Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Picard

Masks

Episode name: "Masks"

Season: 7

Director: Robert Wiemer

While investigating a rogue comet, the cultural archive concealed inside begins taking over the Enterprise. (Memory Alpha)

This episode gets WAY too much hatred IMO. I know it has no meaning whatsoever. I know it has a really weird plot that never really gets resolved. BUT... this is EXACTLY why I think it's so bad that it's actually brilliant. :P I adore how ridiculous Data and Jean-Luc look with these masks. And besides, the Picard/Female!Data stuff when they face each other as Masaka and Korgano is EPIC. *drool* lol.

I dunno, I just love the silly idea of turning the Enterprise into an old temple/city. lol. I also love Riker's line about the Observation Lounge now being a swamp. LOOOOL! Cracks me up, and I don't even really know why.

Knowing that shooting the episode was a REAL pain because Spiner and Stewart kept laughing hysterically because of the silly masks doesn't help muchly when it comes to taking it seriously either. :giggle:

But I really have to say, Spiner's acting in this episode is brilliant. I love the multiple Data personalities. :thumbsup2:

Spiner must have been wiped by the end of filming that, the amount of different personae he had to portray throughout.

One of the more imaginative episodes even if it ddin't make much sense at times.

Another one of my absolute favorites! I just love the obscurity of it all--it's just a classic adventure-style ep. A great idea, bringing in the ancient alien history. A fun episode, enough hating on it!!! *shakes fist*

Another one of my absolute favorites! I just love the obscurity of it all--it's just a classic adventure-style ep. A great idea, bringing in the ancient alien history. A fun episode, enough hating on it!!! *shakes fist*

Exactly! It's a fun episode (even though it was probably meant to be taken seriously LOL) and every show needs fun episodes. I really don't get the hatred it receives. There are FAR more worse episodes than this one. I mean hey, it at least features awesome masks. ;)

Voyager   

I like the beginning half of this episode, and I do like the civilization and the sun/moon metaphor, but the whole Enterprise being turned into an ancient city just was a little too much for me too swallow.

maneth   

I must say I agree with Voyager here. Although I admit that I liked watching Spiner in this one, he's a much better actor than people think, simply because Data has no real personality. Doesn't mean Spiner's an android! ;)

Exactly! It's a fun episode (even though it was probably meant to be taken seriously LOL) and every show needs fun episodes. I really don't get the hatred it receives. There are FAR more worse episodes than this one. I mean hey, it at least features awesome masks. ;)

Agreed, every show needs those 'fun' episodes, just to take a break from the usual stuff (like DS9: Take Me Out to the Holosuite...that was a good break from the whole Dominion War arc).

I like the mythology involved, and the mysteriousness of the sun/moon symbols.

Oh yeah, and Data portraying a female....looool for some reason, I couldn't really take that part seriously.

Agreed, every show needs those 'fun' episodes, just to take a break from the usual stuff (like DS9: Take Me Out to the Holosuite...that was a good break from the whole Dominion War arc).

I like the mythology involved, and the mysteriousness of the sun/moon symbols.

Oh yeah, and Data portraying a female....looool for some reason, I couldn't really take that part seriously.

Should've grown boobs to make it look more convincing... :P

Dillkid   

Brent Spiner's acting in this was excellent, but I don't like this one still somehow. I just find it very confusing, and I just don't see how the ship was supposed to have been transformed like that... Pretty bizarre. 5 out of 10.

I'm afraid I have to side with the haters on this one; about the only nice things I could say are that Spiner is amazing in multiple 'roles' and the idea of seeing wild greenery and stone temples aboard the sterile Enterprise was kind of dream-like and eerie, but the mythology was so convoluted and ultimately silly for me because it was of no consequence to any of the characters (besides Data; in 'possessed mode' yet again). I agree with the late writer Michael Piller on his mission statement for season three and beyond: That each new episode has to be about one of the main characters. It can't just be some random space phenomena, or focus entirely on new outside characters (Mary Sues); it has to involve one of the Enterprise officers in a personal or meaningful way otherwise it doesn't advance the characters.

This particular (IMO) was the one that got away; I really didn't have any emotional investment in the silly mythology or Data's myriad voices. After a half hour or so, it all kind of felt pointless to me. There are worse episodes to be sure (about 2/3 or season one or half of season 2), but this one just strikes me as an odd little experiment that didn't work...

It's fine, the more hate "Masks" get, the more love it gets from me. :P (It is pointless, though. I agree. Which is precisely why I love it.) Same goes for seasons 1 & 2, my favorites and no one else's.

*still a walking unpopular TNG opinion*

It's fine, the more hate "Masks" get, the more love it gets from me. :P (It is pointless, though. I agree. Which is precisely why I love it.) Same goes for seasons 1 & 2, my favorites and no one else's.

*still a walking unpopular TNG opinion*

Infinite diversity in infinite combinations, my friend. I have a whole mini-bookshelf full of DVDs that NO ONE else likes; my wife and I call it my DVD 'ghetto' (such titles as "Santa Claus Conquers The Martians" "Village of the Giants" "Blacula" "Billy Jack" "Monsters Crash the Pajama Party" and about 60 more).

As Woody Allen says, "The heart wants what it wants".... :biggrin:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I remember quickly not even caring about the plot. Spiner's delivery of his various acquired "personalities" was absolutely captivating for me and my family. It remains a favorite, somewhere in my personal top 25.

I remember quickly not even caring about the plot. Spiner's delivery of his various acquired "personalities" was absolutely captivating for me and my family. It remains a favorite, somewhere in my personal top 25.

That's the only reason I can watch the episode. Whenever I watch the episode, I go...."I don't want to watch it...but Brent Spiner's performance!" I nearly have a complete mental breakdown when it comes to whether I want to watch the episode or not. ;)

Spiner was good in this episode, but I simply despise the rest of it so much that I can't really enjoy it. It's just incoherence. A bunch of melodrama played out for a culture we didn't have time (or inclination) to really get into. Now, if it had been an ancient Klingon or Cardassian 'library comet' (or whatever it was) that would've been far more relevant (and interesting). Maybe an ancient Vulcan log buoy left behind from the exodus to what became Romulus? Data could've absorbed THAT instead, and played out a myriad of tyrannical, ancient proto-Romulan personalities. Sort of a 'living reenactment' of the exodus from Vulcan to Romulus! Something like that would've made all of that folklore bulls#!t more interesting to me as a fan. But as it is? It's just nonsense. It reminds me of something they would've done in season one...

Edited by Sehlat Vie

It's complete nonsense, which is why it's so brilliant. Really, Sehlat... sometimes you just HAVE to bow to the absurd! ;)

It's complete nonsense, which is why it's so brilliant. Really, Sehlat... sometimes you just HAVE to bow to the absurd! ;)

You mean like this?

I promise to bow whenever I look in the mirror.... :laugh:

That's not vain or anything. ;)

You mean like this?

Oh God.

But yeah. I knew that someone was going to realize that I quoted Jean-Luc. :P

That's not vain or anything. ;)

No, its not.

I meant that I'm bowing to the absurd.... myself. :P

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Sign in to follow this