Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frontier

Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome

75 posts in this topic

Anything new on this? T.V. is severely lacking in good sci-fi.

Unfortunately not, SyFy hasn't been saying very much, all that is known for right now, is that it will air... eventually. The project is being considered once again for a webseries, but again, no word given. All that is really known, is that what they have completed now, the "pilot" will air as a 90 minute telemovie, and that's it. The rumor mill (a very minor one at that) has been suggesting May 2013 for some reason, but this hasn't been officially confirmed.

Thanks, buddy. I appreciate the update. It's a shame not much is coming out of this idea.

TOS Star Trek, Twilight Zone, The Prisoner and new BSG are my favorite shows of ALL TIME.

* Note that new BSG is the only series of that bunch made in the modern era.

However, my feelings for "Blood & Chrome" are decidedly less than enthusiastic. Not crazy about the use of all-digital sets (it didn't look so great for the spaceship interiors of new "V" or the Star Wars prequels); I think it'll take away from the gritty, handheld, cinema-verite look of BSG. Nor am I too thrilled about a series based on Cylon War 1. I think a one-off TV movie (ala "Razor" or "The Plan") would be far more succinct and exciting. That was one of the (many) problems of the almost-brilliant "Caprica"; they spent half a season diddling with one U-87 robot, when they should've had U-87s rolling off the assembly line en masse by then. "Blood & Chrome" promises more action, true, but we already KNOW how CW1 ends... with an armistice, and then a devastating counterattack 40 years later, and the exodus to Earth, yada, yada, yada....

There's nowhere to go but down.

I guess Star Wars (the lousy episodes I-III and the soulless, dull Clone Wars cartoons) have left me kind of sick of prequels for awhile.... :dry:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

TOS Star Trek, Twilight Zone, The Prisoner and new BSG are my favorite shows of ALL TIME.

However, my feelings for "Blood & Chrome" are decidedly less than enthusiastic. Not crazy about the use of all-digital sets (it didn't look so great for the spaceship interiors of new "V" or the Star Wars prequels); I think it'll take away from the gritty, handheld, cinema-verite look of BSG. Nor am I too thrilled about a series based on Cylon War 1. I think a one-off TV movie (ala "Razor" or "The Plan") would be far more succinct and exciting. That was one of the (many) problems of the almost-brilliant "Caprica"; they spent half a season diddling with one U-87 robot, when they should've had U-87s rolling off the assembly line en masse by then. "Blood & Chrome" promises more action, true, but we already KNOW how CW1 ends... with an armistice, and then a devastating counterattack 40 years later, and the exodus to Earth, yada, yada, yada....

I guess Star Wars (the lousy episodes I-III and the soulless, dull Clone Wars cartoons) have left me kind of sick of prequels for awhile.... :dry:

I agree 100%. The prequels proved that an all CGI set is just a soulless cartoon with real people standing in the middle of it. I don't like that they were going to do that either.

As for the story....yeah, you have a fair point (especially about Caprica) but the thing about BSG is prequels are the only way to go really. Where else is left to go with the story? They ended it with them finding Earth. I mean, I guess you could do a story about exploring the "angels" or the Cylons or possibly other surviving ships? IDK. It just seemed like going backwards is the only option they really have.

I agree 100%. The prequels proved that an all CGI set is just a soulless cartoon with real people standing in the middle of it. I don't like that they were going to do that either.

As for the story....yeah, you have a fair point (especially about Caprica) but the thing about BSG is prequels are the only way to go really. Where else is left to go with the story? They ended it with them finding Earth. I mean, I guess you could do a story about exploring the "angels" or the Cylons or possibly other surviving ships? IDK. It just seemed like going backwards is the only option they really have.

That's why (as much as it pains me to say this) I think BSG, as a source of new TV series, is done.

But I'm actually OK with that; I have the whole series on DVD (yes, even Caprica) and I can lose myself in that world any time I wish to.

There really isn't anywhere else to go. A Cylon War 1 story is fine as a one-off movie for TV, but a new series? Really? I mean, it's not as if we don't know the outcome. The arc was resolved; the show even tied into our present day beautifully. In fact, shortly after BSG concluded (in 2009) my wife and I went to New York City. As we flew over Central Park and into Laguardia, I half expected to see a title card saying "150,000 Years Later..." Even our hotel was right off Times Square, too. I half expected to see Six and Baltar 'angels' at a nearby newsstand (in fact, there was a newsstand in almost that exact spot at Times Square, but no trees, sadly; the trees betrayed that scene as a 'Vancouver-for-NY' shot...). The Times Square background was real, though...

:laugh::P

That's awesome you two were at that spot!

Haha wellll you may get your wish, because I think this may just turn into like a one Syfy movie kind of deal rather than a series. ;)

I nerded out just a little bit...I'm not gonna lie. Thanks for the link!

Sehlat Vie, yes. It'll be episodic on youtube. Kind of like watching things on Netflix. The Halo series, Mortal Kombat series, etc. are the same way.

Now that was a pretty cool trailer! Thanks for sharing! As for the premier online, it's doing as originally intended: 'broadcasting' as a webseries. By the looks of things though, it will 'broadcast' online over the next month or so, and culimate in the broadcast of the two hour version on SyFy. Then there will be an 'unrated' release on DVD (and perhaps Blu-ray), Something similar was done with Battlestar Galactica: Razor,

Now that was a pretty cool trailer! Thanks for sharing! As for the premier online, it's doing as originally intended: 'broadcasting' as a webseries. By the looks of things though, it will 'broadcast' online over the next month or so, and culimate in the broadcast of the two hour version on SyFy. Then there will be an 'unrated' release on DVD (and perhaps Blu-ray), Something similar was done with Battlestar Galactica: Razor,

Thanks.

I'm not sure I like the watching it in segments on Youtube idea, but oh well... at least it'll be out there. It's been in limbo far too long. I went to a panel at comic con for it almost 2 years ago...

It has been in limbo for far too long, this I agree on. Unfortunitly, it's the nature of things, and I think with the end of Stargate Universe, Sanctuary and Eureka, SyFy is taking a good hard look at starting anything. Of course, this really could be that they're just to cheap... But anyhoo, I agree somewhat about the watching it in segments things, but at least it's something, and this was originally the plan anyway. Hopefully it does well, both on youtube (the viewings/comments should be telling), and on its broadcast and the DVD sales. If it does? Then there may be more,

It has been in limbo for far too long, this I agree on. Unfortunitly, it's the nature of things, and I think with the end of Stargate Universe, Sanctuary and Eureka, SyFy is taking a good hard look at starting anything. Of course, this really could be that they're just to cheap... But anyhoo, I agree somewhat about the watching it in segments things, but at least it's something, and this was originally the plan anyway. Hopefully it does well, both on youtube (the viewings/comments should be telling), and on its broadcast and the DVD sales. If it does? Then there may be more,

Sadly, that was the same marketing they used for Caprica (dvd/online release, then let's see if we get a series). Didn't work so well (of course, Caprica's bipolar quality may have had something to do with that as well).

My concerns for B&C are many:

* The new Husker Adama looks and sounds nothing at all like EJO; the voice/accent are totally wrong.

The kid who played young Adama (Nico Cortez) in "Razor" would've been a far better choice, IMO....

* The CGI sets, vipers, CIC all look terribly cheap. Like a 1990s videogame.

* The Cylon 'snow snakes' look more like merchandising opportunities than anything else...

* The new Cylon centurions (?) glimpsed in the trailer look kind of "Terminator Salvation" to me (and I hated TS).

Hope I'm wrong; guess we'll see in the coming weeks.

Thanks again for posting this info. I'm a regular on a Galactica site, and I think we got it after OS. :S

I personally don't even acknowledge the existence of SyFy anymore. They make nothing but crap schlock and show WWE wrestling. They are incapable of even beginning to realize how hugely they were blessed to have been graced by the likes of nuBSG, and how miraculously lucky WE are that SyFy never managed to frak nuBSG up. As far as I am concerned, I'm just going to save all the HD webisodes for B&C, and as long as I have them, I am happy... I don't need SyFy for anything anymore.

I personally don't even acknowledge the existence of SyFy anymore. They make nothing but crap schlock and show WWE wrestling. They are incapable of even beginning to realize how hugely they were blessed to have been graced by the likes of nuBSG, and how miraculously lucky WE are that SyFy never managed to frak nuBSG up. As far as I am concerned, I'm just going to save all the HD webisodes for B&C, and as long as I have them, I am happy... I don't need SyFy for anything anymore.

My sentiments exactly...

Science-fiction is to SyFy as music is to MTV. AKA non-existant.

I don't expect it to be worthwhile watching... If it were of any quality, they would release it on TV first.

