Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Love STAR TREK V THE FINAL FRONTIER

Love STAR TREK GENERATIONS

Both movies movies remains my personal favorites because the themes of mortality and friendship and duty are very close to my heart and soul.

I thank Bill Shatner and David Carson to have directed those 2 movies which gave me a lot of thought and feelings about life and death.

Nuff said.

Engage.

1013103_629718997046232_184544714_n.jpg

Gus

Star Trek V LOVER

Generations LOVER

I can definately relate, there are always those movies that no matter what other think hold a special place.

I admit that if I saw GEN at another time in my life, it probably wouldn't have resonated as well as it did then, but.... it did. ;)

I guess, I can see why people like it, but for me, pure disappointment. Still remember being a senior in high school and leaving school to go buy tickets for the "sneak preview" night in advance. I don't think any movie could have possibly met my expectations.

I guess, I can see why people like it, but for me, pure disappointment. Still remember being a senior in high school and leaving school to go buy tickets for the "sneak preview" night in advance. I don't think any movie could have possibly met my expectations.

I saw it opening night with a friend of mine who later appeared in the documentary "Trekkies", so I was certainly in good company. Like I said, it was a trying and unusual time in my life. I'd just been through a really bad motorcycle accident earlier that year and I'd lost my dad three months prior to the movie's release; not to mention my nephew had been born. I was all about life, death, and renewal that year. When Picard talked about the loss of his brother and nephew, my dad was weighing heavily on my mind.

I went back to see it several more times (which was odd, because TNG is not my favorite ST really). It was oddly therapeutic. Like having a psychiatrist who puts on a Star Trek uniform and who 'speaks your language.' One of those times I saw the movie was with an acquaintance of mine from work who helped me through that difficult time (and to whom I'm forever grateful) and she is still one of my closest friends to this day. That movie was the first time we ever hung out together (it was New Years' Eve, 1994/5). Not to mention that my dad who passed away that year (1994) was the same age as Shatner (born the same year) so Kirk's death had a lot more meaning and personal connection for me as well. Kirk's death expressed and even articulated (IMO poignantly) that loss for me. So perhaps for those reasons, GEN seemed really personal to me.

All of those factors just give the movie a bigger place in my heart than it normally would've (or arguably should've) deserved. But even now, 20 years later (with the sentimental glasses removed), I still see why I enjoyed it as much as I did (and still do!). Unlike some other movies (like NEM or STID) where the 2nd viewing destroyed it for me, GEN still has that warm little spot in my brain. It always will, I suppose...

But yes, I do agree that First Contact (as said earlier) is a better movie, but GEN is still one of my odd favorites (like "Search for Spock"). Some reasons I can articulate, others I can't. It just is. :)

I saw it opening night with a friend of mine who later appeared in the documentary "Trekkies", so I was certainly in good company. Like I said, it was a trying and unusual time in my life. I'd just been through a really bad motorcycle accident earlier that year and I'd lost my dad three months prior to the movie's release; not to mention my nephew had been born. I was all about life, death, and renewal that year. When Picard talked about the loss of his brother and nephew, my dad was weighing heavily on my mind.

I went back to see it several more times (which was odd, because TNG is not my favorite ST really). It was oddly therapeutic. Like having a psychiatrist who puts on a Star Trek uniform and who 'speaks your language.' One of those times I saw the movie was with an acquaintance of mine from work who helped me through that difficult time (and to whom I'm forever grateful) and she is still one of my closest friends to this day. That movie was the first time we ever hung out together (it was New Years' Eve, 1994/5). Not to mention that my dad who passed away that year (1994) was the same age as Shatner (born the same year) so Kirk's death had a lot more meaning and personal connection for me as well. Kirk's death expressed and even articulated (IMO poignantly) that loss for me. So perhaps for those reasons, GEN seemed really personal to me.

All of those factors just give the movie a bigger place in my heart than it normally would've (or arguably should've) deserved. But even now, 20 years later (with the sentimental glasses removed), I still see why I enjoyed it as much as I did (and still do!). Unlike some other movies (like NEM or STID) where the 2nd viewing destroyed it for me, GEN still has that warm little spot in my brain. It always will, I suppose...

But yes, I do agree that First Contact (as said earlier) is a better movie, but GEN is still one of my odd favorites (like "Search for Spock"). Some reasons I can articulate, others I can't. It just is. :)/>

Sehlat ... I don't think anyone could argue with why the movie holds a special place for you. Thank you for sharing.

