Sign in to follow this  
Annika Hansen

The most disliked ST canon material

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

^ Most of them, IMO. I can't even watch most of them without going - "Are you effing *serious*? :laugh: Most of them, again, IMO, are terrible. Only about 5 - 10 of the episodes are worth any time at all. Again, for those who didn't catch it the first few times - IMO only.

I know, I know, look at the years they were made and what was available. Even though it was the Trek I watched first, I never liked it that much. Even when I was 5, I was like...a styrfoam rock...a bad costume...sometimes crappy acting. Back then...I watched it for Spock. :happy:

I even have trouble with the first season of TNG because its so TOS like. Last time i watched season 1, I was like hey, this is just like that one epsiode of TOS when...or...hey, listen to that noise! Sounds like TOS! Some of them had me LOLing because of how ridiculous I thought they were.

TOS is just not my cup o' tea.

What TOS episodes would have crappy scripts?

Spock's Brain, Turnabout Intruder for a start...

My least favorite Trek is the 3rd season of TOS, it's full of bad scripts and the finale is downright painful to watch.

I'm glad someone else said it first

My least favourite series is TOS. Some episodes are undoubtedly jewels in the Trek canon (Balance of Terror, The City on the Edge of Forever, The Doomsday Machine etc) but the majority of them are rehashes of the same unoriginal ideas and excuses for idiotic posturing about how Humanity is better than the rest of the galaxy. Not to mention the countless planets that were exact duplicates of 1920s Chicago, Nazi Germany, the Roman Empire... please explain to me how a book written in a language you don't understand serves as precedent to model your entire world round its contents?

I realise I am somewhat ill-informed, as I haven't seen a lot of TOS (something I plan to remedy) but I know enough to say I like it less than the later incarnations...

Movie-wise, I have to go with Trek XI's depiction of the twenty-fourth century. What utter nonsense, scientifically as well as just the general events. But full movie-wise, I pick The Final Frontier. It's grown on me lately, but it's still the weakest of the lot, in my opinion...

But full movie-wise, I pick The Final Frontier. It's grown on me lately, but it's still the weakest of the lot, in my opinion...

Grown on you? Can't you get an antifungal or something for that? :P

flamingjester4fj.gif

i put TAS cuz from what i recall of seeing it, i didn't care for it.

movie - Trek XI. i don't HATE it. it's okay. but i don't like certain things done. the destruction of the planets was pointless IMO.

Star Trek XI!!! Enough said, I think everyone here knows why. *runs from thread before she can go into an enraged rant*

Why would anyone dislike DS9?

Well I actually like DS9 but I can see lots of reasons why people would hate it. Many, many Trek fans do actually because they see it as so different to the 'spirit' of Trek. Firstly, it made a move towards more story arc approach, it stayed in one spot - no boldly going and discovering, it introduced war and conflict on an ongoing basis, its lead character commander/captain had a 'dislike' for a previous one - i.e. Sisko resented and blamed Picard.

Essentially, it all comes down to personal preferences. Some people didn't like that approach and style of story telling. Me, I like it personally. Allows for greater character interaction and development. That's why I can't vote on the series as they all had something to offer to the table and some vision of the Trek universe to give us.

My most disliked series would be TAS, with the movie being The Final Frontier. On the subject, I personally don't hate Star Trek XI, at all. Any Trek is better than no Trek. At least it is in the alternate universe, so they aren't ruining the whole series past Enterpise. Such a shame what they did to Romulus in the proper universe though, that's the one big thing that I resent.

Edited by Dillkid

TAS because, although it was OK, sometimes it seemed more for kids than adults. It's been a long time since I've seen it though, so I could be "misremembering" it.

TMP because, although I also dislike The Final Frontier, TMP seems kinda dull.

YES, NOT ALONE ON ENTERPRISE! And BakulaBabe, I totally agree with you on picking TMP over TFF. I just chose TMP because it was just dull...

Edited by Ishimura

Very difficult to pick the worst because I like Trek in general. I've never seen TAS so I cannot judge that.

If I have to pick a series I think it would be TOS but that's not I don't like it because I'm currently re-watching it for the 10th time or so

Regarding the movies, I think I would pick the first one, TMP, because it's kinda boring to me, the fifth one has a lot of comedy which I love, don't like the god theme though.

I do not dislike the Abrams movies, I can enjoy them but for me they are entertaining sci-fi action movies, I do not consider them Star Trek as I know and love it.

I had to go with Voyager as my least favourite series.....I just can't get into it. Even though I have all the DVD's and and up to date with the post-Nemesis books, I still dislike it.

And as for least favourite movie....that would be The Final Frontier, hands down!

For me, it's VGR (my least favorite series). For me, VGR is the only series that truly held no innovation whatsoever (we'd even seen female captains before, too).

