J_Chaney

What was the last non-Trek tv show you watched?

I recently watched the final season of "Broadchurch" which was a fine ending to that series. It had better focus than the second season (though I still rather like the second season despite its flaws), and though it is a completely different type of investigation and story with a lot of new players, it felt like a good way to end the show. I've also rewatched a few episodes from the first and second season here and there, as my wife has been watching it for the first time. 

I also began watching "Victoria," a British drama about the early days of the reign of Queen Victoria, and starring Doctor Who's Jenna Coleman in the title role.  Quite good actually, as I am always kind of fascinated by the whole weird history of the monarch in the UK, particularly against the backdrop of changing times when the Monarch seems increasingly quaint and kind of out of place. 

Just watched Season 4, Episode 1 of Black Mirror, “USS Callister.”  It’s a very interesting episode that includes a dark parody of Star Trek.  I’m a little uncomfortable with its treatment of fandom and geek culture.  But overall, it is expertly produced science fiction with a fair share of twists and turns.

Guess what Iam watching........Remember THE FANTASTIC JOURNEY ? Chances are you do not. This barely seen science fiction television series ran (with little fanfare and zero network support) on NBC from February to June in 1977, just prior to the “Star Wars” sci-fi explosion.

Although it lasted only ten episodes, this seductive, imaginative, and irresistibly entertaining series left an strong impression for anyone who ever saw it, especially if you were of a certain age and stumbled upon the show (it was never promoted by NBC) during its initial run. The series also featured several great actors including Jared Martin and Roddy McDowall. Here is the intro on YouTube for those who dont remember their voyages (shame on you !) :

Another challenge for the Green Hornet, his aide Kato, and their rolling arsenal, the Black Beauty. On police records a wanted criminal, the Green Hornet is really Britt Reid, owner-publisher of the Daily Sentinel; his dual identity known only to his secretary, and to the district attorney. And now, to protect the rights and lives of decent citizens, rides The Green Hornet!

Recently finished up the first season of "Victoria." It's a decent period drama with good performances and a lovely production design.  If there is a flaw in it for me, is that I am more interested in the Royals than I am in their servants.  I can see they were maybe hoping to pull off another Downton Abbey in terms of the upstairs/downstairs dynamic...but the downstairs folks aren't nearly as interesting as the story of a young inexperienced monarch, the strangeness of her trying to figure out which relative to marry, and all the strangeness that comes with the monarchy and the weird family connections with most of Europe's rulers at the time.  I just ind all that stuff fascinating, and all the stuf about a grumpy butler and semi-tragic backstories to maids just end up feeling like a bit of padding to me. And my wife and I were fans of the goofy soapiness and both sides of the Downton Abbey world...this show just doesn't have the same kind of interesting characters in the help staff to keep up with the utter weirdness that is the Royalty...at least for me. 

Just finished my re-watch of the first Remington Steele season. Gotta take a break from that show now, though - I have to re-watch Z Nation's first three seasons since season 4 was just released on DVD, and I need to remember what happened before I watch that one. (Granted, the episodes mostly aren't TOO inter-connected, but still.)

Do you remember the video game craze from the early 1980s ? Do you ever played with Atari 2600 or Colecovision games like ZaXXoon, Space Invaders and even Star Wars Jedi Academy ???? No. Heck, I did, And one of my favorite sci-fi series as a teenager was just that, a video game cpome to life - AUTOMAN ! This Glen Larson 1983 TV Series (obviously influenced by TRON) ran for only 13 episodes. But was too much fun. Perhaps becausde the two leads actors have good cemistry - Chuck Wagner and Desiu Arnaz Jr - or perhqaps you just loved video games. Like me.

That oddly creepy “Cursor” hasn’t aged so well; and neither has all that TRON-glowing suit stuff either.   Glen Larson was the king of television knockoffs, that’s for sure...

LTIW:

This morning I watched the second episode of American Crime Story, “The Assassination of Gianni Versace” (2018). 

the-assassination-of-gianni-versace.jpg

Good series so far; much like their take on the OJ Simpson trial a couple years ago.  
I wasn’t going to watch this one, but I got talked into it by a friend of mine, and so far, I’m enjoying it; it’s very well acted, and it sheds a lot of light on a criminal case that I was only vaguely familiar with at the time.

Watched on DVD this morning for the first time the 1950 serial ATOM MAN VS SUPERMAN, the second Columbia serial starring Kirk Alyn and Noel Neill. Great fun, very low budget. It was not iconic like the George Reeves TV Series, but it was good camp fun. It introduces the character of Lex Luthor, the so-called "Atom Man" from the title. The first live action Superman was fun, but I still think that THE ADBENTURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Tim Tyler was still the best super hero serial ever made in the 1940s.

28058798_10215807207032317_7172189761778

28056515_10215807206232297_7332430922105

Gus

Next to "Black Mirror", I also watched Netflix's "Ozark" recently.

"Ozark" doesn't show much you haven't seen in a much better way on "Breaking Bad" already, but it's decent enough to be entertaining, imo.