Sign in to follow this  
JayTheTrekkie

Children of Time

Episode Name: Children of Time

Episode Number: 22

Production Number: 520

Season: 5

Directed by: Allan Kroeker

Summary: When the Defiant passes through an energy barrier, the crew is greeted by their descendants, the result of an anomaly which caused the Defiant to crash on a planet, 200 years back in time. The crew must choose whether to let themselves be stranded and allow Kira to die, or to wipe out the existence of the colony.

I liked seeing how the crew battled with the decsision of whether to stay or go, it was a great moral episode. I give it an 8.

A great episode to be sure, one of those moral episodes definitely. I liked seeing these descendants, particularly how O'Brien was. Or the Sons of Mogh which seemed like some Worf reenactment group. That moment with the boy asking if Worf could kill someone with a look.

"Only when I'm angry."

A moment that I liked but also reminded me of Insurrection was when the crew joined in with the harvest. What iffed me a bit was the Kira/Odo but there we go.

Guest jadzia_dax2370

hi all

totaly agree with voyager, its one of my fave epsisode (second to change of heart)

What happened to the crew was very special as no one gets to see their mark on time 200 years later. The moral dilemma of the episode is one of the reasons that I love sci-fi. If I were in that situation, I think i would have left. I would hate to erase those people's time line, but I wouldn't take it as far as Kira did to say that I was sentencing them to death. I would see it more as un-creating them. In addition, they all have responsibilities--especially Sisko to the Bajorans. It wouldn't be fair to abandon them in the heat of emotion.

I think I would have left as well. I'm too selfish to have stayed. Although, what with the Dominion and all, I might have decided to stay just because it was safer.

It all depends on what you'd be leaving behind really. Yes, if you left you'd be altering a time line that is yet to happen, but how the hell would your loved ones feel about you and your ship simply vanishing, without a trace, with no prospect of closure in their lives?

8,this episode shows that after 200 years odo stills love kira and that he didnt want to see her died again and change the history of the planet so that she could get better back at the station

One of Rene Auberjonois' strongest performances, which says a great deal, given his extraordinary acting ability. I remember genuinely aching for Odo as he pleaded with Kira to return to Deep Space 9, and also feeling sorry for him as Kira berated his younger self for his decision to alter the Defiant's flight-plan. This episode doesn't receive enough praise for its ability to capture the essence of the series' characters (minus Jake and Quark, who were absent), each of whom delivered a powerful performance in what was perhaps the most heart-wrenching episode of the entire fifth season.

I've often wondered about the fallout from "Children of Time," other than the continued development of Odo's feelings for Kira. What did Sisko, Dax, Bashir, and others enter into their personal logs? What did they share with Starfleet, in the form official reports? Was the mission discussed with friends or family? These are interesting questions that we will likely never have the answer to, but it's certainly interesting to speculate.

--Captain Sisko

Why do episodes this this one always ended the same.the planet's inhabitants are gone but the crew will always remember them,just for once i want to see a epsiode where they do not remember.

Really good episode. I give it a 10. Besides the moral question, there was good character development. I liked the little touch of having Odo look more human now that he had gotten better at mastering his shape-shifting.

Really good episode. I give it a 10. Besides the moral question, there was good character development. I liked the little touch of having Odo look more human now that he had gotten better at mastering his shape-shifting.

I'm surprised that this idea wasn't expanded upon, given that he linked with his counterpart. Although I wouldn't have expected Odo to suddenly be able to duplicate humanoid faces more closely, it would have been nice to see gradual improvement.

--Mr. Spock

This was the rare case of a 'reset button' episode with consequences. Yes, the status quo is returned by the end of the episode, but everything is NOT the same. The memory of all of those people and what they built are still with the crew (and presumably in the crew's logs). And how could you NOT remember meeting your own descendants? This episode has a touch of "City on the Edge of Forever" to it; the utter tragedy of meeting (and even getting to know and love) people who you know can never be...

I give it a 10. It kind of breaks my heart every time I watch it. I love the sad, beautiful poignancy of the last harvest together.... :(

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I really dislike this episode because of really stupid and anti-star trek ending.

Sisko decision to leave the planet was very selfish. He basically killed all those people.

I really dislike this episode because of really stupid and anti-star trek ending.

Sisko decision to leave the planet was very selfish. He basically killed all those people.

Um... no.

Sisko left the planet thinking that history would repeat itself and that they would crash again. He wanted to SAVE the colony by letting events run their course.

It was the older version of ODO who found a way around the problem that caused their crash so that he could (selfishly) save Kira's life (he was in love with her). Older Odo locked the Defiant's autopilot so that they couldn't crash. When the ship didn't crash, Sisko was surprised. The Defiant crew left the planet expecting to crash again (as they had before), but didn't for older Odo's interference. And Odo later revealed to Kira that his older counterpart linked with him and told him what he'd done. You missed the entire point of the ending.

And what is "anti-Star Trek" anyway? :confused:

I don't get that.....

Edited by Sehlat Vie

/sigh/ He didn't decide to kill anyone. He wanted to remain behind so that those people would LIVE. They were trying to recreate the accident so that it SAVES the people there. Sisko and the Defiant crew made the sacrifice to leave their loved ones behind so the people on the planet would live on. Future-Odo sabotaged it to save Kira.

Did you even watch the episode?

I give the episode a 10. Had a more realistic and sad ending, then the crappy reset button ones from the other shows.

/sigh/ He didn't decide to kill anyone. He wanted to remain behind so that those people would LIVE. They were trying to recreate the accident so that it SAVES the people there. Sisko and the Defiant crew made the sacrifice to leave their loved ones behind so the people on the planet would live on. Future-Odo sabotaged it to save Kira.

Did you even watch the episode?

I give the episode a 10. Had a more realistic and sad ending, then the crappy reset button ones from the other shows.

Agreed.

This is one time the 'reset' button doesn't really apply because those people STILL EXIST in the memories of the crew; who spent time living among them. Some of whom they grew close to. How could you NOT want your own descendants to survive?

It wasn't like VGR's "Year of Hell" where all this hellacious s#!t happens and not a single character remembers ANY of it. Even in "Yesterday's Enterprise", Guinan seemed to know the timeline was restored and Sela Yar was born from the alternate Tasha.

I remember liking this episode, although it's been about a decade since I've seen it. The descriptions in this thread are jogging my memory of it. I never bought Kira-Odo, but his decision was a neat twist.

I may prefer Voyager, but c'mon this was not a '1' by a long shot. How is this episode among the worst of DS9's run? The DS9 fans are at least being objective when posting in the Voyager episode discussion forum, I don't know why you can't do the same.

Edited by Hammer

Anyone else find it funny that Bashir was going on and on about his many descendents? Did he have a polygomy thing going or something? :P Actually, he mentions that he married this really beautiful officer and kept going on and on about. I think he was the only one that really liked that alternate future. :P

BTW, are Trill Symbionts immortal? It was already over a century old and last two more centuries? The Dax symbiont sure did last a long time...

Sign in to follow this