J_Chaney

What was the last non-Trek tv show you watched?

4,189 posts in this topic

"Battlestar Galactica", episode 3.14.

Posted (edited)

My pizza and tv buddy was here, and because we want to wait until we got all four remaining "The Walking Dead" episodes to watch them at once, we started a new series (well, new for him):

"The Man in the High Castle", episodes 1.01 and 1.02.

It's been more than a year since I watched the first season, and upon a 2nd viewing even liked it more. It's very effectively paced, features very relatable characters and especially shows a huge love for details: For example, I only now realized that the copy of "Huckleberry Finn" Joe reads to his nephew in season 2 is the book he bought in the Neutral Zone in episode 1.02. Or, if I'm not entirely mistaken, that the title theme of the fictional Nazi-American tv show "American Reich Cops" is taken from a very famous 1960s' German cop show. And that other show on fictional Nazi tv, "who am I?" -- did that format exist in America too, or did they adopt it from the West-German show of the 70s? Someone on TMITHC really did research! :thumbup:

The scene when the prisoner tells resignating Frank "the world isn't bad because bad people do evil things, but because too many good people do nothing", and Frank's response is just a very painful scream, was extremely intense.

Really an absolute must-watch show for me, among the top of my currently running favorites.

Edited by Sim

Posted (edited)

"The Expanse", episodes 1.02 and 1.03.

Very entertaining, and makes me curious for more! I'm still not sure which character to focus on, except perhaps the investigator. But the story takes shape: Elements of a political thriller, a noir/hard boiled-like investigator searching for the daughter of a rich and powerful family, a space freighter crew -- all that in a dark hard-SF setting. But the greatest strength of the show are, so far, the amazing visuals and captivating atmosphere. It's most definitely beautiful to look at, and the atmosphere is very impressive. The mix of futuristic design and technology with filthy labor roughness is surprisingly very convincing -- and that's something, because such a mix fails more often than it does not. Perhaps there are even some nods to the "Blade Runner" design.

So yeah, I'm definitely hooked, for the time being.

Edited by Sim

The first half of the extended version of the BSG series finale "Daybreak"; despite the naysayers, I still think it was a near-perfect finale to this extraordinary TV show.  To be honest, I can't think of too many other ways it could've ended that would've worked in the context of the show.  Most of the loose ends were tied up, the flashbacks provided valuable insight into how these characters became the people we see at the end, and the 'flash forward' at the end wrapped the whole thing up in a modern-day relevance missing from most space operas. 

I loved it then, and I still love it now. 

So say we all...

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

The first half of the extended version of the BSG series finale "Daybreak"; despite the naysayers, I still think it was a near-perfect finale to this extraordinary TV show.  To be honest, I can't think of too many other ways it could've ended that would've worked in the context of the show.  Most of the loose ends were tied up, the flashbacks provided valuable insight into how these characters became the people we see at the end, and the 'flash forward' at the end wrapped the whole thing up in a modern-day relevance missing from most space operas. 

I loved it then, and I still love it now. 

So say we all...

I've only seen it once, two years ago, but I was blown away. One of the most perfect endings for a tv show I've ever seen, IMO. I loved the mind-f***ing caleidoscope of "everything that happens has happened a thousand times before", the allusions to several elements from various world religions, which then even neatly allows to tie in the new show into the original 1978 show -- and our "real" universe. Really great stuff, IMO. For a SF show that had been strongly inspired by a Biblical myth, that was more than appropriate.

Had an earworm of (the Jimi Hendrix version of) "All Along the Watchtower" for days... :thumbup:

Edited by Sim

20 minutes ago, Sim said:

I've only seen it once, two years ago, but I was blown away. One of the most perfect endings for a tv show I've ever seen, IMO. I loved the mind-f***ing caleidoscope of "everything that happens has happened a thousand times before", the allusions to several elements from various world religions, which then even neatly allows to tie in the new show into the original 1978 show -- and our "real" universe. Really great stuff, IMO. For a SF show that had been strongly inspired by a Biblical myth, that was more than appropriate.

Had an earworm of (the Jimi Hendrix version of) "All Along the Watchtower" for days... :thumbup:

And I can accept the theological underpinnings of the show (including Starbuck's 'disappearance') in the same way I can 'believe' in the force for the two hours I watch Star Wars; willing suspension of one's own disbelief in the service of entertainment.   BSG (old and new) has always had that mystical, theological subtext and I'm perfectly okay with that.  

I still remember my wife and I vacationing in NYC a couple months after the finale aired and I actually saw a newsstand in Times Square New York in the approximate spot we saw in the coda (even though the TV show used Vancouver for NYC); I giggled to myself and even took a picture of it.   Part of me half expected to see "angel" Six talking to "angel" Baltar... :giggle:

Vancouverised version:

med_gallery_332_6324.jpgmed_gallery_332_23998.jpg

.... and the real thing.    Yes, I'm THAT geeky.  :P

16412445951_dc85f8d269.jpg

Quantum Leap.....things gone a little Kaakaa

10 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

And I can accept the theological underpinnings of the show (including Starbuck's 'disappearance') in the same way I can 'believe' in the force for the two hours I watch Star Wars; willing suspension of one's own disbelief in the service of entertainment.   BSG (old and new) has always had that mystical, theological subtext and I'm perfectly okay with that.  

