J_Chaney

What was the last non-Trek tv show you watched?

4,012 posts in this topic

I loved his 'Jesus/Frankenstein' regeneration scene as well...:giggle:

Yeah, and on top that totally silly male nurse... hilarious! :thumbup:

While I've definitely seen worse, there are still things that make me roll my eyes while watching the Movie. The half human thing doesn't ever make sense in the context of the whole of the series, and not even within the film itself. Only a human or half human eye can open the Eye of Harmony? How does that make any sense in any way. And I've yet to figure out the whole atlmic clock subplot...lots of weird stuff that feels very much like several rewrites of several scripts that sort evolved into something that doesn't wholly work in my opinion. 

When I think of it as a pilot to a series that was never produced, I can easily forgive all that. It feels to me that they crammed a lot of ideas that don't make much sense on first glance into the movie, in order to set the stage for future plots once the series goes on air. I have the feeling they would have better explained much of it, had they been given the chance.

But then, I'm glad the series wasn't produced, because we got the much superior NuWho. A happy end after all! :D

I guess it would be similar if a pilot for "Star Trek: Phase 2" had been produced a couple of years prior to TNG ... I wonder how the franchise would have continued in that case...

I think the TV movie proved some things, in the UK there was still a lot of interest in the program, because it was a huge ratings hit (whereas it bombed in the US), and I think it gave them at least a light on for bringing it back.  Complex rights issues meant they couldn't really bring it back on their own I believe for a time.  But they kept it alive in comics and books (which must've sold decent, they kept em going for years), and then in 2001 McGann started fresh on Big Finish (Storm Warning is a highly superior pilot for his performance of the Doctor than the TV movie had been), and all of that kept the light alive until the BBC was ready for NuWho.  I think if the TV movie hadn't happened, it would be likely NuWho might not have happened. The time was not right in 1996, and the idea of an American co-production probably wasn't best for the series on the whole either.

I think the TV movie proved some things, in the UK there was still a lot of interest in the program, because it was a huge ratings hit (whereas it bombed in the US), and I think it gave them at least a light on for bringing it back.  Complex rights issues meant they couldn't really bring it back on their own I believe for a time.  But they kept it alive in comics and books (which must've sold decent, they kept em going for years), and then in 2001 McGann started fresh on Big Finish (Storm Warning is a highly superior pilot for his performance of the Doctor than the TV movie had been), and all of that kept the light alive until the BBC was ready for NuWho.  I think if the TV movie hadn't happened, it would be likely NuWho might not have happened. The time was not right in 1996, and the idea of an American co-production probably wasn't best for the series on the whole either.

^
I enjoyed the 1996 TV movie (despite its flaws) but I very much agree with KM that its biggest mistake was partnering with Fox TV.  Not to mention that it premiered opposite the then-huge hit American sitcom "Roseanne."   I also agree with Sim that as a 2nd pilot for the series, it was a promising start.  I've seen far worse pilots that yielded excellent series ("Encounter at Farpoint" was a rocky start for TNG in 1987), so I would've been more than willing to cut DW96 a bit of slack to develop itself from an ugly duckling phase of its slightly awkward pilot into the swan it could've been.

But it wasn't meant to be, I suppose.  But 2005 DW got the train back on the tracks, and thank goodness that the franchise didn't forget or ignore DW96 completely, as it very well could have.   McGann's Doctor is a part of the greater whole, and that's a good thing IMO.   Whatever flaws there were in DW96. McGann's Doctor was NOT one of them.

LNSTTVIW:

Real Time with Bill Maher on Friday night.  I've been at the Gallifrey One convention in LA since Saturday and haven't watched anything.  But I did see Paul McGann yesterday, both autographing and onstage.   He still looks every bit the Doctor to me.  When asked if he'd be up for a guest role as Doctor 8 again?  He said, "Oh yyyyeeeeeaaaaahhh."

Here's hoping he (and we) get his wish in a special "Two Doctors" episode someday...

"The Twilight Zone": "The Dummy".

"House of Cards", episodes 4.11 and 4.12.

"Westworld", episode 1.03. <--- Still intriguing! I like the idea about "bicameral mind theory"!

"Westworld", episode 1.04.

"The Twilight Zone": "Young Man's Fancy", "I Sing the Body Electric", "Cavender is Coming" and "The Changing of the Guard".

And I felt like rewatching some new "Doctor Who" with Matt Smith: "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship", "A Town Called Mercy" and "The Power of Three" from season 7.

"Westworld", episode 1.05. I've written a few (superficial) impressions in the Westworld thread. :)

BSG, "Maelstrom" "The Son Also Rises" and "Crossroads part 1"

My wife and I continued "Battlestar Galactica", too: Episode 2.10 "Pegasus".

The extended cut or the regular broadcast version?  The EC adds a good 15 minutes or so into the episode. 

The extended cut or the regular broadcast version?  The EC adds a good 15 minutes or so into the episode. 

The regular version... we didn't notice we also have the EC on Blu Ray, until we popped in the following disc... :/

Anyway, it's really thrilling! Too bad we had to make a break now... :laugh: Maybe we can continue tonight...

"Battlestar Galactica", episode 2.11: "Resurrection Ship, Part 1".

