Hotel Royale

102 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.Picard

Omega Sector Moderator, Jean-Luc's Loving Husband

• Moderators
  • 18,510 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:19 PM

Okay, here's my latest project, the one I kept babbling about. Since I'm completely finished with the Discovery Afterburn ficlets and finished with the Unbreakable ficlets for now, I think it's time to start this latest project.

A few words first... this story has nothing to do with Star Trek. Well, almost nothing - it is the novel that is mentioned in the episode "The Royale", which is, as we all know, my favorite TNG episode.

Some disclaimery stuff: I don't own some of the characters, the novel idea comes from Paramount and I make no money with this, it's just a fan fic that is longer than my usual stuff but still by no means a really long novel.

The rating is R due to violence and language. But nothing too graphic, of course - wouldn't want to break forum rules.

It also features NO slash. Slashy behavior sometimes, definitely (hey, I wrote it! lol) but no openly gay characters and all.

Also please keep in mind that the folks in the actual TNG episode refer to this as a "badly written book". I tried my best to make it not really totally awful, but I had to fill it with clichťs, stereotypical women and whatnot.

HOTEL ROYALE
A novel by Todd Matthews
(not really, itís written by me, Mrs.Picard)

PROLOGUE

It was a dark and stormy night. No one in his or her right mind would go out at this point - or so it would have been if the dark and stormy night had been that of an ordinary American city.

But this was not an ordinary city.

This was Vegas.

A tall figure emerged from the darkness. The bright glow of the street lights lit up a face - a face that one easily forgot. Plain, bland, no big nose, no scar, no nothing.

Which was precisely why the owner of the face was always careful to keep it that way. He was aware of the fact that he would almost certainly lose his job (and most likely also his life, for he had seen too much) if his face were to be damaged in any way. The boss preferred his men's faces to be as bland as possible - just in case there were unexpected witnesses who then would have a hard time recalling the face of the killer.

The man reached inside the pocket of his coat and looked around. He was on his way to the outskirts of Vegas that were far away from the slot machines, the lights and the fancy hotels. This was his real territory - or rather, the bossí real territory.

He pulled out his silver gun and looked at it. It was still warm from the five shots he had fired a few minutes ago. The man he had shot had been tied to a chair, so, the whole thing hadn't exactly been very exciting. He had had much more fun with the three men he had shot before that other guy.

The man smiled coldly at the memory, put the gun back into his coat and walked on. The darkness enveloped him once more, his footsteps becoming fainter and fainter.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Ael

Daughter of a General

• 10,658 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:37 PM

Good, but creepy! Can't wait to see where this goes.

"Certain it is and sure: love burns, ale burns, fire burns, politics burns, but cold were life without them." - Romulan proverb

#3 Mr.Picard

• Moderators
  • 18,510 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:00 PM

View PostAel, on 01 August 2009 - 04:37 PM, said:

Good, but creepy! Can't wait to see where this goes.

Thank you! Hehe well I obeyed the plot the episode offered me... so we already know that someone gets shot and all... hehe. It was very fascinating to write it, though! :biggrin:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Ael

Daughter of a General

• 10,658 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

I should look for the ep on youtube and re-watch it. I honestly don't think I've seen it in close to 15 years. :blush: I remember bits and pieces of it, but thats about all!

"Certain it is and sure: love burns, ale burns, fire burns, politics burns, but cold were life without them." - Romulan proverb

#5 Mr.Picard

• Moderators
  • 18,510 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:25 PM

View PostAel, on 01 August 2009 - 05:17 PM, said:

I should look for the ep on youtube and re-watch it. I honestly don't think I've seen it in close to 15 years. :blush: I remember bits and pieces of it, but thats about all!

Well it's even better if you don't remember much about the episode... it's not necessary to know anything about it in order to understand what's going on in the fan fic. (I hope, at least! *lol*)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Starblind

Trekkie Goth.

• 10,268 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:08 PM

A sinister and dark beginning to the story *note to self Don't read before bedtime* :giggle:

"Ah, you seek meaning. Then listen to the music, not the song." - Ambassador Kosh Naranek

Posted Image

#7 Mr.Picard

• Moderators
  • 18,510 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:11 PM

View PostStarfire, on 01 August 2009 - 06:08 PM, said:

A sinister and dark beginning to the story *note to self Don't read before bedtime* :giggle:

Don't worry, it won't get much darker than that... I think. :devil: :laugh: I guess I just love writing dark stuff. :devil:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Miranda Fave

