Sign in to follow this  
JayTheTrekkie

Rate this Ship: Galaxy Class

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

I'm going to face lots of rotten tomatoes for this one, perhaps, but I give it a 5 - and I do that only because it's the TNG ship. I just dislike the huge saucer section and the interior is so... insanely bright. Y'know, the lights and all. Aaaah! It would hurt my eyes. ;) It's actually not really a ship on which I'd like to live - unless I could live in some obscure dark corner in a Jefferies tube or something. lol. The Jefferies tubes are awesome.

*runs and hides*

*gets bucket ready*

Nah, I'm kidding. I never used to like the saucer either, thought it was too big in proportion to the rest of it.

But I've seen the light :laugh: and now I love it to pieces. It's cool!

An eight from me.

It's not the saucer that bothered me (that much anyway), but those flat nacells. Compared to the original Enterprise, they always seemed to be saging. They looked too small compared to the rest of the ship. Enterprise - D has a "something's not right" look to it. I like how E corrected all of that.

A nine, not perfect but considering it was a product of the 80s, very good effort :laugh:

Edited by DaxFanDS9

I made a typo in the thread title lol should be Rate this not Ratet his lol Could a mod fix that? :P

Anyways, I give the Galaxy Class an 8...

You are capable of editing your orignal post and fixing the title of the thread. I do it to my fic thread all the time when I place a new chapter up.

^ ditto

As for the ship, get's a solid 10 from me.

There's so much I love about her, the saucer seperation, being somewhat of a template for the ships that came after her, hte idea of being a community in space with the families and so on, the fact the class is designed with empty decks so you can talior the sip to the mission at hand.

And the Dominion war showed she had a huge punch to back everything else up.

You are capable of editing your orignal post and fixing the title of the thread. I do it to my fic thread all the time when I place a new chapter up.

Ahhh, beat me to it :laugh:

Eight from me.

Okay, so it boils down to a flying hotel. It seriously is huge, and putting families aboard? What kind of twisted logic is that? Starfleet is the bloody military, for crying out loud, and you wanna put civilians in the firing line? I wonder how many of those civilians were killed over the years? Surely a few when the Borg carved up the saucer section "like a roast", or what about when that same saucer ploughed into Veridian III? And moving away from Picard's command, what about the USS Odyssey and her untimely death? So, minus one.

Minus another one for the multiple shuttlebays and truckload of features. Somebody sprung for the full extras package, for sure, but starships like the Galaxy-Class have spawned a horrible trend in fan circles to design "the biggest, the best, it has everything, whoa!" Frankly, this is boring. If your starship can do everything in the blink of an eye, where's the struggle? Where's the human element? Many a time in The Next Generation, the ship ran itself or was operated by one person. Snore!

Otherwise, she's a beauty to look at.

Okay, so it boils down to a flying hotel. It seriously is huge, and putting families aboard? What kind of twisted logic is that? Starfleet is the bloody military, for crying out loud, and you wanna put civilians in the firing line?

"Starfleet is not a military organization - its purpose is exploration." ;)

But seriously - you're right. I also question the logic when it comes to having children aboard. Civilians who are adults are putting themselves in danger willingly and I'm sure they also get some sort of basic training (like as in knowing what to do during an emergency and such). A ship like the Enterprise-D kinda needs at least a few civilians (bartenders, waiters, gardeners for the arboretum and such). But children? :confused:

I guess Starfleet did all this because it didn't want to have to force its officers into choosing between their children and a starship. And Gene did it because he wanted to have his Gary Stu Wesley Crusher aboard. It's still risky. I can sorta understand the whole thing during absolutely peaceful times.

But after that first Borg attack the first thing Starfleet should have done => get the children off the starships. I mean I'm not a parent, but I sure as hell would want my kid to be safe, even if it means we're often apart. And Starfleet knew that the Borg would be coming for them. Sure, kids are in danger as well on Earth perhaps (I mean accidents happen and all), but directly in the line of fire? Directly in front of a Borg cube while Starfleet KNOWS that it won't stand a chance against the Borg? No. That's just... wrong IMO. :dontgetit:

"I've always believed that carrying children on a starship is a very... questionable policy."

I take it BTW we are just rating the Galaxy Class, NOT the refit from All Good Things? (Which I guess you could call the Galaxy Class Deluxe? :P ) Just thinking as including that might change my rating is all.

I take it BTW we are just rating the Galaxy Class, NOT the refit from All Good Things? (Which I guess you could call the Galaxy Class Deluxe? :P ) Just thinking as including that might change my rating is all.

No, that one's the Rikermobile-class. :thumbsup2:

Seriously, I don't know... but my guess is that Jay would have included it in the topic title if it had been meant to be included. Hmm.

10, 10, 10, 10...I'd give it a 1,000 if I could! This is the ship I grew up with in my childhood, it's been my favorite, always. Only the Constitution, both original and refit, are equal to the majesty of this ship. I cried the first time I saw Generations.

As pain-in-the-ass Wesley said, "It's hard to get bored on this ship."

Eight from me.

Okay, so it boils down to a flying hotel. It seriously is huge, and putting families aboard? What kind of twisted logic is that? Starfleet is the bloody military, for crying out loud, and you wanna put civilians in the firing line? I wonder how many of those civilians were killed over the years? Surely a few when the Borg carved up the saucer section "like a roast", or what about when that same saucer ploughed into Veridian III? And moving away from Picard's command, what about the USS Odyssey and her untimely death? So, minus one.

The Oddyssey had all non essential crew and civilians disembark onto DS9 before going into the gamma quadrant Glenn

A cut scene from generations stated 18 people died on Veridian III (what's it with 18? 18 were lost in Q who by the way.)

The Yamato on the other hand, that went down with no survivors.

And I seem to remember the idea of having families being dropped on newer ships such as the Sovereign class anyway.

I'm not too keen on the lighting either. I guess it's namely part of the filming rather than it would be on an actual ship (like how submarines light internally). Always thought of the Galaxy as a kind of grand, elegant ship.

I agree with the whole "somethings not right" with the look of the ship. While I enjoyed the show, I disliked the ship. I like the Sovereign class. But I have fallen for another angel...have you seen the "new" Constitution class for the Trek game ? ahhhh.....she is a beaut to say the least.

While I enjoyed the show, I disliked the ship.

My thoughts exactly. :thumbsup2: I sometimes think it's a pity that they didn't use the Enterprise-E ( :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: ) for the show. (Okay okay we would have gotten an entirely different show then, perhaps.)

There are pictures on which the Galaxy-class looks good to me, but not that many. It really depends on the angle and all IMO.

^ I suppose the model of the galaxy class they used comes into it as well, Mrs P.

I love the later models they used, the ones with a lot more detail on the hull plating, escape pods etc, gives the ship a more 3 dimensional look, or to me anyway, if i'm making any sense here. :rolleyes:

The Enterprise E though.... achingly beautiful...I really can't see how they could improve on her. :inlove:

My thoughts exactly. :thumbsup2: I sometimes think it's a pity that they didn't use the Enterprise-E ( :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: ) for the show. (Okay okay we would have gotten an entirely different show then, perhaps.)

There are pictures on which the Galaxy-class looks good to me, but not that many. It really depends on the angle and all IMO.

This ship fits the time it was created in.. if TNG had been started in the mid 90s (instead of finishing then) then maybe we would not have had the flying hotel and got something more like the Sovereign straight away. NX01, Defiant and Voyager are the same, they fit when they were actually designed in RL.

This ship fits the time it was created in.. if TNG had been started in the mid 90s (instead of finishing then) then maybe we would not have had the flying hotel and got something more like the Sovereign straight away. NX01, Defiant and Voyager are the same, they fit when they were actually designed in RL.

I know... it would really have been an entirely different show. Darker and all, and I doubt I'd have liked it as much (am not a fan of the more recent Trek shows, after all). ;) But I still dream about having the Enterprise-E on TNG, I just can't help it. The Enterprise-E is also designed for exploration, not just for fighting... I know, the Galaxy-class fits best to TNG, but the Enterprise-E lover in me is just soooo frustrated that we never really got to see the Enterprise-E simply exploring the galaxy. ;)

/ramble (Oh no, not again. LOL.)

i give it a 9,when i first saw the galaxy class starship i wasnt a fan of this new enterprise but as the series got better, i change my mind i like it ,but not as much as much as i love the constitution class class enterprise.

Sign in to follow this