I still remember my wife and I vacationing in NYC a couple months after the finale aired and I actually saw a newsstand in Times Square New York in the approximate spot we saw in the coda (even though the TV show used Vancouver for NYC); I giggled to myself and even took a picture of it.   Part of me half expected to see "angel" Six talking to "angel" Baltar... :giggle:

Vancouverised version:

med_gallery_332_6324.jpgmed_gallery_332_23998.jpg

.... and the real thing.    Yes, I'm THAT geeky.  :P

16412445951_dc85f8d269.jpg

That's pretty cool!

It's not possible to be too geeky. If at all, it's the others who aren't geeky enough ... :laugh:

We continued "Battlestar Galactica" as well: Episodes 3.15-3.17.

6 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Quantum Leap.....things gone a little Kaakaa

I freaking love that show. 

50 minutes ago, kenman said:

I freaking love that show. 

Me too.  Own three of the seasons on DVD.   As time travel shows go, it's not quite Doctor Who in sophistication or execution, but it was a nice little slice of sentimental Americana scifi.   The chemistry of Sam (Scott Bakula) and Al (Dean Stockwell) really made the series.  

My favorites were the two-parter when Sam leapt into himself as a 16 year old kid and tried to stop his brother from going to Vietnam ("The Leap Home" parts 1 & 2) and the one where he leapt into the horror author on Halloween ("The Boogieman").    Also liked the series' finale ("Mirror Image").   

Ah, good times... :thumbup:

18 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Me too.  Own three of the seasons on DVD.   As time travel shows go, it's not quite Doctor Who in sophistication or execution, but it was a nice little slice of sentimental Americana scifi.   The chemistry of Sam (Scott Bakula) and Al (Dean Stockwell) really made the series.  

My favorites were the two-parter when Sam leapt into himself as a 16 year old kid and tried to stop his brother from going to Vietnam ("The Leap Home" parts 1 & 2) and the one where he leapt into the horror author on Halloween ("The Boogieman").    Also liked the series' finale ("Mirror Image").   

Ah, good times... :thumbup:

There are so many greats, but I think it is sort of amazing that with practically a new setting, story, and sometimes even storytelling style each week, with only two regular characters, that they somehow remained strong and consistent from start to finish...I would even argue the final season might've been the strongest.  I don't currently own it...but I am very tempted to buy the complete series on Blu-ray right now.  Especially as it, unlike the DVDs, has most of the original music cues.

2 hours ago, kenman said:

There are so many greats, but I think it is sort of amazing that with practically a new setting, story, and sometimes even storytelling style each week, with only two regular characters, that they somehow remained strong and consistent from start to finish...I would even argue the final season might've been the strongest.  I don't currently own it...but I am very tempted to buy the complete series on Blu-ray right now.  Especially as it, unlike the DVDs, has most of the original music cues.

QL is an anthology show, but with two continuing characters; a clever format. 

"The Walking Dead", episodes 7.13 and 7.14 with buddy and pizza.

It was okay. Sufficiently entertaining for that night.

I finally finished watching all my Remington Steele DVDs yesterday... good series, some of it (naturally) outdated and very 80s but overall very much okay. :)

I just watched the final ever episode of "Bones". Season 12, episode 12 'The End in the End'.

Was a very fitting end to the show, even though I am still not ready for it to be over. Watching a show like that week in week out for 12 years makes it become part of your life (I know that sounds silly). I may just have to start watching them all again from the beginning sometime.

Doctor Who, "Pyramids of Mars" (1975).  

doctor-who-pyramids-of-mars.jpg

One of my all-time favorites, which was gloriously sequelled in the Titan comics 10th Doctor series.   This is my personal favorite era of the classic series, and it yielded so many good stories in rapid succession ("Genesis of the Daleks" "Ark in Space" "Seeds of Doom" "Horror of Fang Rock" Pyramids of Mars" "Brain of Morbius" "Talons of Weng Chiang" "Terror of the Zygons" etc).   It was arguably the most fruitful era of the classic series (certainly it was for me).  

It was indeed a lump-in-my-throat moment to recently meet the DW producer/production designer of that very era: Philip Hinchcliffe, and Roger Murray-Leach (!). 

558b5bbc676fe4ea89005ef84a0aa7ea.jpg

^ I have my friend to thank for that moment; he helped me to get the courage to have the pic taken. :laugh:

In Trekkian terms, this was like meeting Gene L. Coon and Matt Jeffries. 