Border Dog

• 1,409 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:58 PM

A very mysterious start. Obviously short and vague but it's a sneaky way getting a reader intrigued as to what the heck is going on. :huh: Don't know what episode this is - sorry I know thaough that it is your favourite - but the tale could be promising. Will check back to see how it develops.
My Border Patrol fanfic: KESTREL - Hunting Grounds
My Border Civilian Cargo Freighter fanfic: The Adventures of the Rhapsody Rabbit GavilŠn
My NX Border Patrol fanfic: FALCON - Border Dogs
My Dominion War fanfic: ACCIPITER - The Advent of War

#9 Mr.Picard

• Moderators
  • 18,510 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:01 PM

View PostMiranda Fave, on 02 August 2009 - 09:58 PM, said:

A very mysterious start. Obviously short and vague but it's a sneaky way getting a reader intrigued as to what the heck is going on. :huh: Don't know what episode this is - sorry I know thaough that it is your favourite - but the tale could be promising. Will check back to see how it develops.

Aww thank you! Hehe yes it's supposed to be mysterious. All gangsta thingy novels are mysterious like that I think. (I've actually barely read any. But ssssh, don't tell anyone! LOL!)

The Royale. It's one of the most underrated episodes ever IMO. ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Miranda Fave

Border Dog

• 1,409 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:12 PM

Stage whisper: Your secret is safe with me.
My Border Patrol fanfic: KESTREL - Hunting Grounds
My Border Civilian Cargo Freighter fanfic: The Adventures of the Rhapsody Rabbit GavilŠn
My NX Border Patrol fanfic: FALCON - Border Dogs
My Dominion War fanfic: ACCIPITER - The Advent of War

#11 Mr.Picard

• Moderators
  • 18,510 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:15 PM

View PostMiranda Fave, on 02 August 2009 - 10:12 PM, said:

Stage whisper: Your secret is safe with me.

*whispers back* Thank you! :giggle:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Mr.Picard

• Moderators
  • 18,510 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:31 AM

- 1 -

"It canít go on like this," Apone said and waved his fat hand that was holding a cigar.

"Whatíre we síposed to do?" Maroon snarled. "Shoot Mickey D?"

"Donít mention that name in here, you idiot!" Gorley hissed. "You know that his spies are everywhere!"

Apone inhaled the smoke of his cigar. "Relax, Gor. No one ainít here but us. And we personally inspected this room before we went in."

Gorley looked around with his one eye. "I still think itís suicide for us to even meet."

"Well, go ahead and leave if ya want Mickey D to continue to be the one who runs the whole show," Apone said calmly.

"You want him to share? Heís gonna share something with us, alright - a bunch of bullets!"

"Not if we make sure that he ainít got no gun."

"Yeah - as if thatís likely. Mickey D without a gun. Even if - what about his men?"

"They can be dealt with."

"Oh, sure. We just ask them to leave or what?"

Apone gritted his teeth. He had had a feeling that it would not be easy to convince his two adversaries - he was in fact glad that he had even managed to get them to come here without shooting everyone in sight.

But still, they were way too afraid of Mickey D. Of course he knew what that man would do to them if he ever found out about this meeting, but really - he had no other options. His small Ďorganizationí (he loved that word) was what it was: Small. He (and the two men who were sitting there with him) had no real influence on anything. In fact, they all depended on Mickey D for pretty much everything.

No fake dollars without Mickey D.
No games at the Royale without Mickey D.
No getting rid of unpleasant people without Mickey D.

Sure, it was possible to strike deals without handing Mickey D over 80 per cent of the profit - but the consequences for such actions were something that neither Apone nor the two others were inclined to face.

"Remember what happened to Flinn last night," Gor was saying. "Tried to rig a Blackjack game here at the Royale - without asking Mickey D. And now a box is his new home."

"He was a fool," Apone said.

"Yeah. And we ainít gonna be no fools," Maroon grumbled. "I wanna live for a while, thanks."

"Iím not saying we rig something here at the Royale. Not under these circumstances."

"Then whatís your deal, anyway?" Gor asked. "Youíre all big talk, but when it comes down to plans, all you do is pussyfoot around."

Apone waved his hand again. "I thought we could all come up with a few ideas."

"Right. So that, if Mickey D finds out, you can always claim we came up with the whole plan, right?"

Apone smiled coldly. "Exactly, Gor."

"No way, man. This ainít gonna work." Maroon shook his head. "Not wií me, anyway."

"Fine!" Apone was losing patience - rapidly. "Then letís just go and take care of our own damn business - which ainít no business at all as long as Mickey D's around."

His two adversaries looked at him in silence - but neither of them moved.

"Right. Now thatís more like it."

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Starblind

Trekkie Goth.

