Sign in to follow this  
JayTheTrekkie

Hard Time

Episode Name: Hard Time

Episode Number: 19

Production Number: 491

Season: 4

Directed by: Alexander Singer

Summary: On a mission to Argratha in the Gamma Quadrant, Chief O'Brien has been convicted of espionage. As punishment, the Argrathi give him false memories of twenty years in prison. When he returns to Deep Space Nine, O'Brien has trouble readjusting to life on the station.

Goei   

A neat ep. I remember an early Voyager ep(Ex Post Facto) coming up with this idea two years previous. Still it has legs. I give it a 9.

I never understood the purpose of this episode, beyond continuing the tradition of at least one "O'Brien suffers" episode per season.

--Captain Sisko

I always thought of this episode as the "Combat your inner enemies" story.

maneth   

Not one of my favorites to be honest... Some pretty good acting by Colm Meaney though.

Another one of my faves, I love O'brien centred episodes, CM is such a brilliant actor I think that really that is the point behind this one, just a chance to let him shine! Poor O'brien, having to go through all that. DS9 has so much character development and it's episodes like this that allow that, this affects him for a long time, as it would anyone.

Benedict   

One of those make O'Brien as miserable as you bloody well can episodes.

Interesting showing O'Brien's descent into, well near madness. Meaney does well with what he has. Trivially: woefully short on Worf and Jadzia.

Vendi   

poor, poor O'brien... I liked this one a lot though, was very interesting and i think meany did a wonderful job in portaying the broken down O'brien

Voyager   

I think this is an amazing episode. I still can't get my head around how psychologically damaging an experience that must have been.

There are a couple of things I don't get though. First, how did O'Brien know Ekaar (sp?) was going to share the food with him? Second, I don't see how that race found that form of punishment effective. We saw what it did to O'Brien - it turned him from a kind man to a violent, angry person. I don't see how that helps society in any way.

Dervish   

Wow. It's a dark, demented version of "The Inner Light", with a healthy serving of "O'Brien must suffer" added for good measure.

Colm Meaney did an outstanding job!

Everyone else has already said it, but... another "torture O'Brien" episode. :P

Not a fan of this ep. I remember pretty much falling asleep towards the end... it just goes on and on and nothing happens. :thumbdown:

Edited by GenesisDevice

8 hours ago, Explorer3 said:

I think this might be one of the most depressing episodes in the entirety of Trek. Really heavy.

It is, but I found myself drawn to it nevertheless.

I just wish that O'Brien's experiences hadn't been so quickly forgotten... it would've been interesting to see if those experiences lingered in him long afterward, much in the same way that "Inner Light" profoundly changed Jean-Luc Picard. 

Sign in to follow this