Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frontier

Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome

75 posts in this topic

So far, so good is my humble opinion. The episode are way too short, though. Even for youtube. So that aspect is a bit frustrating.

I think the new Adama isn't too bad, minus his voice. He doesn't sound anything at all like Olmos. Granted, Olmos has that older, more mature voice due to his age. But still....

I did like all the references to Caprica, though. I had wondered if they were going to pretend that it never happened.

I enjoyed the Caprica references (even the stock footage; hee hee).

And yes, I thought Caprica had incredible potential, but sadly (for me) that potential really didn't kick in until the last five or so episodes (which were so good they almost felt like another series). If only they hadn't wasted the first half of season one diddling with the one U-87 (the Zoe-bot); those things should've been rolling off the assembly line by the end of the 2nd or 3rd episode....

But back to B&C; yes, I will continue to watch, although I wish I could watch the whole thing at once. These 11-12 min. webisodes are a pain in the butt. I suppose all the more reason to buy the dvd/bluray in February. Being a total BSG completist I probably will too, even if the rest of it utterly sucks (I even own Galactica: 1980, for chrissakes.... at least it was a Christmas present though; so I didn't actually buy it myself).

:P

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I suppose I can see how someone might be underwhelmed, I feel it's worth noting this seems to be a bit... chopped up. At least, I think it was, but I could be wrong here. I do agree it seemed a bit... "mushy" and lens flared, but then I thought that was me. I have a sensitivity to bright light and lens flare, so I was thinking maybe it was exaggerated for me. I can also understand what you mean about not making heads or tales in CIC or the Hangar Deck, I kinda thought that was me too. Then again, maybe it's a lot to try and process at once, as there are new details to take in.

I can tell you, that the Hangar Deck is somewhat different from the series "proper" (that is, BSG itself), but remember this: This is during a ten year war, that the Colonials are loosing. The miniseries and some episodes early in season one made it clear that of the original twelve battlestars, three survived the war. Also, on a detailic look, the hangar deck was very large, even for a ship being retired. So the "added" bulk for this presentation actually makes soem sense. I consider it to be like, some sort of "war configuration" for Galactica, similar to how the USN has had "war configurations" for some of their warships in WWII.

I have the same reaction ("war configuration") toward the external look of the ship, and the look of CIC. If that don't work to well, then maybe the current (In B&C that is) look of Galactica is the "original" and was striped over the war, due to losses throughout the fleet, damage and desperation. Like, another ship needs to be repaired or have some weapons, and there's no time to build new ones, so some of Galacticas guns were taken.

As for the ribs, the ribs job were supposed to deflect the damage potential, at least the Battlestar Wiki says so. I think this was the case to, as the ribs is where you saw missiles and shells and stuff (the ones fired by the Cylons that is) explode. Radiation and heat, I think were supposed to be kept out from the hull plating/armor (Tigh makes a comment in the miniseires about the "hull plating [keeping] out the hard stuff"). The lack of total coverage by Razor Flashbacks/Miniseries/Series, could be explained by damage and other ships needing quick repair or something. Because to me, it looked like those panels were built over the ribbing.

It's the same thing with the guns, I think, needing to shuffle those around for some reason, and maybe some were destroyed. The fact they weren't replaced after the war, suggest to me that these extra weapons might be "war configuration". Again, similar things I've read on how the USN does things, and not to mention, the series explicitly said Adama was discharged (or mustered, actually) from the Colonial Fleet because of downsizing.

That said, it sounds like you have a pretty sweet set up!

As for the "new" guy playing Adama, eh, I'm giving him a chance, his voice might not be "right" but meh. Maybe it should have been done so by an actor who speaks like that, or fixed post production, but I'll still see what happens. And I can see how he doesn't remind us of Edward James Olmos' version of Adama, but this is also something like forty two years before the miniseries. Razor Flashbacks had him pretty well naive as well (at least judging from Joyce's comments).

On a final note, the actress portraying Beka Kelly (or Becca, there's conflicting in the spelling) is Lili Bordán. Personally, I thought the "playing it cool" came across well. Makes me think she has a severe case of depression or some sort of guilt.

Lili Bordan, that was her name! She was a real sweetheart. I have her pic here:

5977856043_fb0c482684.jpg

Lili Bordan and B&C director Michael Nankin; I took this @ Comic Con 2011.

And you bring up good points about Galactica's 'war configuration' (I withdraw my earlier armor remark; even though BSG Wiki supported it... oh well). I'd honestly never thought about a war configuration option, but it makes sense.

Sadly, the FX and CGI wide shots (the hangar bay and CIC specifically) still look very mushy to me; I've watched the webisodes twice each now and I can still barely tell what's going on in the frames. The lens flare is not 'organic'-looking (like the JJ Abrams' variety), it just looks photoshop-phony to me somehow. Lens flare is not something that occurs in nature (the human iris can't see it; it's a uniquely mechanical phenomenon). Seeing it even in the shower room of the Galactica was a bit much. And in some of the earlier scenes aboard the G, there was a very distracting 'haloing' effect around some of the characters (I'm assuming it was to blur the green screen lines perhaps?). And I still like the real, tactile sets of the series much better. They felt more substantial; they had a physicality to them.

Since I watched this on a 1080p HD monitor, I'm quite sure it wasn't a flaw in my system.... :dontgetit:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I hadn't realized you commented on information from the Battlestar Wiki, I guess either I had read different information... or made it up in my mind. Either way, I suppose, that was my interpretation, not necessarily the right one though. You could be the right one about the armor, although I feel its worth noting the same people were involved in the effects (Doug Drexler over saw it all, I think... or was heavily involved, at least). But once I saw some of this "new" look, and started reading edits on the wiki, that's what sprang to mind, a "war configuration".

I will admit though, that it does seem to alter the sense of scale in terms of Galactica. Maybe that's the poor angles. Or, maybe it's the added armor plating/gun battery's. Then again, it could be the lack of the ribbing that you mentioned. On the other hand, it could just be poorer craftsmanship. Although, I wonder... was the presentation you watched in 1080p? I grant I don't know much about resolutions, but if it was at an inferior resolutions, would it possibly look messier to you?

Before there's any kind of argument here, I will come right out and agree with you on the lens flare. Again, I thought it was just me and my light sensitivity, but you've commented on this and I've seen people on IMDb comment on it, as well. So I know I am not alone, and I too, found it distracting. It was definitely used way too much, you couldn't see it all, but maybe it was trying to hide some green screen lines or something. It's likely the team going overboard and trying to return to that "this is a documentary and you are there" feel that BSG hard (with the lack of the flares perhaps due to dimmer lighting on the ship, and less fixtures in use to to age and the strip down of equipment).

I have to agree that you almost cant get a sense of whats going on, but maybe that's the point. Maybe things are supposed to appear chaotic and crowded and all sorts of things going on.

That said, I also found it somewhat interesting they were trying to show "other" areas of the G. On the other hand, I also wonder if the horizontal elevator was necessary. A nice touch to the TOS, I admit, but I digress... of course, It was also mentioned in the "parent" series, that without power, it took several minutes to get from CIC to the hangar deck. So maybe it was always there, just off screen (they made an effort in BSG to not show those type of scenes, thereby wasting screen time).

To answer your question on which resolution I watched it on?

I watched it on my bluray player's Youtube channel, which I have on an HDMI interface to my 1080p monitor (42"; not huge, but comfortable). The source video I watched on Youtube was about 720p as the true HD version (the 1080p option) is a bitch to upload; it keeps buffering. But 720p through an upscaling HDMI connection onto a 42" HD monitor is almost the same as 1080p to the naked eye, really....

And you raise another point about the early scenes and their 'chaotic' look; it is very possible that was intentional (we'll see as we watch more of the show), but there were times where it felt like it was giving me adult ADHD. The frames were so full of CG junk, that I could barely keep my eyes focused on any one thing. And yes, I do think the lens flare was exaggerated to hide flaws in the images and the FX. It was beyond gratuitous. In some of the early scenes in CIC and the hangar deck, I think I involuntarily rubbed my eyes, thinking they were somehow failing me (after all, I do wear glasses...), but no. It was just crappy cinematography ( :huh2: ).... I was a bit relieved, actually; the alternative would've been another trip to the optometrist.

