: www.danhausertrek.com/AnimatedSeries/NewEps.html Again, kudos to Curt for doing that!

Edited by Midknight123

As a fan of TAS (hence my avatar... hee hee), I'm all in favor of the series getting a much deserved makeover. The animation was crude, even for early '70s work. And the music was essentially the same stock Filmation music we'd heard in a million other Lou Scheimer productions of that time. It'd be nice to take just the voice audio tracks, render some new CGI imagery (ala The Remastered TOS blu-rays), maybe some new sound FX, and have at it. And maybe add some proper ST TOS music cues as well.

I've always felt that some of the stories of TAS were on a par with TOS (not all of them, of course; but a few). But the limited animation and stock music sort of put them in the back of the ST bus. If it were given just a fraction of the love doled out on TOS or TNG, it could be really special. Not deluxe 'main course' ST, but a nice, tasty little snack.

I'd support an animated Trek (does it have to only be TOS though?). But I think I'd have to go against the grain here and be pro-CGI. Turning it into the simple animation gives it too much of a saturday-morning cartoon feel.

I would love for (when the costs can be more acceptable) to make t.v. shows that look like the quality (if not better) of the much hated Final Fantasy movie. Like the picture below:

wallpaper_final_fantasy_the_spirits_within_11_1280.jpg

Granted - it would probably cost an exorbitant amount of money. But it might be interesting and aliens wouldn't be so limited anymore. Either that or we'd need to resort to what Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome did - CGI sets. The online movies may become a potential avenue for Trek.

I understand the hesitation for CGI animation. Especially after Star Wars: The Clone Wars. But that was far more cartoony to me.

I'm not against CGI for a remastered version of TAS; I think if they took the audio tracks, updated the music (use real ST TOS cues, and not that stupid cartoon stock music) and really gave it some love? It could be awesome.

As for a new CGI ST series? I'm absolutely onboard with that idea, too! No reason why not, really. And yes, I hated Clone Wars; not because it was CGI, but because the plots and characters were largely juvenile bulls#!t. A new ST series could use the same tack as TAS did; hire 'real' ST writers but simply render the stories in a different medium. It doesn't have to be Clone Wars...

I watched a few episodes of TAS on Netflix recently. Even as a kid, I thought they were primitive, animation-wise and they haven't aged well. But some of those stories are so good! They'd get a whole new lease of life if they were stripped down to the vocal tracks and reworked to the standards viewers expect today. Maybe if they were animated in CGI with the same care and sense of aesthetics that went into creating the new CGI effects on the TOS blu-rays, they could be wonderful. I tend to prefer trad animation techniques over CGI, but realistically, it's a cheaper option, which makes it more likely. And, if the right person was in charge, you might end up with 22 "new" episodes featuring the classic TOS Enterprise and crew.

I personally, would love to see this happen.

I'm not against CGI for a remastered version of TAS; I think if they took the audio tracks, updated the music (use real ST TOS cues, and not that stupid cartoon stock music) and really gave it some love? It could be awesome.

As for a new CGI ST series? I'm absolutely onboard with that idea, too! No reason why not, really. And yes, I hated Clone Wars; not because it was CGI, but because the plots and characters were largely juvenile bulls#!t. A new ST series could use the same tack as TAS did; hire 'real' ST writers but simply render the stories in a different medium. It doesn't have to be Clone Wars...

Either or, it seems that TAS gets a lot more love than I thought it would! Maybe I need to check it out while I'm going through TOS. I heard James Doohan does like 99.99999% of the voices. :P

Really? I heard the Clone Wars had gone plot lines and I've seen some fans say it's what the prequel trilogy should have been.

Either or, it seems that TAS gets a lot more love than I thought it would! Maybe I need to check it out while I'm going through TOS. I heard James Doohan does like 99.99999% of the voices. :P

Actually, it's more like 66% are Doohan voiceovers; the remaining third are divided between Majel Barrett and Nichelle Nichols (with a couple of George Takei ones thrown in as well). That is one huge annoyance of TAS; the lack of guest talent. Once in a blue moon for characters such as Harry Mudd, Cyrano Jones, or Sarek they were able to get original guest actors to reprise their roles, but most of the time? It's the TOS regulars pulling double, even triple duty; in some cases, you even hear different characters seemingly talking to themselves. A sad, but true fact. :giggle:

I watched a few episodes of TAS on Netflix recently. Even as a kid, I thought they were primitive, animation-wise and they haven't aged well. But some of those stories are so good! They'd get a whole new lease of life if they were stripped down to the vocal tracks and reworked to the standards viewers expect today. Maybe if they were animated in CGI with the same care and sense of aesthetics that went into creating the new CGI effects on the TOS blu-rays, they could be wonderful. I tend to prefer trad animation techniques over CGI, but realistically, it's a cheaper option, which makes it more likely. And, if the right person was in charge, you might end up with 22 "new" episodes featuring the classic TOS Enterprise and crew.

I personally, would love to see this happen.

Me too! :thumbup:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

It's the TOS regulars pulling double, even triple duty; in some cases, you even hear different characters seemingly talking to themselves. A sad, but true fact. :giggle:

This is a feature of most animation though; you could say the same about The Simpsons for example. I have no problem with it providing the person doing the voices has enough talent to be able to make them sound suitably different. In the case of Janes Doohan (and Dan Castellaneta), I would say he certainly does.

