Voyager

By Any Other Name

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie   197 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 posts in this topic

Bye Any Other Nam

TOS Season 2, Episode 2

WRITTEN BY

D.C. Fontana and Jerome Bixby

DIRECTED BY

Marc Daniels

First Aired Feb 23, 1968

Stardate 4657.5

The Enterprise is captured by extragalactic aliens known as the Kelvans who plan to use the ship to return to their own galaxy; a voyage that will take over 300 years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was just looking for this episode and couldn't find it here, so I must have missed it when writing it up.

I love the scene when Scotty gets one of the Kelvans drunk lol. Gets a 7.

That's the best bit of this episode... :P

Oooh is that the one in which the crew gets transformed into these stylish little rocks? I love it when they crumble one of them. :devil: lol

^ :laugh: That was a delightfully evil scene ... I'm surprised that one wasn't painted red ;)

Ah Scotty's immortal line ... 'It's uh ... it's green.' :giggle:

I'll give it a 7.

One has to wonder how the Kelvins actually got through the barrier to our galaxy?

I don't quite know what it is about this episode that earns such plaudits from myself. As a Kirk fan I consider it a fine enough Kirk episode. Certainly after the death of Yeoman Thompson we see it on his face what it means (and I don't believe it's as a woman but as a member of his crew that affects him), we see it indeed often on his face what the situation means to the captain. His ship, his crew completely under siege and no one able to do anything. At times showing deviousness to accomplish what he needs. Messing with Rojan's mind by taking his woman -though that does lead to one of my favourite moments as he fights Rojan and is flung towards the doors into the arms of Spock and McCoy to say: "I'm...stimulating him"

But there's the fact that Spock and Scotty are quite willing to destroy the Enterprise as a last means to defeat the Kelvans. At the same time Kirk shows unwillingness to destroy his ship (perhaps too shocked that his men would consider this or that like we'd see in Star Trek III it's just too much to bear to destroy his beloved Enterprise).

And yes, the Scotty scene is funny but what would TOS be without the odd moment like that?

The remastered episode is most notable for the barrier scene.

Has one of Scotty's best lines EVER. :laugh:

Um. Rating it is difficult. I was certainly entertained by it. Hmmmmm. It didn't stand out as fantastic, though. I'm givin' it a 6.5 even though I can't vote that. HA!

Edited by Enterprising-Bones

The Kelvins are very dull at first, as is the episode. But it evolves into hilariousness. Scotty stills the show with the scotch contest. Those rocks are very cool as well. This gets a 7.

Just watched this one last night for the first time in what seems like ages.

And I loved it all over again.

A solid adventure/romp; I give it an 8.

Not just because Kelinda (Barbara Bouchet) was another in my long line of early TV crushes, but because I love how the tone shifts from heavy invasion melodrama in the beginning to all-out comedy by the end of the hour. It's like "Balance of Terror" turning into "Trouble With Tribbles." And the funny thing is, the transition happens so subtly (at first) that the shift in tone isn't really jarring. It begins with Kelvan 'Tomar' enjoying food. The comedic last third of the show really helps the heavier stuff go down; the invasion by the Kelvans, the death of Yeoman Thompson (the sight of a simple crushed polyhedron is oddly horrifying... smart way to cheat violence and death past the censors), the potential destruction of the Enterprise at the great barrier (nice bit of continuity too; referencing TOS' 2nd pilot, 'Where No Man...' ) and the in-fighting that begins among the senior staff over dinner when Kirk sheepishly admits he couldn't destroy the ship.

By the end of the hour, it becomes one of TOS ST's funniest installments (on a par with "Trouble With Tribbles" & "A Piece of the Action", IMO; perhaps funnier).

Scotty's drunken 'lost weekend' with Tomar is broad and over-the-top, but it totally works; thanks to Jimmy Doohan's charm and drunken swagger (gave Foster Brooks a run for his money). And Warren Stevens (a veteran of the 1956 scifi classic, "Forbidden Planet") is also quite convincing as the cold alien commander 'Rojan' who becomes the seething, 'jealous boyfriend' over the course of the episode. For once, Kirk's seduction skill really pays off as he courts the unbelievably hot Kelinda (the aforementioned Bouchet); riffing on the alien woman's emotional inexperience in what seems like a full-on parody of Kirk's patented 'alien seduction' techniques ('on Earth men and women show love with a kiss...blah, blah, blah'). In any other episode, your eyes roll when you hear Kirk pull his patented seduction moves; here, it is hysterical. The seemingly schizophrenic script by Dorothy Fontana ("Journey to Babel" and many others) and Jerome Bixby ("Mirror Mirror" "Requiem for Methuselah") shouldn't really work... but it does; like gangbusters.

Also loved the little nods to TOS' continuity (rarely seen/heard in TOS); we see the great barrier at the rim of the galaxy, although without the godlike-mutation effects this time around... phew! I assume (?) the Enterprise learned how to modify their shields to prevent that from happening again, based on their previous encounter (in "Where No Man..."). And when the crew are held captive on the planet, Kirk suggests that Spock use the same mental 'suggestion' technique on Kelinda that he attempted with a guard on Eminiar VII (in "Taste of Armageddon"). This was one of the rare times one sees/hears previous episodes referenced in TOS. It was a nice and subtle reminder of ST's then-slowly growing backstory.

DCC24CA4-3E0D-41DE-8720-1A9C423E6F6C.jpg

And you notice the Kelvans pasty-faced makeup at the beginning of the hour slowly becomes more natural as they become more 'human'?

byanyothername0021.jpgbyanyothername0385.jpg

I always thought that, given the Kelvans' "real" appearance, as suggested in Spock's mind touch ("immense beings... 100 limbs & tentacles"), they would've been ripe for a return in either the animated series or even in a new movie in their true form (!). With animation or modern CGI, it'd be interesting to see them fully realized, even if only in a flashback.

The wonderful ST-by-any-other-name 1999 comedy "Galaxy Quest" gave a hint of what this could look like, when we see the tentacled, squid-like Thermians shape shift into human beings (in my mind, I kind of picture the Kelvans looking like 8-10 ft. tall Thermians).

Thermian.png

Oh, and did I mention that Barbara Bouchet was a major TV crush of mine when I was a kid? :inlove:

2a0f73b7986e4afb2e5bb39d0f5869db.jpg<< "Is that a phaser in your pocket...?"

"We don't have pockets, my dear..."

* And extra credit points to the remastered version for giving this little episode some much needed scope with a lovely, quick glimpse of an alien planet vista (see: above), and new footage of the galactic barrier (instead of the reused footage from "Where No Man..." in the original), and the lovely glimpses the Enterprise leaving the Milky Way, and of the Andromeda Galaxy (aka M-31); which look more 'post-Hubble' than their predecessors.

Ep50_milkyway.jpg << Mmmm... purdy!

scifi_12048615056254.jpg << Love the new CGI planetscape; seen only briefly, it helps add much production value.

Again, a solid 8.

The remastered version is even better; those little added bits really help.

As an episode, BAON is silly, full of cliches, but a lot of fun... a very typically enjoyable 2nd season TOS Star Trek.

Scotty's drinking the Kelvan under the table was what made the episode.

Sadly, if the episode premiered today it would be criticized for making light of a serious condition and the writers would have to follow up with Scotty watching a video on the dangers of binge drinking, followed by two or three weeks in a Starfleet detox facility...

Sadly, if the episode premiered today it would be criticized for making light of a serious condition and the writers would have to follow up with Scotty watching a video on the dangers of binge drinking, followed by two or three weeks in a Starfleet detox facility...

I would't go that far.

Even DS9 had a scene of Bashir and O'Brien drunk off their asses with no rehab whatsoever... :P

I would't go that far.

Even DS9 had a scene of Bashir and O'Brien drunk off their asses with no rehab whatsoever... :P

DS9 was filmed 15-20 years ago when cultural sensibilities were a little more forgiving. Nowadays, someone gets offended and there's suddenly a Facebook page demanding the show be canceled and a twitter campaign demanding an apology...

I would't go that far.

DS9 was filmed 15-20 years ago when cultural sensibilities were a little more forgiving. Nowadays, someone gets offended and there's suddenly a Facebook page demanding the show be canceled and a twitter campaign demanding an apology...

Quite true.

Even worse is something like Kirk punching Shana unconscious in "Gamesters of Triskelion"; that would (understandably) be totally verboten these days...

This has always been a must-watch episode for me, and I'd easily give it a 7 or 8 for enjoyment.  As mentioned previously, it starts out with dead seriousness and gradually progresses toward a more lighthearted, comedic tone.  Scotty, of course, is simply priceless in this episode.  Who doesn't feel his pain when he realizes he must sacrifice his last, most cherished bottle of Scotch in an effort to save the ship?  Poor man....:( 

One thing I've always questioned is how the Kelvans obtained human form in the first place.  Rojan is bewildered by the heightened senses "...of these shells in which we have encased ourselves."  Did they encounter human(oid) beings somewhere along the way on the Andromeda side or once they crossed over into our galaxy? From his conversation with Hanar, it sounds like it happened not long before the Enterprise crew came along because they are still adjusting to their new form. The Kelvans' belt devices either immobilize people or turn them into polyhedrons, so how did they hijack the bodies?  Inquiring minds want to know!  :giggle:  Anyway, a great episode!