J_Chaney

What was the last non-Trek tv show you watched?

4,107 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Just finished House of Cards season 3... and I liked it. Unpopular opinion, I guess - but from a writing point of view the slight shift in the narrative from power-hungry scheming to settling down and battling daily presidency issues makes sense. I can't fault them for going down this road although I get that this probably disappointed a lot of fans who expected the same scheming the previous two seasons had had. And I also don't mind the soap opera undertones but then I like (some) soap operas. 

I'll watch my Rose of Versailles DVDs before I start with season 4 though, I need something a little less exhausting now. :laugh: 

I think S3 and S4 of HOC might appeal to you specifically because of its increasingly 'nighttime soap' feel (like "Dallas"; another favorite of yours).  It lessens some of the dead seriousness of S1 and 2 and ups the camp a little bit; arguably to the show's favor or detriment, depending on one's personal tastes.   I still enjoyed S3 and 4, mind you; but I just missed the gravitas of those earlier years.  

And, of course, Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright could read the ingredients on a Heinz ketchup label and I'd probably still watch...:laugh:

40 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I think S3 and S4 of HOC might appeal to you specifically because of its increasingly 'nighttime soap' feel (like "Dallas"; another favorite of yours).  It lessens some of the dead seriousness of S1 and 2 and ups the camp a little bit; arguably to the show's favor or detriment, depending on one's personal tastes.   I still enjoyed S3 and 4, mind you; but I just missed the gravitas of those earlier years.  

And, of course, Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright could read the ingredients on a Heinz ketchup label and I'd probably still watch...:laugh:

A lot of people appear to compare Frank Underwood to JR Ewing, and yeah, they're on to something. I guess this is indeed why I still liked season 3 - it's like a darker and more modern Dallas, but with politics instead of oil. And since I also have a crush on Sue Ellen Ewing, the whole Claire Underwood crush makes even more sense to me now. :laugh: 

22 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

A lot of people appear to compare Frank Underwood to JR Ewing, and yeah, they're on to something. I guess this is indeed why I still liked season 3 - it's like a darker and more modern Dallas, but with politics instead of oil. And since I also have a crush on Sue Ellen Ewing, the whole Claire Underwood crush makes even more sense to me now. :laugh: 

Now HOC just needs a catchier theme...:dance:

"The Expanse", episodes 1.08-1.10.

So I finished season 1. Pretty intriguing series. There were a couple of rather pulpy moments towards the end, but on the bottom line, it was a great show. I also got the impression that the story topic is more interesting for the show than the characters, which doesn't have to be a pro or con... it's just what it is.

Tried out the IT Crowd. Despite a great comedic cast, so far (the first two episodes) the tone is just not for me. A few moments made me laugh or chuckle...but often it felt too broad or something. I dunno. Obvious or easy jokes like "you stole it? But thats stealing!" Ayoade is pretty talented, but I prefer his charicature of himself in panel shows and Travel Man and Gadget Man...so far this charicature of himself is not as funny to me. I might give it a few more chances...does anyone think it got better, or is it always like this? I'm not judging if your a fan. 

Yesterday, pizza and tv with buddy:

"The Walking Dead", episodes 7.15 and 7.16, and "The Man in the High Castle" episode 1.03.

And wife and I finally managed to continue with "Battlestar Galactica", episodes 3.17 and 3.18.

The first three new episodes of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 on Netflix.  A more successful resurrection of an old TV series I've not seen.  This was perfection.  The new cast and crew felt like they'd been doing this for 10 years.   The third episode ("Time Travelers") is possibly one of the funniest MST3Ks I've ever seen (and yes, that includes "Manos" "Village of the Giants" and "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians").   Great job to all involved!  

More "Mystery Science Theatre 3000: The Return," on Netflix ("Beast of Hollow Mountain").    It's so good to have original episodes of MST3K again! :clap:

30-mystery-science-theater.w710.h473.jpg

Also watched, Doctor Who "The Pilot" (2017).
Really liked Bill Potts, the new companion.   Just right off loved her.   No warmup required. :thumbup:

TELEMMGLPICT000125286100-large_trans_NvB

****** MINOR SPOILERS *******

Also like the visual references to Susan and River, as well as the Doctor taking the Tardis to the Movellans' stalemated war with the Daleks (from the Tom Baker/Romana II era-story "Destiny of the Daleks").   Just seeing Susan's pic on his desk, and the glimpse of the fleeing Movellans in the corridors of Skaro were nice bits of fan service that fit the story well.    This new season is off to a great start.

7 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

More "Mystery Science Theatre 3000: The Return," on Netflix ("Beast of Hollow Mountain").    It's so good to have original episodes of MST3K again! :clap:

Really liked Bill Potts, the new companion.   Just right off loved her.   No warmup required. :thumbup:

Also like the visual references to Susan and River, as well as the Doctor taking the Tardis to the Movellans' stalemated war with the Daleks (from the Tom Baker/Romana II era-story "Destiny of the Daleks").   Just seeing Susan's pic on his desk, and the glimpse of the fleeing Movellans in the corridors of Skaro were nice bits of fan service that fit the story well.    This new season is off to a great start.

Can't wait to see the new episodes... but rumors have it they won't come to Germany within the next three months or so. :(

But then, many websites, even reputable ones, explain how you can bypass the regional IP locking of the BBC media store where it's available -- apparently, proxy redirection is legal in Germany. Maybe I'll try that after all? Let's see if I'm patient enough to wait for more convenient venues, or if my curiosity wins ... :D

I've started re-watching my "Fall Of Eagles" DVDs. Still one of my all time favorite series.

