You're not alone, fellow freak... I think you, Gus and I are it's only defenders. :laugh::thumbup:

No... I'm also very fond of Generations! I know all the arguments, all the flaws, I know it's a mess... but, for all that, it occupies a special position in my heart. One of my most rewatched Trek movies, in fact!

Me too!!

giphy.gif

I had it on laserdisc, single-disc DVD (the non-anamorphic 1 disc vanilla release) and the 2-disc special edition DVD.

If Mrs. Vie wouldn't roll her eyes too much, I'd probably get it on blu ray... :laugh:

It is highly rewatchable to me for some reason.

You're not alone, fellow freak... I think you, Gus and I are it's only defenders. :laugh:/> :thumbup:/>

No... I'm also very fond of Generations! I know all the arguments, all the flaws, I know it's a mess... but, for all that, it occupies a special position in my heart. One of my most rewatched Trek movies, in fact!

Me too!!

giphy.gif

I had it on laserdisc, single-disc DVD (the non-anamorphic 1 disc vanilla release) and the 2-disc special edition DVD.

If Mrs. Vie wouldn't roll her eyes too much, I'd probably get it on blu ray... :laugh:/>

Ha! I'm waiting for it to come down in price on Blu-Ray... I will definitely nab it at some point. For me it's kind of a guilty pleasure... At the time I first saw it, I was well cognizant of how all-over-the-place it was structurally. But it came at a time in my life when I rally missed TNG and was going through some personal troubles! and this movie arrived. I went to see it several times at the movie theater and just... I dunno, bonded with it. I sort of wish that the TNG movies had ended with First Contact so they'd gone out on a high.

You're not alone, fellow freak... I think you, Gus and I are it's only defenders. :laugh:/> :thumbup:/>

Me too!!

giphy.gif

If Mrs. Vie wouldn't roll her eyes too much, I'd probably get it on blu ray... :laugh:/>

Ha! I'm waiting for it to come down in price on Blu-Ray... I will definitely nab it at some point. For me it's kind of a guilty pleasure... At the time I first saw it, I was well cognizant of how all-over-the-place it was structurally. But it came at a time in my life when I rally missed TNG and was going through some personal troubles! and this movie arrived. I went to see it several times at the movie theater and just... I dunno, bonded with it. I sort of wish that the TNG movies had ended with First Contact so they'd gone out on a high.

In a way, I do too. Would've been nice to end on a bang, rather than the one-two whimper that was INS and NEM...

I, too, adore Generations. I'm well-aware of the flaws, the problems, and I know the problems people have with it. However, if I can take away the one, best thing about that film... it's the flawless special effects during the saucer crash landing sequence. That film is 20 years old, and that one sequence still has the best practical special effects I've seen. It's awe-inspiring.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, 45 viewings

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, 41 viewings

Star Trek: First Contact, 37 viewings

Star Trek III: The Sears for Spock, 34 viewings

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, 34 viewings

Star Trek: The Motion Picture, 28 viewings

Star Trek Generations, 22 viewings

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, 21 viewings

Star Trek Insurrection, 17 viewings

Star Trek Nemesis, 16 viewings

Star Trek 2009, 8 viewings

Star Trek Into Darkness, 5 viewings

Rating according also to viewings on video or in theaters, and usually in theaters it was just 2 or 3 times.

I think the most watched in theater Star Trek movie was Star Trek 2009, for 4 times, and Into Darkness, for 3 times.

I, too, adore Generations. I'm well-aware of the flaws, the problems, and I know the problems people have with it. However, if I can take away the one, best thing about that film... it's the flawless special effects during the saucer crash landing sequence. That film is 20 years old, and that one sequence still has the best practical special effects I've seen. It's awe-inspiring.

I love the saucer crash!!

That was (and is) one of the best FX moments in all of ST (then and now).

When I saw the actual saucer used for that sequence in the ST Exhibition Tour in Long Beach (in 2008), I about dropped to the floor....

12290828504_3683b678b7.jpg

... that thing is BIG. About 8 ft. wide, at least.

ZOD   

I've been away for a while, but I can't resist these lists...

