Sign in to follow this  
Dillkid

Does The Animated Series count in the Star Trek canon?

I've seen all of TAS and I actually enjoyed them. There are a few episodes I'd like to forget ('Bem'), but overall I don't think all the stories are necessarily more ludicrous than some of the TOS episodes.

Or for that matter some of the VOY and ENT episodes. ;)

Fandom itself is chaos. :laugh:

Besides, no one can dictate what is 'official' or not.

All expressions of ST have their relative merit regardless of whether they are officially sanctioned by Paramount or not.

ST fans need to tear up the rule books sometime.... ;)

I'd agree with that. I essentially selectively decanonize things as I watch them and they don't gel with my vision of things (like Nemesis is canon but theres stuff in there that I'd just as soon pretend some things in there didn't happen).

I consider TAS to essentially be a 4th season of TOS (and I sort of feel as if the movies are like a final season for the original crew). So I think it's as canon as anything else. It doesn't do anything so out there and goofy that I need it to be ousted. Canon debates always seem odd to me, if it works for you it can be canon, and if it doesn't pretend it didn't happen. I liked it so it's canon!

Way+to+Eden+1.jpg "Yay brother! We reach...."

For me? "Canon" is whatever the hell I want it to be. I can ignore ST5 and most of VGR, and I can enjoy TAS (which I too, consider a '4th season' of ST; just as I consider the Phase 2 fan films to be a fifth season). I enjoy them, therefore (to me) they are. :P

I think ST fans (all of us) just need to loosen up a bit.... ST 'history' is fictional; and hardly written in stone.

I like this idea. After all, if we think about it everything that happened with Khan, in both the original version and the reboot in another alternate reality, could be decanonized because it really is far-fetched to believe that the events that happened with Khan's rise in what Roddenberry himself had was suppose to happen in the 1990's was later canonized as happening in secret and without many people's knowledge and that's why the Voyager two-part episode, Future's End was able to take place, for the most part, in a 1990's (the actual for the most part real 1990's) where no one ever heard of Khan and his disciples. I know we have conspiracy theories in reality, but I just can't imagine, at all, that a person like Khan or his disciples and the Botany Bay ship could be launched in so much secrecy. Just would stretch the imagination and those conspiracy theories to a ridiculous degree.

So, I agree canon should be what you want to make it. Star Trek is fictional -- although for the most part it is a type of tuture that I would hope humans would get to at some point in time (it's so much more positive and hopeful altogether for humans and their future then much of science fiction is) that all this stupidity about what is canon and what isn't is just that: Stupidity. And as Spock might say, "Illogical."

Sign in to follow this