And it wiggled out of its intriguing premise not long after the pilot to become just another boring ship show with a bland, uninteresting crew (probably the least effectively used ensemble since TOS).

And my least favorite movie is INS.

Even as much as I disliked STID, I can't say it was entirely boring (stupid yes, but not boring). However, I can't say that about INS.

And the characters in INS were almost all made to look ridiculous (Data acting like a child, stupid boob jokes, Worf's 'gortch', etc). It looks and feels like a deservedly lost episode of TNG S7.

Again, just my two cents...

Interesting thread!

My least favorite series is VOY, as well. For the reasons Sehlat mentioned, but also because I find none of the characters sufficiently interesting to help me beyond the lack of innovation.

DS9 is my favorite series, and here, the characters are so interesting and likable, so that I even love to watch DS9's worse or boring episodes, because there will be at least some nice character moments in it. Even if the story is not innovative or even stupid.

VOY is the exact opposite. I hate half of the characters and find the other half more or less uninteresting, and they have no chemistry. So even the good episodes (and there are some, which have really good ideas behind them, which I would have loved, had they been filmed with the TNG crew) are annoying to me, because I don't care about the characters at all.

The worst movie for me is NEM.

I like it less every time I watch it again. Absolutely nothing in that movie works. INS is goofy, yes, but as bad as it is, it at least it has some of that "family feeling" of TNG. NEM doesn't have the least bit of that despite the wedding scene, is based on a stupid TWOK-rip off plot, is atrociously edited, and has no original idea whatsoever. It even manages to kill two unoriginality-birds with one stone: The B4 Data clone idea is both a cheap, uneffective rip-off of Lore and Spock's death/revival in TWOK/TSFS.

Edited by Sim

You hate NEM more than STID?

Yes. I'm no STID hater... I find STID mediocre, but not outright bad. It's still better, IMO, than NEM, INS, TFF and TMP. Maybe on par with GEN on my list, although GEN is mediocre in an entirely different way. And TMP is not a bad sf movie, just a pretty bad ST movie.

A movie that's better than at least 4 out of 10 "good old" ST movies certainly isn't a coffin nail for the franchise, IMO.

Edited by Sim

I really like Nemesis. The more I watch it, the more I like it.

One of the things I love about ST fandom; it is as rich and diverse as the 48 years of the show itself... ;)

Certain story arcs in canon were annoying, like the whole Dominion war on DS9 and how it ultimately ended with a Patch Addams ending with Odo touching the evil Changeling's her heart and now it's all better, and oh yeah, the bad guys will surrender. (The arc was great until they put in the disease and Bashir being an augment).

Star Trek V really is one of the sloppiest Star Trek stories, as with the insane rocket books gags, the cheesy muscled Klingon bad guy, the absence of an ending really, and the fake looking God thing.

And one of the admins commented on 'all of those' episodes about Nazi's in space. Yes, there were at least two, one on TOS and another on Ent, but hardly a lot. The Roman planet only happened once. The Romulans are based on Rome and happened a few times, mostly in TNG and DS9. The Roman planet though, just once. 'Bread and Circuses'.

Ah, 'A Piece of the Action' was also mentioned, about the mob book planet. Well it only happened once. I kinda liked that one Sure it was silly, but I got the idea the studio just wanted to use some old sets from the Unoutchables or something. In the later series, the studio greenlit at Robin Hood 'Q Pid' one and a Sherlock Holmes one, well two, so it's not uncanny. At least with TNG they could say it's on the holodeck so it's technically not time travel. I liked them also.

Id's say for TOS it would have to be Spock's Brain for sheer cheese, and Barbie bracelets, and his brain, his brain is gone...and what is brain? Ha.

The ENT finale. You kill off Trip just because and you shoehorn in Riker and Troi from TNG also.

And you all left out the American centered and weird 'Omegas Glory' which was patently ridiculous. The Yangs and Khomms. The wise words. You speak the Constitution. That was so bizarre.

Edited by Chimera82405

Certain story arcs in canon were annoying, like the whole Dominion war on DS9 and how it ultimately ended with a Patch Addams ending with Odo touching the evil Changeling's her heart and now it's all better, and oh yeah, the bad guys will surrender.

will-smith-shaking-his-head-gif.gif

I'd say Abramsverse is my answer.

I think my least liked is the Abramsverse  Trek. It's not terrible but it seems to be all flash with no substance. I hate the  Starship designs too.  My second is Enterprise. I don't hate the show but I just don't think that it fits in a time more than a century before TOS.  Transporters? Photon torpedoes and Phase pistols? Romulans with cloaking devices a century before The Balance of Terror.  Unnecessary relationships and sexy scenes.

Sign in to follow this