Sign in to follow this  
Mony

The best season?

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Mony   

I think it's the second season, it's one that contains the episodes with the best plot and great comic (The Trouble With Tribbles, A Piece of the action), dramatic (Amok Time, Mirror, Mirror, Journey to Babel), and action moments ( The Doomsday Machine, Obsession). The relationships between the various characters are well defined and all the crew have his moments.

The first season has many beautiful episodes, too, but I think it focuses a bit too much on Kirk, Spock and McCoy. No Chekov. And also other characters have a very marginal role (sometimes they don't even appear).

And then there's the third season ... the infamous third season. Ok, ok, it contains episodes known for their ugliness (Spock's Brain, And the children shall lead, The Mark of Gideon), but I think its biggest problem is that there're many mediocre episodes, nor beautiful, nor bad, but forgettable. However, I do not think it is SO bad: there are also beautiful episodes, like The Tholian Web, The Enterprise Incident or All your yesterdays.

Benedict   

Some of the best episodes or one's that I enjoyed. Mirror, Mirror, Doomsday Machine primarily. I like Season 1 (Balance of Terror, chiefly) and even a couple from S3 (Tholian Web, Enterprise Incident) but Season 2 just felt right. It's a shame that S3 kind of slid downhill.

Voyager   

I know most people will disagree with me, but I like season 3 the best. I has some of my favourite episodes (Enterprise Incident, Paradise Syndrome). Season two follows close behind.

Season 2, but it's hard to pick a season really. They all had some brilliant episodes (Raven's listed most of them) and there were some truly terrible ones as well.

maneth   

Season 2 definitely.

Spock's Brain and Turnabout Intruder utterly ruined the third season for me, even though I admit there were a few gems too. TI was bad enough as a TOS episode with its overtly misogynistic attitudes (women can't be Starfleet captains, what crap even for 1969!), but as a season finale and ultimately series finale it was so bad it's completely inexcusable.

Voyager   

I've just gone back and found my average score for each season and to my surprise, though season 3 has my two favourite episodes, it actually came with the overall lowest score. M favourite season is in fact season 1.

^

I'm still running the episodes against each other (took a little break in order to watch more DS9), but so far season 1 is in the lead for me as well... I always thought season 2 was my favorite, but then, it does appear to be season 1...

I love all the seasons, really. Even Season 3, surprisingly to most of you, I'm sure. I don't know why, I just find a lot of the episodes in that season to be good. Maybe even great. "The Savage Curtain" immediately comes to mind for me, even though there's OMG!FLOATINGSPACELINCOLN!!! :laugh:

I just loved the idea of an outside force pitting the good and bad guys against each other. And finally seeing Surak of Vulcan, as well as the first glimpse into Klingon history with the false Kahless. Kirk was wrong, of course, he's no butcher. :glare:

"All Our Yesterdays," another classic, in my honest opinion.

"The Enterprise Incident," "Spectre of the Gun," "Day of the Dove," "Whom Gods Destroy," and "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" are all classics in their own right, and some of my favorite all-time TOS episodes, if not all-time Trek episodes.

Voyager   

^

I'm still running the episodes against each other (took a little break in order to watch more DS9), but so far season 1 is in the lead for me as well... I always thought season 2 was my favorite, but then, it does appear to be season 1...

I think just some particularly good episodes stick out in one season and you immediately forget about all the bad ones and assume that season's your favourite. Once you look back though, you begin to realise that overall the other seasons are better.

^

I think just some particularly good episodes stick out in one season and you immediately forget about all the bad ones and assume that season's your favourite. Once you look back though, you begin to realise that overall the other seasons are better.

Yup, that's exactly what's been happening to me. I always thought season 2 was my favorite because it has episodes like "The Doomsday Machine", "Mirror, Mirror", "The Trouble With Tribbles". "A Piece Of The Action" and "Amok Time". But when I started to compare episodes from season 1 and episodes from season 2, season 1 somehow emerged as the winner (so far)...

Voyager   

^

Yup, that's exactly what's been happening to me. I always thought season 2 was my favorite because it has episodes like "The Doomsday Machine", "Mirror, Mirror", "The Trouble With Tribbles". "A Piece Of The Action" and "Amok Time". But when I started to compare episodes from season 1 and episodes from season 2, season 1 somehow emerged as the winner (so far)...

I always thought season 3 was my favourite because of 'The Enterprise Incident' and 'The Paradise Syndrome', but I then realised that I wasn't that keen on most of the other episodes lol.

Season 2.

Unquestionably.

When I first starting buying the remastered seasons (which I first SWORE I'd never do), the first one I reached for was season 2.

The characters had all found their voices, the show's format was solidified (no more UESPA headquarters or United Earth jazz; it was Starfleet & the Federation) and the show also had a lot more color and vitality than in the previous season. This is ST running on all thrusters. Season one has some of the best episodes, true ("City on the Edge...", "Devil in the Dark", "Menagerie", etc) but season 2 also further explored the characters (Spock had both "Amok Time" and "Journey To Babel") and the actors seemed far more relaxed in their roles; the relationships began to feel much more organic.

Highlights for S2 for me are "Journey to Babel", "Doomsday Machine", "Trouble With Tribbles", "Amok Time", "Metamorphosis", "Who Mourns For Adonais?" "The Ultimate Computer", and--- oh screw it; I pretty much love the WHOLE season except for "The Omega Glory" (a hot mess, that one). :thumbup:

Corylea   

I think Season 1 is the strongest overall, but Season 2 has some of my favorite episodes, so it's hard to pick one or the other.

I'm not as fond of the comic episodes like "The Trouble with Tribbles" and "A Piece of the Action" as most fans are, so some of the usual fan favorites from Season 2 aren't on my personal hit parade. On the other hand, I adore the character-development episodes like "Amok Time" and "Journey to Babel," both of which are Season 2. On the gripping hand, I think the most characteristic episode is "Devil in the Dark," which is Season 1.

I think S2 is my overall favorite because it dug deeper into the characters (Spock had "Amok Time" & "Journey To Babel"; Scotty had "Wolf in the Fold", "Trouble With Tribbles", EVERYBODY had "I, Mudd", etc). This one only has a couple of not-so-hot ones ("Friday's Child", "Gamesters of Triskelion"). The rest are just solid.

S1 had some classics though, of course ("Menagerie", "Devil in the Dark", "City on the Edge...", "Arena") but I think 2 was more colorful; and the characters seemed closer to the loose, warmer comradery we're more familiar with. The only thing holding S1 back were some of the clunky earlier episodes where the show's format and sense of self seemed to teeter a bit ("Conscience of the King" "Mudd's Women"). Normal for a young series, in most cases.

But S3 had some overlooked gems as well. In fact, there are a few favorites of mine there too ("Day of the Dove" [iMO, the best TOS Klingon episode], "All Our Yesterdays", "Is There In Truth No Beauty?" Hell, I even loved "The Empath"; that one is like some kind of weird fever dream...). True, S3 has some of the all-time worst in there too ("Spock's Brain" "And the Children Shall Lead"), but on the whole, I believe no TOS lover's collection is complete without it, really.

But overall? S2 is my favorite.

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Sim   

I just join most of you here... for me, it's season 2, closely followed by season 1.

Season 3 has a couple of really good episodes too, but on the bottom line is not as good as the first and second.