Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frontier

The Man of Steel - Next Superman Movie

58 posts in this topic

I'm beginning to think he's name-only involved. The casting just sounds terrible, as does the characters. We really need to see Zod again? We can't have Braniac or MEtallo as the main baddie in a movie?

First shot of Henry Cavill as Superman.

man-of-steel-superman-cavill.jpeg

Okay, let me put on my snarking glasses.... Ah, there we are! Okay! <scrutinize mode activated>

- Physically speaking, he definitely looks the part. Henry Cavill's a big man with a square jaw and a killer look. If it weren't for the creepy pedo-stare, I'd gladly say, "Hey, that's Superman." Instead, I get a very Bizzaro feel. :confused:

- Next, the suit. Why must the suit be textured? Is that Hollywood's latest craze or something? First, the suit in Superman Returns was fully embossed with little mini 'S' shields all over. Now he's a damned lizard! The cape looks incredible, however. Big, billowy, layered and looking like it's made from satin or suede. I approve greatly on that. The gauntlets are a nice touch, as well, and aren't really gauntlets, per se; they're just part of the sleeves. I like how the 'S' shield is large and in-your-face again. It was pathetically small in Returns and looked downright wimpy, like he was scared to say that he was Superman. The boots are the classic Supes boots, glad those were kept the same. I can't say much for his belt or shorts, as they're shrouded in darkness.

- Finally, Zach Snyder obviously has forgotten to take his 65% de-saturization filter off the camera lens. AGAIN. Seriously, this guy has a de-saturization fetish that borderlines on creepy. Also, since Chris Nolan is collaborating with Snyder on this one, we're obviously gonna get a grittier, meaner Superman. Is this what I want? No, not at all. Superman Returns may have been a pretty lousy movie, but it felt like Superman in some parts, at least. Is this what other fans want? Some, yes, and some, no. I can't answer for the others, but as for myself... this photo looks like Superman. But I know it probably won't be the final product. We're gonna get Zach Snyder's trademark unnecessary slow-motion and misogyny. It worked in Watchmen because his style suited the story, but it doesn't suit Superman. :glare:

I did some color fixes.

supermanenhanced.jpg

First thing to remember is this is a first-look promo photo, released for the sole purpose of making sure our first glimpse of the new suit wasn't from 300 yards away with a zoom-lens paparazzi spy-shot photo. Which is something I said they should do moons ago and am glad they listened to me!

I expect we'll get better photos down the line that will clarify some points.

I've got to say, this film as a whole based on casting had me very leary.

But I do like what I'm seeing generally enough of things here and there thus far.

The texture-pattern stuff, yes, clearly is a Hollywood rage thing. I think for a very long time they didn't have the budgets to do that sort of thing, and now in the past 5 years they do, and so they are all doing it for said purpose. I like it, mostly.

This isn't my ideal suit; but at least it's not this...

nickcage.jpg

If you're reaction to that photo is :ohmy: "WTF?" let me fill you in.

In 1997, Tim Burton was hired to produce a reboot of Superman. Nicolas Cage was at the peak of his action career at the time, and a well-known Superman fan, so Burton gave him the role of his dreams. He proceeded to craft a story and script full of more bull$#!t than you could ever imagine. Like Superman's powers coming from the super-suit, which by the way was sentient, and lived in a garbage can.

No. I'm not making that up. I'm dead serious.

Obviously, said film never happened. The suits at WB woke up, remember "Batman Returns" and Danny DeVito eating fish and bleeding black blood, and said "you know what... no." It then took them 9 years to eventually get to the point of "Superman Returns"... which was just a dumb idea from the get-go.

My point?

Snyder can do his worst. And it will still be leaps and bounds ahead of what Burton would have done.

Only time will tell if this film will be good or bad.

I'm cautious and yet hopeful.

Of the new suit? Not what I'd have done; but it could be far worse.

I know the entire story behind Tim Burton's Superman. I also know all about Kevin Smith's so-called "treatment" and J.J. Abrams' abomination. *shudders*

And, hey! Batman Returns was fantastic! :thumbup:

Batman Returns had one singular good moment; the bat-signal being lit, followed by the shot of Bruce Wayne looking up at the light streaming into his window.

The entire rest of that film sucked donkey balls. :laugh:

I honestly don't know what universe you're living in, dude. :giggle:

The best Batman films will always be the Burton and Nolan ones. And maybe the '66 Adam West one, just for the sheer fun of it.