I don't expect it to be worthwhile watching... If it were of any quality, they would release it on TV first.

The CGI FX that I've seen so far have all the realism of a '90s Tomb Raider game. I'm not terribly excited on this one, but I'll definitely watch it (or download it).

But yeah, my gut feeling is that if they have confidence in this product, we'd have seen a big TV premiere first (goodness knows SyFy could use something legitimately science fiction to add to their programming roster...).

I don't think being on youtube reflects diminished quality. Shows going online like this are showing a change in medium. It's always a matter of convenience and for some, it may be more convenient to sit and watch it online.

The Halo: Forward Unto Dawn "show" was done on youtube and with resounding success. A lot of people watched it.

I don't think being on youtube reflects diminished quality. Shows going online like this are showing a change in medium. It's always a matter of convenience and for some, it may be more convenient to sit and watch it online.

The Halo: Forward Unto Dawn "show" was done on youtube and with resounding success. A lot of people watched it.

It's just that if B&C had a network debut, it would seem they were a bit more confident in their product. Then perhaps they could go by the show's overnight ratings and pick it up for a full series. Ratings, not hits; as ratings guarantee revenue, hits online don't. And the fact that they're breaking it down into bite-sized webisodes instead of a full pilot show sounds a bit like they're trying to extend the life of whatever they've got because they're not going to create any more.

That's just how it sounds to me, of course. The proof will be in the pudding tomorrow. Glad that my blu ray player has a Youtube channel; at least I can watch it on my big TV instead of my 17" monitor....

In regards to SyFY, it's not completely about "confidence in the product" anymore, its about costs and the direction the network is going in. It should also be noted, that back in the original announcement of this series (somewhere in '08, I think) it had been intended to be a webseries. Then it was changed to a two hour telemmovie/back door pilot for a potential series. Now, that's not to say that they don't have confidence in this project, far from it. They possibly don't, but the fact it's premiering online isn't necessarily a testament to that.

That said...

I loved these first two "webisodes" and will tune in on the sixteenth for the next release! I have some minor quable with all the lens flare, but that may be because of my sensitivity to the light. Either way though, I liked it, and will watch the rest and perhaps even see the broadcast on SyFy. If I like it still, I'll consider getting the unrated DVD/Blu-Ray.

I also loved how this is beginning. I will certainly buy the DVD or blu-ray, because I want the full unedited version and content, but I won't be watching it on SyFy... considering how the web version already censors the profanity, PLUS does so without commercial interruptions, I don't need to see it broken up with commercials on TV.

I guess I'm the only one who was underwhelmed so far...

I'm a lifelong BSG fan (from TOS to new BSG) and I was a bit less than impressed.

The virtual cinematography, sets and FX looked mushy and overly lens-flared (even JJ Abrams would've blushed). There were scenes in the CIC and the hangar bay where I could barely make heads or tails of what was going on (and this was from watching it on my 42" TV in my living room, via my blu ray's Youtube channel). The CIC was virtually lit like a rock concert or a WWE cage match. The new, 'bigger' hangar deck didn't match the one I remember in the show. And the 'fully armored' version of Galactica also had the negative effect of reducing it's scale a bit on screen. I'd always assumed the ribbed design of Galactica was for better heat dissipation (like a motorcycle cylinder) in the event of an attack.

Oh well....

Not crazy about the new Husker Adama; the kid does not in any way, shape or form remind me at all of a young Eddie Olmos. I do not see it at all. His voice and accent are totally wrong as well. Nico Cortez, who played young Husker in 2007's "Razor" was spot-on perfect. Too bad they didn't get him back for this one. The Cylon expert Bekka (played by the lovely actress I met at Comic Con in 2011; can't recall her name) was playing it so cool that she barely registered (hope that changes soon). The only character I was really intrigued by was Coker, Adama's ECO on 'the weasel.' I could see why Adama later bonded with Tigh; he has experience with difficult, bitter drunks.

Those are my initial thoughts after watching episodes 1 and 2 this morning. It's still early and it could easily get better, but so far I'm not exactly in love here.... :confused:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

So far, so good is my humble opinion. The episode are way too short, though. Even for youtube. So that aspect is a bit frustrating.

I think the new Adama isn't too bad, minus his voice. He doesn't sound anything at all like Olmos. Granted, Olmos has that older, more mature voice due to his age. But still....

I did like all the references to Caprica, though. I had wondered if they were going to pretend that it never happened.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0