BSG, "Crossroads part 2" and "He That Believeth in Me."

"Westworld", episode 1.06.

And "Doctor Who", episode 7.05 "The Angels in Manhattan". No, Matt Smith really isn't my favorite Doctor.

Yay ! My DVD set of the super spy SEARCH TV Series from 1972 just arrived in time for the crazy Brazilian Carnaval holiday week ! Cant wait tio see these epiosdes again, which I have only saw them in the 1970s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axb1EiJdbCg

Gus

Skipped the Christmas special and directly went to "Doctor Who", episode 7.06: "The Bells of Saint John" and 7.07 "The Rings of Akhatan".

I like the second half of season 7 better than the first half. Not least because of Clara, I guess. But upon rewatching, I'm confirmed that Matt Smith is my least favorite new Doctor so far. His ADHD behavior and his silliness usually annoy me... don't get me wrong, I absolutely like silliness, it's just this particular kind of silliness I somehow don't find appealing. Hard to put a finger on it.

I'm really glad there is another season with Capaldi ahead of us, because together with David Tennant, he's my favorite Doctor. :)

"Battlestar Galactica", episodes 2.12 and 2.13, "Resurrection Ship, Part 2" and "Epiphanies".

Really strong series.

Skipped the Christmas special and directly went to "Doctor Who", episode 7.06: "The Bells of Saint John" and 7.07 "The Rings of Akhatan".

I like the second half of season 7 better than the first half. Not least because of Clara, I guess. But upon rewatching, I'm confirmed that Matt Smith is my least favorite new Doctor so far. His ADHD behavior and his silliness usually annoy me... don't get me wrong, I absolutely like silliness, it's just this particular kind of silliness I somehow don't find appealing. Hard to put a finger on it.

I'm really glad there is another season with Capaldi ahead of us, because together with David Tennant, he's my favorite Doctor. :)

While I generally feel that the Ponds should've exited at the end of Series 6, I do kind of like how they exited in Angels Take Manhattan. Just wish they had either left the Doctor and not returned to him at the end of Series 6 or some other way.  I do like the second half with Clara better than the first, but think it would've been far more cohesive and a little more fleshed out for both her character and the series arc if they had done a full 13 with her.  As for Smith, he was a nice change of pace from Tennant at the time, but I too would probably not put him near the top of my Doctors list.  I think his era should be praised for utilizing the momentum gained near the end of Tennant's run in America and really marketed it well (plus I'm sure that growing momentum from Tennant made this fresh new launch under Moffat and Smith easy for fans to get their friends in, I know I got my mom to watch it saying "don't worry about anything that came before, you can start fresh here, and she really enjoyed it).  Plus his era did have Moffat really experimenting with time travel craziness and storytelling, he did some new creative kind of stories in that vein,,,they didn't always work out, but I think he gave some crazy stuff a shot...better that than not trying.

While I generally feel that the Ponds should've exited at the end of Series 6, I do kind of like how they exited in Angels Take Manhattan. Just wish they had either left the Doctor and not returned to him at the end of Series 6 or some other way.  I do like the second half with Clara better than the first, but think it would've been far more cohesive and a little more fleshed out for both her character and the series arc if they had done a full 13 with her.  As for Smith, he was a nice change of pace from Tennant at the time, but I too would probably not put him near the top of my Doctors list.  I think his era should be praised for utilizing the momentum gained near the end of Tennant's run in America and really marketed it well (plus I'm sure that growing momentum from Tennant made this fresh new launch under Moffat and Smith easy for fans to get their friends in, I know I got my mom to watch it saying "don't worry about anything that came before, you can start fresh here, and she really enjoyed it).  Plus his era did have Moffat really experimenting with time travel craziness and storytelling, he did some new creative kind of stories in that vein,,,they didn't always work out, but I think he gave some crazy stuff a shot...better that than not trying.

Yeah, the great thing about Doctor Who is the potential for diversity. Matt Smith's Doctor was certainly very successful, not least when it comes to winning new fans ... especially younger fans, I guess. That's a good thing, even when I personally don't like his style.

Because, as always with Doctor Who, I know that no new style will be permanent, but after 4 years at least, we'll see a new lead actor and a new approach! No actor or style can be to everybody's taste, so it's great that change is a built-in feature. :thumbup:

At any rate, I'm more than satisfied with Capaldi, so I'm good. And no matter who follows him ... even if I happen to not like this new actor/actress or style, I won't need to worry, because chances are it'll be more to my taste thereafter again... :laugh:

Edited by Sim

"Doctor Who" episode 7.11 "Journey to the Centre of the Tardis".

And "Battlestar Galactica", episodes 2.14 and 2.15, "Black Market" and "Scar".

MacGyver, The Wish Child. Featuring memorable guest performances by George Takei and Tia Carrere.

The Academy Awards... a fairly routine show till that surprising and gratifying 'twist ending.'  If you haven't seen it, go to social media; I'm sure they're all talking about it now.  :laugh:

Watched the latest Walking Dead episode. I want to say boring but it was really intriguing. (Eugene is one of my favorites. Unpopular opinion, but I like him because he's relatable to me.)

"Battlestar Galactica", episodes 2.16 and 2.17, "Sacrifice" and "The Captain's Hand".

BSG, S4, "Faith"