Suit details/close-ups courtesy of spy shots! He's not wearing the cape but they're between takes and the one photo shows where it's clearly meant to be fastened during filming.

cavill9yqnfrvqj.jpg

cavill1.jpg

29964210150276215858882.jpg

http://www.sugargrove60554.com/show_image.php?id=800&scalesize=0&nocount=y

http://www.sugargrove60554.com/show_image.php?id=789&scalesize=0&nocount=y

http://www.sugargrove60554.com/show_image.php?id=793&scalesize=0&nocount=y

Okay... so... he's a football. I mean, he's textured like a football. Dear god, someone please put some red undies on the man and hold 'em up with an offensively yellow-colored belt.

LOL

You sound like a fan-boy, Gary. :giggle:

Honestly, I like it.

It's not what I would have done, but it's certainly not a re-hash of the same old thing again.

It looks more alien, which is appropriate for Supes.

And as far as the red undies... unless they're trunks rather than glorified tighty-whities, he shouldn't have them anywho, lol.

I got really pessimistic due to the casting after Cavill, but now I'm getting hopeful again by the costumes we've seen and frankly, by the fact that Cavill looks like he could snap Brandon Routh. Body-mass wise, he looks more the part than Chris Reeve ever did -- though Reeve looked the part in every other way imaginable.

And therein lies the problem: It's inevitable to talk about this without comparing it to Christopher Reeves.

I have noticed that when I first saw the pic the last time I was in this thread lol Sounds like the director didn't do his research carefully.

Also, do you think the cape is way too long...I don't think it was that long, right? Or it just looks longer when he was bending down on knees in that pic up there?

Edited by JayTheTrekkie

The cape can be as long as it's designed to be. Just as long as he has a cape, that's the main point. And costume design can't make up for odd casting choices. The guy they got to play General Zod will never look threatening. He looks completely unthreatening, and no muscle suit can fix that.

The cape can be as long as it's designed to be. Just as long as he has a cape, that's the main point. And costume design can't make up for odd casting choices. The guy they got to play General Zod will never look threatening. He looks completely unthreatening, and no muscle suit can fix that.

He looks like someone laid him on his face too often as an infant and maybe even stomped on such... :ohmy: :ohmy: :giggle:

I'm sorry, I had to say it! Michael Shannon is one of the weirdest looking actors ever!

Hmm Zack Snyder directing... let's hope this is more like Watchmen than SuckerPunch then...

Not entirely convinced about the new suit, reminds me more of Venom in Spiderman 3 somehow.

I didn't think Superman Returns was all that bad, but it didn't really grab me as a particularly good movie either. Thought Routh as Superman was a good piece of casting though, he had a sorta Reeve look and air about him.

Edited by DaxFanDS9

I think at this point they need to distance themselves from the Reeve legacy. They'll never be able to duplicate it, and though he defined the character for a generation, we're kind of past said generation now and it's time to re-define.

I'm nervous as hell over Snyder and this reboot, I am.

It is probably a better option than Tim Burton though, going by that photo above :laugh:

That probably would have sucked worse than that remake of Planet Of The Apes...

I hate Tim Burton with a passion, so I'm the last person who would argue for him to be the best choice of anything.

I liked 2 or 3 of his movies when I was a little kid, but once I was old enough to understand the difference between something being visually stimulating and being good? Yeah, that stopped...

mans.jpg

I just stopped caring. Apparently there's a Man of Steel teaser attached to The Dark Knight Rises.

You should see the SDCC teaser. It's far, far superior. New, decent quality copies are floating around now...

Tiny gif I made from one 2-second part of such...

tumblr_m7nzzloJKE1r2p3x5o1_250.gif

I also hate Tim Burton with a passion, Frontier. The man has yet to make a good movie in my opinion. He is crazy.

But I never hated someone so much as Joel Schumacher. The man almost destroyed the Batman franchise.

There is no bigger travesty in the world bigger than BATMAN AND ROBIN. And lets not forget than Tim Burton was a producer in the Schumacher Batman movies. Duh. Makes sense, huh ?

Gus

I think Tim Burton has made some great movies, but he's best when he's not playing in someone else's sandbox, like the situation with the Batman movies (and the disastrous Planet of the Apes remake in 2001).

I think that Ed Wood and Edward Scissorhands are his twin masterpieces. Beetlejuice was a lot of fun too.

His later stuff has been largely lackluster, with Big Fish and Frankenweenie being two of his better recent movies, but nowhere near the level of his heyday in the '90s.

I think Burton and Batman were kind of an ill-fit, to be honest; I liked the first movie, but the sequels became increasingly (frustratingly) obtuse and pointless.

