J_Chaney

What was the last non-Trek tv show you watched?

4,013 posts in this topic

"Battlestar Galactica", episode 3.14.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

My pizza and tv buddy was here, and because we want to wait until we got all four remaining "The Walking Dead" episodes to watch them at once, we started a new series (well, new for him):

"The Man in the High Castle", episodes 1.01 and 1.02.

It's been more than a year since I watched the first season, and upon a 2nd viewing even liked it more. It's very effectively paced, features very relatable characters and especially shows a huge love for details: For example, I only now realized that the copy of "Huckleberry Finn" Joe reads to his nephew in season 2 is the book he bought in the Neutral Zone in episode 1.02. Or, if I'm not entirely mistaken, that the title theme of the fictional Nazi-American tv show "American Reich Cops" is taken from a very famous 1960s' German cop show. And that other show on fictional Nazi tv, "who am I?" -- did that format exist in America too, or did they adopt it from the West-German show of the 70s? Someone on TMITHC really did research! :thumbup:

The scene when the prisoner tells resignating Frank "the world isn't bad because bad people do evil things, but because too many good people do nothing", and Frank's response is just a very painful scream, was extremely intense.

Really an absolute must-watch show for me, among the top of my currently running favorites.

Edited by Sim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

"The Expanse", episodes 1.02 and 1.03.

Very entertaining, and makes me curious for more! I'm still not sure which character to focus on, except perhaps the investigator. But the story takes shape: Elements of a political thriller, a noir/hard boiled-like investigator searching for the daughter of a rich and powerful family, a space freighter crew -- all that in a dark hard-SF setting. But the greatest strength of the show are, so far, the amazing visuals and captivating atmosphere. It's most definitely beautiful to look at, and the atmosphere is very impressive. The mix of futuristic design and technology with filthy labor roughness is surprisingly very convincing -- and that's something, because such a mix fails more often than it does not. Perhaps there are even some nods to the "Blade Runner" design.

So yeah, I'm definitely hooked, for the time being.

Edited by Sim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first half of the extended version of the BSG series finale "Daybreak"; despite the naysayers, I still think it was a near-perfect finale to this extraordinary TV show.  To be honest, I can't think of too many other ways it could've ended that would've worked in the context of the show.  Most of the loose ends were tied up, the flashbacks provided valuable insight into how these characters became the people we see at the end, and the 'flash forward' at the end wrapped the whole thing up in a modern-day relevance missing from most space operas. 

I loved it then, and I still love it now. 

So say we all...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

The first half of the extended version of the BSG series finale "Daybreak"; despite the naysayers, I still think it was a near-perfect finale to this extraordinary TV show.  To be honest, I can't think of too many other ways it could've ended that would've worked in the context of the show.  Most of the loose ends were tied up, the flashbacks provided valuable insight into how these characters became the people we see at the end, and the 'flash forward' at the end wrapped the whole thing up in a modern-day relevance missing from most space operas. 

I loved it then, and I still love it now. 

So say we all...

I've only seen it once, two years ago, but I was blown away. One of the most perfect endings for a tv show I've ever seen, IMO. I loved the mind-f***ing caleidoscope of "everything that happens has happened a thousand times before", the allusions to several elements from various world religions, which then even neatly allows to tie in the new show into the original 1978 show -- and our "real" universe. Really great stuff, IMO. For a SF show that had been strongly inspired by a Biblical myth, that was more than appropriate.

Had an earworm of (the Jimi Hendrix version of) "All Along the Watchtower" for days... :thumbup:

Edited by Sim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Sim said:

I've only seen it once, two years ago, but I was blown away. One of the most perfect endings for a tv show I've ever seen, IMO. I loved the mind-f***ing caleidoscope of "everything that happens has happened a thousand times before", the allusions to several elements from various world religions, which then even neatly allows to tie in the new show into the original 1978 show -- and our "real" universe. Really great stuff, IMO. For a SF show that had been strongly inspired by a Biblical myth, that was more than appropriate.

