Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr.Picard

Masks

34 posts in this topic

Watched it today and I have to say, I did not really care for it, dozed off 3 or 4 times at least during!

4/10

Edited by MS1-DS9-Fan

I'm siding with the likers on this episode. :)

As was said before, the plot leaves many questions unanswered and is rather pointless, but I can perfectly forgive this episode for that because of Spiner's great performance and the general atmosphere of the episode (especially the music). It's an episode I just thoroughly enjoy watching.

Maybe it helps that when I first watched it, summer holidays had just started the same day (or the day before), I was looking forward to a long break from school and was about going on holidays to the beach with my parents ... the prospect of three weeks in Spain with 30°C+, just chilling at the beach or on a terace reading Star Trek novels and drinking ice tea. That was the mood when I first watched "Masks". The setting was just so awesome that I can't help but loving that episode.

Easily gets 7/10 points from me.

Edited by Sim

As was said before, the plot leaves many questions unanswered and is rather pointless, but I can perfectly forgive this episode for that because of Spiner's great performance and the general atmosphere of the episode (especially the music). It's an episode I just thoroughly enjoy watching.

Maybe it helps that when I first watched it, summer holidays had just started the same day (or the day before), I was looking forward to a long break from school and was about going on holidays to the beach with my parents ... the prospect of three weeks in Spain with 30°C+, just chilling at the beach or on a terace reading Star Trek novels and drinking ice tea. That was the mood when I first watched "Masks". The setting was just so awesome that I can't help but loving that episode.

I read here a few weeks back, that you'd watched and you liked it, so I did try and like it but it did not hold my attention and if it's because I was tired or the episode did not hold my attention, I dozed off more than once.

I read here a few weeks back, that you'd watched and you liked it, so I did try and like it but it did not hold my attention and if it's because I was tired or the episode did not hold my attention, I dozed off more than once.

I can see that in the end, it's really not such a good episode... much depends if you simply like the mood or not, and that's really just subjective. I guess I'd like it much less if it wasn't for the good memories of the days when I saw it first.

It's a great episode as a highlight for Spiner at least.

Doesnt matter how many times I watch masks,i don't understand the episode,it is an an usal one.

It was a high concept episode which didn't translate well on screen. It was a Sun-Moon worshiping culture, yet apparently more advanced than the Federation. Also, the Sun and Moon chase each other, but I think that's Earth-centric thinking. It seems to be fairly common for a moon to be tidally-locked to its home planet. Did this culture have a moon similar to our Luna? 

That said, I thought that Stewart and Spiner put in a pair of strong performances. I don't dislike this episode as much as I do some other S7 TNG episodes. It definitely was a miss though.

4/10

It was a high concept episode which didn't translate well on screen. It was a Sun-Moon worshiping culture, yet apparently more advanced than the Federation. Also, the Sun and Moon chase each other, but I think that's Earth-centric thinking. It seems to be fairly common for a moon to be tidally-locked to its home planet. Did this culture have a moon similar to our Luna? 

That said, I thought that Stewart and Spiner put in a pair of strong performances. I don't dislike this episode as much as I do some other S7 TNG episodes. It definitely was a miss though.

4/10

I agree with everything you said.  It's not the worst episode I've ever seen (i.e. Shades of Gray), but certainly nowhere near the greatest. 

I couldn't follow the episode when it first aired in Australia,still having problems understanding it.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0