J_Chaney

What was the last non-Trek tv show you watched?

4,266 posts in this topic

"When We Rise" part 1; an ABC miniseries chronicling the evolution of the Gay Rights Movement in the US.  Pretty good.  Covers a lot of the same territory as Sean Penn's "Milk" (2008), but still worthwhile.  Part 2 airs Weds night.

"Battlestar Galactica: Razor". It's the first time I watched this movie. Pretty nice addition to the series, IMO!

During my 5-6 day blackout at Trekcore (:(), I watched parts 3 and 4 of "When We Rise"; it got WAY better than its earlier parts.  Highly recommended!

Also saw the pilot/first episode 2 hour premiere of the new ABC series' "Time After Time" (based on the 1979 Nick Meyer movie).  

time-after-time-abc6-590x394.jpg

I originally saw the one-hour pilot at Comic Con last summer, and I enjoyed it; it's very faithful to the original film (not a big surprise, since the teleplay was also scripted by Nick Meyer!).  The first regular episode (which segued from the pilot) continued with the same feel and energy and provides a decent 'what-if?' extrapolation of the original movie's premise.

Not sure how long it'll last, but I'm enjoying what I'm seeing.

During my blackout of The Omega Sector...been a very Who kinda time.  Revisiting Tom Baker, first with "The Brain of Morbius," one of my favorites of his run, and then going through the whole of the Key to Time season (I am currently half way through the final story "The Armageddon Factor."

I watched the whole of season 1 of The Expanse and two eps of Legion. The Expanse needs its own thread. Legion doesn't.

Also watching the Oscar-winning OJ Simpson docu, which is fascinating. 

And Taboo. Has anyone else seen Taboo with Tom Hardy? It is the most ostentatious, ridiculous, meretricious, over-the-top, trashy piece of  period melodrama I've ever seen and it is completely and utterly entertaining from start to finish. Brilliant stuff. 

26 minutes ago, kenman said:

During my blackout of The Omega Sector...been a very Who kinda time.  Revisiting Tom Baker, first with "The Brain of Morbius," one of my favorites of his run, and then going through the whole of the Key to Time season (I am currently half way through the final story "The Armageddon Factor."

"Brain of Morbius" and "Pyramids of Mars" are two of my favorites of that era.   I actually watched a bit of "Armageddon Factor" during the recent Dr Who convention I attended in LA ("Gallifrey One"), and it's still as fun as it was then...

52 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

I watched the whole of season 1 of The Expanse and two eps of Legion. The Expanse needs its own thread. Legion doesn't.

I've heard very good things about "The Expanse", though from the same friend who praised "Justified"... which made me wonder if I can trust his taste this time...

Wife and I continued with "Battlestar Galactica" the past week: Episodes 2.18 to 3.06. The entire "New Caprica/Cylon occupation" arc. Great stuff!

And I finished the 1st season of "Westworld". Really loved the show, the answers in the end weren't disappointing at all, IMO. Though I feel making the show so deliberately inscrutable and interlaced during most of the season didn't really serve a purpose and was just straining after effect... but okay, it's a great enough show! :)

Forced myself through the latest Walking Dead episode yesterday. It was SO BORING and there was way too much unnecessary lame romance. And terrible CGI. Ugh. Dreadful. The last few episodes had been kinda okay and now this.

tumblr_mm1a28f0qh1qa601io2_250.gif

Gave up on TWD this season.  The premiere was too much.  Too brutal, too violent (even for TWD!) and the deaths, just... it was all too much.  Tempted to look again but, not sure if I will.

Oh yes, I watched "The Walking Dead" episodes 7.09 and 7.10 as well, last week.

A slight improvement over the weak first half of the season, but I'm not back in the convinced camp.

I've watched the show for too long to just give up on it, but I don't expect much from it anymore. 

Posted (edited)

"Battlestar Galactica", episode 3.07. An interesting take on a similar dilemma as in TNG's "I, Borg", IMO. Highlights how BSG isn't Star Trek. :laugh:

My wife told me, btw, that she really loves the show now. She said the first season was rather slow, but since the middle of season 2 or so? She pushes me towards watching more all the time ... :thumbup:

Edited by Sim

4 hours ago, Frontier said:

Gave up on TWD this season.  The premiere was too much.  Too brutal, too violent (even for TWD!) and the deaths, just... it was all too much.  Tempted to look again but, not sure if I will.

^
Me too.

The show's outlook has become as cavalier and sadistic as Negan's.  I've quit watching, and I don't even miss it frankly.

29 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
Me too.

The show's outlook has become as cavalier and sadistic as Negan's.  I've quit watching, and I don't even miss it frankly.

I hear that a lot. I have a friend and he and his wife were dedicated followers... and their interest has waned to the point that they stopped watching this season.

I wish I could quit watching The Walking Dead as well but, alas, not yet. It's like

tumblr_mdadiobaS81qf8gdj.gif

But hey, I at least managed to stop watching its even more horrible spin-off. That's gotta count for something, right? :P

1 hour ago, Mr.Picard said:

I wish I could quit watching The Walking Dead as well but, alas, not yet. It's like

But hey, I at least managed to stop watching its even more horrible spin-off. That's gotta count for something, right? :P

Hehe.... 

Yeah, I gave up on "Fear" after the 1st season.   S2 opened and it was even more boring.  I can't imagine sticking with it just for the sake of sticking with it.   Even TWD, which I used to love (even the graphic novels), I just couldn't well...to borrow from Mr Picard's GIF?  I just couldn't love it back.  :laugh:

LTIW:

Finally am getting back into HUMANS; watched 2.1 and have started 2.2.   Just as compelling as S1.  Nice to be back in that world...

4 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

I've been watching the last couple of seasons together with my pizza and tv-buddy, and his unbroken interest in the show kind of keeps alife mine.

Not sure if I'd continue without him ... but as it stands? I'm willing to give TWD another chance. But as far as I'm concerned, the show is on probation. Another sadism trip and/or an ongoing strain of ever the same? Then I'm out.

Last thing my wife and I watched: "Battlestar Galactica", episodes 3.08 and 3.09.

5 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

LTIW:

Finally am getting back into HUMANS; watched 2.1 and have started 2.2.   Just as compelling as S1.  Nice to be back in that world...

Looking forward to your thoughts on that... :thumbsup2:

47 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Looking forward to your thoughts on that... :thumbsup2:

After I watch a few more episodes, I'll probably do an extended blog entry on it.   It's well worth it.  S2.1 was excellent. :thumbup:

Last thing I watched was the second episode of the 3rd and final series of Broadchurch. Excellent stuff, back to it's best again!

"The Expanse", episode 1.01.

Promising first episode! It's indeed dark, and I'm not entirely into the new universe yet -- it's still too fresh --, but the first impression is that it's visually stunning and promising.

"Battlestar Galactica", episode 3.10.

HUMANS, S2.2 and 2.3.

Tomorrow I'm tackling 2.4 and then I'm all caught up for the new episodes (and my DVR is now set! Yay!!!).

Once I'm caught up, I will seek out "The Expanse"; based on the good buzz I'm hearing?  I might just buy S1 if I can find a cheap DVD copy.

Gone With The Wind on blu-ray. Beautiful.

My blackout time was spent watching Witch Hunter Robin on DVD for the first time in a number of years.

"The Walking Dead", episodes 7.11 and 7.12.

No longer a first tier series for me, but at least mildly entertaining.