Voyager

The Way to Eden

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

202 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Voyager   

The Way to Eden

TOS Season 3, Episode 20

TELEPLAY BY

Arthur Heinemann and Michael Richards

STORY BY

Arthur Heinemann

DIRECTED BY

David Alexander

First Aired Feb 21, 1969

Stardate 5832.3

The Enterprise takes aboard insane Dr. Sevrin and his group of "hippie" followers on their quest to find the planet Eden, including one who is a long-lost-love of Ensign Chekov.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love this, I could have listened to them sing all day.

I was slightly disappointed by the ending though, I would have liked it if Eden was the paradise they described and prove the Enterprise crew wrong for once.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I hate this episode! :laugh: I hate all the singing and the space hippies. The only thing I find to be hilarious is that SPOCK is the only one they actually respond to. Spock, of all people! :laugh:

Gets a 3 from me. I really don't like it. *shudder*

7! :) Because it made me laugh so much. I absolutely LOVED the thing with Spock, and when he played his liar with them. Pure Spock fan candy.

I can sort of see the idea behind this god-awful plot, they had a message, they just failed miserably to convey it. I give the episode a 3 just for the Spock value :)

I liked it actually.

I found it interesting that Roddenberry used elements of that generation.

Like the space hippies, there music.

It's a odd episode especially for a star trek one but i enjoyed it. =]

Abena   
I found it interesting that Roddenberry used elements of that generation.

Like the space hippies, there music.

Indeed, that's one of my favorite things about Trek

TOS's third season was a bit weak. This episode further goes to prove it. This episode was decent. I'll give it a five.

Hiyasu   

Two words, Space Hippies.

This episode is second only to Spock's Brain in terms of terrible TOS episodes.

Spock's reaction to them is really weird too and kinda seemingly out of character.

That damn song though. I hate that damn song. It got stuck in my head for like a week once; it was absolutely horrible.

The message here was way too obvious and over the top.

Edited by Hiyasu

Abena   

Spock's reaction to them is really weird too and kinda seemingly out of character.

That damn song though. I hate that damn song. It got stuck in my head for like a week once; it was absolutely horrible.

Lol. I still haven't heard that song. I tend fast forward irrelevant moments like that.

Goei   

This was such a fun ep to watch that I gave it a 9 for pure entertainment value. :thumbsup2:

maneth   

I must say I agree with you. I can't stand Star Trek: The Musical. :P

Still, for a Spock fan it was sort of funny that he responded so well to them.

I know a lot of people loathe this episode, but I absolutely love it, just because of it's crazy absurdity. We reach.

With all the singing space hippies and their search for Eden, with Spock joining in a jam session....what's not to love?

Anyone who doesn't like this episode is obviously a Herbert.

Herbert! Herbert! Herbert!

Voyager   

Hey, if you replaced the wires on a bicycle wheel with the strings of a harp, who knows what sounds you could get out of it.

Benedict   

What a terrifically annoying episode. One of the few as a kid that annoyed me. The singing just gets beyond tiresome, the hippies well and dandy but just are stupid. Then there's the dialogue. But the plus side, if there is one, is I can now reference properly Ben Stiller's speech at the Star Trek30 thing. "Herbert, Herbert, Herbert."

Also Free Enterprise with their "stepping into Eden, yeaaaah brother."

but, dig Kirk's line to Chekov: "One of THEM was in the Academy?"

Edited by Mackenzie Calhoun

C.Lovett   

The only thing I did not like is when Chekov ran into his girlfriend or should I say his ex heartless girlfriend Irina, (She left him with saying goodbye is just omg cold and cruel)

Dillkid   

This really isn't as bad as most people make it out to be, I usually find hippies very annoying as well. But I just seemed to find the fun in this episode, it's just so 60s. All they needed was Austin Powers to run in, and it would be complete. The music was quite good, and Adam was pretty funny. It gets a 6.

Guest Vorta_Weyoun   
Guest Vorta_Weyoun

Eight stars.This is very funny episode in this series. I very like scene when they are sing song.

And of course i like scene when this space hippy had begun sing song in corridor that doctor Sevrin will be release.

Benedict   

It's a groovy episode that probably could've had a better edge if it had been McCoy's daughter rather than some love interest for Chekov or former interest. Still..."Herbert! Herbert! Herbert!"

Guest Vorta_Weyoun   
Guest Vorta_Weyoun

It's a groovy episode that probably could've had a better edge if it had been McCoy's daughter rather than some love interest for Chekov or former interest. Still..."Herbert! Herbert! Herbert!"

Yeah,i remember this moment when they stand on transporter pad and they say "Not go".

I give this one a surprising 7 (surprising even to me).

I know its really awful; and basically slams the entire counterculture movement of the '60s (something ST used to have much in common with) as a bunch of dirty, unruly savages. But its also so damn entertaining! It's a train wreck in frame-by-frame slow motion with digital enhancement to see every spark.

What's not to love in an episode where one of the characters looks like a '70s troll doll?

Troll-Doll-troll-dolls-1353646-302-450.jpg292px-TongoRad.jpg

The songs, while thoroughly awful, are also strangely memorable. My friends and I were on our way to a convention in L.A. once and we all (spontaneously) burst into song with "Headin' Out To Eden..." And so help me, we ALL knew the verses! Every single one. It was sick!

I love Dr. Severin, too. The only character with weirder ears than Spock. I'm sure Nimoy appreciated not being the butt of 'ear jokes' on set (for one week, anyway).

And the attempt at character development with Chekov (even though I loathe Chekov) was well-done. The scene with he and Irina where she explains why she left him was actually kind of moving. And her Russian accent was about as bad as Koenig's, so they were a match. I would've liked this episode better if they'd went through their initial script idea to have Irina be Joanna McCoy (aka Bones' daughter). The same actress could've played her too (unencumbered by a dodgy Russki accent). It would've also been very interesting also because her love interest was (at first) going to be Kirk! That would've set up some serious fireworks between McCoy and Kirk. We later see what this dynamic might've looked like in the New Voyages/Phase II fan film, "World Enough & Time" where Kirk finds himself attracted to Sulu's adult daughter. That attraction between Kirk and Joanna might've also caused friction among her fellow 'space hippies', since Kirk is representative of the very establishment they so loathe ("Herbert").

All in all, this episode (as it is, not as it could've been) is a laugh riot. :laugh:

The late Alan Napier is such a gas as Adam that I think I watch this episode mainly because of him! His frightening Shirley Temple wig, his memorable if awful songs, and his overall energy are just hilarious. He basically makes the show. He is even more charismatic (and certainly more funny) than the hippie leader, Dr. Severin (who also played Melakon in "Patterns of Force").

Some of Adam's lines are priceless:

"Gonna crack my knuckles and jump for joy; I got a clean bill of health from Dr. McCoy!"

(To Kirk): "Oh Herbert, you are STIFF!"

Spock: "He (Severin) is a carrier of a bacillus strain known as synthecaucous novae."

Adam: "Ain't that just awful.... you're makin' me cry."

Hard to believe Napier would go on to be the hard nosed sheriff in "Rambo" or the stern judge in "Philadelphia" or the right wing general in DS9's "Little Green Men" (the one who calls President Truman, "that piano-playing Democrat!"). He is easily the most memorable of the space hippies, and almost singlehandedly makes this one a 7 for me, when this episode has truly NO right to be so highly rated. :laugh::thumbup:

CharlesNapierStarTrek.jpg

Edited by Sehlat Vie