It's the TOS regulars pulling double, even triple duty; in some cases, you even hear different characters seemingly talking to themselves. A sad, but true fact. :giggle:

This is a feature of most animation though; you could say the same about The Simpsons for example. I have no problem with it providing the person doing the voices has enough talent to be able to make them sound suitably different. In the case of Janes Doohan (and Dan Castellaneta), I would say he certainly does.

Not to denigrate the late Jimmy Doohan (whom I love as Scotty) but many of his 'voices' sounded the same. Either a higher pitch or an attempt at an accent, but they always sounded more or less the same. Doohan voiced Lt. Arex (the 3-armed, 3-legged navigator) who often sounded a lot like the generic aliens on the show as well (you really had to watch the screen to tell just who was talking at any given time). Doohan even voiced transporter chief Mr. Kyle, too (who, in TAS, looked like Kirk with a mustache for some reason...). Same problem with occasional comm officer M'Ress (the felinoid) and Nurse Chapel (both voiced by the late Majel Barrett). M'Ress often sounded a bit like Chapel doing a purring horny voice. :giggle::P

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Jimmy had a distinctive voice, even though he was a very talented voice actor. Once you know his inflections, you can pick it out at ninety paces in a downpour, but coming cold to it, it's less noticable. Even so, if they were to reanimate, they could get some new talent in there and redo those lines. Problem solved.

I vote 2D myself. A talented animator could make that so much fun to watch.

Jimmy had a distinctive voice, even though he was a very talented voice actor. Once you know his inflections, you can pick it out at ninety paces in a downpour, but coming cold to it, it's less noticable. Even so, if they were to reanimate, they could get some new talent in there and redo those lines. Problem solved.

I vote 2D myself. A talented animator could make that so much fun to watch.

They could even electronically modulate the voicetracks so that TOS actors doing double duty would be less noticeable, too.

A similar trick was done in TOS' "The Menagerie" when the producers realized (too late) that guest star, the late Malachi Throne (playing Commodore Mendez), had also done the voice tracks of "The Keeper" in "The Cage". They then subtly altered Throne's "Keeper" voice electronically (changing its pitch) so that it was not easily recognized as his own.

They could do the same thing with the TAS Doohan, Barrett and Nichols voice tracks. Just a thought....

Indeed they could!

A slight electronic alteration is cheaper than hiring new voice talent to redub the tracks, and it also honors the TOS cast members who recorded those tracks but who are no longer here (Doohan & Barrett-Roddenberry, namely).

Indeed they could!

A slight electronic alteration is cheaper than hiring new voice talent to redub the tracks, and it also honors the TOS cast members who recorded those tracks but who are no longer here (Doohan & Barrett-Roddenberry, namely).

That is an excellent idea and solves any criticisms along those lines while keeping the voices distinct from one anther. Electronic wizardry can solve a lot of things these days.

Indeed they could!

That is an excellent idea and solves any criticisms along those lines while keeping the voices distinct from one anther. Electronic wizardry can solve a lot of things these days.

Again, it worked wonders for "The Menagerie" (the aforementioned Commodore Mendez/Talosian Keeper voice issue); and that was in 1966. Imagine what they could do today?

Paramount like to make money out of Star Trek - that's a given - the remastered releases of TOS and TNG prove that, if care is put into a release, then that's a whole new lease of life for older iterations of the franchise and hugely attractive to fans old and new. The more I think about it, the more this idea seems like an obvious money and kudos earner for them. It would probably be a huge project, but look at, say, what the Doctor Who restoration team at the BBC have done on a relatively limited budget with animating missing episodes (I'm thinking of the release of the Cybermen story Invasion) for DVD release. Paramount has rather more resources at its disposal.

And hey, they could put in the Alan Dean Foster Star Trek Log books on as PDF extras!

Paramount like to make money out of Star Trek - that's a given - the remastered releases of TOS and TNG prove that, if care is put into a release, then that's a whole new lease of life for older iterations of the franchise and hugely attractive to fans old and new. The more I think about it, the more this idea seems like an obvious money and kudos earner for them. It would probably be a huge project, but look at, say, what the Doctor Who restoration team at the BBC have done on a relatively limited budget with animating missing episodes (I'm thinking of the release of the Cybermen story Invasion) for DVD release. Paramount has rather more resources at its disposal.

And hey, they could put in the Alan Dean Foster Star Trek Log books on as PDF extras!

I have the Dr Who Cybermen "Invasion" dvd and the animation (while a bit limited) did exactly what it had to do; while perfectly preserving the overall integrity of the episode. If they could give TAS even that level of attention? I'd be over the moon. It doesn't have to be "Final Fantasy of the Final Frontier"; even Dr Who missing episode level 2D animation would be a vast improvement.

01%2BTardis%2BCrew.pngcyberman2.jpg

Examples of DW 'missing episode' animation....

Edited by Sehlat Vie

^ Damn I've got to get off my backside and get that on DVD .... and the BBC need to do likewise and use this animation style to get Tenth Planet and other lost classics back :)

Sign in to follow this