J_Chaney

What was the last non-Trek tv show you watched?

I've started my Dynasty re-watch, which I want to be done with before the reboot arrives. Heeeere we gooooo!

Sim   

My buddy came over with pizza and we watched "The Man in the High Castle", episode 2.10.

Sim   
On 26.6.2017 at 8:43 PM, kenman said:

Don't expect it to make a lick of sense, but man was it creepy and at times downright horrific.  Relies mainly on imagery, but it was very great. 

Just watched "Twin Peaks" episode 3.08, too. Indeed creepy! And dangerous viewing... these flickering lights at the station almost gave me an epileptic seizure (actually had to close my eyes for a minute or so). Lynch is really great at nightmarish imagery... but I have to admit, this episode that was basically just a one-hour video clip relying on no plot whatsoever but visual creativity alone, is a bit too ethereal for my taste. I prefer Lynch's visions in smaller doses, interspersed with more mundane, linear anchors that tie it to rational reality. :laugh: So yeah, definitely fascinating ... but really more for Lynch fans, than for Twin Peaks fans.

Sim   

"Mad Men" episode 5.07.

And "The Leftovers" episodes 2.07 and 2.08. This show really has quite some psychological depth. Kevin's "trip" is quite a fascinating nightmare that picks up a lot of symbols that were spread over the series so far. Someone really read their Freud, or Jung or whatever. :laugh:

Sim   

"The Twilight Zone" episode 4.18.

And "Sherlock" episode 2.03.

kenman   

Yesterday while editing at work I had on both parts of Doctor Who's "The End of Time" to complete my Simm Master rewatch before tonight's finale...and then tonight I watched the finale, which was fantastic!

Sim   

Last night, I watched "Doctor Who" episode 10.12 "The Doctor Falls". I was very tired and half asleep, so I guess I should rewatch before I comment.

Today, I watched "The Leftovers" episode 2.09.

And "Mad Men" episode 5.08.

Doctor Who “The Doctor Falls."

Loved that last scene, but I’m still processing it as a whole; need to rewatch it again sometime this week.   

Sim   

"Fear the Walking Dead" episode 3.06.

"The Leftovers" episode 2.10. Pretty good season finale.

"Homeland" episode 1.05.

Sim   

"Mad Men" episode 5.09.

And "Dear White People" episodes 1.04 and 1.05. Really great show, which is a very interesting look into race relations in America, which is very interesting for my outsider perspective. I like how the show deconstructs all kinds of clichés, and is very successful at depicting how blacks are far from uniform on all kinds of cultural and political matters, but very diverse. Especially the party fight in episode 1.05 made me realize how much this conflict is coined by the fact that America has never really dealt with its dark history regarding blacks. Plus, the show has a lot of humor, which makes it easy to digest. Great stuff, IMO.

Edited by Sim

After I got home yesterday, I watched a bit of the Twilight Zone marathon.  I have most of them on DVD, but what the hell? :P

Sim   

Last night, my buddy came over with pizza and we started "Better Call Saul": Episodes 1.01 and 1.02.

Nice to revisit the beginnings of this amazing show. :)

Sim   

"Sherlock" episode 3.02.

And "Homeland" episode 1.06.

Sim   

"The Young Pope" episode 1.06.

"Mad Men" episode 5.10.

And "Dear White People" episode 1.06.

Popped in some Twilight Zone on DVD the other day during exercise.

Watched “The Hundred Year Caper” and “The New Exhibit” (hour-long).   This show loses NONE of its luster for me, even after all the the decades since I first saw it.  

Sim   
47 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Popped in some Twilight Zone on DVD the other day during exercise.

Watched “The Hundred Year Caper” and “The New Exhibit” (hour-long).   This show loses NONE of its luster for me, even after all the the decades since I first saw it.  

Yes, the show is absolutely amazing! In the last half year, I've finally seen all of the first 4 seasons and am totally amazed. Although I hardly knew the show before (I had only seen a dozen episodes or so before, back in the 90s), and now watch it as if it was a new show, it appears totally fresh to me.

It doesn't feel like a show that's 60s years old at all (well, most of the time, at least). Many stories are timeless. And it's also fascinating to see how some of the stories influenced later genre productions (For example, I hadn't had an idea that TOS "The Cage" basically is an inofficial continuation of a TTZ episode, even with some of the actors!).

I've still got season 5 ahead of me, and looking forward to it! :)

LNSTIW: Season 4 of "Bates Motel" is now available on Netflix, so I watch episode 4.01.

13 minutes ago, Sim said:

Yes, the show is absolutely amazing! In the last half year, I've finally seen all of the first 4 seasons and am totally amazed. Although I hardly knew the show before (I had only seen a dozen episodes or so before, back in the 90s), and now watch it as if it was a new show, it appears totally fresh to me.

It doesn't feel like a show that's 60s years old at all (well, most of the time, at least). Many stories are timeless. And it's also fascinating to see how some of the stories influenced later genre productions (For example, I hadn't had an idea that TOS "The Cage" basically is an inofficial continuation of a TTZ episode, even with some of the actors!).

I've still got season 5 ahead of me, and looking forward to it! :)

LNSTIW: Season 4 of "Bates Motel" is now available on Netflix, so I watch episode 4.01.

I've been watching TZ since my family's first television set, and like ST, it's been a part of the background of my life ever since.  But what amazes me most about the show is how it ages so well.   Despite dated references or social habits, the stories themselves are like Aesop's Fables.   You could show them to a 6 year old or a 60 year old and they will relate to it.  The 6 year old will enjoy the scares and the surprise 'twist' endings, and the 60 year old will appreciate the drama and the morality play aspect of it. 

They've tried several times to resurrect the show (a halfway decent version in the '80s and a time waster in 2002) but neither of them captured the suspense or the powerful, almost 'film noir' feeling of the original.   I doubt they ever could; it was truly lightning in a bottle.  And there's no need to try really, since the originals still work.

Sim   
1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I've been watching TZ since my family's first television set, and like ST, it's been a part of the background of my life ever since.  But what amazes me most about the show is how it ages so well.   Despite dated references or social habits, the stories themselves are like Aesop's Fables.   You could show them to a 6 year old or a 60 year old and they will relate to it.  The 6 year old will enjoy the scares and the surprise 'twist' endings, and the 60 year old will appreciate the drama and the morality play aspect of it. 

They've tried several times to resurrect the show (a halfway decent version in the '80s and a time waster in 2002) but neither of them captured the suspense or the powerful, almost 'film noir' feeling of the original.   I doubt they ever could; it was truly lightning in a bottle.  And there's no need to try really, since the originals still work.

Yes... and sometimes, it feels almost like classic theatre... the drama comes from the characters and their acting, rather than evoking tension with all kinds of stunts or f/x. That adds to the timelessness, too. Sometimes I miss that in modern productions.

Guess I'll rather not binge the 5th season ... better watch it in small doses, an episode here and there as special treat. That way, I can enjoy it longer, before I've seen it all. :laugh:

15 minutes ago, Sim said:

Yes... and sometimes, it feels almost like classic theatre... the drama comes from the characters and their acting, rather than evoking tension with all kinds of stunts or f/x. That adds to the timelessness, too. Sometimes I miss that in modern productions.

Guess I'll rather not binge the 5th season ... better watch it in small doses, an episode here and there as special treat. That way, I can enjoy it longer, before I've seen it all. :laugh:

When I was a kid, we never saw them in order; they were syndicated at random.   To this day, I still don’t really know which episodes belong to which seasons (except for the hour-long 4th year) because we watched them in haphazard order.    Even my forty-odd DVDs of the show are all random groupings of episodes per disc...:laugh:

Sim   
2 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

When I was a kid, we never saw them in order; they were syndicated at random.   To this day, I still don’t really know which episodes belong to which seasons (except for the hour-long 4th year) because we watched them in haphazard order.    Even my forty-odd DVDs of the show are all random groupings of episodes per disc...:laugh:

:laugh: And I almost feel like a snob ... because unlike most other people who ever watched the show, my first viewing of most episodes is in HD 1080p blu ray... :giggle:

1 minute ago, Sim said:

:laugh: And I almost feel like a snob ... because unlike most other people who ever watched the show, my first viewing of most episodes is in HD 1080p blu ray... :giggle:

I’m still watching my scuzzy, outdated, analog, random order 480p DVDs; pretty much the same way we watched them when my sisters and I were kids...

dana-carvey-grumpy-old-man-and-we-liked- :laugh: :P

kenman   

I grew up on the Twilight Zone too, my mom loves it, so I remember it being the only thing on at New Years Eve.  I don't think I know how to ring in a new Year other than an episode or two of the Twilight Zone.  I hope to someday get the blu-rays, but for the time being Netflix has the HD remasters!

Last show I watched was starting up "Master of None" on Netflix with the wife. It's a decent sitcom.  And then I for some reason popped on the Seventh Doctor serial "Paradise Towers" just because I needed a bit of McCoy...as I am currently reading the Seventh Doctor comic strip run...needed his voice!