Re: ST III, I have always enjoyed it, it has what is one of my favorite Star Trek lines of all time.

Following destruction of the Enterprise

Kirk: "my God what have I done"

McCoy: "you did what you had to do, what you've always done. Turned death into a fighting chance"

Love that line.

But yes, I do agree that First Contact (as said earlier) is a better movie, but GEN is still one of my odd favorites (like "Search for Spock"). Some reasons I can articulate, others I can't. It just is. :)/>

Sehlat ... I don't think anyone could argue with why the movie holds a special place for you. Thank you for sharing.

Re: ST III, I have always enjoyed it, it has what is one of my favorite Star Trek lines of all time.

Following destruction of the Enterprise

Kirk: "my God what have I done"

McCoy: "you did what you had to do, what you've always done. Turned death into a fighting chance"

Love that line.

Oh dear...

I hope I didn't sound like I was fishing for sympathy or anything; not my intention. :S

It's just one of those weird, rare occasions where circumstance influences one's viewing of something; be it a movie, a work of art, etc.

But thanks all the same for the kind words. :)

And yes, TSFS gives me different memories; I remember my sister and I and one of our best friends ditched a day of high school to see that one... hey, it was almost summer vacation anyway. :angel_not::giggle:

I have similar feelings towards GENERATIONS.

The themes of life, death, emotions, courage, duty and so forth, I really saw all of these ideals in GENERATIONS.

And yes, regarding the death of my father in 2012, GENERATIONS and STAR TREK III (and V, yeah) were among the movies that make the pain easy to me. It makes me feel better, accepting that all good (and bad) things end, that we are only mortal, that we must cherish every moment because they never come again.

Long live GENERATIONS and the TOS movies.

After all, is God really out there ?

1507032_732559923428805_1512314671_n.jpg

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

I have similar feelings towards GENERATIONS.

The themes of life, death, emotions, courage, duty and so forth, I really saw all of these ideals in GENERATIONS.

And yes, regarding the death of my father in 2012, GENERATIONS and STAR TREK III (and V, yeah) were among the movies that make the pain easy to me. It makes me feel better, accepting that all good (and bad) things end, that we are only mortal, that we must cherish every moment because they never come again.

Long live GENERATIONS and the TOS movies.

After all, is God really out there ?

1507032_732559923428805_1512314671_n.jpg

Gus

Most of my memories of going to see ST movies are good ones.

The memories of seeing them are often as special as the movies themselves (most of them I've seen in theaters that don't even exist anymore! ).

Regardless of how good or bad, there is nothing like the anticipation of seeing a new Trek film.

It's kind of like Christmas morning, isn't it?

Sometimes you get that shiny bike you always wanted, other times you get socks and underwear.... :laugh:

I was never a huge fan of Generations, but I wanted to be. I was pretty disappointed when I left of the theater. Now I consider it to be the best of the bad movies or maybe the worst of the good ones. I do like it much more than Nemesis, Insurrection or the Final Frontier. TMP gets a special pass because I was a kid when it came out. I remember waiting and waiting for it to be released and then begging my mom to take me to see it.

Anyway...

The scenes filmed on the Enterprise D look beautiful (especially the bridge), while most of the Enterprise B stuff seemed... weird. Scotty and Chekov looked downright unhealthy. The scene where Kirk went missing was great though, a fitting death (if one was really necessary). Most of the action on Veridian III looked bland, verging on ugly and didn't make lot of sense to me. An enormous energy ribbon is supposed to strike a huge planet, why build a rickety scaffold & platform atop a mountain. On a planetary scale, 10-15 thousand feet is't a big deal. Just put your gun & Nexus platform on the ground somewhere safe and wait for eternity... I do get that it was supposed to look cool, the image on the poster is nice. If you do have the money to build a sun destroying rocket, all that scaffolding, shields, to put it all on a mountain and to hire a bunch of klingons -- why not just rent/buy/steal a ship and fly into the Nexus? Thinking about all that kept me from enjoying the rest of the movie, including Malcolm McDowell's cool take on a Trek villain & some nice Picard/Kirk scenes.

I really do wish that I like this one more. In some ways it hints at the TNG movies that could have been. Even FC, which I do like, didn't come as close to the feeling of TNG as this movie did.

From Gus... to us!

10362360_834969266521203_252335301027152

I love the Valley of Fire sequence.

So help me, Nevada's Valley of Fire is (IMO) the most beautiful, rugged location ever used for Star Trek....

gen1075.jpg

gen0853.jpg

gen0825.jpg

I love the cinematography by the late John Alonzo, too; the man had such an eye.... I love his "Chinatown" and "Blue Thunder" too.

