Insurrection1701

Rank The Star Trek Films

73 posts in this topic

My personal rankings of the movies:

1. Wrath of Khan.

Primarily because I'm old enough to remember that we wouldn't even BE here discussing a ST movie franchise if it weren't for this movie...

2. Star Trek 2009.

This was probably the most wildly entertaining Star Trek movie I've ever seen; I know others hate it, so sue me. :P

I thought it was a blast.I also enjoyed the chances it took by placing it in an alternate reality parallel to TOS (imploding Vulcan took balls; and I'm glad they didn't hit the galactic reset button at the end, either). It made Star Trek relevant again; and I think the box office agreed with me. Kudos to the new cast too; an affectionate homage to the TOS actors without lapsing into cheap, nightclub impersonations. They all walked a delicate tightrope with aplomb and style. I want to see more of this cast ASAP....

3. The Undiscovered Country.

A terrific champagne send off to the TOS crew and movies; nice to see Sulu with his own ship, too. Wrath of Khan writer/director Nick Meyer's final, classy hurrah to Star Trek. Love the moody music and the gorgeous cinematography by "Rocketeer" DP, Hiro Narita. I remember seeing if for my 25th birthday. Best present I got that year...

4. First Contact.

IMO, easily the best of the TNG movies. Great action never overshadows the characters, as each has their moment to shine (of course, Crusher screws up again... no surprise. She's even upstaged by Voyager's EMH). Beautifully directed by Jonathan Frakes, too. Loved the Enterprise-E design. The Borg were quite possibly the best villains to come out of TNG; too bad they were pretty much neutered in Voyager later on....

5. The Voyage Home.

Could also be called, 'the one with the whales.' I know some may wonder why it's ranked so far down my list? Don't get me wrong; I love this movie. I just love other ST movies more. I tend to think of this one more as an '80s comedy with some Star Trek in it, rather than a regular ST movie. But it's still very humorous, beautifully shot (great use of San Francisco locales; I love that city....) and great fun. Love the whales, too!

6. The Motion Picture.

Again; I know a lot of people hate this one as well, and think it's boring, but I remember seeing it on a big screen as a kid, and it really made me FEEL like I was traveling in space (and Jerry Goldsmith's music was transcendent; my all-time FAVORITE Star Trek score EVER). The spacedock/cloud scenes seem interminable on the TV screen, but they were mesmerizing in 70mm. It was ST's attempt at 2001... I feel it was partly successful. It was also the last Star Trek movie to be about a genuine scifi concept (artificial intelligence becoming self-aware) and not just blowing s**t up....

7. Generations

(see: Generations thread; it's complicated... ). People hate this movie, but for reasons probably uniquely my own? I enjoy it. Perhaps due to the circumstances in which I first saw it, as much as the movie itself...

8. The Search for Spock.

I remember ditching school to see this on opening day... it was worth it. Betrays it's low budget at times, but the characters shine. Good humor, and a lot of fun. The resurrection of Spock is done tastefully, if a bit too 'pseudo-religiously' for my personal tastes....

9. The Final Frontier.

A nightmare of a movie in so many ways; script, direction, FX, story, etc. Basically a big screen remake of TOS "The Way To Eden" but with an angry god imposter-thing, instead of poison fruit and foliage. STV is made (almost) bearable for the campfire and mind meld scenes alone, as they are terrific. Real deep insight into the three lead characters. Almost wish those two scenes could be shoehorned into a better ST movie. And too bad the secondary characters were treated like characters in a really bad sitcom; they were rendered as third rate buffoons. The Keystone Cops in space...

10. Nemesis.

If this were any more of a turd, I'd flush it. Made only vaguely interesting for the decent FX work (the nebula battle is nice, if a bit derivative of "Wrath of Khan"; hell the WHOLE movie is a third-rate remake of "Wrath of Khan", right down to Data's tacked on 'sacrifice'). Biggest problem is that it just doesn't feel AT ALL like a ST movie; like the dune buggy scene, for example (when they marauders came after the landing party, why didn't they just do a wide-field stun on them?!?). Mindless action for action's sake. And Tom Hardy looked about as much like Patrick Stewart's younger self as I do. Still, the end battle and the ramming scene were pretty cool. Not much else to say...

