Sign in to follow this  
Daedalus

Lore

Daedalus   

As far as the suggestion he's executed - disagree 100%. Death is eternal and there's no coming back from it. Lore can be reassembled at any time. His current state is akin to placing a criminal in suspended animation.

This is true, and that makes me feel better, heh.

When you think about it, according to cannon, Lore has the emotional development of a four year old, having only been active for a total of four years. You can program all the information into an android that you want and it will be intelligent. However I imagine emotional development is something that is more organic and must be learned, rather than downloaded. Perhaps not all of Lore's behaviour is sociopathic, but instead child like. What do toddlers do but want for everything? When they do not get their way, they throw a tantrum. Lore's tantrums, unfortunately are augmented by superior strength and intelligence, and an over developed sense of ambition. It does rather remind me of the Augments, now that I think of it, which another Soong was ironically involved in.

Begs the question, why can't Soong's have normal kids like everyone else? But that's a different thread.

Edited by Daedalus

I'm cerious. How do You guys write for Lore?

There are some characters from other shows & video games that Lore Reminds Me of, greatly. I can actually hear him say & the diologe of these characters.

One such character is Kefka from the video game Final Fantasy 6 & the Final Fantasy Dissidia series.

I think there's something to be said here about what exactly the nature of both Data and Lore are. If you think about it, their "ability" to be self-aware is, in effect, something they were programmed to do. They are still machines, and the fact of the matter is that Data had to have had a code of ethics to follow in order to determine right from wrong, good and bad, etc. Lore is obviously devoid of this, and even if he's taught a code of ethics, his self-awareness is about understanding he's a superior construct, thus acts on it.

As far as the suggestion he's executed - disagree 100%. Death is eternal and there's no coming back from it. Lore can be reassembled at any time. His current state is akin to placing a criminal in suspended animation.

WarBird.gif

If you think about the nature of consciousness (and sentience, for that matter), we humans are also similarly 'programmed' by our DNA to be self-aware as well. So the idea that Lore (and Data) are merely sum totals of their programming can apply to human beings as well. We too, are merely combinations of nature and nurture; a combination of the two that is played out in the arena of our minds and our consciousness (and subconsciousness). I would argue that, despite their mechanical nature, Lore and Data are no more 'programmed' than any of us.

And as someone who is adamantly opposed to the death penalty, I agree; Lore is better off dismantled than destroyed (which would be a tremendous waste of a potentially valuable machine for study). And who knows? B-4 might need spare parts someday... :P

Besides, dismantling Lore (rather than vaporizing him) also provides an opportunity for future cyberneticists to study where Soong went wrong ('Often-Wrong?' :laugh: ).

Edited by Sehlat Vie

And as someone who is adamantly opposed to the death penalty, I agree; Lore is better off dismantled than destroyed (which would be a tremendous waste of a potentially valuable machine for study). And who knows? B-4 might need spare parts someday... :P

So, in your opinion, should we dismantle people instead of the death penalty and use the remains for people who need spare parts?

So, in your opinion, should we dismantle people instead of the death penalty and use the remains for people who need spare parts?

People aren't mechanical. You can dismantle an android without necessarily 'killing' it. You can always put it back together.

My main objection to the death penalty is that I'd rather 12 murderous thugs go on living behind bars for the rest of their lives than even one innocent person (falsely convicted) getting killed by a state. I don't think any state is so wise or omnipotent as to be above making a fatal miscarriage of justice.

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Sign in to follow this