J_Chaney

What was the last non-Trek tv show you watched?

4,322 posts in this topic

Watched episode 3 of the new MST3K, the Time Travellers. Really funny stuff. 

35 minutes ago, kenman said:

Watched episode 3 of the new MST3K, the Time Travellers. Really funny stuff. 

So far that one's been my favorite; they've ALL been excellent so far (I'm up to E7 now), but "Time Travelers" ranked among the best of the entire series IMO.

I couldn't be more pleased with how Kickstarter/Netflix and everyone involved with this project succeeded in resurrecting this show; they got the feel/energy/humor of it so right.  An absolutely brilliant job!  

LNSTSIW:

Well, MST3K: The Return (just finished "The Land That Time Forgot") 

and last night I watched "Better Call Saul" 3.2.   

I finally started House of Cards' season 4 and SO MUCH CLAIRE. This is not helping with this crush of mine. Not complaining, of course. :angel_not: 

I'm still enjoying the now very clear soap opera direction of the show, but I guess I'm the only one who does...

Posted (edited)

On 18.4.2017 at 1:33 AM, kenman said:

Yea I dunno...Bill sounded perfectly clear to me. But I've been watching British shows on TV since I was a kid, so it could be that I am just used to it all.  Like I said I have only struggled with one show early on.  So maybe it just isn't as much of an issue for me. 

On 16.4.2017 at 3:14 PM, Sehlat Vie said:

More "Mystery Science Theatre 3000: The Return," on Netflix ("Beast of Hollow Mountain").    It's so good to have original episodes of MST3K again! :clap:

30-mystery-science-theater.w710.h473.jpg

Also watched, Doctor Who "The Pilot" (2017).
Really liked Bill Potts, the new companion.   Just right off loved her.   No warmup required. :thumbup:

TELEMMGLPICT000125286100-large_trans_NvB

****** MINOR SPOILERS *******

Also like the visual references to Susan and River, as well as the Doctor taking the Tardis to the Movellans' stalemated war with the Daleks (from the Tom Baker/Romana II era-story "Destiny of the Daleks").   Just seeing Susan's pic on his desk, and the glimpse of the fleeing Movellans in the corridors of Skaro were nice bits of fan service that fit the story well.    This new season is off to a great start.

Yay! Amazon Germany offers season 10 in the original version! Not sure if "The Pilot" was uploaded Monday or Tuesday, but at any rate, it was available this morning.

Okay, I had to pay €32 for the entire season, but hey, at least I don't have to wait or use weird methods to watch it. :thumbup:

So, I just watched "The Pilot". Was an absolutely decent start for Bill IMO. The story wasn't really breathtaking, appeared to me like a remix of elements from that Mars special episode with Tennant and TNG "Aquiel"... but as an introduction for Bill, it was decent enough.

I'm not sure yet if I like her... too early to tell. She doesn't give me the "immediate impressed" vibe as Clara or Rose, but then, I like her more on first glance than Amy or especially Donna (ugh).

Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't offer any subtitles -- neither English nor German -- with the original language version.

Watching the original English version isn't always easy for me, because all involved speak rather quickly and there are wordplays you can easily miss when you're still busy processing the content of what was said... and yes, there is Bill's accent. I didn't find it too hard to understand (I just remember trying to understand "The Wire" in English -- I didn't understand a single word :P ... Bill is much better already), but I'm sure I didn't get everything she said. She's definitely harder to understand than others... but I'm glad they're showing dialects at all, and British dialects are nice for a change, compared to American productions. ;)

Guess I'm going to watch season 10 in the original version on my own, and later, when the German dubbing will be available, I'm going to rewatch it with my wife. She's not into watching original English stuff, missing too much of the content destroys the experience for her. So then I'll have a chance to catch up everything I missed the first time. ;)

Edited by Sim

"Designated Survivor", episode 1.14.

And wife and I continued "Battlestar Galactica": Episodes 3.20 and 4.01. Damn amazing season finale! The ethno version of "All Along the Watchtower" is a real earworm...

