J_Chaney

What was the last non-Trek tv show you watched?

2 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Originally, I only got as far as ep 2 or thereabouts...? Ep 3 maybe. It really does pick up, though, about halfway through the season. I binged it while I was ill earlier this year and it kept me engaged. It's hard SF on TV, and does require some commitment, but it's worth it. Haven't watched S2 yet,  though. 

It’s magnificent world-building too.  And yes, I can see this is commitment-heavy TV, so it’s a good thing I watch it while I’m pinned to my bloody exercycle; can’t go anywhere, and it has my full attention (hehe)...

2 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Didn't you used to watch "The Walking Dead?" :)

That's pretty much why I had to bail on it.

Yes, I ‘broke up’ with TWD last year; the season 7 opener was more than gory or bleak, it was just sadistic.  The show seemed to change perspective and was now (seemingly) reveling in its own brutality and sadism.   That, and Glenn’s fake-out ‘death’ in S6 (a ridiculous audience cheat), were the points where I just got sick of it.   I quit the show AND the graphic novels (which I’d been following before the debut of the series). 

And "Fear the Walking Dead” was a complete and total bore.   

4 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

; the season 7 opener was more than gory or bleak, it was just sadistic.  

Yeah, I heard about all the eye-popping crappiness (literally). Sounds like they did that just to do it and I've never understood that. You go to petty shock value when you've got nothing else. 

26 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Yeah, I heard about all the eye-popping crappiness (literally). Sounds like they did that just to do it and I've never understood that. You go to petty shock value when you've got nothing else. 

It was also the perspective change; the show seemed less about the survivors and more about pimping the s#!t out of its new villain Negan (who is nothing new to fans of the books).   I just got sick of the repetition.  Every year (both on TV and in the books) it was the same formula: survivors flee bad situation, find new haven, bully threatens it, survivors fight bully, flee haven... rinse and repeat. 

I just had to get off the express train to Nowhere.   I loved the early years of the show because there were occasional breaks and moments which offered new twists and insights on post-zombie apocalypse life.   But now?  It’s basically the same old s#!t; reheated and re-served every week.  

Sim   
7 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Started watching (or kinda re-watching) “The Expanse” again.

Rented S1, disc 1 and I’m about halfway through E2 (this is more or less the point I gave up on last time).  Despite the seemingly unremitting bleakness, I’m continuing because of the good word of mouth this show is getting.    And once again, I’m very impressed (as I was before) with the world building; this is a very richly detailed and imagined solarscape right out of the box.

Impressive.  

I plan to continue...

It's IMO a very promising show, but I had troubles getting into it for the first 3 or 4 episodes, too. It takes quite some time to set the stage. But especially the world building gets even more detailed and once the main characters are introduced, it picks up some steam, and there are some nice hard-SF elements here and there. I suspect you'll enjoy it.

Just watching the Young Indiana Jones TV Movie INDIANA JONES AND THE MYSTERY OF THE BLUES, special guest starring Harrison Ford as an older and bearded Indy at age 50. Love this series and Ford cameo is very classy. Well done, Lucas.

21430291_10214373943121615_5011352731401

Just watch an awesome extensive trailer from the VHS era at

31 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:
Just watching the Young Indiana Jones TV Movie INDIANA JONES AND THE MYSTERY OF THE BLUES, special guest starring Harrison Ford as an older and bearded Indy at age 50. Love this series and Ford cameo is very classy. Well done, Lucas.

21430291_10214373943121615_5011352731401

Just watch an awesome extensive trailer from the VHS era at

I haven't watched that show in about 25 years (since it was airing).  I remember giving up on it because it was (dare I say it?) kinda boring.  I enjoyed Sean Patrick Flannery as the teenaged Indy, though I thought the late River Phoenix was much better at conveying/foreshadowing Indy's actual energy and mannerisms in "Last Crusade." 

Think I might have to get a copy of the DVDs someday (cheap and used, if possible).  Maybe the middle-aged me would have more patience with the show now...?

I also hated this when I saw on TV in the early 1990s.

Now have watched 3 of the movies on DVD - INDIANA JONES AND THE MASKS OF EVIL,  INDIANA JONES AND THE TRAIN OF DOOM and INDIANA JONES AND THE MYSTERY OF THE BLUES (my favorite because of the emotional Harrison Ford cameo) - I cant get enough of this series. Very well produced and acted and Flannery is an underrated actor as Indy, he did  agreat job. Very good blast from the past !

Gus

I'm busy with a LOST re-watch I'm doing at the moment and argh, this show started out SO GOOD and then just fell into pieces at some point. IT COULD HAVE BEEN BRILLIANT.

tumblr_nozmsiEkgE1s4tlg9o2_r1_250.gif

1 hour ago, GustavoLeao said:

I also hated this when I saw on TV in the early 1990s.

Now have watched 3 of the movies on DVD - INDIANA JONES AND THE MASKS OF EVIL,  INDIANA JONES AND THE TRAIN OF DOOM and INDIANA JONES AND THE MYSTERY OF THE BLUES (my favorite because of the emotional Harrison Ford cameo) - I cant get enough of this series. Very well produced and acted and Flannery is an underrated actor as Indy, he did  agreat job. Very good blast from the past !

Gus

I loved the “Indiana Jones” movies back in the ‘80s and the ‘90s (still do, save for “Temple of Doom” and “Crystal Skull”), but I remember the series just left me cold.   Felt more like a dull professor giving a musty lecture in History class rather than a TV show; and the ‘historical’ figures Indy would run into often feel more like the animatronic Abe Lincoln at Disneyland rather than ‘real’ people.   It just never clicked for me.

But then again, I’m rewatching VGR these days and enjoying them a lot more than I did in the ‘90s, so maybe my middle-aged tastes are changing (?), I dunno.

Might be worth another shot.  Maybe “Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" will come to CBS All Access streaming someday and I can rewatch it then... 

Maybe you should get the DVD set faturing 12 movies. Its cheap.

Because if adventure has a name.......it must be Indiana Jones.

Gus

2 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

Maybe you should get the DVD set faturing 12 movies. Its cheap.

Because if adventure has a name.......it must be Indiana Jones.

Gus

Nah.

First off, I have the original trilogy (yes, trilogy; I never bought the last movie because it was pretty much Indiana Jones-flavored garbage), and I don't want to spend money on the series if I don't like it.  I'll wait.  Some streaming service will pick it up, sooner or later...

3 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

First off, I have the original trilogy (yes, trilogy; I never bought the last movie because it was pretty much Indiana Jones-flavored garbage),

It came with my set, so I didn't have a choice. :) Sadly.

13 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

It came with my set, so I didn't have a choice. :) Sadly.

I'm still rockin' the old 2001-issue DVDs.  I can imagine that IJ in BR is fantastic, but I only have a 43" TV (and less-than-spectacular eyesight) so SD does the trick when I have a jones for Jones. :laugh:

LNSTIW:

The 1964 Outer Limits, "Keeper of the Purple Twilight."  Interesting, odd 2nd season story about a man who trades his emotions for intellect to complete a weapon design.  That man just so happened to be "Forbidden Planet" and TOS "By Any Other Name" star Warren Stevens.  

I was just talKing to sci-fi writer Douglas Nary Jr on Facebook, who just watched Cannon's MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE live action 1987 movie starring Doulph Lundgren as He-Man and the great Frank Langella as Sketetor (can you believe, a good Cannon movie !!! gasp !!) how much I enjoyed the Filmation cartoon of HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE. You know, I am a huge Filmation fan, but this cartoon tops the list. I have the power !!! LOL Watching first season episodes now.

Watched my rental copy of “The Expanse” S1, DVD disc 2 during exercise.

Overall it’s much more watchable now.   It’s finally crawled out of its tortuously slow and bleak beginnings into something faster paced and more engaging emotionally.   Not quite sure if I’m loving it just yet, but I’m sticking with it.  The characters are slowly growing on me as well (particularly the conflicts between James and Amos & the mercurial temperament of hot/cold Earth-based politician Chrisjen; exceptionally fine acting by ), hough Ceres’ 'Emo-Cop’ Joe Miller (Thomas Jane) is a walking catalog of bad cop cliches.   I half-expect Joe to start calling women ‘broads’ or ‘dames.’ 

Also saw S1 E2 of “The Orville” (“Command Performance”) tonight.

A significant improvement over last week’s creaky pilot; tonight’s episode gave a spotlight to Lt. Katan (sp?) a character who barely registered at all in the pilot, and was more of a straight science fiction story.   The smartest move of the week?   The ‘big punchline’ was saved for the end; which is precisely how it should be done, rather than undercutting audience investment with silly, vaudevillian jokes peppered throughout (there were a few of those, but they were less distracting tonight).  

Basically the show is a slightly (and only slightly) more irreverent remake of ST: TNG.   It plays better straight; as a comedy,  “The Orville” is an utter failure.