Sign in to follow this  
Daedalus

Dr. Noonien Soong

Daedalus   

I had originally intended to ask a specific question, but then I considered that I might make a general thread about the good doctor, provided that is not too presumptuous of me.

In any event, does anyone have any idea how old he actually was when he died? The only reference that I have observed with regard to his age was in the less than reliable FASA Star Trek: The Next Generation Officer's Manual, which suggests that he would have been in his 80's at the time of "Brothers." Considering that humans live to an average of 120 years and the physical state he was in at the end of his life, 80-something seems unlikely.

Edited by Daedalus

T'Preen   

Well, they never actually gave an exact year of birth, but what we do know is that he was born in the late 23rd century and that he died in the year 2367. So him being in his 80's would seem to be correct. Unfortunately, there really is just not a tremendous amount of personal information about him.

Daedalus   

Unfortunately, there really is just not a tremendous amount of personal information about him.

Though I suppose, given Dr. Soong's penchant for intrigue and privacy, that is not surprising.

The age vs death thing really all depends on the type of care you give to yourself. He could have still died naturally in his 80s for any number of reasons. Hell, I knew of a doctor who exercised daily, took vitamins and had a happy life, and he died of a heart attack at 40.

I assumed he was well over 100. The makeup looked waaaaayyy too old to be 80-something.

By todays standards? octogenarians today are living MUCH better than even their counterparts of the 1970s. Hell, I've personally seen many 80-somethings who look amazing. I sat and chatted with "Six Million Dollar Man" boss Richard Anderson ("Oscar Goldman") at Comic Con last year (we shared a table and had a nice long chat). He told me he was 86, and he was sharp as a tack. Looked great, too. Even William Shatner is 81 (almost 82); he looks like a man in his early 60s would've 35-40 years ago.

I would assume Soong to be about 120 or so or even a bit older (if 'Admiral' McCoy was 137 in "Encounter at Farpoint"; he looked about as aged as Soong, give or take a decade). People in TNG's era live somewhat longer than their 21st century counterparts (at least 50 years longer, apparently), so I assume an 80-something would look more like Jean-Luc Picard than Dr. Noonian Soong.

Yeah, except for Jean-Luc was 56 or so. I believe that's what Q says when he's talking about his artifical hearts the reason he died in Tapestry.

Jean-Luc is 64 years old in "Tapestry", actually. And 74 in Nemesis. So, Sehlat actually isn't that far off with his age approach. :)

Sign in to follow this