:laugh:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Lili Bordan, that was her name! She was a real sweetheart. I have her pic here:

5977856043_fb0c482684.jpg

Lili Bordan and B&C director Michael Nankin; I took this @ Comic Con 2011.

And you bring up good points about Galactica's 'war configuration' (I withdraw my earlier armor remark; even though BSG Wiki supported it... oh well). I'd honestly never thought about a war configuration option, but it makes sense.

Sadly, the FX and CGI wide shots (the hangar bay and CIC specifically) still look very mushy to me; I've watched the webisodes twice each now and I can still barely tell what's going on in the frames. The lens flare is not 'organic'-looking (like the JJ Abrams' variety), it just looks photoshop-phony to me somehow. Lens flare is not something that occurs in nature (the human iris can't see it; it's a uniquely mechanical phenomenon). Seeing it even in the shower room of the Galactica was a bit much. And in some of the earlier scenes aboard the G, there was a very distracting 'haloing' effect around some of the characters (I'm assuming it was to blur the green screen lines perhaps?). And I still like the real, tactile sets of the series much better. They felt more substantial; they had a physicality to them.

Since I watched this on a 1080p HD monitor, I'm quite sure it wasn't a flaw in my system.... :dontgetit:

Really great picture! Always cool to see the actors/actresses in person.

I pretty much love everything so far... I think this new Adama has what it takes to pull of a convincing younger version of the Admiral. His attitude and mannerisms are all there, and even the inflections in his speech are right... it's just that he doesn't have any gravel in his voice yet. I'm sold on him, and IMO, he does look a lot more like a young Adama than Nico Cortez did.

I don't like the lens flares, but I can deal with it.

I love what they've done with the CIC and the hangar bays, and my issue with the enlarged hangar bays was this... I can buy that Galactica would lose all that when she's refitted to become a museum ship in peacetime... same with the added stuff in CIC. What I couldn't buy, is why pure military ships still on active duty, like the Battlestar Pegasus would not retain those features. I posted my concerns on the "Blood and Chrome" FB page, and they were addressed in a way that both follows canon and makes sense, so I'm happy with things as they've been shown so far. I also really love the sort of 'mineshaft monorail' system that is used to traverse Galactica's interior... I thought that was both a nice militaristic/industrial touch, and a nice nod to TOS BSG.

I have no problems with the CGI VFX so far. No matter what, CGI effects will always be distinguishable from practical elements, so I always knew that going in. But what I've seen so far has actually surpassed my expectations quality-wise, so I'm not complaining. I love the look of the fully-armored Galactica-Class ships, and love the extra guns and cannons they gave them. It'll be cool to learn the names of the various new Galactica-Classes we see. We know of BS Columbia, but other than that, they'll all be fresh.

I'm actually kind of shocked at how much canon has been respected... so far the ONLY gripe I have, is that the officers are wearing the nuBSG-era duty-blues, instead of the "TOS/RAZOR"-era duty-blues we saw in the "RAZOR" flashbacks. But they've been pretty damn good about retaining the canon elements so far. Yes, the "RAZOR" flashbacks showed a Galactica that wasn't fully armored, but that's because they were using the TV show's model in those shots, so I can let it pass. I'm eagerly looking forward to the rest, and plan to buy the DVD.

I'd be curious to see what the response was on that, do you have it at all, or maybe could post what the gist of it was? I've looked around a little bit on the facebook page you mentioned, and couldn't find it. The other stuff i found there though, is pretty fascinating. I especially liked the comment on the Colony tattoos people are seeing wearing (I actually didn't notice this, by I can't see that fine of a detail, unfortunately) or the Colony patches on the BDU's (again, I can't notice these things).

As for the uniforms, I haven't seen Razor in a while, so I hadn't noticed about the blues. There has been a mention, though, that this era is a "transitioning" period for the Colonies and the military to be united. So maybe there's conflictions in the uniforms because a single set/look hasn't been fully decided/implemented.

They seem to be playing close attention (or had, anyway) to what they are doing for uniforms and so forth. So I'd think this kind of thing was thought out, or maybe they simply forgot what they used in "Razor" (or for whatever reason, were not able to reuse them).

As for the look of Galactica between this and "Razor" I figured it was some type of "war configuration". Then look in "Razor" and beyond is a combination of "post war/peace time configuration" (remember, in the series, it was mentioned Adama and many others were mustered out in downsizing) and desperation toward the end of the war. The change of Cylon tactics meaning they had to de-network everything (Adama's line in the Miniseries suggests at one point, Big G did have a network), and losses meaning they had to spread things around (one Battlestar sporting a full Viper squadron, or several Battlestars with partial squadrons?) could explain some of the "stripping down" during the war. The lack of some of the armor and gun turrets can go to the same explanation, with the addition of perhaps battle damage that simply couldn't be properly be repaired due to time and costs, and therefore was kinda just... jury rigged.

^

Sure... here you go... I took a screencap of my comment and their reply. I'm Bruce Adama, obviously.

image.png

I found it nice that their reply finally offers some concrete and canon evidence of just exactly WHEN Battlestar Pegasus was built.

Edited by VolcanoLogic

I'm not sure why, but I can't seem to see the image, what does it say?

I agree with Volcano (nice to see you again Bruce; I'm OT from GBBS! Small cyber world... hee hee). :laugh:

I think the armored Galactica looks like a classic case of retconning to me. For one thing, her 'smoother' hull somewhat diminishes her impressive scale. And I was at a panel once at Comic Con, with Kevin Grazer (science adviser to BSG/Caprica) and he said that the ribbing on the G's hull was for more rapid heat dissipation in the event of an attack (like the grooves on a motorcycle cylinder; to more rapidly dissipate heat in an air cooled engine, etc).

My biggest issue with B&C, aside from the "glaucoma-vision" virtual cinematography (so help me, they look like they're caught in ST-TMP's wormhole, for chrissakes), is the new Adama (Luke Pasqualino). I'm sorry, but that kid IN NO WAY looks like he could grow up to look or sound anything like the Admiral Adama we saw on four seasons of BSG. The voice, accent and face are as wrong as they could be. Hell, I think I look more like EJO than that kid....

:laugh:

battlestar-galactica-blood-chrome-image.jpg << NO FRAKKING WAY! :cylonweapons:

RAZOR_Cortez_CU.jpgedward_james_olmos.jpg << Now THAT's more like it....

And I still think they should've gotten a hold of Nico Cortez from BSG "Razor"; that guy looked, sounded and acted exactly like a young Husker Adama (my wife and I even have his action figure! Hee hee). You can't fake that attitude. Olmos and Cortez had it; this British pretty boy doesn't. Simple as that. And for those who say that Cortez might've been too old to play Husker 5 years after Razor? Nonsense. With that streaky, blurry, cluttered, messy CGI cinematography, who would even notice a few more crow's feet on his face?

XkZXl.jpgroflbot-vi.jpg << My reaction to B&C's overly lens-flared GCI look... :P

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Hey, there, OT! Aye, small cyber-world, indeed!

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on the casting choice for young Adama... hell, even I could pull off a convincing younger Adama... I have the facial structure, the skin tone... I can even do the Adama glare. But the voice... the voice is the hardest part. A graveled voice is something that comes from a lifetime of smoking, drinking, or yelling, lol. I wish I could learn how to nail down his voice, but voices are hard as all frak to get right.

I also agree with the lens flare... I don't like it, but it is what it is... I don't let it impede my enjoyment of the rest of it.

Edited by VolcanoLogic

Hey, there, OT! Aye, small cyber-world, indeed!

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on the casting choice for young Adama... hell, even I could pull off a convincing younger Adama... I have the facial structure, the skin tone... I can even do the Adama glare. But the voice... the voice is the hardest part. A graveled voice is something that comes from a lifetime of smoking, drinking, or yelling, lol. I wish I could learn how to nail down his voice, but voices are hard as all frak to get right.

