Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frontier

Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome

75 posts in this topic

The proposed web-series centered around a young William Adama after the first Cylon War has been promoted to full on TV movie and back-door pilot!

http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/10/22/syfy-adama-blood-and-chrome/

The network liked Michael Taylor's script for the project so much that Syfy will air 'Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome' on the network as the pilot for a possible young Adama TV series.

Mark Stern, Syfy's executive vice president of original programming and the co-head of original content for Universal Cable Productions, said the network hoped to begin production on the pilot in Vancouver in early 2011.

'Blood & Chrome,' which takes place in the tenth year of the Cylon War, follows Adama, a recent Academy graduate, as he and a rookie pilot take a female character on an important mission. There's a potential love interest for Adama in the story, but the pilot is basically about that mission, which, if successful, could turn the tide of the war.'

Stern said actor Nico Cortez was "great" as young Adama in the 'BSG' movie 'Razor,' but it is not certain that he will take the lead in 'Blood & Chrome.' "I'm assuming there will be a full casting process for this pilot, but with Nico at the top of the list," Stern said. There's also a chance that we'll meet younger versions of other 'Battlestar' characters or people connected to either that world or to 'Caprica,' but the new project would try to do those things with "a light touch," Stern said.

All sounds good!

:cylon:

I was somewhat looking forward to the webseries aspect of it, actually, as they'd have a bit more creative freedom... I love this, though and will watch it. What concerns me though, is the re-imagined universe becoming a 'franchise' and then turning stale and generic, with nothing 'big' happening, kind of like what happened with Trek, Stargate, etc... Still, I'll watch the series out of interest (or movie, I mean) to see what it's like, and it could be cool to see Galactica again, except see it when she's in her prime and top of the line.

There's a couple things that I feel irk me for some odd reason, and I have no idea why, the timeline setting and his rank, for some reason, I feel like that's wrong, or off. Odd.

Sounds like a great idea - and i'm only surprised that they didn't go this route with the prequel in the first place. Also, something about its set up makes it less likely to be stolid and glacial paced as Caprica, and with the war itself as a backdrop we should still see lots of gritty drama and action that made BSG so good to watch - though hopefully without as much voodoo philosophy choking it up.

If they can recapture (without copying and being a carbon copy, etc...) BSG, they may just get something good, I think it'd be pretty neat to see a series along that lines within the twelve colonies.

I will watch the pilot before judging, but the fact that I'll try it is good.

I hope they could have some good effects in the pilot (and series if it becomes as such), a part of what sold me on BSG was how real some of the ships look. It'd be a shame of a setting about Galactica in her prime had her looking cheap.

I think given the cancellation of Caprica it means to say they will throw their lot in behind this. It is more in keeping with the original nuBSG than Caprica. I think the politics of the Twelve Colonies, the Cylon War, whatever the Taurus incident was, etc should make this quite interesting actually. So long as they leave the mumbo jumbo at the door and concentrate on good story telling and character arcs.

This could be good!

I have much more hope for this than I ever did for Caprcia.

Originally, I wasn't looking forward to Blood & Chrome mainly because I thought (and think) Caprica was dumped in favor of it, but I got a saw the final few minutes of Caprica on YouTube and now I see how it can lead in Blood & Chrome easily, even though it wasn't the intention.

SyFy actually explained their decision quite nicely through one of those funky anti-social networking pages. It was doomed and decided on it's own merits and ratings failures, and the decision for B&C was made before such.

SyFy actually explained their decision quite nicely through one of those funky anti-social networking pages. It was doomed and decided on it's own merits and ratings failures, and the decision for B&C was made before such.

I figured Caprica was cancelled for independent reasons but I viewed SyFy's ordering of Blood & Chrome as being a way to continue the BSG universe with or without Caprica. I don't remember reading anything about B&C before the second half of 2010, after Caprica S1.0.

Frakking Bull. That's what this is.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/26/battlestar-galactica-blood-chorme-cast/

pasqualino-cotton_320.jpg?w=300&h=225

The little dick-weed on the left? The punk teenager looking kid that looks like a tool? Yeah, that's supposed to be Bill Adama.

:rolleyes:

That after the great job Nico Cortez did in Razor

7700.jpg

I give up. I just give up.

I'd be curious to the reasons behind this decision, Nico looks more the right age (and i think is the right age) for the Younger Adama. I'm also somewhat curious behind the decision on the tenth year of the war, although I guess the timeline does match out somewhere (I think Adama has been in the military 40 something years by the time the miniseries rolls around) so I guess the year is fine. Still... I'll give the new guy a chance, he may be worthwhile into the role (although having Nico again just would have been awesome).

There is next to no reason I can see this as acceptable, unless Nico Cortez looks 40+ years old right now, or he was mauled by a tiger, or something else.

Casting this wet-behind-the-ears pup in the role might be for story purposes, but it's also lame for the fact that Razor gave us such a great early Adama and now we're being asked to swallow this kid in the same role.

I'll still give it a benefit of a doubt, could still be good (not that I will hold my breath on this), and of course with a potential for a series maybe the other actor did not want to commit to that. Either way, I will still check it out on the chance it's enjoyable (and it's a rather interesting era they chose, as well).

I just can't fathom Adama being played by some kid who looks like he should be an extra on Glee... :rolleyes:

A lot of people couldn't fathom Starbuck being a woman, either and I thought she turned out pretty good (for the most part), what I will wonder about is the sets and CGI. Will they be able to copy the look of Galactica (and any other Battlestar of the class) while making her look new(er)? Will the effects look just as good, if not better as the parent series? The timing makes me somewhat wonder what kind of pacing there would be if this commissioned into a series, although I wouldn't count on getting more then a season or two, still, I wonder.

A lot of people couldn't fathom Starbuck being a woman, either and I thought she turned out pretty good (for the most part), what I will wonder about is the sets and CGI. Will they be able to copy the look of Galactica (and any other Battlestar of the class) while making her look new(er)? Will the effects look just as good, if not better as the parent series? The timing makes me somewhat wonder what kind of pacing there would be if this commissioned into a series, although I wouldn't count on getting more then a season or two, still, I wonder.

I think she did well as a female Starbuck. She's almost like a mirror universe version of him.

I plan to give the show a chance. I'm not all that familiar with Pasqualino's work/acting abilities, so I will be going in mostly unbiased in regards to how well he may or may not portray the character.

Other cast members have been announced:

Luke Pasqualino as William "Husker" Adama

Ben Cotton as Coker Fasjovik

Mike Dopud as Captain Deke "Minute Man" Tornvald

Brian Markinson as Commander Silas Nash

Allison Warnyca as Jaycie McGavin

Lili Bordán as Dr. Becca Kelly

Zak Santiago as Armin "High Top" Diaz

Carmen Moore as Unknown Pilot

Karen LeBlanc as Unknown Pilot

Adrian Holmes as Unknown Pilot

According to the Battlestar Wiki, Ty Olsson (Aaron Kelly from re-imagined BSG) has also been cast, but his role has not yet been revealed. In addition, the Battlestar Wiki also has some information regarding to the plot and names of ships appearing in Blood & Chrome if anyone is at all interested.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0