Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

Which are your favourite friendships?

Voyager   

There are often discussions about our favourite romantic pairings, but how about friendships. Which ones in the series were special to you?

In TNG I liked the friendship between Picard and Guinan; I thought that it was well written and worked being underplayed.

In DS9 I liked Dax's friendship with Sisko and how it carried over from one host to another. I also liked Jadzia's friendship with Kira and how they were always gossiping; it just seemed like very natural girl talk.

For Voyager, the friendship between Janeway and Tuvok is special to me and I wish there had been more of it. I also liked the buddy friendship that Tom and Harry had, and I liked Seven's friendship with with the Doctor and Naomi.

Data and Geordi has to go on that list, as I like pretty much everything you've said there Voyager They were two great friends looking out for each other and helping each other out with any number of projects. It also has it's comical moments, such as the irony of a blind man teaching and android how to paint as Riker once pointed out :giggle:

Edited by Starfire

My list:

TOS -

Kirk & Spock

TNG -

Data & Geordi

Picard & Guinan

DS9 -

Ben Sisko & Jadzia Dax

O'Brien & Bashir

Kira Nerys & Jadzia Dax

VOY -

Kathryn Janeway & Tuvok

Tom Paris & Harry Kim

7 of 9 & Naomi

7 of 9 & The Doctor

B'Elanna Torres & Harry Kim

Benedict   

The aforementioned Chekov/Sulu

Trip/Reed, Trip/Archer

Beverly/Deanna, Beverly/Guinan (very little I suppose)

Bashir/O'Brien

Lexi   

I agree that Picard and Guinan's friendship was one of the most potent - one of my favourites. That it was downplayed really did hint at the deep level of affection and respect that they had for each other, and it was entirely enriching for both characters to see that there was someone that Picard would turn to as others might turn to him.

Data and Geordi is probably my favorite from TNG. Data would never have gotten as close as he did to humanity without Geordi.

Tom and Harry was another personal favorite.

I liked Miles and Bashir. They did really well together after their rocky start.

As for Enterprise, Trip and Max come the farthest out of any of them.

Here's my list:

TOS

Kirk and Bones

Kirk and Spock

TNG

Data and Geordi

Picard and Guinan

Troi and Tasha

DS9

Jadzia and Sisko

Jake and Nog

Bashir and O'Brien

Bashir and Garak

VOY

Tom Paris and Harry Kim (of course)

Seven and the Doctor

ENT

Archer and Shran

Artemis   

Kirk & Spock, Spock and McCoy

Despite not caring much for either I did like the friendship between Geordie and Data

O'Brien & Bashir on DS9 was very natural

Haven't watched much Voyager and even less Enterprise but it seems that Chacotay and Janeway had a good thing (that could have been a romance but didn't happen- damn writers)

I often fail to see the friendship because I tend to ship two guys people more than see the friendship. Blame the fact that I've been a fan fic writer for years, lol. I'll try, though!

TOS

Spock and Bones. Kirk and Spock are too ship-able, can no longer see just the friendship, lol.

TNG

Jean-Luc and Guinan indeed. Very nicely done. Although their relationship goes "beyond friendship" (hey, I'm not making this up, it's canon! lol).

I also enjoy Riker and Troi as friends. Just not as a couple. *gag*

DS9

O'Brien and Bashir. Also definitely Sisko and Dax. I also like Kira and Odo as friends. Just not as a couple. *gag*

VOY and ENT I don't really care about. Sorry, no preferences here in this regard. :)

Voyager   

B'Elanna Torres & Harry Kim

Oh yes, of course, I can't believe I missed that one out. I really like that friendship too.

Guest Kes   
Guest Kes

hi all

mine would be

TOS

Kirk / Spock

TNG

Troi / Crusher

Troi / Riker

DS9

Jadzia Dax / Sisko

Jadzia Dax / Kira

Ezri Dax / Sisko

Ezri Dax / Bashir

Bashir / O' Brian

VOY

Kes / Neelix

Kes / Doc

Kes / Janeway

Janeway / Chakotay

Chakotay / Torres

Torres / Kim

Paris / Kim

ENT

Trip /T'Pol

Archer / T'Pol

Merrywether / Reed

Trip / Reed

Kes

Edited by Kes

Benedict   

I'd add to mine above: Bashir/Garak

and Odo/Quark

it's not a friendship...yet...it is.

Janeway and Tuvok - a friendship I'd wanted explored more.

The trio of McCoy/Spock/Kirk.

Archer and T'Pol as it developed over the course of the series.

Bashir and O'Briend as it too had a development.

Have to go with the lesser seen but very effective portrayal of friendship of Guinan and Picard.

Garak and Bashir. I especially like how they have that tradition of having lunch together and chatting about things like Shakespeare and other random stuff. They make an interesting combination, too -- Bashir the idealist and Garak the cynic.

I also quite like Data and Geordie.

Garak and Bashir

Bashir and O'Brien

Picard and Guinan

Spock and McCoy

Archer and Trip

I know I should've just picked one for Bashir, but his dynamics with O'Brien and Garak are very different and yet equally fascinating.  DS9 was one of the first STs to really get the 'feel' of friendships just right.  Bashir is just a groovy guy to be friends with, I guess.  

And I know many think Picard should automatically pair with Riker, but I don't see them as friends as much as I do Picard and Guinan; he really is 'himself' wiith her in a way that he just isn't allowed to be with his first officer.  Will & Jean-Luc are close, but there is always an omnipresent air of professionalism and a slight distance between them.  There is none of that with Picard and Guinan. 

People might also typically place Kirk with Spock, but I love the love/hate dynamic between Spock and McCoy much better; it seems that the barbs and the insults mask a deeper connection that the two obviously feel but would never show.  ST Beyond really nailed that, and it was the best part of the movie as far as I was concerned. 

Archer and Trip.  The only real buddy dynamic we see on ENT, with the possible exception of Hoshi and Phlox; both of whom I enjoy as well, but their association never quite built to the easiness I enjoyed with Trip and Archer. 

Sign in to follow this