Great movies:

1. Wrath of Khan (I used to draw scenes from this movie when I was a kid)

2. ST09 (a fun movie with heart, you care about the charters even when that are doing impossible things)

Great Star Trek movies:

3. The Voyage Home (I remember how much fun this movie was to watch, even the interviews with the actors at that time felt fun)

4. The Undiscovered Country (This could have been #1 or #2 but there are goofy plot holes and inconsistencies that take me out of the story)

5. First Contact (Best TNG movie by a mile)

Fun Movie:

6. Into Darkness (really fun, emotional movie with plot holes and inconsistencies that took me out of the story from time to time)

Good Star Trek Movies:

7. Search for Spock (A little slow, a few glaring plot holes, but a nice movie)

8. The Motion Picture (It's a sentimental favorite, I know it's boring)

Bad Star Trek Movies:

9. Generations (75% OK, 25% crap)

10. The Final Frontier (A few nice charter moments don'd outweigh some truly awful ones... and a bad story... and bad FX... and... and)

11. Insurrection (This is the most aggravating TNG movie. It had the right spirit, but was really pretty terrible)

Crap:

12. Nemesis

I guess I could swap 5 for 6, or 10 for 11. Anyway, this is generally how I feel about the movies.

mars396   

#1 Star Trek 2009

#2 Star Trek Into Darkness

#3 Star Trek The Motion Picture

#4 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

#5 Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

#6 Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

#7 Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

#8 Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

#9 Star Trek: Insurrection

#10 Star Trek: Nemesis

#11 Star Trek: First Contact

#12 Star Trek: Generations

Going from the gut. Haven't actually seen a lot of the flicks that recently, but I know many by heart.

1. THE WRATH OF KHAN

2. THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY

3. FIRST CONTACT

4. THE VOYAGE HOME

5. THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK

6. THE MOTION PICTURE

7. GENERATIONS

8. INSURRECTION

9. THE FINAL FRONTIER

10. NEMESIS

kenman   

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
2. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
3. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

4. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
5. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
6. Star Trek: First Contact

7. Star Trek (2009)
8. Star Trek: Generations
9. Star Trek: Insurrection
10. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

11. Star Trek: Nemesis

12. Star Trek Into Darkness

Sim   

My list at the moment:

Outstanding ST movies:

1. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home / Star Trek VI : The Undiscovered Country (shared spot, really can't decide)

3. Star Trek (2009)

Great ST movies:

4. Star Trek: First Contact

5. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Good ST movie:

6. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

Mixed movies:

7. Star Trek: Generations / Star Trek Into Darkness (shared spot)

Bad movies:

9. Star Trek: The Motion Picture / Star Trek V: The Final Frontier / Star Trek: Insurrection (shared spot again)

12. Star Trek: Nemesis

1 - Wrath of Khan

2 - Voyage Home

3 - Undiscovered Country

4 - Generations

5 - First Contact

6 - The Motion Picture

7 - The Search for Spock

8 - Insurrection

9 - Nemesis

10 - Final Frontier

1 - Wrath of Khan

2 - Voyage Home

3 - Undiscovered Country

4 - Generations

5 - First Contact

6 - The Motion Picture

7 - The Search for Spock

8 - Insurrection

9 - Nemesis

10 - Final Frontier

Welcome aboard, SciFiOnscreen! :)

Enjoy the forums.

Any questions about Board Policy? There is a version 2.5 of it in the lower right of your screen. Live long and prosper!

PS: As a fellow GEN fan? It's nice to see it rank so high on your list... :thumbsup2:

maneth   

1. First Contact

2. The Search for Spock

3. The Motion Picture

4. The Voyage Home

5. The Final Frontier

6. Nemesis

7. Generations

8. Insurrection

9. The Undiscovered Country

10. The Wrath of Khan

I know I'm in a minority, but I simply can't stand Khan. What an arrogant bastard! Cinematographically the movie is a masterpiece, but Khan ruins it for me completely. In addition I would rank ST XI between TFF and NEM, and STID between TUC and TWOK.

I don't think my list has changed much over the years.

TWOK/TMP/TFF are always at the top, each with major flaws but eminently rewatchable nonetheless. The cheapness of TWOK is increasingly bothersome, though.

I used to rank SFS as the bottom of the first six because it squanders the most possibilities, but it does have more enjoyable moments than TVH and TUC, so I guess it would be SFS/TUC//TVH.

I don't like any of the TNG movies at all, but I guess it would be GEN for the opening reel, followed by INS, FC (which also squanders enormous potential, not even showing more than a sliver of postnuke Earth) and NEM.

Into Darkness is leagues above the 09 movie for me (still just a higher level of hell), but 09 created a Trek nadir that is somehow below even what bits I was able to endure from the atrocious VOYAGER and ENTERPRISE.

1. The Motion Picture

2. The Wrath Of Khan

3. The Voyage Home

4. The Search For Spock

5. Into Darkness

6. The Final Frontier

7. Star Trek

8. The Undiscovered Country

9. Generations

10. First Contact

11. Insurrection

12. Nemesis

1. The Motion Picture

2. The Wrath Of Khan

3. The Voyage Home

4. The Search For Spock

5. Into Darkness

6. The Final Frontier

7. Star Trek

9. Generations

10. First Contact

11. Insurrection

12. Nemesis

I love TMP. It is an underrated masterpiece...

1. The Motion Picture

2. The Wrath Of Khan

3. The Voyage Home

4. The Search For Spock

5. Into Darkness

6. The Final Frontier

7. Star Trek

9. Generations

10. First Contact

11. Insurrection

12. Nemesis

Absolutely - it's woefully misunderstood. The VFX are still magnificent, Goldsmith's score remains one of the best in cinematic history and the quite deliberate medium/slow pace all add up to an atmospheric science fiction odyssey of the type rarely seen these days.

I love the Enterprise fly by, I love the extended cloud sequences and I love the aforementioned contemplative pacing.

Edited by LOKAI of CHERON

TMP's musical score is actually my favorite of the ST movies. Jerry Goldsmith was such a talent. Not taking away from other composers (including the recently, tragically lost James Horner) but each time I listen to the TMP soundtrack it just gets better and better. The V'ger stuff (with that awesome 'blaster beam') is so wonderfully unconventional too.

Sim   

1. The Motion Picture

2. The Wrath Of Khan

3. The Voyage Home

4. The Search For Spock

5. Into Darkness

6. The Final Frontier

7. Star Trek

9. Generations

10. First Contact

11. Insurrection

12. Nemesis

Absolutely - it's woefully misunderstood. The VFX are still magnificent, Goldsmith's score remains one of the best in cinematic history and the quite deliberate medium/slow pace all add up to an atmospheric science fiction odyssey of the type rarely seen these days.

I love the Enterprise fly by, I love the extended cloud sequences and I love the aforementioned contemplative pacing.

As I said somewhere else already ... my main problem with TMP is not that I think it's a bad movie, but that IMO, it's a bad Star Trek movie. Because the characters remain dull, they're nothing like we knew them from TOS, and are exchangeable to the most part.

Wasn't it a Star Trek movie, I'd say it's a pretty good SF movie. But there just isn't much in that movie I recognize as "Star Trek".

TMP's musical score is actually my favorite of the ST movies. Jerry Goldsmith was such a talent. Not taking away from other composers (including the recently, tragically lost James Horner) but each time I listen to the TMP soundtrack it just gets better and better. The V'ger stuff (with that awesome 'blaster beam') is so wonderfully unconventional too.

I don't know if you picked up the recent special edition 3-CD soundtrack release from LA LA Land - but I can HIGHLY recommend it if you haven't!

Setting my Star Trek fandom aside and speaking only as a musician, the TMP soundtrack can be listened to outside of any connection to the film as the stunning orchestral piece it is. Whether they loved or loathed Star Trek, I would urge any music lover to pick this album up regardless - purely on the merit of the music alone.

I don't know if you picked up the recent special edition 3-CD soundtrack release from LA LA Land - but I can HIGHLY recommend it if you haven't!

Setting my Star Trek fandom aside and speaking only as a musician, the TMP soundtrack can be listened to outside of any connection to the film as the stunning orchestral piece it is. Whether they loved or loathed Star Trek, I would urge any music lover to pick this album up regardless - purely on the merit of the music alone.

I have the 2 disc version from 1999 (the 20th anniversary one) but (sadly) I have yet to get my greedy mitts on the 3-disc LaLa Land edition... but someday.

ItWillBeMine.gif:P

Hammer   

With Beyond out, I think it's time to bump this thread.