Also, PANCAKES.

Pancake.png

2 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

I've started re-watching my "Fall Of Eagles" DVDs. Still one of my all time favorite series.

Also, PANCAKES.

Pancake.png

I almost didn't recognize you-know-who... :ohmy:

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I almost didn't recognize you-know-who... :ohmy:

The voice gives you-know-who away, though. ;)

5 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

The voice gives you-know-who away, though. ;)

He seems very magnetic as Lenin.  I had no idea he'd ever tackled this role... I need to peruse his filmography again sometime.  Also wondering about the guy playing Leon Trotsky as well.   I'm very curious about this film.  Thanks for the unintentional recommendation.  

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

He seems very magnetic as Lenin.  I had no idea he'd ever tackled this role... I need to peruse his filmography again sometime.  Also wondering about the guy playing Leon Trotsky as well.   I'm very curious about this film.  Thanks for the unintentional recommendation.  

It's a TV series, actually - it tackles the historic events that lead to the fall of monarchies in Germany, Austria and Russia. It's very much like I Claudius when it comes to style (it's like a stage-play in many ways although it also has scenes shot outside) and also acting-skill wise, you have the finest of the finest of British theater folks interacting with each other. I can really only highly recommend it. It starts out a little slow, the first episode is a bit of a draaaaaaag (it's set in Austria and nothing really happens lol) but it picks up the pace in the second episode already (that one's set in Prussia and Bismarck throws a lot of vases, haha).

17 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

It's a TV series, actually - it tackles the historic events that lead to the fall of monarchies in Germany, Austria and Russia. It's very much like I Claudius when it comes to style (it's like a stage-play in many ways although it also has scenes shot outside) and also acting-skill wise, you have the finest of the finest of British theater folks interacting with each other. I can really only highly recommend it. It starts out a little slow, the first episode is a bit of a draaaaaaag (it's set in Austria and nothing really happens lol) but it picks up the pace in the second episode already (that one's set in Prussia and Bismarck throws a lot of vases, haha).

And I love "I, Claudius." :thumbup:

And pacing doesn't bother me, if the story and actors are compelling enough.  

2 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

And I love "I, Claudius." :thumbup:

And pacing doesn't bother me, if the story and actors are compelling enough.  

Both are, history is always a good story and the actors are all absolutely excellent - they're theater folks, give them something decent to work with and they make it as memorable as possible. :)

Latest I have watched is the first episode and half of MST3K (I will probably finish episode 2 today, but work, Doctor Who, and Easter have sort of interupted me). And obviously I watched the latest episode of "Doctor Who." The wife and I also caught up on "The Mick."

Posted (edited)

Doctor Who: The Pilot. I loved the photos, although the exact battle they visited escaped me. I like Bill, even if her masculine name bothers me for some reason I can't quite fathom.

Recently I've also seen the first two episodes of Victoria, an 8 episode miniseries starring Jenna Coleman. Very good, if you like historical docudramas like I do.

Edited by maneth

On 4/16/2017 at 9:14 AM, Sehlat Vie said:

Funny.  I am the opposite on Bill.  I find her somewhat annoying and truth be told I can't understand some of her dialect. Have to reverse the DVR and replay it two or three times to understand some of her dialogue. I hope her accent gets somewhat more understandable.   Maybe over time it will change.

4 hours ago, kc1966 said:

Funny.  I am the opposite on Bill.  I find her somewhat annoying and truth be told I can't understand some of her dialect. Have to reverse the DVR and replay it two or three times to understand some of her dialogue. I hope her accent gets somewhat more understandable.   Maybe over time it will change.

I didn't have an issue with her accent at all.  I understood it quite clearly. Oddly enough the only time I have ever had an issue watching a British show and struggling wit hthe accents?  Peter Capaldi on "The Thick of It."  I found that show really hard (though rewarding) at first, as the accents were thick, they were discussing a political system I wasn't too familiar with at first, and there were talking quietly a lot. 

1 hour ago, kenman said:

I didn't have an issue with her accent at all.  I understood it quite clearly. Oddly enough the only time I have ever had an issue watching a British show and struggling wit hthe accents?  Peter Capaldi on "The Thick of It."  I found that show really hard (though rewarding) at first, as the accents were thick, they were discussing a political system I wasn't too familiar with at first, and there were talking quietly a lot. 

Strange.  I've never had a problem with him.  Diversity and all that, I guess!

Just now, kc1966 said:

Strange.  I've never had a problem with him.  Diversity and all that, I guess!

I've never struggled with him as the Doctor, but I did have some issues early on with "The Thick of It."  I got better at it as I went through the show, but I remember early episodes I was struggling and considered turning on subtitles!

1 hour ago, kenman said:

Maybe I've just known (and hung out with) a lot of Brits in my time, but I didn't have any trouble with her dialect either.  Could also be that my own dad had a thick accent, so I'm kind of used to accents other than North American (as a little boy, I had a bit of a Québécois accent, but I lost it many many years ago).

Just now, Sehlat Vie said:

Maybe I've just known (and hung out with) a lot of Brits in my time, but I didn't have any trouble with her dialect either.  Could also be that my own dad had a thick accent, so I'm kind of used to accents other than North American (as a little boy, I had a bit of a Québécois accent, but I lost it many many years ago).

Yea I dunno...Bill sounded perfectly clear to me. But I've been watching British shows on TV since I was a kid, so it could be that I am just used to it all.  Like I said I have only struggled with one show early on.  So maybe it just isn't as much of an issue for me. 

"Battlestar Galactica", episode 3.19: "Crossroads, Part 1".