J_Chaney

What was the last non-Trek tv show you watched?

Still working my way through my "Dynasty" re-watch. On season 5 now, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to remain interested. Things are getting too weird, even by Dynasty's standards, haha. (And I already dropped the last two seasons from my viewing list...) I don't get why season 5 was the most popular one back in the day, but hey, I never go along with everyone else's favorite seasons of television shows... :P

kenman   

Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later.  As a massive fan of the original movie (one of my all time favorite comedies), as well as the prequel series they did a couple of years ago, I couldn't help but enjoy this ridiculous series.

Sim   

In the past days, I watched "The Leftovers" episodes 3.05 and 3.06.

And "Twin Peaks" episode 3.13.

And "Game of Thrones" episode 7.06. Wow, that show gets really thrilling... it will be hard to wait for the final season...

Sim   

Classic "Doctor Who", 5th Doctor: "The Caves of Androzani".

The copy of the German release I ordered had arrived today... even got a "Limited Edition" copy. :) It's the first German release (including a dubbing!) of a DW episode that had never been on German tv. The publisher financed a dubbing exclusively for this release, pretty amazing! I hope it sells well and the publisher is going to release more classic DW episodes...

One thing about the dubbing (which overall appears decent to me) is odd, though: They hired the same voice actor again who already dubbed the 6th and 7th Doctors almost 30 years ago... which means three of the old Doctors now have the same voice in the German version. I'm not sure I like this concept... on one side, it underlines that the Doctor is supposed to be the same character, regardless of the actor. But on the other side, I feel this voice doesn't match Peter Davison very well (while he IMO was pretty good as Sylvester McCoy's 7th Doctor).

Judging by a German DW forum I visited, it were the old school fans who asked for the same voice actor again. It seems for the "old" fans in Germany who already watched the 6th and 7th Doctors 30 years ago, this concept and the voice actor are iconic ... but as a new fan, I'm more used to the NuDW concept of casting a new voice actor for each new Doctor.

Anyway, I hope IF there will be German releases of Tom Baker episodes at some point, they'll choose a different voice actor...

Edited by Sim

Mostly competition shows this week; “Face Off” (SyFy channel) and, that old favorite in our house, “Project Runway.” 

Sim   

Finished "The Leftovers" with the final two episodes, 3.07 and 3.08.

A pretty good series, IMO. Lots of psychological depth... a more "intellectual" kind of mystery show. And the ending was IMO appropriate -- it didn't strike me as cheap or so, that the solution to the disappearance mystery was somewhat fable or proverb-like, but I felt it was rather a smart, elegant understatement. And the two main characters got a formidable closure, too... only I wish the supporting characters would have gotton a little more attention. But still, great show.

Edited by Sim

kenman   

Got all caught up on the latest Twin Peaks. Great stuff, so glad it is back and I love that I never really know where it is heading!

About 2/3rds finished with Star Wars Rebels S2 (better than I expected, but still not-quite must see TV; more like a decent show to exercise to). 

And I've been getting back into an old favorite of mine, "The Outer Limits"; currently watching the episode "Wolf 359" (and no, it has nothing to do with the infamous Star Trek battle...hehe).

Sim   

"Game of Thrones" episode 7.07. Amazing season finale... so much has happened so quickly this season. A bit annoying we'll have to wait another year until we see the conclusion ...

Hello, good morning, bom dia ! I dunno if there are a few GENE RODDENBERRY'S ANDROMEDA fans here, but the sci-fi series first season (the bests eason) starring Kevin Sorbo as starship Captain Dylan Hunt and produced by DS9 writer/producer Robert Hewitt Wolfe, is on sale for pre-order on Amazon for just $12. Yep, the entire first season for just $12. On the starship Andromeda, hope lives again.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07472FFMS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

21150471_10214295246754255_5871075792561

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

Sim   

I felt like rewatching some Doctor Who lately: "The Five Doctors". I liked it even better this time, after the "new" release of "Caves of Androzani" got me in the right mood for some classic DW. :)

Then I watched some episodes with Colin Baker: "Mindwarp" and "Terror of the Vervoids".

The former is IMO a good example for the weakness of the 6th Doctor's episodes... I liked it even less than I remembered it. It was so bad, it was really hard at times for me to focus on the convoluted story. 

But the latter is one of the stronger Colin Baker episodes.

Then I felt I need some David Tennant, to remember how amazing DW can be: Watched "Tooth and Claw" and "School Reunion". Tennant (and Rose) is still my favorite... :)

1 hour ago, GustavoLeao said:

Hello, good morning, bom dia ! I dunno if there are a few GENE RODDENBERRY'S ANDROMEDA fans here, but the sci-fi series first season (the bests eason) starring Kevin Sorbo as starship Captain Dylan Hunt and produced by DS9 writer/producer Robert Hewitt Wolfe, is on sale for pre-order on Amazon for just $12. Yep, the entire first season for just $12. On the starship Andromeda, hope lives again.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07472FFMS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

21150471_10214295246754255_5871075792561

Gus

Gus, I appreciate your enthusiasm for Andromeda, but tying it in with direct Amazon links and Amazon pricing borders on spamming.

