Sign in to follow this  
ussabbey-3

A Large Meeting?

Hey, guys, I was thinking about how cool it would be if us members of the OS here sort of had an "Omega Sector Meet", where a bunch of us met each other in real life, and we talked and socialized in real life instead of staring at a computer screen all day.

It would be fun to meet all of the people in RL, and have great conversations with them. We could maybe even have little pieces of yarn that are "threads" and each of us would reply by writing on a piece of paper and sticking it to the thread... :giggle:

I don't know where it could be or how we could get there, but it's just a little idea that I had... :biggrin:

Well, nearly half of our forum members are in Europe, so that becomes an issue right there. Where would we meet up, when, how, important questions I can't answer.

Hey, guys, I was thinking about how cool it would be if us members of the OS here sort of had an "Omega Sector Meet", where a bunch of us met each other in real life, and we talked and socialized in real life instead of staring at a computer screen all day.

It would be fun to meet all of the people in RL, and have great conversations with them. We could maybe even have little pieces of yarn that are "threads" and each of us would reply by writing on a piece of paper and sticking it to the thread... :giggle:

I don't know where it could be or how we could get there, but it's just a little idea that I had... :biggrin:

I reckon it would end up like the episode of The Guild where the Guildies first meet in real life...

nah, it's something I've done on a few other forums and had a good time from it. I went to one last year and now sorta have a girlfriend from it so call that a bit of a win. They were forums where a much larger proportion of the members were in the UK (much closer to 100%) though, finding a place for a mass meet of this forum would be a nightmare (even if I have suggested a church/bar I live near should anyone ever be in these parts :P). I believe it's been mentioned before and there have been mini-meets of 2-4 people (someone can probably put me straight on that if I'm wrong ;):P ). It'd probably be best as a set of regional meets for the sake of traveltime etc (US, UK, European, so still talking quite large 'regions' etc), but I dunno.

Edited by DaxFanDS9

The closest I ever came to another OS member was when I went on a field trip to New York, and the classes were in NJ half the time. I was wondering if I would get to see Gary. :P

Hellfighter, we could arrange a poll and vote on it. However, I might not be able to come. My mom gets nervous when I visit my cousin who lives about a half-hour drive from where I live. :glare:

Or the continents could take turns! Europe for one meet, the Americas for another... etc. etc.! :)

EDIT: I didn't see Hellfighter's last post about the regional meets. I totally agree with him. We had the same idea at the same time. :P

Edited by ussabbey-3

Meet ups are sometimes difficult with a global online community... might be best doing something regionally for folks in a given area.

Plus, from my experiences so far, individual meetups are a great idea. I met Virogen, my fellow webmaster, over 5 years ago and had him round for Christmas with the family, then went travelling with him for a couple of months around Asia last year... then stayed with Mutai Sho Rin and TeriLynn in the States earlier this year and had an absolutely fantastic time. All amazing people. Obviously use common sense, but the majority of people here seem quite sane... even if their pets aren't! ;)

You don't really want to meet our macaw then Adam :P Damn thing's a head case thanks to her previous owner. :confused:

This reminds me, I keep meaning to get hold of Glenn again and try and arrange something now he lives over the other side of Medway.

I've met people off a forum before and we've been friends for years now and meet up at least once a year (some I meet more often individually). As we live all over the UK we pick somewhere that's either central or easy for people to get to, like we've met in London, Liverpool, Glasgow, York. I certainly wouldn't go to a European one (unless it was in the UK - lol) because that's a bit expensive travelling all the way to France or Germany really!

Well since most of the European members appear to be from the UK anyway, the UK would be the most logical spot for the European Omega Sector meeting. IMO.

I don't attend such meetings in general and I'm terribly afraid of flying anyway (not to mention the money issue), so, have fun there! ;)

I'm terribly afraid of flying anyway (not to mention the money issue), so, have fun there! ;)

Don't you guys have High-Speed Rail?

I'm terribly afraid of flying anyway (not to mention the money issue), so, have fun there! ;)

Don't you guys have High-Speed Rail?

Yeah, but I hate to think how bloody expensive it is.

So, the problems are:

-Cost

-Distance

-Bravery to travel far from home.

If only everything were free like Picard said in First Contact. :giggle:

But, yeah! We could find a central place for the regions, or We could all pitch in a little bit of money to get a cruise ship to dock at certain ports around the world! Like one port could be at Boston, another along the coast of southern England? or anywhere where it's a central place, and then along the coast of Germany for Mrs.P (or Mrs.P could just rent a canoe and paddle to England. :P ). Then the ship could go through the Panama Canal into the Pacific, to wherever Mike lives. :biggrin:

The coast of Germany would be a nice idea, if you pay the horribly expensive train journey. I live in the deeeeeep south of Germany. :P I'm not afraid to travel far from home, I'm afraid of FLYING. ;) And Starfire is right, the Eurostar is NOT within my money range, so to speak. ;)

Nah, seriously, never mind me here during your plans. I'm not a very "socializing" person, so, it would be pointless for me to show up anyway. ;)

I think its actually a good idea and its also a bad idea. Some ca be friendly and wonderful online, but they can be nasty scum of the Earth in real life. I am the only member here that is from this area on this forum sadly so I am alone. :( But I do know its only an hours flight to Adam and some others, I am thinking of going to a concert next year and mabe have a differnt venue to go to. I would likey have to go by myself, because none of my real life friends would go. I have offered any member from Manchester to meet up on a United match day but no takers.

We will see. I am Noth American so I would be the only one in the UK with that connection.

The coast of Germany would be a nice idea, if you pay the horribly expensive train journey. I live in the deeeeeep south of Germany. :P I'm not afraid to travel far from home, I'm afraid of FLYING. ;) And Starfire is right, the Eurostar is NOT within my money range, so to speak. ;)

Nah, seriously, never mind me here during your plans. I'm not a very "socializing" person, so, it would be pointless for me to show up anyway. ;)

Money's an issue here ... I'm still trying to get the money together to pay for a passport so I can tag along to the re-enacting events that happen abroad. (I've only been saying about getting the damn thing for two years now!) :laugh:

I believe Herbiez is in the Manchester area, Scotty :)

I have family in the London area (Croydon-ish) so would be feasible for me to do some sort of meet with some of y'all down there at some point. Only other members I think are close to me (Nottingham) are Sam and possibly GD?

Edited by DaxFanDS9

So Far...

North America:

Albany

Detroit

Europe:

England

Southern Germany

What about putting Dublin Ireland on that list? ;)

So Far...

North America:

Albany

Detroit

Europe:

England

Dublin

Southern Germany

What about putting Dublin Ireland on that list? ;)

Fix'd!

Okay, let's roll call. For those in North America, say your metropolitan area, or closest one.

Charlotte, NC for me