I've no watched the opening episode of the new series of Doctor Who three times. It has been a while since I've done that this quickly after it premiered.  I really enjoy it!  I think it may be that this series is coinciding with me in a pretty big Doctor Who mood. 

I'm almost done with House of Cards 4th season and THIS IS FINE JUST FINE JUST TEAR ME APART NEVER MIND MY POOR SHIPPER SOUL.

*crawling on the floor* just fiiiiiiine never miiiiiind

I never knew it hurts even more when your OTP is canon (my OTPs don't tend to be canon due to their m/m nature and I therefore hardly ever experience this).

MeechumHand-3a.pngMeechumHand-1a.png

This SHOW. I can't DEAL with what it's doing to me and how this pairing hits HOME for me. How do people not like it, I'm very much enjoying the 4th season, but then I always love the seasons everyone else seems to dislike, it's a universal constant, almost. :P

2 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

I'm almost done with House of Cards 4th season and THIS IS FINE JUST FINE JUST TEAR ME APART NEVER MIND MY POOR SHIPPER SOUL.

I never knew it hurts even more when your OTP is canon (my OTPs don't tend to be canon due to their m/m nature and I therefore hardly ever experience this).

This SHOW. I can't DEAL with what it's doing to me and how this pairing hits HOME for me. How do people not like it, I'm very much enjoying the 4th season, but then I always love the seasons everyone else seems to dislike, it's a universal constant, almost. :P

Ah, I can imagine how you celebrated! :laugh::thumbup:

And yeah, season 3 and 4 aren't bad ... I do like them. Just less than the first two seasons.

I'm curious where they're going to take us next season...

4 minutes ago, Sim said:

Ah, I can imagine how you celebrated! :laugh::thumbup:

And yeah, season 3 and 4 aren't bad ... I do like them. Just less than the first two seasons.

I'm curious where they're going to take us next season...

I'm curious as well. I know many folks are concerned about the show's direction, but I for one have no complaints. I get why the first two seasons are different in style (although the fourth picks up some of the old threads and schemes again), it's a necessity writing-wise, but I can see why some folks didn't exactly find the change of pace and direction very appealing.

I just wrote a House of Cards ficlet, which totally shows how much the whole Underwood/Meechum thing has impacted me what is this show doing to me

6 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

And, as often happens, the new insight you bring to an unloved season usually forces me to reevaluate it and see it from a different perspective.   That moment above was, IMO, one of the more interesting (and heartbreaking) arcs of the season; just that shot of Frank placing his hand on the spot on the wall was devastating.   Also liked how Frank's hair got grayer and grayer; that's something that has happened to most US presidents (though our the latest one dyes his hair and wears tanning spray, so we may never know anymore... :giggle:  ). 

I'll probably give S4 a rewatch before the new season comes out...

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

And, as often happens, the new insight you bring to an unloved season usually forces me to reevaluate it and see it from a different perspective.   That moment above was, IMO, one of the more interesting (and heartbreaking) arcs of the season; just that shot of Frank placing his hand on the spot on the wall was devastating.   Also liked how Frank's hair got grayer and grayer; that's something that has happened to most US presidents (though our the latest one dyes his hair and wears tanning spray, so we may never know anymore... :giggle:  ). 

I'll probably give S4 a rewatch before the new season comes out...

I'm too much of a soap opera lover to not appreciate the style the show has now. I just finished the 4th season and the ending of the season finale was SO GOOD OH MY GOD I LOVED IT. I love the Evil Underwoods plotting to use a war to remain in power and both turning to the camera and being like WE ARE PURE EVIL AND WE LOVE IT. I cheered so loudly! They remind me of Jean-Luc and Alex from the Mirror Universe, except that Alex wouldn't look as good in Claire's outfits as she does. :laugh:

I LOVE THIS SERIES. I think it had me when that HNNNNNNG kissing scene in the kitchen happened and made my OTP canon it just got better and better from there. lol

"Battlestar Galactica", episode 4.02.

The final Mystery Science Theatre 3000: The Return episode ("At the Earth's Core", with Peter Cushing and Doug McClure) on Netflix.   I've been binge-watching the return of this show on my iPad all week; literally taking it with me from room to room when I move around.   Pure comic gold.  