I also agree with the lens flare... I don't like it, but it is what it is... I don't let it impede my enjoyment of the rest of it.

Just watch Nico Cortez again in Razor; that kid really nailed it (the voice, too!).

And it's good to see you again, B.A! :thumbup:

So far I'm surprised by the quality as well. It's floating somewhere between the quality of most web series and BSG. It's not quite TV quality - some of the scripting and acting seems amateur in some scenes, but other scenes are really excellent. The lens flares actually bother me here. Clearly they don't know how to use them effectively, but mostly I think they are trying to overcompensate for their lack of budget and reliance on CGI by trying to make it look more artistic, but failing miserably...

So far I'm surprised by the quality as well. It's floating somewhere between the quality of most web series and BSG. It's not quite TV quality - some of the scripting and acting seems amateur in some scenes, but other scenes are really excellent. The lens flares actually bother me here. Clearly they don't know how to use them effectively, but mostly I think they are trying to overcompensate for their lack of budget and reliance on CGI by trying to make it look more artistic, but failing miserably...

I think the flaring, haloing, streaking FX, etc are all being used to sort of 'smear' the image to hide the bad CGI virtual sets. It feels kind of like a bad dream sequence at this point. I agree exactly with your assessment that it doesn't look 'ready for TV' really. I watched it (and episodes 3/4 tonight) via my bluray player's Youtube channel (720p video setting) and it still looked crappy.

And four webisodes in and I'm still hating the new Adama. Just slapping the name William Adama on a character doesn't make him Adama. I can IN NO WAY imagine that pretty boy kid growing up to look or sound like Edward James Olmos in ANY way whatsoever.

And the over-reliance on former BSG actors is getting downright distracting; tonight we saw Sgt. Hadrian from BSG (Jill Teed) as a commander of a heavy cruiser, as well as Pegasus hot-pilot "Narcho" (Sebastian Spence) as Coker's old friend aboard the heavy cruiser. Also saw Capt. Kelly, BSG's LSO (Ty Olssen) as a CIC officer. This is becoming ridiculous; almost incestuous. It's like the franchise is feeding on itself. And you mean to tell me they COULDN'T bring back Nico Cortez from "Razor" to play young Husker Adama again?

I cry bulls**t.... :glare:

I've not seen this yet (it's on my Amazon wishlist lol) so I've nothing to say regarding the film itself, but I had to throw this out there...

Everyone whining about "Why didn't they get Nico Cortez from Razor to play Adama, how dare they" - did it ever occur to you that he might not have wanted to do this, that playing the character once was enough for him? Sometimes it's just so painfully obvious why the rest of the world looks down on science fiction fans.

I've not seen this yet (it's on my Amazon wishlist lol) so I've nothing to say regarding the film itself, but I had to throw this out there...

Everyone whining about "Why didn't they get Nico Cortez from Razor to play Adama, how dare they" - did it ever occur to you that he might not have wanted to do this, that playing the character once was enough for him? Sometimes it's just so painfully obvious why the rest of the world looks down on science fiction fans.

Well, I was one of the pro-Cortez whiners, but you do bring up a good point; suppose he didn't want to do it (though I doubt it; his career hasn't exactly caught fire, has it?). At any rate, could they have at least cast an actual latino to play a young Edward James Olmos? And maybe a kid who looks just a TINY bit less like a Calvin Klein model? Even when he was young, EJO was never that baby-faced (I even remember him in 1978's "Zoot Suit" and 1982's "Blade Runner"; he was never that pretty). Even Pasqualino's voice was totally wrong for the part. NOTHING about him read "young William Adama."

Nico Cortez was practically a double for a young EJO. He nailed EJO in mannerisms, voice, accent, everything. He was perfect.

You make a fair point that Cortez might now have wanted to come back or couldn't for whatever reason.

I don't really mind that they had to get someone else. But I think people's grievance was that it was severe loss. As Sehlat Vie pointed out, this guy was a perfect young Adama. His replacement? Not so much. It's hard to stomach the idea that Pasqualino would grow up to be Olmos' battled hardened, rough speaking, no nonsense Admiral. Cortez? I could believe he would. It's just pretty glaring.

Trust me, that is the least of B&C's problems. :P

Oh, I agree Cortez was the perfect choice - my complaint was that everyone seemed to be levelling their anger at the producets/casters in a very "I'm a fan, I know better"* kind of way, as though they intentionally dismissed him in favour of someone else. Cortez was probably the first person they called.

*I fully admit that I do that myself a lot of the time too! Hell, I'm rebooting Voyager for frak's sake. :P

I would've had less of a problem with the uninspired casting of B&C if the movie had been any good. Sadly, it wasn't. It had no story; no focal point. It's a fractured series of events, nothing more. None of the characters particularly shine either (Coker's just a whiny ALIENS-Hudson wannabe). There's no Katee Sackhoff or Mary McDonnells in this boring bunch of BSG recycled actors (you'll recognize most of the faces if you're a BSG/Caprica fan). It's like it was made with the 'C' team, because the A & B teams were busy that week.

The movie is a dramatic flop. It's like one of those video games where you reach a point and have to make a decision, and you're just watching all the bad choices being made. That's what B&C reminds me of; a video game that is being played remotely somewhere and I just happened to be watching (but not allowed to play along with myself). It's a fail; continuity and casting issues aside. It's not worthy of the BSG label, IMO.

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I would've had less of a problem with the uninspired casting of B&C if the movie had been any good. Sadly, it wasn't. It had no story; no focal point. It's a fractured series of events, nothing more. None of the characters particularly shine either (Coker's just a whiny ALIENS-Hudson wannabe). There's no Katee Sackhoff or Mary McDonnells in this boring bunch of BSG recycled actors (you'll recognize most of the faces if you're a BSG/Caprica fan). It's like it was made with the 'C' team, because the A & B teams were busy that week.

The movie is a dramatic flop. It's like one of those video games where you reach a point and have to make a decision, and you're just watching all the bad choices being made. That's what B&C reminds me of; a video game that is being played remotely somewhere and I just happened to be watching (but not allowed to play along with myself). It's a fail; continuity and casting issues aside. It's not worthy of the BSG label, IMO.

That's a shame :( I know you're a big BSG man so it says a bit if you don't like it. I was looking forward to getting my hands on the blu-ray when I had a bit of spare money. Starting to wonder if I might be better off spending it on something else.

Edited by GenesisDevice

That's a shame :( I know you're a big BSG man so it says a bit if you don't like it. I was looking forward to getting my hands on the blu-ray when I had a bit of spare money. Starting to wonder if I might be better off spending it on something else.

I bought the DVD only because it had the BSG label on it (same reason I own INS and STID), but it's really not in the same league as the show. For me? Much of the blame lies with the lackluster casting. Not just Luke Pasqualino as a ridiculously pretty young William Adama, but also an overall lack of likable/relatable characters and also a lack of actors with charm & charisma. The dismal story is also very weak. It's a series of minor action set pieces linked together as a movie (I can see why it was first released as Youtube vignettes; structurally, this is EXACTLY what it is).

Edited by Sehlat Vie

And Sehlat Vie is NOT kidding when he said they recycled too many of the minor characters of the show. It was pretty distracting. Especially because the timing is so close. So you're wondering "what is so and so doing there so early?" haha.

You should give it a whirl on Netflix (I think it's there no?) and then decide if you want to buy it. Who knows? You may like it.

And Sehlat Vie is NOT kidding when he said they recycled too many of the minor characters of the show. It was pretty distracting. Especially because the timing is so close. So you're wondering "what is so and so doing there so early?" haha.

Oh, ain't it the truth??

I think just about EVERY face except for young Adama (the one role that SHOULD'VE recycled a performer from BSG... a certain Nico Cortez) was a familiar one. It felt like damn near everyone who had either a major or minor role in BSG or Caprica is in this movie. It's like a BSG version of Silver Screen Trivial Pursuit.

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0