As a photography nerd myself, I will sometimes pop in the DVD just to see some of these Valley of Fire scenes.... they're jaw-droppingly beautiful.

Yesterday, I already posted my thoughts on "Generations" in another thread... thought I'd move them to the appropriate forum. Here they are:

It's one of the movies I have mixed feelings for (alongside TSFS and STID)... not one of the really good movies, but not one of the bad movies either.

I totally like the score. Maybe it's because I had it on CD already two weeks before I watched the movie for the first time in the theatre. I'd listen to it a lot via a walkman, when I was on a fantastic holiday in February 1995 on the dreamy Atlantic island of Madeira.

A couple of things I don't like: First of all, the Nexus is such a huge wild card, story-wise, that it doesn't even make sense to talk about plot holes -- the Nexus was defined as such a tool in the first place that it'd explain away all inconsistencies and we're just supposed to believe it. You see a plothole? Answer: Nexus.

So, for example... you cannot enter it via a spaceship, because it'd explode before you get close enough, which is why Soran wants to bring it to the planet. But if that's so, how could he have been inside the Nexus once, when the Enterprise-B rescued him and the other passengers? How could Kirk enter it and survive? When you can just leave it anytime you like, and to any point in time you like, why did Picard and Kirk choose this very moment right before Soran starts his rocket -- and not a moment much earlier, when it would have been even much more easy to defeat him? Or even saving the crashed Ent-D? Or Picard could have chosen a point weeks before, warn Robert and Rene in advance and make sure everything will go right in the first place? The Nexus just makes the entire plot useless.

Minor things that bother me: Can't they decide in favor of one type of uniform, instead of constantly switching it (from TNG style to VOY/DS9 S1-4 style)? Is Picard really so square that this intolerably schmaltzy Christmas scene reflects his idea of family fulfilment? Likewise, is Kirk's idea of a kind of heaven really a cabin in the mountains and riding all day? Okay...

And then: Lursa and B'Etor. They weren't strong and impressive villains even in the series, in the first place. And their connection to Soran seems totally arbitrary. Why choose them? And *they* shall be the reason for the death of the good old Ent-D?! That's almost as bad as killing off Trip by some no-name forehead ridge pirates in the ENT finale.

And I guess I'd have had more sympathy for Picard's and Kirk's plan to save the population of Veridian III, if we had at least seen one of them. As it is, they're anonymous people it's hard to have sympathy for.

What I do like: As I said before, the score. I like the general idea of temptation of a kind of paradise and the obsession of the "drug addict" Soran, and the theme of "time eating us all". I like the character development for Picard and Data (Robert's & Rene's death and the emotion chip). As usual, Stewart's acting is superb and imo, McDowell was very well casted and delivers a great performance too. I like the appearance of Guinan. I like to see the Ent-D on the big screen for the only time, and the according lighting and colors the way it's filmed. I like the holodeck scene in the beginning and the stellar cartography lab. And I also like the scene of the Ent-D's saucer section crashing on the planet ... a nice, spectacular ending for that amazing ship. And although I'd have prefered if TUC had been the true farewell of the TOS crew, and felt "passing the torch" was not really necessary, I found Kirk's death okay, the way it was depicted there -- it was nice to see Shatner as Kirk again for a final goodbye.

On the bottom line, GEN is imo an okay movie, but with some serious flaws. It's definitely not in the top league of ST movies (such as TWOK, TVH, TUC, FC and ST09, imo), but also is much less gravely flawed than the worst movies (TMP, TFF, INS and NEM imo). It's absolutely a fun movie to rewatch occasionally.

6/10

Edited by Sim

I love GENERATIONS with a passion - its not only the best TNG movie, but itw as one of the best Star Trek movies. Kudos to director David Carson and the screenplay by Ron Moore and Brannon Braga; wonderfully produced with awesome effects by ILM.

Gus

I gave this an 8 but really just for nostalgia reasons. This was released in the UK in early 1995 and coincided with my 17th birthday. I was a fan of the TV show and I think I'd seen the final episode. I'd seen all the movies featuring the original cast on home video.

Like I say I was a fan of TNG. And was totally unaware until about a few days before I saw it that this movie had been made! I was alerted to it's existence by a TV advert. All it was was Kirk telling Picard to call him Jim when they were fighting Soran, a couple of outer space shots. Then it said "Two captains, one destiny" and then Star Trek Generations in massive letters. That advert got me really excited!

That weekend my two best friends came over for a sleepover. They're brothers and are still my best friends now! My parents booked us tickets to go see something at the cinema and dropped us off and picked us up. So of course, this was the movie I chose.

For some reason it's one of the greatest times I've ever had in the cinema. Me and my mates still talk about it now. We really got into it and enjoyed the story and stuff. Looking at it now I can see it's a deeply flawed movie but it's heart is in the right place. The rest of the audience were really into it too, and the bit where Data swore got a HUGE laugh from the audience.

Looking back on it now, I think whether its a good movie or not really boils down to what you expect from it. I think it's positives outweigh it's negatives. Like I say it's good natured, has some good performances, it's exciting and asking "what would the Nexus be like for you?" is a great conversation to have with someone after watching it. Also I must add - whilst I knew Captain Kirk was going to die in it (pretty much the worst kept secret at the time, I found out almost as soon as I found out the movie existed) I was genuinely surprised when the Enterprise got destroyed. I thought that was a pretty bold thing to do in the first ever TNG movie.

So yeah, I quite like it I guess. Mainly cause at the time it was such a pleasant surprise to find out it was on the way.

I gave this an 8 but really just for nostalgia reasons. This was released in the UK in early 1995 and coincided with my 17th birthday. I was a fan of the TV show and I think I'd seen the final episode. I'd seen all the movies featuring the original cast on home video.

Like I say I was a fan of TNG. And was totally unaware until about a few days before I saw it that this movie had been made! I was alerted to it's existence by a TV advert. All it was was Kirk telling Picard to call him Jim when they were fighting Soran, a couple of outer space shots. Then it said "Two captains, one destiny" and then Star Trek Generations in massive letters. That advert got me really excited!

That weekend my two best friends came over for a sleepover. They're brothers and are still my best friends now! My parents booked us tickets to go see something at the cinema and dropped us off and picked us up. So of course, this was the movie I chose.

For some reason it's one of the greatest times I've ever had in the cinema. Me and my mates still talk about it now. We really got into it and enjoyed the story and stuff. Looking at it now I can see it's a deeply flawed movie but it's heart is in the right place. The rest of the audience were really into it too, and the bit where Data swore got a HUGE laugh from the audience.

Looking back on it now, I think whether its a good movie or not really boils down to what you expect from it. I think it's positives outweigh it's negatives. Like I say it's good natured, has some good performances, it's exciting and asking "what would the Nexus be like for you?" is a great conversation to have with someone after watching it. Also I must add - whilst I knew Captain Kirk was going to die in it (pretty much the worst kept secret at the time, I found out almost as soon as I found out the movie existed) I was genuinely surprised when the Enterprise got destroyed. I thought that was a pretty bold thing to do in the first ever TNG movie.

So yeah, I quite like it I guess. Mainly cause at the time it was such a pleasant surprise to find out it was on the way.

I'll admit, the reasons I love it are largely sentimental (and I admit it), but looking back, it's also a good movie on its own merit. If it were only nostalgia, I'm not sure I'd re-watch it as much as I do. :thumbup:

And yes, at the time I first saw it (November of '94) I very much wished I had my own personal nexus... it was a tough time for me personally.

I'll admit, the reasons I love it are largely sentimental (and I admit it), but looking back, it's also a good movie on its own merit. If it were only nostalgia, I'm not sure I'd re-watch it as much as I do. :thumbup:

And yes, at the time I first saw it (November of '94) I very much wished I had my own personal nexus... it was a tough time for me personally.

It occurs to me that Generations might be one of my most rewatched ST movies. I kind of have to make the effort with some of them; there are others that I just default to out of sheer pleasure - the trilogy, TUC, and this one.

It occurs to me that Generations might be one of my most rewatched ST movies. I kind of have to make the effort with some of them; there are others that I just default to out of sheer pleasure - the trilogy, TUC, and this one.

I even took it with me to WonderCon and watched a bit of it in the hotel room when I was tired... it's like ST comfort food. :laugh:

On 12/12/2017 at 4:35 PM, Sehlat Vie said:

Good review/defense, Sehlat. You kind of made me re-think how I feel about this movie. There was a lot good gems mixed into this movie.

4 hours ago, The Founder said:

Good review/defense, Sehlat. You kind of made me re-think how I feel about this movie. There was a lot good gems mixed into this movie.

If I helped just one more person to reevaluate GEN, I’m pleased... 

7f8a1c732c19862461e31e8746ec0dc1.gif