"Good Movie" tier

1) STII: The Wrath of Khan 

2) TNG: First Contact

3) STIV: The Voyage Home

4) STVI: The Undiscovered Country

------------------------------------------

"Okay Movie, enjoyed less than others" tier

5) Reboot: Star Trek 2009

6) Reboot: Star Trek Beyond

7) STIII: The Search for Spock

--------------------------------------

"Script is a mess" tier

8) Next Gen: Generations

9) Reboot: STID

-----------------------------------

"Many problems besides just script" tier

10) STI: The Motion Picture

11) TNG: Nemesis

12) STV: The Final Frontier

13) TNG: Insurrection

On 9/19/2013 at 4:53 PM, Robin Bland said:

2. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

3. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

4. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

5. Star Trek: The Motion Picture

6. Star Trek: Generations

7. Star Trek: First Contact

8. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

10. Star Trek: Nemesis

I always get confused with “best” and “favorite” – ranking them suggests which ones are your favorite. I mean, I think that ST: TMP is probably a better movie than Star Trek III, but I can’t help really liking Star Trek III, hence it’s placing here. And First Contact is easily, far and away a better movie than Generations, which is a mess, but again, I have extremely fond memories of Generations, which got me at a time of life when I needed some comfort from old friends, and Generations supplied that. I guess my list would be more like this if I was talking about straightforward successful movie making, at least to my tastes:

2. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

3. Star Trek: The Motion Picture

4. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

5. Star Trek: First Contact

6. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

7. Star Trek: Generations

8. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

10. Star Trek: Nemesis

Oh, there are two other Star Trek movies…? Yeah, the alternate universe ones. OK:

1. Star Trek 2009

2. Into Darkness

I really liked the first one. I didn’t like the second much at all.

It's funny how one's tastes change. I'm gonna rank these again, because it's that kind of morning. This is according to favoritism and how often I rewatch them, not any attempted sense of objectivity about how "good" or "bad" they are.

1. The Undiscovered Country

2. The Wrath of Kahn

3. Star Trek Beyond

4. The Search for Spock

5. The Voyage Home

6. Generations

7. First Contact

8. Star Trek 09

9. The Motion Picture

10. The Final Frontier

11. Nemesis

12. Star Trek Into Darkness  = Insurrection 

The bottom two... I'm gonna make the point that there's still stuff to enjoy there - there's always stuff to enjoy in a Star Trek movie (and that goes for Nemesis and TFF too). But one is so dumb it's barely recognizable as Star Trek and the other is just insipid. 

I think that makes them both about equal in overall lameness. 

I generally shy away from rankings these days, since I’m getting old and sentimental it’s hard to quantify how I feel about a piece of art at any given moment, but... I’ll give it a shot.

**** WARNING: PREFERENCES MAY VARY WITH ANY GIVEN MOOD/DAY **** :P

1.   The Undiscovered Country (just feels the most ‘Star Trek-ish’ to me; it’s usually my turn-to movie when I need a quick TOS ST movie fix).

2.   The Wrath of Khan (damn you, Nicholas Meyer...:P)

3.   Star Trek Beyond (easily my favorite of the Kelvinverse; McCoy and Spock really recapture their TOS feeling in this one)

4.   Generations (largely for sentimental reasons; would take too long to go into here.  Gorgeous music, cinematography, too!)

5.   First Contact (its success is well-earned)

6.   Star Trek 2009 (very rewatchable; and the coming together of that sensational cast is just so much fun...)

7.  The Motion Picture (or as I call it, Star Trek The Planetarium Show...here’s exactly why I love it: https://musingsofamiddleagedgeek.blog/2017/05/02/shall-we-give-the-enterprise-a-proper-shakedown-re-evaluating-star-trek-the-motion-picture/ ).

8. The Voyage Home (sometimes it ranks higher, depends on whether I’ve been out whale watching or not...)

9.  The Search for Spock (warm little movie, lots of heart).

10.  The Final Frontier (with the amazing score by Jerry Goldsmith and the campfire scenes, a good time from this movie can be had...).

11.  Nemesis (a nice-looking fail; gorgeous color palette and a decent space battle).

12. Into Darkness (Feels more like a piss-poor Jason Bourne clone than a ST movie; why are the best looking ST movies always so damned awful?  )

13.  Insurrection (makes for  a boring lost S7 two-parter, let alone a motion picture... in the last two times I’ve tried, I couldn’t even get all the way through it).

Again, this ranking is not etched in stone.   There are days when TMP or The Voyage Home are my favorite, and there are times when I really need a shot of Search For Spock.

The only constant is that INS is always at the very bottom of my list.  :laugh: