Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

Yesteryear

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Yesteryear

TAS Season 1, Episode 2

WRITTEN BY

D.C. Fontana

DIRECTED BY

Hal Sutherland

First Aired Sep 15, 1973

Stardate 5373.4

Upon returning from Orion’s past, Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock find that the Vulcan first officer never existed. Using the Guardian of Forever, Mr. Spock must return to his own past to ensure his survival.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love this episode. I give it a 10.

One nitpick though, is that The Guardian of Forever stated before that it can only show history in a particular way, i.e. in a linear form, going from beginning to end. Here Spock was able to choose a specific time to be shown.

I know this episode as well (as I said, haven't seen much TAS)... I also think that it's a very, very good one. I love that Sarek's in it, of course. :angel_not: And I really loved how attached Spock was to his pet sehlat (sp??). Aww. :)

Episode gets a 9 from me! :thumbsup2:

Probably the best if not top-3 animated episode. Sharp and excellent. 8

Yesteryear

TAS Season 1, Episode 2

WRITTEN BY

D.C. Fontana

DIRECTED BY

Hal Sutherland

First Aired Sep 15, 1973

Stardate 5373.4

Upon returning from Orion's past, Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock find that the Vulcan first officer never existed. Using the Guardian of Forever, Mr. Spock must return to his own past to ensure his survival.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love this episode. I give it a 10.

One nitpick though, is that The Guardian of Forever stated before that it can only show history in a particular way, i.e. in a linear form, going from beginning to end. Here Spock was able to choose a specific time to be shown.

If I remember correctly, anyone using the Guardian of Forever could specify a specific time and place that he wanted to visit. The Guardian's statement about offering the past in a particular manner was in response to Kirk's query about changing the speed at which history was reviewed.

--Mr. Spock

Despite the poor animation, this one ranks a 10.

The loss of a beloved pet, altering personal history and seeing yourself through adult eyes are all heady topics for (what was theoretically supposed to be) a Saturday morning 'kids' show. Dorothy Fontana really "got" Spock as few other TOS/TAS writers ever really did. This is the BEST of TAS, and even though TAS had many issues (overly simple animation, overuse of the same voice talent, etc), this stories occasionally touched on really good ideas now and then. And "Yesteryear" ranks among the best of the best of TAS (so much so that it is even loosely referenced in ST09).

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Just saw this one, and loved it; I always love getting more insight into Vulcan culture in general and Spock in particular. I don't find it as easy to empathize with the animated characters, since their faces don't show that much, but I was genuinely moved when adult Spock hugged I-Chaya and said that he regretted having cost him his life, then eased his pain.

I was telling my husband about the episode, and he said, "ALL THAT happened in 20 minutes?" I said, "It was written by D. C. Fontana; remember how packed with events her "Journey to Babel" was?

I love Dorothy Fontana; I wish they had her on the Abrams writing team!

Edited by Corylea

Just saw this one, and loved it; I always love getting more insight into Vulcan culture in general and Spock in particular. I don't find it as easy to empathize with the animated characters, since their faces don't show that much, but I was genuinely moved when adult Spock hugged I-Chaya and said that he regretted having cost him his life, then eased his pain.

I was telling my husband about the episode, and he said, "ALL THAT happened in 20 minutes?" I said, "It was written by D. C. Fontana; remember how packed with events her "Journey to Babel" was?

I love Dorothy Fontana; I wish they had her on the Abrams writing team!

One weeps to think of the lost opportunity..... :(

Sign in to follow this