Of all the nostalgic series' revivals I've seen in my lifetime, this ranks up there with 2005's Doctor Who as one of the all-time best.  Granted, MST3K is just a simple parody show that riffs on bad movies, but the new cast do excellent riffing and the whole feel of it brings back that wonderfully meta, subversive quality I fell in love with when I first discovered the original series (by accident) waaaay back in 1992.   It's also nice to see a few relatively higher profile faces who've loved the show over the years turn out for the revival (Mark Hamill's cameo in "Carnival Magic" episode was particularly unexpected).

Well done, Kickstarter and Netflix. 

Rewatched new "Doctor Who", episodes 9.07 and 9.08: "The Zygon Invasion" and "The Zygon Inversion". Really outstanding episodes! Capaldi's best.

And I continued "Aquarius", episodes 1.07-1.09.

Doctor Who, "Smile" (2017). 

doctor-who-smile-promo-pics-1.jpg

At first, it felt like a reworking of the old Sylvester McCoy-era episode "Happiness Patrol" (I almost groaned aloud at the early similarities) but it rapidly turns into something very different and clever.    Still liking Bill quite a lot,  as well (her quip about the Doctor's running: "Like a penguin with its ass on fire..."  :giggle:).  More like this one, please.  

Finished season 1 of "Aquarius" with episodes 1.10-1.13.

Okay, it's a decent historical cop show, especially if you like David Duchovny. He plays a likable character, perhaps a tad too likable. And all the topics of that era come up: Hippies, drugs, social emancipation, civil rights, sexism at the workplace, Vietnam war, homophobia and so on. It's all there, and makes for an atmospheric watch. Especially the actor who plays Charles Manson isn't bad.

That said, most of the police work shown is rather conventional. First of all, it's still a cop show, and many plot elements and characterization of the cops was rather by-the-book.

It felt somewhat like "Fox Mulder as a conventional cop thrown into Mad Men-light" with a cool 60s soundtrack. :giggle:

But yeah, since I like Duchovny due to "The X-Files", that made it entertaining enough for me. I'm not sure if I had continued watching without him, but like that? Absolutely entertaining, even if it isn't stellar.

Just watched "Doctor Who" 10.02, "Smile".

Yeah, nice solid episode.

Pizza and tv ritual with my buddy: "The Man in the High Castle", episodes 1.04 and 1.05.

Doctor Who, Smile, for me as well. Enjoyed it and plan to give it a second watch and write up my review soon. 

Watched the first episode of the British series "The Fall" (2013) with Gillian Anderson.

It's a psycho thriller, Anderson playing a police investigator in Belfast chasing a sociopathic killer; the style of the show is very European, very dry visual and musical style, much focus on details in the life of the killer, almost intimate acting. The killer has at least as much, if not more screentime than Anderson's character. It reminds me of Scandinavian thrillers or even German ones (except German thrillers are usually not that good :P ).

Since the show is for free on Netflix, I thought I'd give it a try ... and so far, it seems okay. But I'm not totally convinced either. Guess it's something I need to be in the right mood for.

"The Fall", episode 1.02.

"Better Call Saul", episode 3.01. So great the show is back! :) Was a bit hard to remember all the details from season 2 that were picked up, though ... guess I should watch the "what happened before" summary soon.

And I started "Humans" with episode 1.01:
I like the setting, the 80s-like electronic music adds very well to the general flavor of the show, and quite a few smart ideas were brought up already. A very promising start! Looking forward to see the next episodes. :)

Bill Nye Saves the World on Netflix.  I needed the optimism. ;)

"Better Call Saul", episodes 3.02 and 3.03. Now I'm back into the show. Love it! :) Too bad I'll have to wait a week for the next episode...

And "Humans", episode 1.02. A most intriguing series indeed. I don't regret having bought the BDs.

"Better Call Saul" 3.3 and more of "Bill Nye Saves the World" on Netflix. 

"The Twilight Zone", episode 4.06 "Death Ship".

It's nice to get back into this classic show after a break. This episode is especially neat: I can see ideas that inspired TOS "The Cage" and DS9 "Children of Time" here. :)