Sign in to follow this  
Hellfighter

Worf, instead of Yar dies from Armus?

This has always interested me, and I think it would be a great Myriad Universe story. Let's say this, in Skin of Evil, Worf beams down to Vagra II, and is killed by Armus. What would be the impacts by this event?

Not sure what would happen on the Enterprise's missions but if Worf had died then the corruption and lies by the Duras family would have likely gone unchecked, they'd get control of the Klingon empire and side with the Romulans against the Federation.

It wouldnt happen because he wasnt even the seurity chief

No, but there could be a time where they keep Yar on the ship.

If Worf died....

~We wouldn't have very many Klingon-centered episodes, much less learn about their culture (through canon material).

~No K'Ehleyr/Worf pairing (and no Alexander...but he's not exactly a popular character)

~The Klingon eps in DS9 wouldn't be as engaging. That familiarity that we see with Worf and the Klingons in TNG wouldn't be there, so there wouldn't be enough canon material for DS9 to build off of.

~To go with what Starblind said, the house of Duras would most likely seize control of the empire and ally themselves with the Romulans, becoming a major major threat to the UFP.

~We wouldn't have Worf's famous one-liners, like "Sir, I protest! I am NOT a Merry Man!"

~Jadzia would be paired with Bashir.

~MAYBE Tasha would make appearances on DS9, perhaps to command the Defiant in a few episodes.

Edited by Varekai

Hammer   

If Worf had been killed off instead, they would have been down one non-human main character. They'd pretty much be left with Data and Troi and the recurring Guinan character. Whoopi Goldberg generally didn't have time to portray Guinan outside of a couple scenes per episode, save Time's Arrow. On top of that, Betazoids were identical to humans aside from their black eye color, and El-Aurian are completely identical to humans. IMO they would have had to add another alien-looking character to keep the Star Trek feel to the show. They needed a Klingon anyway to add more to cannon about them, unless they were planning to write the Klingons as the enemies once again.

There might have been a bit of a different dynamic between Picard and Yar than he had with Worf. Worf would come up with what he saw as prudent security decisions, and Picard would usually politely shoot him down. "I appreciate your concern/prudence Mr Worf, but..." "Where I need you right now is on the bridge Mr. Worf...(and not on the away mission)" Worf would grumble about it, but he wouldn't often challenge Picard's decisions. Yar's character was a bit of a hot-head, and I think we would have seen her challenge his decisions more.

Voyager   

That is a very vaild point, Hammer. If Worf had died, there would have been a lack of regular aliens, and the Klingons would not have evolved nearly to the level of development they got with him on the show.

As (Hellfighter, Jay, Voyager, and Star) said Earlier, there would've been some interesting opportunities to compose more of a substitute "Ro Laren" character for Tasha Yar in fics (Dominion War-era) developed toward later episodes.

Yar.png

Credit: Yar Image by FltCpt. Bossco of STPMA

TashaYar.jpg

Credit: Yar image by Quinton Beck of STPMA

Edited by Hellsgate

Voyager   

They could have done the episode and have her not die, so it might have been her death was just included in the episode so that she could leave, rather than it being made specifically for that reason. I don't know which way round it happened, but 'Skin of Evil' could easily have been written so Yar didn't die.

Something that's struck me as odd is how every modern Trek show, from TNG to Enterprise, had a character who handled ship's tactical and ship's internal security. I could buy Worf handling tactical or Tasha handling security, or vice versa, but having one officer do both seems rather silly/strange.

Any pics of Robert Beltran in TNG "First Contact" uniform as Captain Chakotay? I'd like to see more pics of Chakotay in the Project Full Circle era of Voyager,

@Voyager Sure Sela could have still existed-Just combine the logic of her story with that of "Parallels" and "Yesterday's Enterprise": Sela's now an alternate universe version of Tasha who abandoned Starfleet to join the Romulans after feeling betrayed by the collapse of her colony. Can you imagine our Tasha debating her Romulan counterpart as she realises they really are the same person and just made different decisions at critical points in life? Just like Kira and Intendant Kira in "Crossover".

@Premonition_45 IIRC Tasha's death was a last-minute addition to "Skin of Evil" once Denise Crosby aired her greivances with the way her character was being handled-The story was already in production, it just would have focused more on Picard's debates with Armus about Sadism had she not decided to leave.

@Hellsgate Those pictures are *amazing*!

Tasha was always one of my favourite characters on TNG: I think she had fascinating potential and an incredibly unique backstory and it's always driven me crazy she left the show when she did and in the manner she did.

That said I like Worf a lot too and wouldn't have liked to see him die either. I feel the show was big enough for both of them, and I just find it to be a shame TNG wasn't able to figure out how to be more character-oriented and to balance its cast better until Tasha was long gone.

Here's an alternative question: What might TNG have looked like had the producers gone with their original decisions and cast Denise Crosby as Deanna Troi and Marina Sirits as Security Chief Macha Hernandez?

Edited by Jadzia Atonga

Sign in to follow this