Chris Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy is the Batman I'd always hoped for in my mind's eye. Right on the money in every way; from the '70s gritty tone to the 'real world' look of the costumes.

They are crime-dramas right up there with Goodfellas, Heat and the Godfather saga.

I cant stand Tim Burton as a direcor.His movies aretoo much out there to me. His Batman looked cheap.

Chris Nolan on the other hand is the man. He delivered a incredible trilogy;

Gus

I cant stand Tim Burton as a direcor.His movies aretoo much out there to me. His Batman looked cheap.

Chris Nolan on the other hand is the man. He delivered a incredible trilogy;

Gus

I agree that Burton is not for every taste... but I still think Ed Wood and Edward Scissorhands were both brilliant.

And "The Nightmare Before Christmas" (which Burton co-wrote) is my favorite Disney movie of all time...

Even if one doesn't like his movies (and again; they're not universal in their appeal), one recognizes a Burton movie on sight. They're very distinctive...

So over the weekend, I decided to watch the four Superman movies that are most relevant to me--the first one, Superman II, the Donner Cut, and Man of Steel.

All of them had flaws, but ultimately, the Reeve movies were far superior for various reasons.

The Donner cut was better than I remembered, though I think I would choose the Lester cut with a gun to my head.

But the Lester cut had the advantage of being a finished movie. Because of that, the Lester cut made much better use of the music.

It's amazing how music affects a movie but it does.

Watching them back to back, and then watching Man of Steel for the first time since I saw it in the theater, and I really got a sense of what Man of Steel did right and wrong.

Superman is at his best when you feel for him. His character is supposed to be a personification of good. His actions should inspire people to be better people.

You may not relate to him, but you like him.

Superman has your back.

That's how it felt with Reeve.

There was only one portion of Man of Steel where I felt that way about Cavill, and that was the scene where the Kryptonians were threatening Martha, and Superman sweeps in and starts pounding Zod to defend his mom. Anyone can relate to that.

Cavill's performance wasn't that spectacular. He LOOKED the part, but didn't act the part.

Superman isn't a reluctant hero. He's a hero, period.

People don't fear Superman, they cheer him on.

I noticed something that may not seem significant about Cavill's performance, but thinking about it, it's actually a big deal.

Cavill never smiled.

Superman smiles.

He's happy.

He does what he does because he cares, and when he does something for someone, he's happy about it.

Even in the most dire situation, Reeve was warm.

In the battle over Metropolis in Superman II, the needle of the Empire State Building dislodged. It was about to crush a woman and her baby. Superman stops mid battle, catches it, saves the woman, and looks back and smiles at her.

Cavill only portrayed an angry, bitter man, and even though this angry, bitter, man had his heart in the right place, and laid it all on the line for people, and even though he was a hero and was a good man, he never smiled. He didn't come off as warm.

That killed his likeability.

And the writing of Jonathan Kent was such a waste of Kevin Costner, who was so well cast in that role.

Would someone have the fears Jonathan would have? Sure. But that's not in character with Jonathan Kent. A man like that could raise a good man, but he couldn't raise Superman.

One of the reasons Superman became the hero he became was due to his adoptive father, who was a hero to the hero.

Jonathan and Martha were amazing individuals, who managed to teach Clark humility, and guide him on the path that would make him the world's greatest hero.

This version of Jonathan was nothing like that.

I still can't get over when Clark asked Jonathan if he should have let a busload of kids die, Jonathan said, "maybe."

Again, that's a reaction that a concerned parent MAY have, but nothing like the character of Jonathan Kent. And if there was ever an exception to the don't use your power rule, even some of the most fearful parents would not want to let a busload of kids die.

Damn the consequences.

The fact that Clark did what he did and concealed it that well at that age should have had Jonathan beaming with pride.

Comparing his death in Man of Steel to Superman the Movie, and you see the stark differences.

Glen Ford died of a heart attack, showing Clark that no matter what he did, no matter how powerful he was, there were some things he just couldn't do.

Kevin Costner died so pathetically and unnecessarily, because Clark was afraid to do the right thing. For a dog?

Clark not being the one to go after the dog was the dumbest part of the movie. If Jonathan could get the dog, so could Clark. The only reason Jonathan died was because he broke his leg, which wouldn't have happened to Clark, and Clark could have ran to safety.

That was just awful.

I won't go into the extensive battle damage because it's been talked about elsewhere.

But the lack of warmth and something as simple as a smile is such a stark contrast between Reeve and Cavill, and hopefully one that someone will notice and correct.

Superman has to be liked. He's not Batman.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0