• 10,268 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:51 PM

And so the plotting, back stabbing and shady goings on begin :devil:

I love these gangster euphamisms though .. 'And now a box is his new home' and so on ;)

"Ah, you seek meaning. Then listen to the music, not the song." - Ambassador Kosh Naranek

Posted Image

#14 Mr.Picard

• Moderators
  • 18,510 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:15 PM

View PostStarfire, on 03 August 2009 - 12:51 PM, said:

And so the plotting, back stabbing and shady goings on begin :devil:

I love these gangster euphamisms though .. 'And now a box is his new home' and so on ;)

Well, it has to be a "web of crime, corruption and deceit", after all! ;)

LOL I totally made that one up with the box, I had no idea if it would work... I'm still nowhere near a native speaker when it comes to gangster speech... but hey, I'm trying! Glad you like!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Ael

Daughter of a General

• 10,658 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:20 PM

Its a great start so far!

#16 Mr.Picard

• Moderators
  • 18,510 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:43 PM

View PostAel, on 04 August 2009 - 05:20 PM, said:

Its a great start so far!

Thank you very much!!! Glad you like! :blush:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Mr.Picard

• Moderators
  • 18,510 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:34 PM

"Rien ne va plus!"

ĎPlease... black... come on... black...í

Hudley looked at his last chips that he had just put onto the table. If he lost this game, there would be hell to pay later - for the money with which he had bought the chips had not been his. He clearly remembered the three men in their fancy black suits who had given him the small suitcase filled with dollar bills.

"Donít forget that Mickey D always gets his money back," one of them had told him before they had opened the door for him and he had walked out of the hotel room.

Why the hell had he done that?!

Right - Gloria, his rather obnoxious wife.

He had had one hell of an argument with her... and then he had just taken all the money they had kept in their safe at home, had thrown it onto the backseat of his car and had driven to Vegas.

And then he had started gambling here at the Royale - just like back then in the good old days before he had gotten to know Gloria. And, also just like back then, he had lost all the goddamn money in no time.

He knew he could not return home without any money - Gloria would rip his head off (and something else, too). So, in his desperation, he had tried to find out who to turn to in Vegas nowadays if one needed huge amounts of money without being asked unnecessary questions.

The meeting between him and Mickey D's men had been brief - and they had made it quite clear that their boss expected to be paid back before Hudley left Vegas, or... no, he didnít want to think about that one now.

Hudley wiped the sweat off his forehead and watched the small roulette ball.

His plan had been to gamble again and to win enough money to make Gloria happy and to pay Mickey D back.

The ball dropped into a red pocket... and remained there.

Hudley stared at his last chips as they were taken away.

Things were definitely not going according to plan.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Starblind

Trekkie Goth.

• 10,268 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:25 PM

I think someone's going to be wearing concrete shoes and sleeping with the fishes before very much longer (dead basically) ... mind still preferable to being castrated by the furious spouse for pissing all their money away at the roulette wheel :laugh:

Posted Image

#19 Mr.Picard

• Moderators
  • 18,510 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:33 PM

View PostStarfire, on 06 August 2009 - 03:25 PM, said:

I think someone's going to be wearing concrete shoes and sleeping with the fishes before very much longer (dead basically) ... mind still preferable to being castrated by the furious spouse for pissing all their money away at the roulette wheel :laugh:

I won't say anything! :biggrin: But yeah, Hudley's definitely VERY afraid of his wife. As he should be.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Mr.Picard

• Moderators
  • 18,510 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:12 AM

Last part of chapter 1! (Almost done with introducing the characters. Quite a lot of people in this book... I'm sorry, but I had to work with what the episode gave me! *hides*)

--------------------------

"And I don' wanna hear no more from you either!" Texas yelled and threw the phone onto the hook.

What was it with women, anyway? He had given his ex wife everything, hadn't he? The car (well, from time to time, at least), money, his attention, flowers, dinner invitations - all that fancy stuff women liked. And what had he gotten in return?

Right - a divorce and unreasonable demands for more and more money. The hell with her - he wasn't going to give her even more! He'd call his lawyer - but that could wait until he got back from Vegas.

Texas smiled and looked at his new car outside. First thing he had done after the divorce had been to sell their old car and buy a decent new one. And there it was now - the best car he had ever had. What made the whole thing even better was the fact that it would be his car and no one else's.

Texas walked up to the shelf in the corner of the room, took the bottle of whiskey that he had placed there earlier and walked back to the window.

It was a miracle that Teri had left him the house. After all their vicious arguments he had expected her to take it all and leave him naked on the street or something. But no, she had just taken her things and left. Hell, he'd already have forgotten about her completely if she hadn't developed that nasty habit of calling him at least twice a month, asking for more money.

Texas took a sip of whiskey and immediately felt better. The fact that he'd soon be elsewhere made him smile.

Vegas... the city of dreams and gambling... and of decent women who appreciated a nice man like him - sure, the fact that he had quite a few dollars in his pockets would help, too....

Vegas was going to be the greatest time of his life.

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users