11. Insurrection.

This one commits (IMO) the biggest sin of all the movies. It's a boring, run-of-the-mill, so-so, would-be 7th season TNG episode masquerading as a movie. See my rant in the INS thread... 'nuff said. The only reason I ranked this one lower than Nemesis is because at least Nemesis made an attempt to keep the audience awake now and then. And the so-called Baku 'aliens' who look like they came from the exotic planet of "California"; it's like they weren't even TRYING at this point....

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I just posted this on another thread but I guess it belongs on here more:

For me, I would rank the films roughly in this order, from worst to best:

11. The Motion Picture

10. 2009

9. Nemesis

8. The Search for Spock

7. Generations

6. The Final Frontier

5. Insurrection

4. The Voyage Home

3. The Undiscovered Country

2. The Wrath of Khan

1. First Contact

New and revised rankings to include STID:

1. Wrath of Khan

2. ST09

4. First Contact

5. The Voyage Home

6. The Motion Picture

7. Into Darkness

8. Generations (a sentimental favorite)

9. The Search For Spock

10. The Final Frontier

11. Nemesis

12. Insurrection

I realize some may do a double-take (or a WTF?!) on my placing Into Darkness below TMP, but TMP (IMO) had more of a ST-type story (even if overly derivative of "The Changeling"). The feeling of really traveling into space was very well-realized in TMP (more so than any other ST movie), and it also does a great job (esp. on a big movie screen) of conveying the awe and grand scale of the final frontier.

And I admire the fact that not a single phaser is fired throughout the entire movie. It was a bold experiment never to be repeated, sadly...

PS: Just saw STID again tonight in 2D tonight. It looked better without the 3D IMO. Less visually jumbled; the action looked more coherent.

And despite the fact that I loved Cumberbatch's villain (I just hate calling him Khan), my ranking stands....

Edited by Sehlat Vie

1. Star Trek: First Contact.

2. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

3. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

4. Star Trek: Generations.

5. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

6. Star Trek: Nemesis.

7. Star Trek: Insurrection.

8. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.

9. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

10. Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Not that I hate any of these films, I like them all for different reasons, but this is how they come out on my list.

1. Star Trek: First Contact.

2. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

3. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

4. Star Trek: Generations.

5. Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

6. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

7. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.

8. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

9. Star Trek: Nemesis.

10. Star Trek: Insurrection.

11. ST09.

Decided to update my listings though I wonder what I was drinking/taking at the time given I had TMP at the bottom of the pile. Meh, maybe I've gotten a little older and appreciated it more in light of the tripe we get fed these days and we'll not likely see anything like it again in a world where the average attention span which makes my own (that bordering on that of a brain damaged gnat) seem immense by comparison.

ST09's only on the list by dint of the fact I wasted £7 to go watch it when it was out, a luxury I won't afford to the train wreck that's spawned since then.

For me, I would rank the films roughly in this order, from worst to best:

11. The Motion Picture

10. 2009

9. Nemesis

8. The Search for Spock

7. Generations

6. The Final Frontier

5. Insurrection

4. The Voyage Home

2. The Wrath of Khan

1. First Contact

I'm not sure it's fair of me to do this since I've seen some of the early films hundreds of times and the recent ones only once (or twice in the case of ST:09). Nevertheless, I could tentatively rank the full list now as follows:

From worst to best:

12. The Motion Picture

11. 2009

10. Nemesis

9. The Search for Spock

8. Generations

7. Into Darkness

6. The Final Frontier

5. Insurrection

4. The Voyage Home

2. The Wrath of Khan

1. First Contact

I must stress however that this is very much a provisional ranking and will almost certainly change after I have seen STID again.

best to worst

1. Wrath of Khan

2. The Voyage Home

4. The Search for Spock

5. First Contact

6. Insurrection

7. The Final Frontier

8. Generations

9. Nemesis

10. The Motion Picture (in a state of flux at the moment, a sort of reappraisal)

11. Star Trek XI

12. Star Trek XII

1. Wrath of Kahn.

2. The Undiscovered Country

3. The Voyage Home

4. First Contact

5. The Final Frontier

6. Nemesis

7. The Search for Spock

8. Star Trek XII

9. Generations

10. Insurrection

11. The Motion Picture

12. Star Trek '09

Now that the new film is out:

My All-Time Absolute Favorites:

The Motion Picture

The Final Frontier

First Contact

Still Love 'Em:

The Search For Spock

The Undiscovered Country

The Voyage Home

The Wrath Of Khan

Nemesis

Generations

Insurrection

In My Trash Bin:

Star Trek: The Star Trek

Star Trek: Into Darkness

Alright, I thought I wouldn't change my mind on this, but again; I have.

I'm changing my ST movie rankings one more (and hopefully final) time:

1. Wrath of Khan

2. ST09

4. First Contact

5. The Voyage Home

6. The Motion Picture

7. Generations (a sentimental favorite; hard to defend)

8. Search for Spock

9. Into Darkness

10. The Final Frontier

11. Nemesis

12. Insurrection

The more I think about STID, the less and less I like it. Its the exact opposite reaction I had when I saw ST09 (which grew on me the more I saw it).

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Ouch, Final Frontier, Nemesis, and Insurrection after STID? Actually, I don't exactly blame you...

Ouch, Final Frontier, Nemesis, and Insurrection after STID? Actually, I don't exactly blame you...

I hate to keep slamming STID, but upon the 2nd viewing the magic definitely wore off and the flaws of the movie (some of which I noted the first time I saw it) are even more glaringly obvious in 2D. As it is, I think of it as a decent popcorn movie and not much more. I still love ST09 (and I've seen it a million times, so help me) and it still works. I just can't say the same for its sequel....

It's hard to say.

TWOK,TUC,FC would be my top 3 in that order. TFF and Ins would be in a fierce battle for last place, and Ins probably wins most of the time.

Surprisingly, maybe, TMP is probably a steady 4th. I know folks have problems with the pacing and all, but, at least it slipped in before the super villain with a badass ship/weapon formula took over and every movie tried to replicate TWOK. I know my first three are in that category, but I think they had enough originality in them to warrant it, especially the introduction of the Borg queen. Still love those gorgeous special effects, even if the Ent is in darkness most of the time. I don't think IILM ever shot that miniature to its fullest potential, I know they they did a wrecking job on Olsen's paintwork on the miniature.

TSFS/TVH I'd lump together.

The rest in any order, well, actually, maybe Nem beats Gen when I think about it.

ST09, I'm not including, although I had a lot of good will towards it, and actually quite enjoyed it as a reboot, STID has completely undermined said rehash, I mean, reboot.

1. The Wrath of Khan (II)

2. The Undiscovered Country (VI)

3. First Contact (VIII)

4. The Voyage Home (IV)

5. The Search for Spock (III)

6. Generations (VII)

7. The Motion Picture (I)

8. Nemesis (X)

9. Insurrection (IX)

10. The Final Frontier (V)

11. Into Darkness

12. Star Trek (2009)

I'm not quite sure how to feel about the new movies. I don't really think they are bad, but I didn't really like them even if they had their moments.

Edited by Kira Nerys

In now particular order within the catagories

Favorite Movies (These best capture what the show is about)

ST 6 The Undiscovered Country

ST Insurrection

ST 4 The Voyage Home

ST 2 The Wrath of Khan

Good Movies (Still love em not my favorites)

ST III The Search for Spock

ST First Contact

ST Generations

LESS THAN good...

ST The Motion(less) Picture

ST Generations

ST (2009) Sorry this movie misses the point of trek... JJ Abrams showes he is a Star Wars fan not a Star Trek Fan

WORST (Can we make a Star Trek movie that is NOT A bad Wrath of Khan Remake)

ST Nemesis

ST Into Darkness

My favorites

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Star Trek : The Motion PIcture

Star Trek : Insurrection

My sometimes watches started with the most often

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Star Trek : Generations

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

My Rarely Watched starting with most often

Star Trek First Contact

Star Trek Nemesis

On my shelf forgotten, only watched to nitpick the hell out of

Star Trek (2009)

Will buy to nitpick the crap out of, but watch it more than star trek 2009

Star Trek Into Darkness

In now particular order within the catagories

Favorite Movies (These best capture what the show is about)

ST 6 The Undiscovered Country

ST Insurrection

ST 4 The Voyage Home

ST 2 The Wrath of Khan

Good Movies (Still love em not my favorites)

ST III The Search for Spock

ST First Contact

ST Generations

LESS THAN good...

ST The Motion(less) Picture

ST Generations

ST (2009) Sorry this movie misses the point of trek... JJ Abrams showes he is a Star Wars fan not a Star Trek Fan

WORST (Can we make a Star Trek movie that is NOT A bad Wrath of Khan Remake)

ST Nemesis

ST Into Darkness

Like your categorization system!

Let me see if I can do something like it:

Favorite ST movies; good movies as well as good Star Trek:

* The Wrath of Khan (sadly, it's also become an overused template for one-note revenge stories, but it's still the best)

* The Undiscovered Country (this one often rotates with WOK as my all-time favorite; kudos Nick Meyer)

* The Voyage Home (a fun romp, and a loving nod to the time travel episodes of TOS)

* First Contact (a wonderfully dark turn for the ST movies, and the unquestionable BEST of the NG movies).

ST movies that I still enjoy, though for less-than-obvious reasons:

* The Motion Picture (the only ST movie that genuinely captures the awe and majesty of deep space; more "2001" than ST at times, but awe-inspiring nevertheless)

* ST09 (much reviled, but I enjoy seeing the characters come together and the origins of both Spock & Kirk; the plot/villain are cliched, but the character stuff is a lot of fun and I like the new actors; they are mindful, but not slavish to the originals).

* Generations (I loved the introspective nature of this one; the Nexus was a nice throwback to TOS' "The Cage". I also thought Kirk's final moments were smaller and more poignant, rather than blandly epic, as you'd expect).

* The Search for Spock (almost more of a family reunion than a scifi movie; despite its cheesy production value at times, this one illustrates one of the best things about TOS: the family of characters banding together to save one of their own.

ST movies that weren't so hot for me:

* The Final Frontier (a hot mess; basically a bigger budget "Way To Eden" and just as anticlimactic; you won't find God in space... a dopey concept; directly at odds with the more secular universe of ST. The characters are reduced to cartoon parodies of themselves).

* Nemesis (potentially interesting idea, undone by poor casting and a dull, lifeless screenplay; has a decent space battle, but not much else. A "Wrath of Khan" wannabe)

* Into Darkness (speaking of WOK wannabes... this one takes the cake [and s#!ts all over it]. A lazy, cut and paste screenplay and meaningless action make this one the ultimate wasted opportunity.... and to think it took FOUR LONG years to concoct).

* Insurrection (boring, boring, boring. This episode wouldn't even make a TNG top 25 list, let alone a decent movie. Utterly uninspiring).

Edited by Sehlat Vie

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

2. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

3. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

4. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

5. Star Trek: The Motion Picture

6. Star Trek: Generations

7. Star Trek: First Contact

8. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

9. Star Trek: Insurrection

10. Star Trek: Nemesis

I always get confused with “best” and “favorite” – ranking them suggests which ones are your favorite. I mean, I think that ST: TMP is probably a better movie than Star Trek III, but I can’t help really liking Star Trek III, hence it’s placing here. And First Contact is easily, far and away a better movie than Generations, which is a mess, but again, I have extremely fond memories of Generations, which got me at a time of life when I needed some comfort from old friends, and Generations supplied that. I guess my list would be more like this if I was talking about straightforward successful movie making, at least to my tastes:

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

2. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

3. Star Trek: The Motion Picture

4. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

5. Star Trek: First Contact

6. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

7. Star Trek: Generations

8. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

10. Star Trek: Nemesis

Oh, there are two other Star Trek movies…? Yeah, the alternate universe ones. OK:

1. Star Trek 2009

2. Into Darkness

I really liked the first one. I didn’t like the second much at all.

Edited by Robin Bland

Oh, there are two other Star Trek movies…? Yeah, the alternate universe ones. OK:

1. Star Trek 2009

2. Into Darkness

Yay! Another one like me. I thought I was the only way who felt split on NuTrek. I really enjoyed the first one, but the 2nd one just kind of fell apart all over the place...

1. Star Trek 2009

2. Into Darkness

Yay! Another one like me. I thought I was the only way who felt split on NuTrek. I really enjoyed the first one, but the 2nd one just kind of fell apart all over the place...

It really did - in striving to be postmodern and clever, it came across as garbled and without any direction of its own. And yet, this came after ST09, which was hugely entertaining and did something I thought was impossible at the time by taking those characters and giving them new leases of life through new actors. It was reinvigorating and I really looked forward to the second outing - and they blew it. They didn't only blow it, they alienated many old fans like me who they'd won over first time around. Into Darkness was sort of what I feared the first one would be - a horrible riff on ST tropes with none of the spirit and heart of the original, none of the innate comprehension of Star Trek's essential, uncynical honesty. I'm not saying it shouldn't tackle modern topics in an allegorical way - that's what it does best - but so many of the underlying themes that make Star Trek what it is were missing from that second JJ movie.

That said, there's a really, really interesting interview with Robert Orci over on the Mission Log Podcast. He talks about a lot of the decisions that were made during the writing process, how he held out against certain ones that were made, why they were made, etc. It's pretty disarming in its honesty and he comes across really well. Almost makes me want to see it again... (almost)...

Edited by Robin Bland

To me, it was so ironic that ST09 tried so hard to be so careful in setting up a reboot WITHIN continuity (a trick that even I wouldn't have thought was possible). I went into ST09 with a somewhat closed mind; I really didn't like the idea of a new cast 'replacing' my iconic actors. But by the end of the movie, I found myself to be completely won over.

So, I went into STID expecting to feel that same satisfaction (even if I found the Khan rumors a bit disturbing) and I had an almost precisely opposite experience than I did with ST09.

The new screenplay was lazy; many bad choices were made. There was a distinct lack of fun or real entertainment value in STID. With ST09 I was a bit caught up in both the audacity and fun of the movie; in STID, I just felt the nervousness of the writers. I could almost feel them sweating to get through the material. The result was a heavier, clunkier movie with a script full of clunky dialogue, rehashes of both TWOK & ST09 itself, and just plain lazy plotting.

And even though both movies suffer with 'style over substance' syndrome, I didn't feel it in the first movie quite as much as I did with this one. STID used style to putty over its myriad plot shortcomings; with pacing so frantic. It's like the bar band playing a loud rock number so you won't notice the watered down liquor being served. When you look at STID with any kind of logic applied to it, it just falls apart like wet tissue paper...

My ranking:

1. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

2. Star Trek: First Contact

3. Star Trek III: The Search For Spock

4. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

5. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

6. Star Trek: Generations

7. Star Trek: The Motion Picture

8. Star Trek: Nemesis

10.Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Edited by Fish1941

My ranking (1. being my favorite and 10. being the one I like least):

1. joint between The Voyage Home and The Undiscovered Country (really can't decide)

3. ST09

4. First Contact

5. The Wrath of Khan

6. STID

7. The Search for Spock

8. Generations

9. The Final Frontier

10. Insurrection

11. The Motion Picture

12. Nemesis

I'd say #1-#5 are all really good, #6-#8 are in the "average but enjoyable" category, and #9-#12 are admittedly really bad movies (which doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching them sometimes -- sometimes *just because* they are so bad).

Objectively speaking, I'd say The Motion Picture probably deserves a better spot and The Final Frontier a worse one. TMP is IMO not a bad sf movie, but the movie that captures the dynamics of the series least (all characters are totally interchangeable with the possible exception of Spock) and is totally boring. Exactly the oppose is TFF, which is just an abomination as a movie on the level of "Spock's Brain", but for a admirer and fan of the old trio, the Kirk/Spock/McCoy scenes kind of save it.

I like Abrams' approach, but I see how many old fans don't like it, much like TNG caused much controversy among the TOS fans when it was new. But I enjoy the new movies, although they'll probably never have the special place in my heart the old movies have, and as I have always been more a fan of the Star Trek tv series than of the movies, I feel Star Trek will never really be back until there is a new tv series. IMO, it's just better on the small screen than on the big.

I go back and forth on some of these, but....Here's my list today.

1. Generations

2. Wrath of Khan

3. Undiscovered Country

4. Motion Picture (extended cut)

5. Voyage Home

6. Search for Spock

7. First Contact

8. Star Trek 2009

9. Nemesis (with the seatbelt scene added?)

10. Star Trek Into Darkness

11. Insurrection

12. Final Frontier

Obviously I'm one of the few freaks who loves Generations.

But probably quite puzzling is my lack of enjoyment when it comes to First Contact. Perhaps my ranking on that one is too harsh, and maybe it should move up a few notches, but there are some things that genuinely bother me about it. First, the heavy drinking, rocking, dancing Cochran character I found to be highly annoying. I just couldn't really stand him, and didn't find him amusing. Second, I felt like the screenplay took Picard a little bit out of character. They were obviously trying to up the intensity, but the Picard as Captain Ahab thing didn't work for me. Aside from that, there are a lot of things I like about the movie, and the fx are obviously top-notch.

Edited by benbess

I go back and forth on some of these, but....Here's my list today.

1. Generations

2. Wrath of Khan

3. Undiscovered Country

4. Motion Picture (extended cut)

5. Voyage Home

6. Search for Spock

7. First Contact

8. Star Trek 2009

9. Nemesis (with the seatbelt scene added?)

10. Star Trek Into Darkness

11. Insurrection

12. Final Frontier

Obviously I'm one of the few freaks who loves Generations.

You're not alone, fellow freak... I think you, Gus and I are it's only defenders. :laugh::thumbup:

And I'm starting to think (after revising my favorites list twice already) that ranking them in numerical order is too... unquantifiable.

There are days when I love TUC best (as in, it's my current favorite on my profile page; recently dethroning TWOK), other days I love TMP or GEN best.

There are days when FC and TVH slug it out for third and fourth places....

It all depends on what mood I'm in, really; hell, there are days when popping in STV seems like a perfectly good idea (till I get to the Paradise City stuff, then comes the Fast Forward/Chapter Skip button...).

The only rankings that stay consistent for me are my bottom place entries.

Those haven't changed:

STID

NEM

and as always, at my list's very bottom, is INS.

I tried watching INS again recently and I couldn't even make it past the hour mark anymore.

I officially designate it as my DVD library's space filler.

And the only reason it ranks below NEM is that NEM, despite its stupidity, at LEAST tried to entertain me a little bit (saucer ramming bit, Romulans, etc). INS is just so completely boring, it's like taking a heavy sedative...

Between the Planet of the California Hippies (yes, truly imaginative 'aliens' there, people) and the lackluster CGI FX and the 'big guffaw' moments such as Picard doing a mambo (ah yes, because a man over 50 dancing and actually feeling good is just soooo hi-larious, right??) or Beverly and Troi having an insightful talk about 'bewbs', and Data seemingly overdosing on stupid pills and going back to his 1.0 version self for some reason. And production-value wise? It feels like a bad, forgotten episode of S7 (one of the worst seasons, IMO). It has no 'motion-picture' look or feel to it at all....

I'd also rank STID lower if it weren't such a beautifully made movie. Seriously, its production value alone keeps it hovering above the bottom two.

I pop it in as eye candy sometimes. That is its only function, because if I start listening to it, I get outraged at how dumb a movie it truly is. I feel suckered...

But for those reasons, as far as I'm concerned? INS will remain firmly at the bottom of the list for me (unless the next movie is even worse than STID...)

You're not alone, fellow freak... I think you, Gus and I are it's only defenders. :laugh::thumbup:

No... I'm also very fond of Generations! I know all the arguments, all the flaws, I know it's a mess... but, for all that, it occupies a special position in my heart. One of my most rewatched Trek movies, in fact!