Sign in to follow this  
Abena

Who would you want to be your Captain?

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Highly doubt it. He's not that stupid.

So...no one is allowed to be silly now? :rolleyes:

And please...re-watch ToS. Kirk effed everything female thatw asn't tied down. I wouldn't put it past him to try and get it on with a female drone if he thought he could get away with it.

Agreed. Kirk would have definetely have assimilated the queen.

And I also sincerely doubt Jean-Luc willingly allowed the Borg to assimilate him and just "went along" with it. :vulcan:

I'm not saying that he did. It's just that Picard can't fight himself out of a situation like Kirk. I can see Kirk defeating the drones with his classic Kirk-fu. By the way, have we seen Picard use violence on anyone ever?

Of course we have. He hits that terrorist guy in "The High Ground". Attacks him right there on the bridge. Then there were the dozens of scenes in "Starship Mine" when he fought the guys who wanted to steal that substance whose name escapes me now. He shoots at one of them with an arrow, even.

And so on and so on. He even shoots himself with a phaser in "Time Squared". ;)

I can just see Kirk kicking empty air and ripping his shirt into pieces while the Borg assimilate him, agreed. Not that it will do any good, but it would at least look funny...

Highly doubt it. He's not that stupid.

So...no one is allowed to be silly now? :rolleyes:

And please...re-watch ToS. Kirk effed everything female thatw asn't tied down. I wouldn't put it past him to try and get it on with a female drone if he thought he could get away with it.

Oh I think the silliness is pretty well covered.

I'd dearly love to re-watch TOS if I had the means. Someone can stump up the cash if they like. :)

You can watch the episodes for free on hulu or youtube, actually.

I believe Kirk *is* that stupid. He tries to have sex with about every female he crosses paths with. It wouldn't be a surprise at all if he tried to 'do' a drone.

Seriously, Ael is right - it IS a common TOS plot device to have Kirk try and seduce the female enemy so that he can get away or free his ship or whatever. ;) Or that the female enemies throw themselves at him at some point. Literally. ;)

Agreed. Kirk would have definetely have assimilated the queen.

And I also sincerely doubt Jean-Luc willingly allowed the Borg to assimilate him and just "went along" with it. :vulcan:

I'm not saying that he did. It's just that Picard can't fight himself out of a situation like Kirk. I can see Kirk defeating the drones with his classic Kirk-fu. By the way, have we seen Picard use violence on anyone ever?

Picard fights when he needs to, you obviously haven't seen much of him. Need I remind you of him fighting Soran in Generations? Or the Borg in First Contact... whom he fights ALONE after evacuating the rest of the crew? Also, in Tapestry him using violence on someone gets him stabbed through the heart! It's just that he chooses to only do it when he NEEDS to, and does so wisely.

Also, against the Borg, he fought through the collective influence and voices enough to give Data the vital clue as to how send the Borg to sleep, that sounds like fighting his way out of a situation to me. :vulcan:

Don't mistake a reluctance for physical violence and a preference for a diplomatic solution for an inability to fight, or some sort of weakness. He wasn't Kirk, and in this aspect, that is most definitely a good thing.

EDIT: just seen the examples given above by Mrs Picard, who is a far higher authority than myself on this one. Just add these to her list. It may not be as long as a list for Sisko or Kirk, but it proves he can do violence and hand-to-hand combat when he needs to. It's definitely more effective than Kirk-Fu in any case in that he doesn't have to resort to it in every situation.

Edited by DaxFanDS9

Seriously, Ael is right - it IS a common TOS plot device to have Kirk try and seduce the female enemy so that he can get away or free his ship or whatever. ;) Or that the female enemies throw themselves at him at some point. Literally. ;)

Isn't that a typical 60's plot device anyway?

I picked Picard ... my chances of survival are probably higher under his command.

Kirk must have gone through enough redshirts to fully staff his Enterprise, Sisko seemed to attract trouble. Wars with the Klingons and Dominion were both started because of actions he took.

Janeway ... well I'd be scrubbing plasma conduits the whole journey home after calling her every name under the sun for blowing up our way home. :giggle:

Archer? Meh. :confused:

It's definitely more effective than Kirk-Fu in any case in that he doesn't have to resort to it in every situation.

Besides Kirk-Fu, Kirk has other powers at his command, such as the ability to talk a computer to death, which I believe he would have used on the Borg if he encountered them. (I have to say, the simplistic solutions to problems in TOS are one of the factors that make it endearing.)

Kirk, got the determination to get home no matter what. A disdain for the no-win scenario would ensure that if you're going to go, you go down fighting. It's either you or them. Get the crew working to a certain kind of ingenuity. Redshirt losses might actually decline with Kirk's determination to keep his crew intact and to lose as little as possible. He'd be like Ransom for his dedication but not trip into the breaking the Prime Directive. The Directive'll get bent to a point but personally, I'll take Kirk over anyone else.

Remind me. How many redshirts died in TOS?

It's definitely more effective than Kirk-Fu in any case in that he doesn't have to resort to it in every situation.

Besides Kirk-Fu, Kirk has other powers at his command, such as the ability to talk a computer to death, which I believe he would have used on the Borg if he encountered them. (I have to say, the simplistic solutions to problems in TOS are one of the factors that make it endearing.)

I'm sure they'd just bring in Seven Of Nine to put an end to that idea... they're well aware of Kirk's weaknesses. :P

Kirk, got the determination to get home no matter what. A disdain for the no-win scenario would ensure that if you're going to go, you go down fighting. It's either you or them. Get the crew working to a certain kind of ingenuity. Redshirt losses might actually decline with Kirk's determination to keep his crew intact and to lose as little as possible. He'd be like Ransom for his dedication but not trip into the breaking the Prime Directive. The Directive'll get bent to a point but personally, I'll take Kirk over anyone else.

This :P

and how many deaths did Kirk regret? I'm sure I remember some episodes.

The weight of command upon his shoulders and all that. How many people did Voyager lose in its time. Then again Voyager seemed to lose a lot and then mysteriously have more crew.

Kirk's womanising aside and apparent overuse of fighting moves aside (and redshirts), you don't know what happens on the rest of those days. There's presumably a day-to-day life outside of it and I imagine Kirk isn't like John F. Kennedy where he HAS to have sex daily or at best a different woman a week. Redshirts don't die everyday and Kirk's leg doesn't twitch in his Kirk-fu. Personally I'd stick with Kirk. He's a frontier captain and as I misinterpreted the question as getting home [from the Delta Quadrant] that's who I'd prefer.

:)

That. :)

The weight of command upon his shoulders and all that. How many people did Voyager lose in its time. Then again Voyager seemed to lose a lot and then mysteriously have more crew.

The original number was about 150. A lot died, but the number remained similar to what was originally stated because of the addition of the Maquis, Kes, Neelix and Seven

Regretting deaths doesn't bring them back.

Well, they were alone in uncharted territory.

Kirk's womanising aside and apparent overuse of fighting moves aside (and redshirts), you don't know what happens on the rest of those days. There's presumably a day-to-day life outside of it and I imagine Kirk isn't like John F. Kennedy where he HAS to have sex daily or at best a different woman a week. Redshirts don't die everyday and Kirk's leg doesn't twitch in his Kirk-fu. Personally I'd stick with Kirk. He's a frontier captain and as I misinterpreted the question as getting home [from the Delta Quadrant] that's who I'd prefer.

:)

Janeway seemed to regret everything. After all, wasn't that the very reason her future self went back in time in Endgame, to try and prevent deaths?

I personally have no problem believing Kirk was a sex-fiend ala Quagmire from Family Guy on his off days, but that's just an opinion.

I'm usually wary about forming opinions based on a cartoon programme, but that's just me.

Sure Janeway regretted deaths, I knew that much. Kirk did as well, they might not bring them back but it's a small thing to counter the beliefs that Kirk just shredded off redshirts as you please.

Sure Janeway regretted deaths, I knew that much. Kirk did as well, they might not bring them back but it's a small thing to counter the beliefs that Kirk just shredded off redshirts as you please.

But...that is basically what Kirk did. Never do I see him really regret a redshirt death. He really comes across in the series as 'who cares' this is what redshirts are for.

I'm usually wary about forming opinions based on a cartoon programme, but that's just me.

I made a comparison to a character in a cartoon series, not formed an opinion based on it. My judgment is based on viewing the original series and the 8 movies that have featured Captain Kirk and in my opinion, he fits the comparison... ;)

Sisko didn't take crew deaths lightly, hence the casualty lists.

Yes, we see him on numerous occasions during the war reading those lists and showing quite obvious reactions, often along with Admiral Ross.

Edited by DaxFanDS9

I think Sisko probably showed the most regret/pain at seeing the death of crew.

It bothered him so badly it prompted him to turn rogue and frame the Dominion in order to get the Romulans into the war and on the allies side.

I would like to have Spock be my captain as well. Although, I am not sure if I would choose him over Sisko. Out of the non-captain choices, I would also wouldn't mind if Data were my leader.

I would like to have Spock be my captain as well. Although, I am not sure if I would choose him over Sisko. Out of the non-captain choices, I would also wouldn't mind if Data were my leader.

I think Data and Spock would be good captains too.

Ooooh forgot that Spock and Scotty held the rank of Captain too!!! :confused: My choice would probably still be Sisko though.

Sign in to follow this