Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

The Lights of Zetar

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

The Lights of Zetar

TOS Season 3, Episode 18

WRITTEN BY

Jeremy Tarcher and Shari Lewis

DIRECTED BY

Herb Kenwith

First Aired Jan 31, 1969

Stardate 5725.3

While transporting Lieutenant Mira Romaine to Memory Alpha, the Enterprise is invaded by a mysterious energy storm that attacks the young officer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hate the way Romain is treated. Everyone refers to her as 'the girl' and treat her as though she's a child. Gets a 3.

I don't care muchly for this episode either. I dunno, it's not one I like to watch. I often forget what it's even about... which tells me that it really doesn't leave much of an impact. *lol*

It gets a 4 from me.

A great moment in Trek history when our resident miracle worker falls for a lovely lieutenant. Overall, a fun ep.

Yuck, I hated the way Romaine was treated. Besides, she was a Lieutenant, so she must've graduated from Starfleet Academy, yet she was treated with more condescension than male cadets would have been. Scotty should stick to his beloved engines if he's that patronizing to any females he likes.

Besides, I'm getting a bit tired of the "body snatcher" episodes by now.

Edited by maneth

Not terribly bad but nothing memorable, a sense of we've been here before. I appreciate the writer's effort to give someone other than Kirk a love interest or a squeeze but it's a bit irritating for some reason. Maybe worked better if she hadn't been attached to anyone. Dig Christine Chapel's Scottish accent.

Yes, it's the one where Kirk shields his eyes as if seeing something truly horrific. Kirk detractors note there is a blessed five minutes during the Zetar attack where our intrepid captain is mute.

Yes, it's the one where Kirk shields his eyes as if seeing something truly horrific. Kirk detractors note there is a blessed five minutes during the Zetar attack where our intrepid captain is mute.

thelightsofzetar_032.jpg

"Who...turned...on...two...girls...one...cup?" :laugh:

"The Lights of Zetar", a longtime favorite episode of mine, has received a great deal of criticism over the years.  Some of this is justified, of course, and while TLOZ may not be Star Trek at its best, it certainly doesn't qualify as Star Trek at its worst either.  My blog  http://defendinglightsofzetar.blogspot.com takes an in-depth look at this episode and provides readers with greater detail of the emotional and technical elements of the story, characters and actors than is evident in the episode alone.  It is a lengthy work, but one that I hope is also interesting and enjoyable reading.  Happy 50th Anniversary, Star Trek!! :thumbup:

"The Lights of Zetar", a longtime favorite episode of mine, has received a great deal of criticism over the years.  Some of this is justified, of course, and while TLOZ may not be Star Trek at its best, it certainly doesn't qualify as Star Trek at its worst either.  My blog  http://defendinglightsofzetar.blogspot.com takes an in-depth look at this episode and provides readers with greater detail of the emotional and technical elements of the story, characters and actors than is evident in the episode alone.  It is a lengthy work, but one that I hope is also interesting and enjoyable reading.  Happy 50th Anniversary, Star Trek!! :thumbup:

Like your blog layout!  Well done. :thumbup:

And I gotta say, TLOZ is an interesting episode; it's one of many TOS episodes that seemed to forecast a trend in pop entertainment.   Think about it:  "Piece of the Action" preceded "The Godfather" (1972), which begat a series of memorable mob movies (including the 2 GF sequels and "Goodfellas" 18 years later).   "Doomsday Machine" used a musical motif very similar to John Williams' memorable riff for JAWS ('du-da-du-da...'), as well as Decker being rather like JAWS' obsessed Quint.   "Paradise Syndrome" preceded a strong resurgence in Native American culture in the early '70s (in songs ["Cherokee Nation"], television shows and movies like "Billy Jack").

And TLOZ was all about spiritual possession, and it actually preceded William Peter Blatty's famous novel and movie "The Exorcist" (my favorite horror movie of all time; still spooks the s#!t out of me a bit).  Both feature a group of people working together to help a girl break free of possession by a seeming 'legion' of personalities (though in "The Exorcist" we discover it is "only one").   William Peter Blatty (coincidentally) began writing "The Exorcist" in 1969, the year of TLOZ's broadcast (the book was published in 1971, the movie came in 1973).  In both, the girl's personality is altered, and her voice is deeper whenever the spirits 'speak' through her.   And both have similar eerie scenes of the possessed girl levitating (Mira in the pressure chamber, Linda Blair's Regan MacNeil above her bed) and in both cases, the 'invading spirits' are driven out largely due to dedication and the power of love.

As a kid, TLOZ really freaked me out; the 'possessed' voices (that deep, inhuman garbled noise) really spooked me.   It was (IMO) one of the more interesting TOS attempts at genuine horror ("Wolf in the Fold" being another favorite of mine).

Nice to see the episode getting a little love too (I finally get the acronym in your name, BTW... guess I'm a bit slow sometimes). :giggle:

Just to let you know?  I think all of us on this board have a favorite piece of ST that is unloved by most; I am a big fan of The Animated Series (it was my first real exposure to ST as a kid; I started watching the live-action TOS reruns around the same time).

I'm also a huge fan of TOS S3 in general; yes, there are a few clunkers ("Spock's Brain" "And the Children Shall Lead") but I think that is true of each season.  And some of the standouts of that season are amazing.   My personal favorite S3 TOS episode is "All Our Yesterdays."   For me, it's Spock's "City on the Edge..." story, and I just love it! 

Sign in to follow this