Had an earworm of (the Jimi Hendrix version of) "All Along the Watchtower" for days... :thumbup:

And I can accept the theological underpinnings of the show (including Starbuck's 'disappearance') in the same way I can 'believe' in the force for the two hours I watch Star Wars; willing suspension of one's own disbelief in the service of entertainment.   BSG (old and new) has always had that mystical, theological subtext and I'm perfectly okay with that.  

I still remember my wife and I vacationing in NYC a couple months after the finale aired and I actually saw a newsstand in Times Square New York in the approximate spot we saw in the coda (even though the TV show used Vancouver for NYC); I giggled to myself and even took a picture of it.   Part of me half expected to see "angel" Six talking to "angel" Baltar... :giggle:

Vancouverised version:

med_gallery_332_6324.jpgmed_gallery_332_23998.jpg

 

.... and the real thing.    Yes, I'm THAT geeky.  :P

 

16412445951_dc85f8d269.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quantum Leap.....things gone a little Kaakaa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

And I can accept the theological underpinnings of the show (including Starbuck's 'disappearance') in the same way I can 'believe' in the force for the two hours I watch Star Wars; willing suspension of one's own disbelief in the service of entertainment.   BSG (old and new) has always had that mystical, theological subtext and I'm perfectly okay with that.  

I still remember my wife and I vacationing in NYC a couple months after the finale aired and I actually saw a newsstand in Times Square New York in the approximate spot we saw in the coda (even though the TV show used Vancouver for NYC); I giggled to myself and even took a picture of it.   Part of me half expected to see "angel" Six talking to "angel" Baltar... :giggle:

Vancouverised version:

med_gallery_332_6324.jpgmed_gallery_332_23998.jpg

 

.... and the real thing.    Yes, I'm THAT geeky.  :P

 

16412445951_dc85f8d269.jpg

 

That's pretty cool!

It's not possible to be too geeky. If at all, it's the others who aren't geeky enough ... :laugh:

 

We continued "Battlestar Galactica" as well: Episodes 3.15-3.17.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Quantum Leap.....things gone a little Kaakaa

I freaking love that show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, kenman said:

I freaking love that show. 

Me too.  Own three of the seasons on DVD.   As time travel shows go, it's not quite Doctor Who in sophistication or execution, but it was a nice little slice of sentimental Americana scifi.   The chemistry of Sam (Scott Bakula) and Al (Dean Stockwell) really made the series.  

My favorites were the two-parter when Sam leapt into himself as a 16 year old kid and tried to stop his brother from going to Vietnam ("The Leap Home" parts 1 & 2) and the one where he leapt into the horror author on Halloween ("The Boogieman").    Also liked the series' finale ("Mirror Image").   

Ah, good times... :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Me too.  Own three of the seasons on DVD.   As time travel shows go, it's not quite Doctor Who in sophistication or execution, but it was a nice little slice of sentimental Americana scifi.   The chemistry of Sam (Scott Bakula) and Al (Dean Stockwell) really made the series.  

My favorites were the two-parter when Sam leapt into himself as a 16 year old kid and tried to stop his brother from going to Vietnam ("The Leap Home" parts 1 & 2) and the one where he leapt into the horror author on Halloween ("The Boogieman").    Also liked the series' finale ("Mirror Image").   

Ah, good times... :thumbup:

There are so many greats, but I think it is sort of amazing that with practically a new setting, story, and sometimes even storytelling style each week, with only two regular characters, that they somehow remained strong and consistent from start to finish...I would even argue the final season might've been the strongest.  I don't currently own it...but I am very tempted to buy the complete series on Blu-ray right now.  Especially as it, unlike the DVDs, has most of the original music cues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kenman said:

There are so many greats, but I think it is sort of amazing that with practically a new setting, story, and sometimes even storytelling style each week, with only two regular characters, that they somehow remained strong and consistent from start to finish...I would even argue the final season might've been the strongest.  I don't currently own it...but I am very tempted to buy the complete series on Blu-ray right now.  Especially as it, unlike the DVDs, has most of the original music cues.

QL is an anthology show, but with two continuing characters; a clever format. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The Walking Dead", episodes 7.13 and 7.14 with buddy and pizza.

It was okay. Sufficiently entertaining for that night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites