Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Generations was a great film. The saucer crash is spectacular and a real jaw dropping moment. That said, it's a pity the D was only in the movies for one. Atop of that, the ending for the Big D at the hands of a squib Klingon attack is akin to how Kirk's death should have been something more. I've no problem with him dying - because that is the way Kirk would have wanted to go and even expected it. He would always go down fighting and saving the lives of others. However, the inhabitants of Veridian system don't register as such a big sacrifice to many - I guess we were use to both Kirk and the D putting it on the line for the sake of the Federation and more. The scale just seemed a little too small. Otherwise, as someone commented, the film seemed to care for the characters and kept pretty much to type - although the emotion chip has a few flaws in its story - save being better than the whole later B4 thing. And I have to use Picard's emotional loss in this film and his encounter with Kirk to explain the less Picard like Picard in the later films. That the experiences from Generations changed him somewhat - brought about something of a mid-life crisis. Hee hee. Overall, I'll give this film an eight.

Guest jadzia_dax2370

hi all

i give it a 8 my second fave st film behind First Contactworthy.gif

just never let Troi drive againgiggle.gif

Edited by jadzia_dax2370

I gave Generations a solid 8; from me? That's high praise.... ;)

The reasons I enjoy it are manifold:

* The time in my life when I first saw it had much to do with it.

1994 was a very tumultuous year for me; I was in a terrible motorcycle accident that year (hit by a drunk driver) and I lost my dad. Also that year, my nephew was born. So Picard's arc of mortality and family REALLY resonated deeply with me when I first saw it. It was also powerfully acted by Stewart (his breakdown brought me to tears when I first saw it onscreen; it caught me off guard, and impacted me very deeply). I also took someone to see it who is STILL a good friend of mine to this day; we often joke that our long friendship began over a ST movie...

* Also enjoyed the illusion vs. reality theme of living in the Nexus or choosing reality, warts and all. It resonated very well with TOS' "The Cage/Menagerie" when the Talosians were offering Capt. Pike an idyllic existence over his command responsibilities, so in a way it took Star Trek full circle. I also like the Nexus presenting 'real' looking places of happiness, and not some bogus, all-white 'heaven' setting; as an atheist, I would've balked at that. For me, I believe we make our own heavens and hells right here on the planet we live in. Our reality is the clay with which we create them...

* The 1701-D saucer crash was an awesome piece of cinema; deserving of the big screen. So cool in fact, that it's used twice! :laugh:

* Although many didn't like Kirk's death, I was OK with it (and TOS ST is my first love, mind you).

He died not only saving an Enterprise crew (two, if you count the B and the D), but he also saved millions of innocents on Veridian 4. And his lonely grave overlooking Nevada's gorgeous Valley of Fire was just jaw-droppingly beautiful and poignant. I would even say that "Serenity" (the Firefly movie) paid an homage to this scene with Wash and Book's funerals. It was a great send-off, IMO. Loved Shatner's brief, "Oh my..." at the end. Gave me the impression that Kirk was truly facing the unknown for the first time (oblivion, or an afterlife...).

* "They say time is the fire in which we burn...." (A line of dialogue so awesome that I do THIS > :worthy: every time I hear it.... )

Things that weren't so great about it:

* Picard came off very badly in the final battle with Soran. Got his ass handed to him by a 300 year old El Aurian, and Kirk kind of came in and saved the day. Not Picard's finest outing in that sense. Soran made him seem bumbling at times, and with Picard I honestly didn't think that was possible...

:huh2:

* Lursa and Behtor. Not a big fan of the Duras sisters. Their lip-smacking overacting gets on my nerves. Not even their Klingon Kleavage works for me (and I'm straight). :laugh:

* The many plot holes; too many to list, but ALL of the Star Trek movies are guilty of this to one degree or another, even the best of them...

That about sums up my feelings for ST: Generations. IMO, the 2nd best TNG movie next to "First Contact." :thumbsup2:

(and light years ahead of Nemesis and Insurrection; the absolute bottom of the barrel of the ST movies; TOS, TNG, whatever...). :thumbdown:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I gave it an 8. The Enterprise-B is gorgeous and didn't get nearly enough screen time.

In answer to your questions, Voyager:

1. In VOY: Scorpion, part I, Janeway is looking at a classified Starfleet database on the Borg. At the top it reads "9521.6", the stardate of The Undiscovered Country - about the time when El-Aurians came to the Federation. It's not direct evidence but it's a pretty logical conclusion. Because

2. Lursa and B'Etor (as far as I know) and I'm not sure... maybe they just put a mini camera inside it?

I didn't know about that Voyager thing reference to early knowledge to the Borg, but I don't like Voyager. I always thought that was poor writing bringing Guinan et al into the TOS timeframe just because of the implications of the Borg. I always say it, Gen could have been a dual timeline movie , Kirk and Picard battling the same force in their respective timelines. They did'nt have to meet. Just look at the Godfather

Edited by thestartrekker

Ok...so I watched Generations last night on Netflix. This means I have now seen the movie three times. Opening night, ten years ago when I bought the special edition DVD, and last night. Apparently I only watch in years that end with four. 1994, 2004 and 2014. I absolutely hated the movie the first time I saw it. I remember going home and watching Best of Both Worlds to get the bad taste out of my mouth. On each of my next two viewings I was reminded why I disliked it so much.

1. The movie essentially feels like an overblown episode, and a middle of the road one at that. There was nothing in the movie that gave it the feel of something special.

2. Why keep the same uniforms as the show? The series had just ended that spring. There needed to be something to set it apart from what I saw on a weekly basis for seven seasons. New uniforms would have given it that feel. This ties to point one, it feels like an episode not a movie.

3. The emotion chip, I know it ties back to the series, but Data having emotion goes against character, I don't care if Data has emotion, but what is worse is the way it was handled. The scenes such as him pretending it is the tri corder talking to Geordi, or signing life forms, or saying "oh shit" come off as cheesy and out of touch with what TNG was and is. They were just pathetic attempts at humor.

4. Soran, has there ever been a lamer villain? There was nothing imposing or menacing about him? Technically there was nothing superior about him that should have required Picard needing Kirk's assistance.

5. The Christmas Scene, why? I know it was supposed to represent the nexus and it giving you the perfect life, but seemed out of place with the rest of the film.

6. The death of Kirk, I have seen it debated on here before, but it was like Rick Bermans FU to the fans of TOS. I know it is a fictional character and for that reason Kirk needed to go out in a blaze of glory. For those who have the special edition, Kirk killing Soran with his final breath would have been a much more satisfying ending, but being killed by a falling Bridge? That is awful and unforgivable. There is no way Berman would have given Kirk the hero's death he deserved.

Each time I have watched this movie I have wanted to like it, but unfortunately it is not in the stars. I guess it's time to watch First Contact.

Just going to disagree on a few points (again; this is my opinion only... I fully realize that GEN is not the most popular ST movie, but I enjoy it):

There was nothing in the movie that gave it the feel of something special.

I don't know; I thought the launch of the Enterprise B, the meeting of Kirk and Picard, the crash of the Ent-D and the gorgeous cinematography by DP John Alonzo ("Chinatown" "Blue Thunder") were all pretty special to me...

2. Why keep the same uniforms as the show? The series had just ended that spring. There needed to be something to set it apart from what I saw on a weekly basis for seven seasons. New uniforms would have given it that feel. This ties to point one, it feels like an episode not a movie.

They had actually designed new uniforms but for one reason or another, they were scrapped at the last minute (some of the Playmates action figures made for the movie actually had the unused design). A haphazard decision was made to use DS9's uniforms at the last minute. I agree this is a weak point of the movie, but in fairness, the DS9 uniforms are slightly more appealing to me (personally)...

med_gallery_179_11_161567.jpg

3. The emotion chip, I know it ties back to the series, but Data having emotion goes against character, I don't care if Data has emotion, but what is worse is the way it was handled. The scenes such as him pretending it is the tri corder talking to Geordi, or signing life forms, or saying "oh shit" come off as cheesy and out of touch with what TNG was and is. They were just pathetic attempts at humor.

Data's childish sense of humor was largely because of his lack of experience with emotion. He may be a mental giant, but emotionally he's an infant... emotional control and subtlety takes experience. Data lacks this, hence his pathetic sense of humor...

4. Soran, has there ever been a lamer villain? There was nothing imposing or menacing about him? Technically there was nothing superior about him that should have required Picard needing Kirk's assistance.

Really? Even as played by "Droog Alex" (Malcolm McDowell) from "A Clockwork Orange"?

I thought he was pretty cool; kicking the crap out of both Kirk and Picard (nearly killing them BOTH in hand-to-hand combat), delivering his lines with wonderful aplomb ("They say time is the fire in which we burn..." "Time has no meaning there; the predator has no teeth..." ), and even holding his own against a shipful of Klingons. Not bad for a 300 year old (!).

I don't know, but I thought he pretty much kicked ass....

As for a lamer villain? How about KINO (Khan In Name Only) or Sh!t On---er, I mean, Shinzon (or is that Dr. Evil?). :giggle:

5. The Christmas Scene, why? I know it was supposed to represent the nexus and it giving you the perfect life, but seemed out of place with the rest of the film.

I thought the whole Nexus fantasy sequence was a wonderful homage to TOS' "The Cage" (with Pike exploring fantasy lives and avenues not taken, such as his idyllic picnic with Vina). It was an intriguing exploration of both Kirk and Picard's characters; it was as if each had their own version of "The Cage" now. I enjoyed it (despite the slightly ridiculous Dickensian trappings in Picard's Christmas fantasy...)

6. The death of Kirk, I have seen it debated on here before, but it was like Rick Bermans FU to the fans of TOS. I know it is a fictional character and for that reason Kirk needed to go out in a blaze of glory. For those who have the special edition, Kirk killing Soran with his final breath would have been a much more satisfying ending, but being killed by a falling Bridge? That is awful and unforgivable. There is no way Berman would have given Kirk the hero's death he deserved.

And I've said THIS before; Berman didn't write the death scene... Ron Moore and Brannon Braga did. And Shatner AGREED to do it.

Personally, I loved his final scene with Picard. The look in his eyes as death overtakes him ("Oh my"). Kirk truly embraces the 'final frontier' in this movie.

And the big 'blaze of glory-guns a blazing' death for the hero is so cliched. Death doesn't always come made to order. Patton was paralyzed and later died from injuries relating to a car accident only a few months after WW2. Peter the Great died of gangrene. Kirk died (twice, according to history) saving the Enterprise (B & D) as well as millions of inhabitants of Veridian IV. I can't think of a more heroic death. A typical phasers & torpedoes starship battle seems kind of trivial by comparison, IMO. Overly predictable.

And there's something lovely and haunting about a lonely cairn on a desert hilltop of a distant alien planet... it's poetic. Instead of being predictably epic, Kirk's death was intimate and personal.

Again, this is just my opinion and I realize that when it comes to GEN, few ST fans embrace it as Gus and I do, but I do. And for the record, I'm a TOS fan first and foremost. I've been one since the early '70s when I used to watch TAS and TAS. Kirk is my favorite captain and I for one thought he got a wonderful sendoff.

I maintain my '8' rating for this one... I still love it; flaws and all.

I gave it a 10 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 !!!!

10 !!!!

10 !!!!

My favorite TNG movie and one of the best performances by Patrick Stewart and Bill Shatner ever !!!

I just looooooooooooove this movie, from Dennis McCarthy score to David Carson directing.

The movie has so many themes : mortality, emotions, family and so forth. 10 all the way.

1504993_735865886431542_1062742445_n.jpg

Gus

I'm afraid I have to side with Ghost of Sam Kirk here. I'm very hard-pressed to think of anything positive to say about GEN.

Just going to disagree on a few points (again; this is my opinion only... I fully realize that GEN is not the most popular ST movie, but I enjoy it):

There was nothing in the movie that gave it the feel of something special.

I don't know; I thought the launch of the Enterprise B, the meeting of Kirk and Picard, the crash of the Ent-D and the gorgeous cinematography by DP John Alonzo ("Chinatown" "Blue Thunder") were all pretty special to me...

They had actually designed new uniforms but for one reason or another, they were scrapped at the last minute (some of the Playmates action figures made for the movie actually had the unused design). A haphazard decision was made to use DS9's uniforms at the last minute. I agree this is a weak point of the movie, but in fairness, the DS9 uniforms are slightly more appealing to me (personally)...

med_gallery_179_11_161567.jpg

Data's childish sense of humor was largely because of his lack of experience with emotion. He may be a mental giant, but emotionally he's an infant... emotional control and subtlety takes experience. Data lacks this, hence his pathetic sense of humor...

Really? Even as played by "Droog Alex" (Malcolm McDowell) from "A Clockwork Orange"?

I thought he was pretty cool; kicking the crap out of both Kirk and Picard (nearly killing them BOTH in hand-to-hand combat), delivering his lines with wonderful aplomb ("They say time is the fire in which we burn..." "Time has no meaning there; the predator has no teeth..." ), and even holding his own against a shipful of Klingons. Not bad for a 300 year old (!).

I don't know, but I thought he pretty much kicked ass....

As for a lamer villain? How about KINO (Khan In Name Only) or Sh!t On---er, I mean, Shinzon (or is that Dr. Evil?). :giggle:/>

I thought the whole Nexus fantasy sequence was a wonderful homage to TOS' "The Cage" (with Pike exploring fantasy lives and avenues not taken, such as his idyllic picnic with Vina). It was an intriguing exploration of both Kirk and Picard's characters; it was as if each had their own version of "The Cage" now. I enjoyed it (despite the slightly ridiculous Dickensian trappings in Picard's Christmas fantasy...)

And I've said THIS before; Berman didn't write the death scene... Ron Moore and Brannon Braga did. And Shatner AGREED to do it.

Personally, I loved his final scene with Picard. The look in his eyes as death overtakes him ("Oh my"). Kirk truly embraces the 'final frontier' in this movie.

And the big 'blaze of glory-guns a blazing' death for the hero is so cliched. Death doesn't always come made to order. Patton was paralyzed and later died from injuries relating to a car accident only a few months after WW2. Peter the Great died of gangrene. Kirk died (twice, according to history) saving the Enterprise (B & D) as well as millions of inhabitants of Veridian IV. I can't think of a more heroic death. A typical phasers & torpedoes starship battle seems kind of trivial by comparison, IMO. Overly predictable.

And there's something lovely and haunting about a lonely cairn on a desert hilltop of a distant alien planet... it's poetic. Instead of being predictably epic, Kirk's death was intimate and personal.

Again, this is just my opinion and I realize that when it comes to GEN, few ST fans embrace it as Gus and I do, but I do. And for the record, I'm a TOS fan first and foremost. I've been one since the early '70s when I used to watch TAS and TAS. Kirk is my favorite captain and I for one thought he got a wonderful sendoff.

I maintain my '8' rating for this one... I still love it; flaws and all.

I mean for me the destruction of the Enterprise just seemed so unnecessary. I know it looked good, but other than needing to find a way to get a new enterprise for the next set of movies.

I know that it has been debated here, but it is a movie I and Kirk needed the hero's death, it's not real life so why not make it spectacular.

I mean for me the destruction of the Enterprise just seemed so unnecessary. I know it looked good, but other than needing to find a way to get a new enterprise for the next set of movies.

No more or less unnecessary than the Enterprise's destruction in TSFS, really. In both, the E gets her ass handed to her by a Klingon Bird of Prey.... pretty embarrassing, really. :S

I know that it has been debated here, but it is a movie I and Kirk needed the hero's death, it's not real life so why not make it spectacular.

I rather enjoyed that his death deified expectation. I hate movies that are by-the-numbers. I thought they were smart going for poignancy over cheap, Wagnerian theatrics...

Well we will agree to disagree. In the end. For me it felt like an over blown episode. Yes the ceremony with Enterprise B was nice but not enough there to take away from my overall dissatisfaction. Perhaps I will try again in 2024.

Edited by Ghost of Sam Kirk

Well we will agree to disagree. In the end. For me it felt like an over blown episode. Yes the ceremony with Enterprise B was nice but not enough there to take away from my overall dissatisfaction. Perhaps I will try again in 2024.

I'll still be here, I'm sure... :laugh:

I give GEN solid 6 out of 10 points. It's the prototype of a really "average" Star Trek movie for me -- nothing to really *hate* about it, but nothing that makes it really special either.

Kirk's appearance: Disappointing for his last appearance, his death was very unspectacular, and he's just a little boring without Spock and Bones, IMO. But then, his appearance wasn't so bad I'd say I hate it. More like "mildly entertained".

Likewise for the TNG cast: Liked the "sailor"-like promotion of Worf, the addition to Picard's background (and Stewart'sd acting) when it came to killing Rene and Robert, Guinan's small role and some of Data's emotional scenes. I didn't really like some other scenes of emotional Data (which were a bit too silly, IMO), Picard's super-square Christmas fantasy.

The special effects of the Enterprise-D's saucer section crash was impressive, but I found it pathetic that Lursa and B'Etor of all people were responsible for killing off the ship with an old BOP.

I liked McDowell's performance as Soran, the character certainly had a few great lines, but the entire premise of the Nexus seemed like one giant plothole to me. And how am I supposed to care about the people living on that planet Kirk even dies for, although I haven't even seen a single one of them?

Liked the lighting on the ENT-D bridge, but was a bit annoyed by the constant change between the TNG-style and VOY-style uniforms.

I give GEN solid 6 out of 10 points. It's the prototype of a really "average" Star Trek movie for me -- nothing to really *hate* about it, but nothing that makes it really special either.

Kirk's appearance: Disappointing for his last appearance, his death was very unspectacular, and he's just a little boring without Spock and Bones, IMO. But then, his appearance wasn't so bad I'd say I hate it. More like "mildly entertained".

Likewise for the TNG cast: Liked the "sailor"-like promotion of Worf, the addition to Picard's background (and Stewart'sd acting) when it came to killing Rene and Robert, Guinan's small role and some of Data's emotional scenes. I didn't really like some other scenes of emotional Data (which were a bit too silly, IMO), Picard's super-square Christmas fantasy.

The special effects of the Enterprise-D's saucer section crash was impressive, but I found it pathetic that Lursa and B'Etor of all people were responsible for killing off the ship with an old BOP.

I liked McDowell's performance as Soran, the character certainly had a few great lines, but the entire premise of the Nexus seemed like one giant plothole to me. And how am I supposed to care about the people living on that planet Kirk even dies for, although I haven't even seen a single one of them?

Liked the lighting on the ENT-D bridge, but was a bit annoyed by the constant change between the TNG-style and VOY-style uniforms.

eye%2Btwitch.gif

:P

Oh boy, it's tough loving the ugly kitten of the litter... :laugh:

eye%2Btwitch.gif

Huh? :P

*don't get the reference*

Too bad 1 is the lowest this movie can get. Any movie where the writers think killing Kirk is a GOOD idea, will cement its position as the worst Trek movie by far, for that reason alone.

eye%2Btwitch.gif

Oh, it's just me being stupid... pretending to overreact, that's all. No reference. :P:laugh:

eye%2Btwitch.gif

Oh, it's just me being stupid... pretending to overreact, that's all. No reference. :P:laugh:

Ah okay. :D

Well, 8 points and 6 points is not *that* far apart after all ... and I agree it's the 2nd best TNG movie after FC. ;)

eye%2Btwitch.gif

Ah okay. :D

Well, 8 points and 6 points is not *that* far apart after all ... and I agree it's the 2nd best TNG movie after FC. ;)

I do agree that FC is a better movie (I'm not that deluded... :laugh: ).

Definitely agree the FC is the best of the bunch.

No argument there.

Pound for pound, inch by inch, it is clearly the better movie.... but I have a sentimental 'sweet tooth' for GEN. :inlove:

I acknowledge its flaws, but I just like it all the same. Part of it has to do with the circumstances in which I first saw it; it kind of 'spoke to me' at a very specific time in my life; I too, was struggling with issues of mortality at the time. It was proper 'geek therapy.' :laugh:

Kind of how Gus described his feelings for STV. GEN is my STV, I suppose (even though I'm a TOS fan, first and foremost).