I decided to give "House of Cards" another chance, so I started to re-watch the first season and I like it MUCH better this time around. I have to put my phone away while watching, and I think this is why I couldn't get into it the first time - I was too distracted and you really need to pay attention to every single detail in every single episode, otherwise you'll get lost (especially when you're not from the US and not familiar with every single nuance of how politics work there). But once I paid REAL attention I also REALLY liked what I saw.

Also I have a MASSIVE crush on Claire Underwood is this wrong she's just so STUNNING hnnnnnng

18 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I decided to give "House of Cards" another chance, so I started to re-watch the first season and I like it MUCH better this time around. I have to put my phone away while watching, and I think this is why I couldn't get into it the first time - I was too distracted and you really need to pay attention to every single detail in every single episode, otherwise you'll get lost (especially when you're not from the US and not familiar with every single nuance of how politics work there). But once I paid REAL attention I also REALLY liked what I saw.

Also I have a MASSIVE crush on Claire Underwood is this wrong she's just so STUNNING hnnnnnng

^
The first few seasons of the show are just brilliant; and yes, it does demand your full attention.  I used to watch it while pedaling on my exercise bike, so I'd give it my full concentration.  It was worth the attention investment, that's for sure.  

Ironically, given the current state of my country's politics?  Frank and Claire Underwood don't seem nearly so over-the-top or outrageous these days... Hell, I'd probably vote FOR them now, given our current alternative. :laugh:

LTIW:

Bonus features on the Rogue One bluray; my wife and I were a little disappointed by the relatively paltry featurettes on it.  Nothing really in depth, and no deleted scenes.   Some interesting behind-the-scenes shots here and there, but they're very random. Disney is doing right by the Star Wars movies so far, but their blurays and DVD bonus features kinda suck...

1 hour ago, Mr.Picard said:

Season 1 & 2 were really brilliant IMO, I thought this would be an über awesome series, but season 3 and 4 deteriorated considerably, it's become more of a "Machiavellist soap".

That said, I still like the show, even though it's no longer first tier for me, simply because i love the actors. I guess I'd even enjoy Spacey and Wright reading the phone book... :thumbup:

5 minutes ago, Sim said:

Season 1 & 2 were really brilliant IMO, I thought this would be an über awesome series, but season 3 and 4 deteriorated considerably, it's become more of a "Machiavellist soap".

That said, I still like the show, even though it's no longer first tier for me, simply because i love the actors. I guess I'd even enjoy Spacey and Wright reading the phone book... :thumbup:

I like 'Machiavellist soaps' (Dallas, anyone) so I just might be fine with the change. Not sure yet though. But Claire Underwood will probably make me watch it because YES PLEASE. I MEAN. Hnnng? Hnnng. I have heard that the quality drops though, it won't come as a surprise. I'm prepared to just stare at Claire all the time, haha.

2 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

I like 'Machiavellist soaps' (Dallas, anyone) so I just might be fine with the change. Not sure yet though. But Claire Underwood will probably make me watch it because YES PLEASE. I MEAN. Hnnng? Hnnng. I have heard that the quality drops though, it won't come as a surprise. I'm prepared to just stare at Claire all the time, haha.

Hard to believe she was once "Buttercup" in "The Princess Bride"; she's come a LONG way...

And it's really nice to see a beautiful woman on TV who is MY age for a change.   When you're middle-aged, it feels like mass media collectively tells you that you're no longer a sexual being or something.   Robin Wright is elegant, sexy and very much bucks that artificially-induced standard of sexuality seemingly ending at 35.    

Thank YOU, Robin... ;)

For the first time in a while, I watched tv again:

"Designated Survivor", episode 1.10 (I rewatched the last episode from before the break, in order to get into the show again) and the new episodes 1.11 and 1.12.

A bit superficial and far-fetched, style over substance -- but very effective popcorn entertainment. It's a sufficiently thrilling political thriller.  :laugh:

So... the VP is dead now? Hm, that was quick. I wonder what's next?

Kind of gearing up for the new Doctor Who season, rewatched some more of Series 9, namely "The Girl Who Died" and "The Woman Who Lived."  Good pair of episodes, and I liked the set-up for Ashildr here, even though I think the ultimate payoff for her character at the end of the season didn't really land. 

Started a new series, because it's on Netflix Germany now: "Aquarius" with David Duchovny. You know, LA in 1967, Charles Manson and so on.

So far, I've seen episodes 1.01 and 1.02, and I like it.

I know the show got mixed reviews and was cancelled after season 2, but since it's for free and I'm curious about David Duchovny in a different role, I thought I give it a try. Plus I find the hippie culture and 60s a fascinating topic.

So on first glance? The actors give a decent impression, the story is sufficiently intriguing, I love the soundtrack (yay! 60s music! :) ), many contemporary topics come up -- drugs, racism, youth rebellion, Vietnam and so on --, though it's too early to tell after 2 episodes whether it'll all pay off.

The X-files.