If you’re going to advertise so directly, then at least post it in our Promenade section, okay?    Thanks. :)

Hey no problem, Sehlat. I apologize, anyway.

Thanks for the warning,

I have to say I re-discoverd this TV Series on DVD lately and I love it. I know I hate prequels and reboots but YOUNG INDIANA JONES is a classy series, Harrison Ford even played a older Indy in the episode INDIANA JONES AND THE MYSTERY OF THE BLUES. Love it, you rule, George Lucas ! LOL

Edited by GustavoLeao

2 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

Hey no problem, Sehlat. I apologize, anyway.

Thanks for the warning,

Thanks for understanding. 

I am a huge Captain America fam, a you probably know, but I have to admit that I was never interested in Dick Purcell, who played Captain America in a 1943 Republic serial, or Matt Sallinger who played Cap in a Menahem Golan--produced movie in 1990. Instead, one of my favorite childhood TV heroes was Reb Brown as Captain America in the two TV movies from 1979. I loved Reb in the role and I think these low budget TV Movies, like Nick Hammond's Spider-Man TV Series, are underrated. Loved it. Still do.

I just love composers Mike Post and Pete Carpenter soundtrack for the CAPTAIN AMERICA TV Movies from 1979. It bring back nice memories, you know. And yeah, thats the great Christopher Lee as the villain in the second TV Movie.

Good day and a nice week bom dia e boa semana;.

Edited by GustavoLeao

kenman   
On 8/31/2017 at 10:44 AM, Sim said:

I felt like rewatching some Doctor Who lately: "The Five Doctors". I liked it even better this time, after the "new" release of "Caves of Androzani" got me in the right mood for some classic DW. :)

Then I watched some episodes with Colin Baker: "Mindwarp" and "Terror of the Vervoids".

The former is IMO a good example for the weakness of the 6th Doctor's episodes... I liked it even less than I remembered it. It was so bad, it was really hard at times for me to focus on the convoluted story. 

But the latter is one of the stronger Colin Baker episodes.

Then I felt I need some David Tennant, to remember how amazing DW can be: Watched "Tooth and Claw" and "School Reunion". Tennant (and Rose) is still my favorite... :)

Oddly enough I feel exactly the opposite about those particular Sixth Doctor stories.  I rather enjoy Mindwarp, and found Terror of the Vervoids to be a bit tedious. Both would have been better served without the Trial stuff....the Trial had intriguing stuff early on but then fell apart pretty quickly. 

The last non Trek show I watched was the end to Twin Peaks.  What a great revival.  Loved it. 

Sim   
3 hours ago, kenman said:

Oddly enough I feel exactly the opposite about those particular Sixth Doctor stories.  I rather enjoy Mindwarp, and found Terror of the Vervoids to be a bit tedious. Both would have been better served without the Trial stuff....the Trial had intriguing stuff early on but then fell apart pretty quickly. 

The last non Trek show I watched was the end to Twin Peaks.  What a great revival.  Loved it. 

I agree about the trial stuff... the Doctor really doesn't shine here IMO, his behavior is too much over-the-top. In general, I realize that I like the Colin Baker episodes the least of all Doctor stories... many of them are rather awful. But still, it's the Doctor, so I rewatch them! :)

Then I continued: "The Ultimate Foe" was a bit creepy in a surreal way at time... the hands grabbing from below the sand reminded me of the technically much superior "hand mines" in Capaldi's season 9 opener. :D

Then went on to the 7th Doctor: "Time and the Rani", "Paradise Towers", "Delta and the Bannerman", "Dragonfire" and "Remembrance of the Daleks". That's more like it! Sylvester McCoy's Doctor is really decent, IMO.

"Paradise Towers" is a favorite of mine. The surreal setting with the slightly anarchic undertones and references to urban subculture reminds me of plays of a famous "alternative" youth theatre here in Berlin (I think I mentioned that before).

When I watched "Delta and the Bannermen", my little daughter (now 3.5 years old) joined me at some point... I told her it could be scary, and if she's scared, I can switch off... but she was very curious. She was pretty scared, yet fascinated by the hatching of the alien baby, but then very relieved when in the next scene, the green baby was in the arms of her mother. :D Before it got too violent, I switched off to continue later. Little one is now fascinated by Doctor Who: She found my DW compendium and patiently studied all the pictures, asking many questions. I think soon she'll be able to tell which Doctor is which. :D  Since she got a plush Dalek, I showed her a couple of scenes from "Remembrance of the Daleks" too, and she was amazed. She proudly declares "I'm going to watch Doctor Who when I am bigger!" now! :)

As for "Twin Peaks", I got to catch up: Still haven't seen episode 3.15. But it's waiting for me!

kenman   
20 hours ago, Sim said:

I agree about the trial stuff... the Doctor really doesn't shine here IMO, his behavior is too much over-the-top. In general, I realize that I like the Colin Baker episodes the least of all Doctor stories... many of them are rather awful. But still, it's the Doctor, so I rewatch them! :)

Then I continued: "The Ultimate Foe" was a bit creepy in a surreal way at time... the hands grabbing from below the sand reminded me of the technically much superior "hand mines" in Capaldi's season 9 opener. :D

Then went on to the 7th Doctor: "Time and the Rani", "Paradise Towers", "Delta and the Bannerman", "Dragonfire" and "Remembrance of the Daleks". That's more like it! Sylvester McCoy's Doctor is really decent, IMO.

"Paradise Towers" is a favorite of mine. The surreal setting with the slightly anarchic undertones and references to urban subculture reminds me of plays of a famous "alternative" youth theatre here in Berlin (I think I mentioned that before).

When I watched "Delta and the Bannermen", my little daughter (now 3.5 years old) joined me at some point... I told her it could be scary, and if she's scared, I can switch off... but she was very curious. She was pretty scared, yet fascinated by the hatching of the alien baby, but then very relieved when in the next scene, the green baby was in the arms of her mother. :D Before it got too violent, I switched off to continue later. Little one is now fascinated by Doctor Who: She found my DW compendium and patiently studied all the pictures, asking many questions. I think soon she'll be able to tell which Doctor is which. :D  Since she got a plush Dalek, I showed her a couple of scenes from "Remembrance of the Daleks" too, and she was amazed. She proudly declares "I'm going to watch Doctor Who when I am bigger!" now! :)

As for "Twin Peaks", I got to catch up: Still haven't seen episode 3.15. But it's waiting for me!

I recently rewatched those Seventh Doctor stories myself (though I think I only rewatched episode one of Delta).  And funnily enough recently my daughter told me that when she is bigger she'd watch Who with me as well!  She also has a plush Dalek.  Makes me listen to the theme a lot in the car. 

Sim   
4 hours ago, kenman said:

I recently rewatched those Seventh Doctor stories myself (though I think I only rewatched episode one of Delta).  And funnily enough recently my daughter told me that when she is bigger she'd watch Who with me as well!  She also has a plush Dalek.  Makes me listen to the theme a lot in the car. 

We're breeding "Generation Who"! :giggle::thumbup:

Last night, my daughter chose the DW "The Vault" as book I shall read for her right before bedtime (well, "reading" in most cases just means looking at the pictures and explaining a few things about them... she's still a bit impatient about entire read stories most of the time). She was especially fascinated by the guy who builds the masks. And this morning on the way to daycare, she'd repeat things she had seen in the book... my wife had to explain to the daycare teacher: "If she's telling you something about Santa Claus and pilot fishes... don't worry, that's Doctor Who!" :giggle:

My wife jokes that she's the "Doctor Who-child" anyway, because when my wife was pregnant with little one, we watched a lot of DW together, so little one was conditioned on the theme in the womb already (okay, now I worry for little one #2, because she is the "X-Files child"... but she won't get to see that until she is much older...)

Started watching (or kinda re-watching) “The Expanse” again.

Rented S1, disc 1 and I’m about halfway through E2 (this is more or less the point I gave up on last time).  Despite the seemingly unremitting bleakness, I’m continuing because of the good word of mouth this show is getting.    And once again, I’m very impressed (as I was before) with the world building; this is a very richly detailed and imagined solarscape right out of the box.

Impressive.  

I plan to continue...

11 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Despite the seemingly unremitting bleakness,

Didn't you used to watch "The Walking Dead?" :)

That's pretty much why I had to bail on it.

47 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Started watching (or kinda re-watching) “The Expanse” again.

Rented S1, disc 1 and I’m about halfway through E2 (this is more or less the point I gave up on last time).  Despite the seemingly unremitting bleakness, I’m continuing because of the good word of mouth this show is getting.    And once again, I’m very impressed (as I was before) with the world building; this is a very richly detailed and imagined solarscape right out of the box.

Impressive.  

I plan to continue...

Originally, I only got as far as ep 2 or thereabouts...? Ep 3 maybe. It really does pick up, though, about halfway through the season. I binged it while I was ill earlier this year and it kept me engaged. It's hard SF on TV, and does require some commitment, but it's worth it. Haven't watched S2 yet,  though. 

38 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Didn't you used to watch "The Walking Dead?" :)

That's pretty much why I had to bail on it.

:laugh: